• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Fucking Mass Shooting At US School

There is no God, but HE made us all equal.
Aha! Now I get why the Jewish/Christian/Muslim deity is such a messed-up dude: He's male, there are no female goddesses in his realm. He has no hope of getting laid!
If there is no God, where does equality come from? Certainly not nature. Even a cursory review of nature should disabuse an observer of such a thought.

quote-the-declaration-of-independence-dogmatically-bases-all-rights-on-the-fact-that-god-created-gilbert-k-chesterton-40-19-26.jpg

But we know that allele frequencies and traits (short vs. long twitch muscle fibers, sickle cell trait etc.) vary among different human populations. So why exclude the possibility that alleles that are correlated with aggression/criminality (such as the 2r allele of the MAOA gene) may also be unequally distributed?
We all know that everything is genetic. Except behavior, which springs miraculously from the soul.
The idea that behavior is solely genetically determined is incredibly stupid.
Maybe not solely genetic but the high heredity of behavior is well established in psychology. People just don’t like the results.

For sure. I'm certain destroying the psychology of a people for hundreds of years has no effect on subsequent generations. :rolleyes:
It’s clearly your own fault if you’re too lazy to rise up above your circumstances.
Well, why not? How are you helping anyone by telling them someone else to to blame for their troubles?

Aha! Now I get why the Jewish/Christian/Muslim deity is such a messed-up dude: He's male, there are no female goddesses in his realm. He has no hope of getting laid!
Except with Mary that one time, but that was 2000 years ago. Talk about blue balls the size of Neptune!

The heritability of self-control: A meta-analysis

Genes significantly contribute to differences in self-control: the overall heritability is 60%.
Is there a point to these apparently random references? Assuming for argument's sake that heredity accounts for 60% of all types of human behavior (a theoretical assumption), what would that mean?
If heredity plays a major factor in behavior - which it does - then it should be considered when formulating policy. But it isn't.
And how would that work?

Genes significantly contribute to differences in self-control: the overall heritability is 60%.
Is there a point to these apparently random references? Assuming for argument's sake that heredity accounts for 60% of all types of human behavior (a theoretical assumption), what would that mean?
If heredity plays a major factor in behavior - which it does - then it should be considered when formulating policy. But it isn't.
And how would that work?
Well, firstly by recognizing that most criminals commit crime because that's who they are. Restorative justice and drum circles aren't gonna change them.

And how would that work?
Well, firstly by recognizing that most criminals commit crime because that's who they are. Restorative justice and drum circles aren't gonna change them.
Ah, the lock’em up and throw away the key stupidity

Update on the Goshen stuation mentioned upthread:

Two arrested in Tulare County massacre investigation. One suspect shot during gunfight with ATF

Less than a month after six people — including a 10-month-old baby — were killed in a brutal cartel-style massacre, two men were arrested in a series of early morning raids law enforcement dubbed “Operation Nightmare.” The raids were carried out in three locations in Visalia and Goshen on Friday morning. One of the suspects, 35-year-old Angel Uriarte of Goshen, was shot during a gunfight with ATF agents. He was taken to an area hospital for surgery and was expected to survive. The other suspect, 25-year-old Noah Beard of Visalia, was arrested without incident.

If they've targeted the right assailants, it's looking like an offshoot of a long-time rivalry between prison gangs, the Nortenos and Surenos. They've maintained a sort of duopoly on crime in the Western US' prison system for more than two decades now. Goshen is not far from the boundary between their "territories", and the odds of their being involved in this situation were always high.

The case is being used by conservatives as leverage to force yet another revisting of the death penalty in California (a frequently relegislated and relitigated issue for us, ending most recently with a three year moratorium via gubernatorial executive order)

FFS

Mateen legally purchased a Sig Sauer SIG MCX semi-automatic rifle and a 9mm Glock 17 handgun,[113][114][115][116] the two firearms later used in the shooting, from a gun shop in Port St. Lucie two weeks before the shooting.[117] He also attempted to purchase body armor, but was unable to do so as the store where he tried to make the purchase did not sell the product he sought.[118][119] Several weeks before the attack, he attempted to purchase body armor and 1,000 rounds of bulk ammunition at another gun shop, but the staff became suspicious of him and turned him away. A salesperson at the shop then said he contacted the FBI, but federal officials said they had no record of such a report, and the local sheriff's office also said it was unaware of the incident.

Merchant coding has been a thing for quite a while. Every transaction is identified by the type of business it is--quite helpful to the credit card companies in reducing fraud (there will be more scrutiny of purchases that have a history of high fraud rates.) In some cases it's even required: This year my wife's medicare advantage plan gave her a debit card that can only be used on healthcare spending--transactions without the right code won't go through at all. I rather suspect if the credit card companies aren't allowed to track those transactions they'll simply be denied.

I hadn't thought of it but suddenly running up your available credit on guns would likely indicate a mass shooting/suicide in the planning.

Rachel Maddow now reporting a shooting on the Michigan State University Campus in East Lansing, Michigan.

Rachel Maddow now reporting a shooting on the Michigan State University Campus in East Lansing, Michigan.
Won't become a big story like Parkland because a) the suspect seems to be black and b) his weapon is just a handgun and not one of those scary rifles.

Mateen legally purchased a Sig Sauer SIG MCX semi-automatic rifle and a 9mm Glock 17 handgun,[113][114][115][116] the two firearms later used in the shooting, from a gun shop in Port St. Lucie two weeks before the shooting.[117] He also attempted to purchase body armor, but was unable to do so as the store where he tried to make the purchase did not sell the product he sought.[118][119] Several weeks before the attack, he attempted to purchase body armor and 1,000 rounds of bulk ammunition at another gun shop, but the staff became suspicious of him and turned him away. A salesperson at the shop then said he contacted the FBI, but federal officials said they had no record of such a report, and the local sheriff's office also said it was unaware of the incident.

The Sig Sauer MCX rifle should be under $3k. A Glock is a few hundred. What was he buying that could have possibly cost $26k total, like the twit whose tweet Ziprhead posted (Carlos somethingorother) claims?

Last edited:

The Sig Sauer MCX rifle should be under $3k. A Glock is a few hundred. What was he buying that could have possibly cost $26k total, like the twit Ziprhead posted (Carlos somethingorother) claims?
The tweet was a lie.

Excuse me? Did you just call Ziprhead a twit? If so, I believe that is a serious TOU.
No. I called that Carlos guy a twit. Sounds like tweet, see.

Maybe your post needs an edit??
I will edit for clarity.
Oh, good! That’s what I figured but I read yours a few times before I figured what you meant. Then I went and edited my post to clean up. No need to get anyone worked up over nothing.

Must just be extra tired tonight.

Well, another mass shooting at the University of Michigan. 3 dead, 5 wounded. Why did this occur? Not enough good men and women with guns! We need MOAR GUNS!
It is the only way.

That was MSU, not UoM.

The Sig Sauer MCX rifle should be under $3k. A Glock is a few hundred. What was he buying that could have possibly cost $26k total, like the twit whose tweet Ziprhead posted (Carlos somethingorother) claims?
I think the good news is that the gun dealer got paid for the guns bought by a man who had the intent to use the weapons to murder people. That means the system is working. :)

Won't become a big story like Parkland because a) the suspect seems to be black and b) his weapon is just a handgun and not one of those scary rifles.

Parkland involved 17 dead people. MSU won't be as "big" of an issue because America has become desensitized to group murders less than 5. That is wickedly alarming! But still, props for injecting your race baiting politics into the murders of 3 college students.

Back
Top Bottom