• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Fucking Mass Shooting At US School

Honestly I think there would be changes if we changed how political campaigns were financed and what sort of ads they could place.

As it is, gun violence and abortion are the two biggest red meat issues that all politicians use for fundraising. The vast majority of people strongly support safe access to abortion services as well as common sense laws.

If politicians could no longer count on raising obscene amounts of money on either issue then it is more likely that their votes would reflect the opinion of the electorate, not donors, who, frankly do not actually care a great deal about either abortion rights or gun rights: they just want to have a pocketful of lawmakers.

And what is the cost? Lost gun sales. This is the is it. Children dead for money.
I don't think it's that simple.

The NRA strongly supports a bunch of politicians. Those politicians have a lot more in common than gun rights.

Those politicians are in charge of a whole lot of things. From tax structures to immigration policy to abortion rights to health care to gerrymandering to voting rights to labor laws, the list is endless.

"Gun rights" is just how they justify their political platform and donations. The NRA may as well be a Tea Party fundraising PAC.
Tom

Honestly I think there would be changes if we changed how political campaigns were financed and what sort of ads they could place.
The NRA isn't based as much on money to politicians as they are based on their stamp of approval... and feeding propaganda regarding guns.

Five things to know about Canada’s gun control legislation | The Hill
The bill would impose a national freeze on both the sale and transfer of handguns across the country by the fall if it becomes law. It includes an exception for relevant businesses as well as individuals with a handgun license who have proved they need it for protection or for their profession.

The bill would also ban the sale of large capacity magazines and modify long-gun magazines so they can only hold five rounds, making it a criminal offense to alter magazines above the legal limit.
So one has to spend some time reloading the gun.
Other measures in the proposal would expand red flag laws, increase penalties for perpetrators of gun violence and bolster law enforcement capabilities.

The proposed red flag measure would strip firearm licenses if a court deems an individual a danger to themselves or others — similar to laws in about 19 states across the U.S.

The red flag law would also apply to those accused of domestic violence or criminal harassment, such as stalking.

Trudeau’s administration says victims of domestic violence are five times more likely to die by gun violence, while 600 intimate partner violence incidents in 2018 involved firearms.

On Monday, Mendicino announced the “imminent launch” of a mandatory buyback program to compensate individuals who still own assault rifles. He also said another 300 assault-style rifles have been added to the list.

Canada last year also increased its background check laws to cover the lifetime of an applicant rather than just the five years before the application process.
But
"Several Conservative members of the Canadian Parliament have already spoken out against the legislation."

The NRA isn't based as much on money to politicians as they are based on their stamp of approval... and feeding propaganda regarding guns.
You're wrong. The NRA is a major contributor to many GOP politicians and to the party itself.

And there is a connection between Russia and the NRA.

Regardless if you believe or care about NRA donations to politicians, removing the monetary incentive for anyone to lobby politicians-----removing the big bucks from political campaigns would do a lot to neutralize the influence of ANY organization, person, political interest, etc. What would happen if the oil lobby disappeared? If we did not give tax breaks to big businesses? If billionaires were not allowed to come into existence? If we were serious about stopping monopolies?

It is all the same answer: get money out of politics. We'd also see some of the worst politicos disappear,

Toni is right. Citizens United has initiated America’s downward slide and the slide will continue as long as money is speech and Corporations are people.
It’s probably too late, but you can send thoughts and prayers to America.

You're wrong. The NRA is a major contributor to many GOP politicians and to the party itself.
Here is a source indicating how much reps have gotten for a while. What I notice is that in general, the numbers aren't too high, but the highest are generally in purple states. The millions do look like a big number, but the amount of money it takes to run, it isn't that high. Romney's is exceptionally high though.
Regardless if you believe or care about NRA donations to politicians, removing the monetary incentive for anyone to lobby politicians-----removing the big bucks from political campaigns would do a lot to neutralize the influence of ANY organization, person, political interest, etc.
My point was the NRA isn't as big when it comes to the cash as it does in propaganda and rubber stamping candidates.
What would happen if the oil lobby disappeared? If we did not give tax breaks to big businesses? If billionaires were not allowed to come into existence? If we were serious about stopping monopolies?
That'd be communism! ;)
It is all the same answer: get money out of politics. We'd also see some of the worst politicos disappear,
But SCOTUS ruled that bribery is free speech, hence protected. Now being a nice prole and go back to being angry about Kim Kardashian or Lia Thomas.

Man, life is depressing!

Here is a source indicating how much reps have gotten reported getting for a while
FIFY

It's even more complicated than that.

If the NRA posts a blast on social media extolling a policy, then let's everyone know which politician supports that policy and then tells everyone to vote and donate money,

Does that count as a donation from the NRA? Will it get reported as a political donation?

The answer is "No".
Tom

Here's a timeline I found.
11:27 a.m.: Video shows that an exterior door to Ross Elementary School that gunman Salvador Ramos entered was propped open by a teacher.

11:28 a.m: Ramos crashes a vehicle near the school into a ditch, gets out and begins firing upon two people who came outside to see the crash near a funeral home. Civilians are not struck by gunfire. The teacher runs to a room to get a phone, returns to the door, and the door remains open.

11:30 a.m.: The first 911 call is made to Uvalde police reporting a car crash and a man with a gun outside the school.

11:30 a.m.: The US Marshals Service says it received a call from a Uvalde police officer requesting assistance.

11:31 a.m.: The shooting suspect reaches the last row of cars in the school parking lot and shooting begins outside of the school. Patrol vehicles reach the funeral home, and a patrol car drives by shooter, who is hunkered down by another vehicle.

11:32 a.m.: The suspect fires at the school.

11:33 a.m.: The suspect enters the school and begins shooting into a classroom. He shot more than 100 rounds.

11:35 a.m.: A total of seven officers are on the scene, and three officers enter the school, later followed by an additional team of three more officers and a sheriff. Two of the initial officers received grazing wounds from the suspect while the classroom door was closed.

11:37 a.m.: Sixteen rounds were fired from 11:37 a.m. to 11:44 a.m.

11:43 a.m.: Robb Elementary announces on Facebook that "Robb Elementary is under a Lockdown Status due to gunshots in the area."

11:51 a.m.: More officers arrive.

12:03 p.m.: As many as 19 officers are in the school's hallway.

12:03 p.m.: A girl in room 112 of the school makes a 911 call.

12:10 p.m.: A 911 call is received from the same girl in room 112, reporting multiple people are dead.

12:13 p.m.: The girl makes another 911 call.

12:15 p.m.: Border Patrol's tactical unit BorTac team arrives on scene.

12:16 p.m.: The same girl makes another 911 call, reporting there were “eight to nine students alive."

12:17 p.m.: Robb Elementary announces on Facebook: "There is an active shooter at Robb Elementary. Law enforcement is on site. Your cooperation is needed at this time by not visiting the campus. As soon as more information is gathered it will be shared. The rest of the district is under a Secure Status."

12:19 p.m.: A different 911 call is received from a caller in room 111, but the caller hung up after another student told them to.

12:21 p.m.: Suspect fires again.

12:21 p.m.: Another 911 call is received, and three shots fired are heard.

12:21 p.m.: Officers move down the hallway.

12:36 p.m.: There is a 911 call that last 21 seconds, with a student saying, "he shot the door."

12:43 and 12:47 p.m.: 911 caller says "please send police now."

12:46 p.m.: 911 caller can hear police next door.

12:50 p.m.: Shots are heard being fired over the 911 call.

12:50 p.m.: Law enforcement breach door using keys from janitor and kill suspect.

12:51 p.m.: On 911 call, it sounds like officers are moving children out of the room.

Here's a thread showing gun madness in the USA.

Damn…. I can understand collecting something as a hobby, having my own collections. But getting that many guns, I just can’t see the appeal.

I’m much more understanding of this guys collection

D7301F34-05A7-46D7-BAA2-C670E594625F.jpeg

Damn…. I can understand collecting something as a hobby, having my own collections. But getting that many guns, I just can’t see the appeal.
Yeah. That one collection probably cost more than their home.

Its beyond time for you Yanks to try something else.
I'm going to drive home the point that your argument "both sides are bad" is complete horseshit. Here's what the Democrats are trying to do:

And guess what the Republicans are saying? Go on, take a fucking guess. Fuck your "both sides"

It was a conservative government in Australia that did the gun buy-back that got so many guns out of circulation. Your "conservative" governments are nothing of they sort.

Now this is hilarious. Everything you posted was 100% true without being remotely accurate. I remember all the arguments against Howard's buyback scheme. They were all said by conservatives. In fact, it was one of the main reasons why Pauline Hanson was so popular in the late 90s. Remember that?

Too long ago? Well how about this then from 3 years ago:

Then you have this fucking hero:

1242.png

And of course the man, the myth, the legend - Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Bob Katter!

I'll let you in on a little secret - Australia doesn't have as much of a gun problem as America. But any issues it does have comes solely from conservatives.

Here's a timeline I found.
11:27 a.m.: Video shows that an exterior door to Ross Elementary School that gunman Salvador Ramos entered was propped open by a teacher.

11:28 a.m: Ramos crashes a vehicle near the school into a ditch, gets out and begins firing upon two people who came outside to see the crash near a funeral home. Civilians are not struck by gunfire. The teacher runs to a room to get a phone, returns to the door, and the door remains open.

11:30 a.m.: The first 911 call is made to Uvalde police reporting a car crash and a man with a gun outside the school.

11:30 a.m.: The US Marshals Service says it received a call from a Uvalde police officer requesting assistance.

11:31 a.m.: The shooting suspect reaches the last row of cars in the school parking lot and shooting begins outside of the school. Patrol vehicles reach the funeral home, and a patrol car drives by shooter, who is hunkered down by another vehicle.

11:32 a.m.: The suspect fires at the school.

11:33 a.m.: The suspect enters the school and begins shooting into a classroom. He shot more than 100 rounds.

11:35 a.m.: A total of seven officers are on the scene, and three officers enter the school, later followed by an additional team of three more officers and a sheriff. Two of the initial officers received grazing wounds from the suspect while the classroom door was closed.

11:37 a.m.: Sixteen rounds were fired from 11:37 a.m. to 11:44 a.m.

11:43 a.m.: Robb Elementary announces on Facebook that "Robb Elementary is under a Lockdown Status due to gunshots in the area."

11:51 a.m.: More officers arrive.

12:03 p.m.: As many as 19 officers are in the school's hallway.

12:03 p.m.: A girl in room 112 of the school makes a 911 call.

12:10 p.m.: A 911 call is received from the same girl in room 112, reporting multiple people are dead.

12:13 p.m.: The girl makes another 911 call.

12:15 p.m.: Border Patrol's tactical unit BorTac team arrives on scene.

12:16 p.m.: The same girl makes another 911 call, reporting there were “eight to nine students alive."

12:17 p.m.: Robb Elementary announces on Facebook: "There is an active shooter at Robb Elementary. Law enforcement is on site. Your cooperation is needed at this time by not visiting the campus. As soon as more information is gathered it will be shared. The rest of the district is under a Secure Status."

12:19 p.m.: A different 911 call is received from a caller in room 111, but the caller hung up after another student told them to.

12:21 p.m.: Suspect fires again.

12:21 p.m.: Another 911 call is received, and three shots fired are heard.

12:21 p.m.: Officers move down the hallway.

12:36 p.m.: There is a 911 call that last 21 seconds, with a student saying, "he shot the door."

12:43 and 12:47 p.m.: 911 caller says "please send police now."

12:46 p.m.: 911 caller can hear police next door.

12:50 p.m.: Shots are heard being fired over the 911 call.

12:50 p.m.: Law enforcement breach door using keys from janitor and kill suspect.

12:51 p.m.: On 911 call, it sounds like officers are moving children out of the room.
So officers got there... before he entered in the school?

They knew he was armed, he was outside the school and they didn't move heaven and earth to stop him getting in?

This.
Is.
Gold.

The best part was how confused the NRA crowd was. They know their arguments are bullshit, but couldn't tell if Selvig was mocking them or not.

Back
Top Bottom