• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Fucking Mass Shooting At US School

That should read "freedom-filled weekend for the entire family... that's left alive."

O, say can you see through the school windows bright,
Your children contorted in America's blight?
O, beautiful for bloody floors
For leaden waves pf bullets. . .

🤢🤮

Should all be exercising Abott's gun law to send a message because I don't believe they'll listen without doing so.

Okay, this is new though.
article said:
When specially equipped federal immigration agents arrived at the elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, on Tuesday, the local police at the scene would not allow them to go after the gunman who had opened fire on students inside the school, according to two officials briefed on the situation.

The agents from Border Patrol and Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrived at some point between 12 and 12:10 p.m., according to the officials — far earlier than previously known. But they did not breach the adjoining classrooms of the school where the gunman had locked himself in until a little before 1 p.m. Members of the federal tactical team killed the gunman.

The officials said that members of the Uvalde Police Department kept the federal agents from going in sooner.
This sounds unjustifiable. More details may explain this, but it doesn't sound particularly competent. It is one thing to be over your head. It is another to be over your head and then not let the pros take over.
It is beginning to sound appallingly incompetent. The police department is 3 minutes from the school. As has already been noted, this is not a "defunded" department. Their budget is 40% of the annual city budget, they have the tactical gear, the weapons, and the numbers. "But Captain, I don't wanna go in there....I might get shot!" is no excuse. Yes, the gunman is going to shoot at you. That's what we want. Every round he fires in your direction is one less he fires at a defenseless 4th grader. As we approach the anniversary of D-Day, it is worth remembering that members of your grandfather or great grandfather's generation ran straight at German machine gun emplacements wearing no body armor and armed with a bolt action rifle. Get in there and do your fucking job.

And if I can get really, really cynical for a moment (it's hard not to...), a couple cops dying to save a dozen or more schoolchildren would be a huge win for the right wing, 2nd Amendment fans, and the idiots running things in Texas. Sales of the "thin blue line" flag would go through the roof. The NRA convention would be able to re-write their speeches with the words "and here's a prime example of what a good guy with a gun can do." Sure, the cop's wife or family will have to have a funeral, but he'll be hailed as a hero and they'll get his pension for life.

Instead, we have 19 little caskets to make, 2 funerals for underpaid, overworked teachers who probably shielded the kids or would have if given the chance, and a police department in the heart 'o Texas that made a very expensive case for reforming the way police departments are funded and ran. A couple politicians and at least one gun maker are skipping the "good guy with a gun" convention, and this has given ammunition (pun fully intended) to the folks who rightly want common-sense gun laws. We once again are having a conversation about gun control, and maybe this one will move the needle. Probably not, and those kids will have died for nothing, but at least for now the gun-nuts and the "cops can do no wrong" fuckers are back on their heels. The cost is way too high, but that's all we can takeaway from this.

Police were reluctant to immediately engage with the gunman who spent an hour inside the elementary school in Uvalde, Tex., where he killed 19 children and two adults because “they could’ve been shot,” a lieutenant with the Texas Department of Public Safety said in a CNN interview.

I have no trouble believing that.
To be fair, not every cop can be as brave as a kindergarten teacher.

My favorite Sheriff.

Cool. But an officer engaged the shooter before he got to the school. The shooter had body armor which is why he managed to get into the school. It isn't easy to hit a moving target, especially when it is shooting back at you. The target, in this case, would have been the head but the first officer could not have known that the shooter had body armor. It is not easy for a decent human being to shoot another human being in the head.

For everyone talking about locking school doors: Cool unless there is a fire.

I'm just gonna paste in something I just said on the social media:

When my daughter was 18, she was struggling. Her bio-dad had skipped out on her literally the day she was born. Her mom's boyfriend before I got in the picture was an impossibly abusive person. I tried to make it work with her mom, but we got divorced when she was 12 and I'm sure that having her temporarily stable family fall apart hurt her immensely. I am so proud of her for working through all the shit she's been through to come out on the other side as a good person and a great mother herself.

The kid who did this terrible thing was just 18. The Buffalo shooter was 18. The The Oxford, Michigan shooter was only 15.

What is the difference? Where did these kids get the idea that gunning down a bunch of innocent people with an assault...sorry "sporting" rifle was the answer? How did they get those weapons? Forget the locked or unlocked door. Forget the failed police response. How did these kids get it into their head that this was the right course of action, and how did they get the weapons they used?

As a parent (I hate that cliche' phrase) I still think about things I could have done better for my kid. Should I have got her into therapy earlier? Should I have been there more when she was rebelling? Should I have said "I love you" more often?

Never once did I ever think "you know what she needs? An AR-15."

If Republicans are serious about the "mental health" issue then I expect to see them drafting legislation requiring some kind of mental health checks when applying to purchase a gun. A background check of one's social media accounts would help too.

But, since I know they are raging hypocrites, I don't really expect to see such legislation coming forward.

Police were reluctant to immediately engage with the gunman who spent an hour inside the elementary school in Uvalde, Tex., where he killed 19 children and two adults because “they could’ve been shot,” a lieutenant with the Texas Department of Public Safety said in a CNN interview.

I have no trouble believing that.
To be fair, not every cop can be as brave as a kindergarten teacher.
Or a ten year old middle school student.

so i'm what you could call cynical i suppose, though i prefer to think of myself at jedi wizard level sardonic - nothing about human depravity surprises me and rarely if ever upsets me.
but jesus. fucking. shitballs, this is astounding even to me.

NRA convention last night:

My favorite Sheriff.

Cool. But an officer engaged the shooter before he got to the school. The shooter had body armor which is why he managed to get into the school. It isn't easy to hit a moving target, especially when it is shooting back at you. The target, in this case, would have been the head but the first officer could not have known that the shooter had body armor. It is not easy for a decent human being to shoot another human being in the head.

For everyone talking about locking school doors: Cool unless there is a fire.

I favor locked doors to the outside, but allowing people to exit in case of fire.

I favor locked doors to the outside, but allowing people to exit in case of fire.
Locking from outside is also a good way to prevent burglary, it must be noted. It's a much more common crime, even if a much lesser crime.

For fires the doors can be left open for the fire department upon exit by school staff.

I don't agree with everything Sherrif Judd says but like I, he has an opinion. And I value his over mine for his track record.

Back
Top Bottom