• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Fucking Mass Shooting At US School

Does it normally take surnames for you to draw conclusions like that as opposed to, say, a 6 month old infant shot in the head?
The presence of an infant (10 months, not six) in itself does not say anything about the mother's relationship to others in the house. Or the adults' relationships to each other. She could have been in her baby daddy's house (and she working for/with him) for all we knew initially. Instead, it turned out to be her uncle's.
Also women are increasingly keeping their birth names. In some cultures, that is simply the norm. regardless of marital status. Children keep the mother's name as well.

That was my point and you know it. You keep ignoring it and instead prefer to keep getting hung up on the third digit after the decimal point.
This is what the difference that the third digit makes:

main-qimg-e68c3db79d5e63363b42dd76fde90e39-lq.jpg

The one who is obfuscating and playing gotcha games is attrib. Like arguing over third digit after the decimal point for weeks (and ignoring the actual point I made) or pretending I made claims I never did.
One of the cartridges is a .22 Long Rifle (most often used by hunters and plinkers), one is a 5.56 NATO (most often used by the US military to kill people). As I have explained to you before, the AR-15 is not remotely similar to a .22 caliber hunting rifle, nor does it use a cartridge that is even remotely comparable to a 22 caliber long rifle cartridge. The difference is important, and one that you clearly did not know about when you claimed that AR-15 rifles are very similar to .22 caliber hunting rifles. There are other reasons too, but I have gone through those in detail, and I not going to keep repeating myself.

Ten people have died following a shooting at a ballroom dance studio in the Californian city of Monterey Park, near Los Angeles, police said.
Police say another 10 people are injured and the suspect remains at large.
The shooting happened at about 22:20 local time on Saturday (06:20 GMT on Sunday).
Thousands of people had earlier gathered in the city for the Monterey Park Lunar New Year festival.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said they were seeking a male suspect who fled the scene, but did not provide any other details about him.
Captain Andrew Meyer said that emergency services arrived on the scene and found patrons "pouring out of the location screaming".

Officers then confirmed 10 people had died.
At least 10 others have been injured and are in local hospitals, where their conditions vary from stable to critical.
"It appears to have happened at a dance studio nearby where a gunman came in with what an eyewitness described as a machine gun, some automatic gun that fired multiple rounds at mostly Asian-Americans," Jeong Park, a reporter with the paper, told the BBC.
I may have to copy this to the right wing terrorism thread as more information comes out.

What are the chances that the perp could have wrought that kind of carnage with a knife or a pistol?

This is what the difference that the third digit makes:
Are you still on this bullshit? Give it a rest dude.

The difference is certainly not due to the "third digit" of the bullet diameter. It's the powder charge behind the bullet that makes all the difference. I never denied it. This is my original post that led to this entire stupid derail:
What kind of hunting (other than humans) requires semi-auto action and super high velocity rounds?
"Super high velocity"? Really? The velocity of an AR15s is comparable to other similar rifles.
Muzzle velocity is a function of the projectile mass, powder load and barrel length. It has nothing to do with being a scary "assault weapon".

Semiautomatic action is also quite common in hunting rifles.

It skips the steps of butchering the kill and goes directly to hamburger.
LMAO, but no.

You are harping on this non-issue for weeks to avoid dealing with the point I was actually making. Which is that there are rifles firing the same (or very similar) cartridge will have pretty much the same ballistics, as all that matters is the bullet, powder charge and barrel length. I was not going into caliber designations, but you hung up on that and will not let go.

Here is my point again, just for you and Elixir who loves to ditto your posts, like some latter-day Taggart.
Yes, the big cartridge on the right is what an AR15 fires, but also what this rifle fires.
5801.jpg

And thus will have similar muzzle velocity and similar carnage should you be hit with a bullet fired by it.
They both even have semi-auto action. But one is a scary "assault" weapon, while the other is not.
Same goes for 7.62x39mm cartridge. Two rifles firing it will have similar ballistics, but not all will be scary-looking AK47s or similar.

The difference is important, and one that you clearly did not know about when you claimed that AR-15 rifles are very similar to .22 caliber hunting rifles.
The difference is important, yes, which is why specified "powder charge" in my original post on the matter. That's the major difference between the two cartridges you posted.

I not going to keep repeating myself.
Hasn't stopped you so far.

What are the chances that the perp could have wrought that kind of carnage with a knife or a pistol?
Not with a knife, but surely with a pistol. Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 (+ himself) and wounded 17 with a couple of pistols.
We also do not know what kind of weapon the Monterey Park perp had. Police hasn't released that info yet. So let's wait and see.

Here is my point again, just for you and Elixir who loves to ditto your posts, like some latter-day Taggart.
Yes, the big cartridge on the right is what an AR15 fires, but also what this rifle fires.
5801.jpg

And thus will have similar muzzle velocity and similar carnage should you be hit with a bullet fired by it.
They both even have semi-auto action. But one is a scary "assault" weapon, while the other is not.
Same goes for 7.62x39mm cartridge. Two rifles firing it will have similar ballistics, but not all will be scary-looking AK47s or similar.
Do you not get the idea behind why people by ARs and not the rifle above?

Wrong. That looks like on open bolt semi auto compared to an AR-15, and definitely has a shorter barrel. Muzzle velocity would be measurably different.

You still haven't explained why you would ne a mini-14 or and SKS or any other semi automatic non AR instead of a straight forward lever action .30-30. I'm starting to think you never will.

Police in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, are searching for at least one suspect involved in a nightclub shooting that left a dozen people injured, according to L’Jean McKneely, Baton Rouge Police Department spokesperson.

Police are categorizing the shooting as a “targeted attack.”

“This was not just a random act of someone showing up and randomly shooting citizens of Baton Rouge,” said Lt. Bryan Ballard, commander of BRPD’s Homicide Division, during a press conference Sunday.

A law enforcement source tells CNN around 1:30 a.m. local time, witnesses at Dior Bar & Lounge said a fight broke out between two groups of customers, and multiple people pulled out guns and started shooting.

Of the 12 people shot, three sustained life-threatening injuries, Lt. Ballard said.
This is the kind of shit that happens when you let every damn fool out there carry a gun.

Not with a knife, but surely with a pistol. Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 (+ himself) and wounded 17 with a couple of pistols.
We also do not know what kind of weapon the Monterey Park perp had. Police hasn't released that info yet. So let's wait and see.
So, because it is possible (or was possible) to do this with a pistol, just screw it with other weapons that make it a bit easier and give people less of a chance to respond?

It just reads as a "*shoulder shrug* Well, what can ya do? I mean other than accuse the liberals of trying to ban guns."

So, because it is possible (or was possible) to do this with a pistol, just screw it with other weapons that make it a bit easier and give people less of a chance to respond?

It just reads as a "*shoulder shrug* Well, what can ya do? I mean other than accuse the liberals of trying to ban guns."
It's really easy to kill people when you lock the doors so that they can't run away too, as Derec's example did.

So this happened here today.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/suspect- ... pring-hill

I drove by the scene where there were 12+ sheriff vehicles that had a side street cordoned off on my way to my dentist today. When I got to mom's place on my way home, the lady at the front desk said they had been on lock down for about an hour, and that guy had driven by there just randomly shooting his gun. No word if they've done an inspection of the buildings in the area for bullet holes.

This is a breaking news story and will be updated.

Two students were killed just before 1 p.m. Monday in shootings at Starts Right Here, an educational mentorship program in downtown Des Moines that helps at-risk youth and has won high-profile support from state and city leaders.

Police spokesperson Sgt. Paul Parizek said an adult employee at the nonprofit was wounded and was in serious condition. At the Des Moines City Council meeting Monday night, Mayor Frank Cownie said Starts Right Here founder Will Holmes was the injured person and is recovering in the hospital.

Parizek said the wounded students were found in very critical condition and that officers performed CPR on them. They were taken to a hospital, where they died.

I'm going to say this in the most simplistic way I can. My gut feeling says Gun violence (crime in general) is much higher in poverty stricken communities than in wealthy communities. Black people happen to live mostly in poverty stricken communities. Yes, statistics will show that black males are more likely to be the cause of mass shootings because they are highly likely to live in poverty stricken areas than the white demographic which also live there but dominate wealthy areas (not to mention there are more of them than us in this country). There is a problem that needs to be recognized rather than capitalized on by shitty people or swept under the rug in hopes to avoid it being exploited by shitty people.

Honestly I think Derec made some good points here about REASONABLE gun legislation. I'd like to know what that looks like from his view. I also believe that others have made very factual points about how much easier it is to do damage with a particular weapon over another. That's all my wine drinking ass got for now.

Nothing like referencing a joke and missing the fucking point!

The point being the thing that should be dealt with is the thing that led to the deaths, the guns. No one is saying maybe the hyenas need better mental health care options.

Seven people were shot and killed in two separate locations in Half Moon Bay Monday afternoon, according to the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.

Four victims were found dead at about 2:22 p.m. along the 12700 block of Cabrillo Highway, the sheriff's office said. Another victim was transported to Stanford Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.

Shortly after that discovery, three more victims were found dead at separate scene in the area, according to the sheriff's office.

The suspect, 67-year-old Half Moon Bay resident Zhao Chunli, was taken into custody at about 4:40 p.m. after he was found in his vehicle in the parking lot of the Half Moon Bay substation, the sheriff's office said. He was taken into custody without incident and a weapon was found in his car.

The victims are Chinese farmworkers, Half Moon Bay Councilmember Debbie Ruddock said.

Addendum to the Chinese Ballroom shooting story. Apparently the perp went to another dance studio after the first one where someone caught the perp, struggled with him and took his gun. The guy is being hailed as a hero.

My gut feeling says Gun violence (crime in general) is much higher in poverty stricken communities than in wealthy communities.
Crime dropped during the depression and during the great recession.

Back
Top Bottom