• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Biden losing in swing states

I live in a town of about 25 or 30K people and it's very urban in parts. By that, I mean, we have a walkable downtown with lost of restaurants, and condos, apartments and houses within walking distance to it.
If all anybody means by "urban" is "has walkable parts", then sure. Most Americans live in urban areas.

How does one distinguish between the walkable parts of a town with <30K population and South Chicago? They're both urban areas.
According to the standard y'all just described.
Tom

Wyoming: 62% urban. Idaho: 69.2%. Alaska: 64.9%. Montana: 53.4%. North Dakota: 61%. South Dakota: 57.2%.
So again.
What do you mean by "urban"?

If your definition of urban includes 62% of Wyoming we mean different things by the word. "I can see a neighbors house from my porch" isn't what I mean by "urban".
Tom
FFS, take it up with the US census bureau. Have you ever even been to Wyoming? To Cheyenne or Laramie or Jackson? They're urban. You might not consider them to be "metropolitan" but they sure as fuck aren't rural.
Yes.
I still have relatives there.
I've also got relatives in Chicago. Calling Cheyenne "urban" would make them laugh their asses off.

As long as "urban" simply means "I can see my neighbors house from here.", sure. Wyoming is urban. For people who live in an 18th floor condo, calling Wyoming urban is more than laughable.

It's why they don't take your opinions at all seriously.
Tom

If the place where you live is incorporated as a city, and contains either >2,000 housing units or >5,000 people, it is urban according to the US Census. Most other studies use the same or similar definition, so as to match the most common data set.

It should be noted "Is an urban dweller" according to a census is not an antonym for "lives in a rural region" or "considers oneself rural". I think a solid majority of Trump voters consider themselves "rural people" despite mostly living in a statisticians "suburb". I grew up in a bitty subdivision house with a postage stamp yard, in an incorporated city. But almost everyone in town would have considered it to have been a "little country town" and themselves "country people" who listened to "country music", had "rural values", and who would vote automatically for anyone who promised water to farmers, despite only a few dozen of its residents owning any farmland outright and only a few hundred more working the fields/orchards in any capacity.
Nah buddy, this is the myth you've sold yourself, so that you can rationalize your seething hatred of a large number of americans for not adhering to your near religious political zealotry and not living in highly dense cities.

Wyoming: 62% urban. Idaho: 69.2%. Alaska: 64.9%. Montana: 53.4%. North Dakota: 61%. South Dakota: 57.2%.
So again.

If your definition of urban includes 62% of Wyoming we mean different things by the word. "I can see a neighbors house from my porch" isn't what I mean by "urban".
Tom
The majority of Wyomingites live in cities, not out on a ranch.

Know what a "city" means in Wyoming?

I've been in dance clubs more populous than Casper.
Tom

ETA ~Gay bars. From Chicago to New York City. ~
Do YOU know what a city in Wyoming looks like?

It’s highly unlikely that you have ever been to any kind of bar which holds more that 50K people.

Sorry, that's not what I mean by "urban". I live in a county with around 70,000 residents and I don't consider it urban.
There's no y'all about it, Toni freaking hates the way I describe rural life and rural people. But the terms mean what they do.
Toni isn't alone. I detest the dripping scorn and hatred that you use to deride and dehumanize people who don't meet your political purity test. Including anyone who doesn't live in a densely populated city, or who has the gall to live in the part of the country that produces all the food you eat.

So again.

Tom
FFS, take it up with the US census bureau. Have you ever even been to Wyoming? To Cheyenne or Laramie or Jackson? They're urban. You might not consider them to be "metropolitan" but they sure as fuck aren't rural.
Yes.
I've also got relatives in Chicago. Calling Cheyenne "urban" would make them laugh their asses off.

As long as "urban" simply means "I can see my neighbors house from here.", sure. Wyoming is urban. For people who live in an 18th floor condo, calling Wyoming urban is more than laughable.

Tom
They’re ignorant jackasses who are snobs for no reason other than their own bigotry?

Nobody as far as I know said that Wyoming is urban. It’s well known to be a sparsely populated, largely rural state. But it has urban centers.

Do YOU know what a city in Wyoming looks like?
Yes.
I have relatives who have lived there since before I was born. Been there, done that.
I liked it. Notice I don't live in anything remotely resembling my idea of "urban". Been there, done that too. I didn't like it.
Tom

If the place where you live is incorporated as a city, and contains either >2,000 housing units or >5,000 people, it is urban according to the US Census. Most other studies use the same or similar definition, so as to match the most common data set.

It should be noted "Is an urban dweller" according to a census is not an antonym for "lives in a rural region" or "considers oneself rural". I think a solid majority of Trump voters consider themselves "rural people" despite mostly living in a statisticians "suburb". I grew up in a bitty subdivision house with a postage stamp yard, in an incorporated city. But almost everyone in town would have considered it to have been a "little country town" and themselves "country people" who listened to "country music", had "rural values", and who would vote automatically for anyone who promised water to farmers, despite only a few dozen of its residents owning any farmland outright and only a few hundred more working the fields/orchards in any capacity.
Nah buddy, this is the myth you've sold yourself, so that you can rationalize your seething hatred of a large number of americans for not adhering to your near religious political zealotry and not living in highly dense cities.
WTF?

when I'm a poor artsy faggot atheist, in semi-rural Jesustan Indiana.
Perhaps you should have tried attending community college, I hear they have towers of pure ivory.

Be sure and go to a rural one though, I hear "urban" community colleges are dangerous. You know, cause of all the urban people.

So again.

Tom
Yes.

Tom
I see it's time to remind people that the figurative meanings of words shouldn't be confused for their literal meanings.

Census definitions for urban areas is based on housing density, with an additional minimum population size

Perhaps you should have tried attending community college, I hear they have towers of pure ivory.

Be sure and go to a rural one though, I hear "urban" community colleges are dangerous. You know, cause of all the urban people.

WTF?

WTF?
Just try and find a college that's in the middle of a field somewhere. It should be easy to spot, as there won't be very many other towers around.

WTF?
Just try and find a college that's in the middle of a field somewhere. It should be easy to spot, as there won't be very many other towers around.

WTF?

Godfuckingdammitalltohell.

I don't want Biden, but I sure as hell don't want Trump either. Both of these parties need to be burned to the ground and started over from scratch.
What's wrong with Biden?

Reactions: SLD
Sorry, that's not what I mean by "urban". I live in a county with around 70,000 residents and I don't consider it urban.
There's no y'all about it, Toni freaking hates the way I describe rural life and rural people. But the terms mean what they do.
Toni isn't alone. I detest the dripping scorn and hatred that you use to deride and dehumanize people who don't meet your political purity test. Including anyone who doesn't live in a densely populated city, or who has the gall to live in the part of the country that produces all the food you eat.
Have you ever been to a small town and actually talked to people. People in rural areas also have dripping scorn for liberal city folk. I've traveled all over my state in my delivery job. I've been told so many times that people would never come to the city I live in because there is too many "black people." Both my older brothers live in rural areas. They cannot let their liberal views be known without risking violence. My one brother did it once and was physically attacked for doing so. I cannot imagine what it would be like for an openly gay man to try to walk into a bar and order a drink in those places.

Okay, polls are not predictors 12 months out. But the fact that a venal, hate-filled, mentally unstable wretch like DJT is a viable candidate to "lead" the country is a sign of our national decline. The President who led the most deliberate and destructive assault on our Constitutional system should have been imprisoned by now.
Exactly. whether he ultimately wins or not, the fact that he is even now in the running is an extremely bad sign for our democracy. We are in deep shit.

Well, for what its worth you're wrong about that. I have considerable pride of place. Even pride of people. But that doesn't mean turning a blind eye to the terror that "Trump Country" is prepared to unleash on the world, and was long before Trump seized control of their contingent. I love the people of the San Joaquin Valley, have dedicated my life to helping them. But helping them means helping them get out, if they're able to. To stay and change things, if they're able and willing. To borrow a phrasing from the book they claim to hold holy, white nationalism is a broken rod, and it will produce only bitter fruit. Almonds aren't going to save this country, and fascism certainly will not, but people still could.

Have you ever been to a small town and actually talked to people. People in rural areas also have dripping scorn for liberal city folk. I've traveled all over my state in my delivery job. I've been told so many times that people would never come to the city I live in because there is too many "black people." Both my older brothers live in rural areas. They cannot let their liberal views be known without risking violence. My one brother did it once and was physically attacked for doing so. I cannot imagine what it would be like for an openly gay man to try to walk into a bar and order a drink in those places.
Well, it does depend on the bar. The Bait Barn is a no go, but The Commonwealth isn't going to mind.

I live in a town of about 25 or 30K people and it's very urban in parts. By that, I mean, we have a walkable downtown with lost of restaurants, and condos, apartments and houses within walking distance to it.
If all anybody means by "urban" is "has walkable parts", then sure. Most Americans live in urban areas.

How does one distinguish between the walkable parts of a town with <30K population and South Chicago? They're both urban areas.
According to the standard y'all just described.
Tom
I'll do my best to explain my perspective again. Forgive me if I make this post too long. I grew up about five miles outside of New York City, probably the most or one of the most urban places in the country. My town has a downtown that in some ways is like a mini New York City. By that, I mean, there is housing density, restaurants, businesses and government buildings all within a few blocks of each other, so it has a very urban feel to it. Due to voter apathy, we usually have a conservative mayor, but the results of the mayoral races have been getting very close.

And, it's not accurate to always assume that voters in urban areas are always liberal. Don't forget that Rudy Giuliani was the mayor of New York City for two terms and he was often referred to as America's Mayor. That Rudy was tough on crime and supported the stop and frisk project that was very unfair to Black men, who were often innocent of any crime....but I digress. Today's Rudy is a much worse character as I'm sure you all know.

The point is that even large urban areas sometimes vote for very conservative people. New Jersey has had it's share of both liberal Democratic governors as well as rather conservative governors. Chris Christie comes to mind. Most of New Jersey is very urban, or suburban. Northern Jersey, where I grew up, is one long string of congested small or medium size cities. In fact, you don't even know when you're leaving one town or city and entering the next one, unless you see the sign that tells you where you are. I always considered that we lived in the suburbs when I was growing up, but at the same time, I could see the New York City skyline from my bedroom window when I was a teenager. So, did I live in urban areas or suburban areas?

Does it matter if the urban area is confined to a few blocks or must it be endless miles of congestion like New York or Atlanta? I've also lived in San Antonio, Texas, Raleigh, NC and Greenville SC, as well as Destin, Florida. Destin is a small city that has become extremely congested with lots of high rise condos, big box stores, restaurants etc. It's the smallest city I've ever lived in, or it was very small at the time. Is it urban or what? That part of Florida is very conservative and extremely white, with the exception being the military base in the area. I guess my rambling post is trying to say that we can't stereotype how people vote based on their location, although statistically rural voters tend to be more conservative compared to urban voters. After reading the book, "Poor White Trash", I have a better understanding of why so many of the poor rural white residents have become Trump supporters. They feel they've been neglected and looked down on by the so called liberal elite, so they were easily manipulated by a man who pretended to care about them. Btw, that term originated in the 1600s by the British elite, but I've posted about it many times, already.

I cared for many rural residents during the early years of my work as a home health nurse. Most of them, were very caring people, who actually took very good care of their elders. In fact, I can only think of one exception, a man who abused and neglected his dependent wife. In my current racially mixed neighborhood, most of the white people are Republican while most or all of the Black people are Democrats. We haven't asked them all, so I'm going by which signs people had in their yards during the last presidential race. There is at least one county in a rural part of Georgia that is Black majority. I don't think that many of those rural residents voted for Trump. In fact, rural Georgia has a lot of Black residents, but do they vote? Is it sometimes hard for them to get to the polls or do they use the excuse that "my vote doesn't count" or I don't like any of the candidates, etc.?

Former poster Jobar has always lived in a rural or exurban area and he has always voted for Democrats, although most of his family vote for Republicans. Defining urban, suburban, exurban and rural is complicated imo. I briefly lived in what was considered a rural area. It was very inconvenient for us because we ate out a lot and had to drive too much for work etc. I didn't even know my neighbors. Rural life is not for me, although there are plenty of good people who live in rural areas. And, there are even plenty of Trump supporters who drank the Kool-Aide, but are otherwise good people. My neighbor across the street comes to mind. He is the most caring, kind neighbor I've ever had. He does things for other neighbors without expecting anything in return, but sadly, he votes Republican and he even told my husband that Obama was born in Kenya. Seriously. I think he's simply been indoctrinated by far right media, as were many of my former older patients. Social media. has put out lots of disinformation, lies etc. We have a mess on our hands and if voter turnout is poor next year, we may be screwed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom