• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Biden losing in swing states

What does urban mean?
In most states, a vast majority of the population are urban dwellers.

You're kidding yourself.
Tom
No, I am numeric literate and I can read a data chart.

My questions were, "What does anyone mean by 'urban' or 'rural' in this context?"

And you keep barbosing me.
Tom
If the place where you live is incorporated as a city, and contains either >2,000 housing units or >5,000 people, it is urban according to the US Census. Most other studies use the same or similar definition, so as to match the most common data set.

It should be noted "Is an urban dweller" according to a census is not an antonym for "lives in a rural region" or "considers oneself rural". I think a solid majority of Trump voters consider themselves "rural people" despite mostly living in a statisticians "suburb". I grew up in a bitty subdivision house with a postage stamp yard, in an incorporated city. But almost everyone in town would have considered it to have been a "little country town" and themselves "country people" who listened to "country music", had "rural values", and who would vote automatically for anyone who promised water to farmers, despite only a few dozen of its residents owning any farmland outright and only a few hundred more working the fields/orchards in any capacity.

What does urban mean?

You're kidding yourself.
Tom

My questions were, "What does anyone mean by 'urban' or 'rural' in this context?"

Tom
If the place where you live is incorporated as a city, and contains either >2,000 housing units or >5,000 people, it is urban according to the US Census.

So the definition of "urban" y'all are using includes people in "cities" of 2000.
Got it.

Sorry, that's not what I mean by "urban". I live in a county with around 70,000 residents and I don't consider it urban.

I have lived on the outskirts of Chicago. Calling this place urban is ridiculous.
Tom

Sorry, that's not what I mean by "urban". I live in a county with around 70,000 residents and I don't consider it urban.
There's no y'all about it, Toni freaking hates the way I describe rural life and rural people. But the terms mean what they do.

What does urban mean?

You're kidding yourself.
Tom

Tom
You have just now posed that question to me, so it's not very honest to say that's what you've been asking. I know that some are loathe to click on links but the links I provided defined what is meant by rural and what is meant by urban. I did not invent the definitions nor the data.

There's no y'all about it, Toni freaking hates the way I describe rural life and rural people. But the terms mean what they do.

To whom do these terms mean what you mean by them?

I don't think a community of less than ~50K remotely qualifies as an urban community. That's just me.

Feel free to explain your meaning, especially the part where I should care what an ivory tower academic in San Francisco means.
Tom

What does urban mean?

You're kidding yourself.
Tom

Tom
If the place where you live is incorporated as a city, and contains either >2,000 housing units or >5,000 people, it is urban according to the US Census.

So the definition of "urban" y'all are using includes people in "cities" of 2000.
Got it.

I have lived on the outskirts of Chicago. Calling this place urban is ridiculous.
Tom
A county is not a city. A city can certainly meet the definition of urban while the surrounding county can be quite rural. See Sioux Falls, SD for an example.

A county is not a city.

No it isn't.

What do you mean by rural if it doesn't include people in Wyoming? Or urban?

Sounds mostly like ideologists changing their meaning for words, like "rural", for their own purposes. Christians do the same thing.
Tom

I live in a town of about 25 or 30K people and it's very urban in parts. By that, I mean, we have a walkable downtown with lost of restaurants, and condos, apartments and houses within walking distance to it. It's the county seat, so there's a fairly large courthouse downtown and all kinds of other public buildings as well as quaint family owned stores and small businesses, as well as a theatre, a ballet company and I think there is still an opera house. To me, that's pretty urban. It's not so much the size as it is the make up and the demographics. Our small urban area is very diverse, racially and economically. Still, there are plenty of conservatives in the urban areas, just like there are in every urban area I've ever lived in including New Jersey.

I live within the city limits, but I consider my neighborhood to be suburban. We are a bit too far to walk downtown and the nearest stores are about two miles from here. The houses are on lots that are mostly over 1/3 acre but less than an acre.

If you drive a few miles from me, you enter what is now called exurban, meaning it's kind of rural in some ways but less than 50 miles from a good size city. Go a little bit further out and you're in a rural area, where most people live in lots that contain many acres and the only thing that might be close by is a Family Dollar store, churches and sometimes a small bank, gas station etc.

If it counts, my little city is right outside of the edge of what is considered Atlanta metro. It's grown and changed considerably over the 25 years that I've lived here. It seems far more urban now compared to when we moved here.

That's my perspective on urban, suburban etc. regardless of the definitions.

But, while there are more conservatives in rural areas, there are plenty of them in urban and suburban areas as well. A lot is going to depend on voter turnout next year. Too many people won't vote unless they are very excited about a candidate. Some will vote third party because they are.....let's just say idiots. ;) There's the same dumb excuses like "my vote doesn't count" "I don't know enough about the candidates" One former young coworker told me that once. I told her, just vote straight Democrat if you don't know them. You're young, Black and hardly making any money. You're not going to be helped by the Republicans. She agreed. I also worked with a white woman who was in her 80s and who lived in a very small town, who told me that she always voted for the Democratsbecause the Republican Party was the party for the wealthy and the Democratic Party was the party for everyone else. Still, many of my former patients who were in their 90s and dependent on SS and Medicare, voted for Trump in 2016. Go figure. A lot of people vote against their own self interests and/or just followed in the footsteps of their parents without giving voting much thought. And, of course, Trump is the great manipulator, who managed to get poor and lower middle class white people to vote for him by falsely telling him that he cared for. them, and those commie liberal elites were looking down on them......don't get me started.

Reactions: SLD
ivory tower academic in San Francisco means.
Ivory tower! That's rich... You probably make a darn sight more than I do, and my "tower" was a portable trailer out in parking lot C until a few years ago.

Also, I'm not all that familiar with the internal processes of the US Census, but I'm pretty sure none of them occur in San Francisco. It's necessary to use terminology at least somewhat consistently across fields, for the very reason your confusion demonstrates; if words mean very different things to different people, it's difficult for words to mean anything at all in conversation with someone from a different community. We of the "ivory tower"(lol!) tend to use the same definitions as the Census when talking demography, unless there's a pressing reason not to, as it is by far the most extensive collection of geographic data over time and adopting a different definition would therefore cause confusion. As for whether that matches folk taxonomies of the same, of course it doesn't, as my previous postings obsevred very clearly.

A county is not a city.

No it isn't.

What do you mean by rural if it doesn't include people in Wyoming? Or urban?

Sounds mostly like ideologists changing their meaning for words, like "rural", for their own purposes. Christians do the same thing.
Tom
The definitions I use are those used by the Census bureau.

Look up Sioux Falls SD population. Look up the counties it resides in. Sioux Falls ( urban) comprises the vast overwhelming portion of the population of the two counties. It is not even a particularly large city but most of SD is very very sparsely populated.

Look at where the population centers of Alaska are and compare their populations to the total population of Alaska. Alaska is generally a very rural state. Even its largest cities are not large. The entire population of Alaska is considerably less than the population of Philadelphia but that does not mean that Anchorage is not urban or that Pennsylvania doesn’t have a lot of rural areas.

But whatever makes you feel like a victim.
Tom
I'm not a "victim" for fuck's sake. I have a rich boyfriend, we're fine. But thank you for your concern.

I wasn't concerned about a rich Californian academic.

It was the
That's rich... You probably make a darn sight more than I do,

when I'm a poor artsy faggot atheist, in semi-rural Jesustan Indiana.

Tom

Godfuckingdammitalltohell.

I don't want Biden, but I sure as hell don't want Trump either. Both of these parties need to be burned to the ground and started over from scratch.

Trump remains the Teflon don. Nothing seems to make a dent in his popularity. A conviction won’t make a difference.
That's what Nixon got wrong. He thought he had to pretend not to be a crook. But voice of the rural white American cries out for a criminal in the White House. They want a guy who gets away with things, who does what he wants and the fallout sticks to his enemies and never to him. They want to be spanked, and told that they like it. They want to be stolen from, and told that they then owe something to the thief. They want to be told it's okay to be wicked, because if you're smart, you can be wicked and still be on top. A culture hero for the culture wars.
Please. Rural white America is a small fraction of any state, with the exception of four states: Maine, Vermont, West Virginia and Mississippi being the only states where a majority of the states population is considered rural. While it is true that urban areas on average are less politically conservative, the majority of any state’s population, with the exception of the four states mentioned earlier, resides in urban areas. In a majority of states, the percentage of urban dwellers is an overwhelming majority of the population. While it is true that a majority of the rural population is white, there is a significant portion of rural America which is minority. And that percentage is growing.
Are you really surprised at the repeated derision toward rural areas? At this point, it's sort of the chorus for some posters. They've got nothing but hate for anything outside of their bubbles.

Please. Rural white America is a small fraction of any state, with the exception of four states: Maine, Vermont, West Virginia and Mississippi being the only states where a majority of the states population is considered rural.
You have an awkward definition of "rural" if your list doesn't include Wyoming, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, or the Dakotas.
Tom
That would be because the vast majority of the population in those states live in cities.
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/sp...isingly, the three most,, and Vermont (35.1%).

65% of the population of Alaska is urban.

Wyoming: 62% urban. Idaho: 69.2%. Alaska: 64.9%. Montana: 53.4%. North Dakota: 61%. South Dakota: 57.2%.
So again.
What do you mean by "urban"?

If your definition of urban includes 62% of Wyoming we mean different things by the word. "I can see a neighbors house from my porch" isn't what I mean by "urban".
Tom
FFS, take it up with the US census bureau. Have you ever even been to Wyoming? To Cheyenne or Laramie or Jackson? They're urban. You might not consider them to be "metropolitan" but they sure as fuck aren't rural.

Back
Top Bottom