• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Black Jogger Gunned Down In The Street

Another takeaway from the story is that the criminals were foolish enough to give the police full statements of how the events transpired, which were later used to convict them.

Not foolish. Confident.

They were confident that the prosecutor would agree that they hadn't done anything very wrong. It's the essence of lynching.
Tom
And they would have gotten away with the murder if the video hadn't been released to the public and focused attention on the case. It took the police over two months to charge them.

Wow, with such a track record of theft and gun possession who'd a thunk Mr. Arbery'd neither have a gun nor stolen stuff on him when he was murdered. :rolleyes:

Imagine how much effort, angst and sorrow would be prevented if we all just minded our own business and left each other alone.

If your argument were sensical, racists could harass blacks at random, aiming their vehicle at them in near-collisions. Once the victim is sufficiently enraged he can then be shot to death in "self-defense"! To protect against this, I suppose blacks are obligated to throw up their arms and surrender to any white man who accosts them?

Wow! Do you live in Russia? Is that the way things are done there?
There are no specific citizen's arrest laws in Russia. Certainly not with guns. And self-defense laws are pretty weak.

Your argument is nonsensical. These 3 idiots had the right guy, they had citizen's arrest law and that's what they tried to do. Unfortunately the guy had some mental issues.
What mental issues???

There is ZERO evidence that Arbery committed any crime with respect to that construction site. His previous run ins with the law were minor in nature and he received probation, which is a long, long way away from a death sentence.

Imagine how much effort, angst and sorrow would be prevented if we all just minded our own business and left each other alone.
I bet in retrospect John Lennon would have added that line to his song.

Edit: yes I wrote this comment knowing tomorrow is the anniversary of his assassination. I plan on playing his music for hours that evening after work.

I bet in retrospect John Lennon would have added that line to his song.

Edit: yes I wrote this comment knowing tomorrow is the anniversary of his assassination. I plan on playing his music for hours that evening after work.
Tigers words to dog's ears. I would damn well see people stay out of my business to the extent I don't need cooperative magic to accomplish my goals.

But I accept that my demand for cooperative magic obligates me in some ways to contribute to such cooperation freely, and I recognize I am better for it, for to contribute brings back in spades leverage against ignorance, and shared defense against and identification of bad faith.

Another takeaway from the story is that the criminals were foolish enough to give the police full statements of how the events transpired, which were later used to convict them.

Not foolish. Confident.

They were confident that the prosecutor would agree that they hadn't done anything very wrong. It's the essence of lynching.
Tom

Not confident, privileged.

Edit: Clarification, they actually would have gotten away with it if the video wasn't made public. They had the privilege of not worrying about the law. Local Law enforcement should have some responsibility for creating these monsters.

If your argument were sensical, racists could harass blacks at random, aiming their vehicle at them in near-collisions. Once the victim is sufficiently enraged he can then be shot to death in "self-defense"! To protect against this, I suppose blacks are obligated to throw up their arms and surrender to any white man who accosts them?

There are no specific citizen's arrest laws in Russia. Certainly not with guns. And self-defense laws are pretty weak.

Your argument is nonsensical. These 3 idiots had the right guy, they had citizen's arrest law and that's what they tried to do. Unfortunately the guy had some mental issues.
What mental issues???

There is ZERO evidence that Arbery committed any crime with respect to that construction site. His previous run ins with the law were minor in nature and he received probation, which is a long, long way away from a death sentence.
His own mother called him mentally sick.
Bringing a gun to a school and stealing TV are not minor offences.
It was a minor miracle he was alive at the time of his death.

What mental issues???

His own mother called him mentally sick.
Bringing a gun to a school and stealing TV are not minor offences.
It was a minor miracle he was alive at the time of his death.
Where are you getting your information?

Arbery assaulted a guy with a gun. Travis McMichael had no intention to murder anyone.

Just an FYI Barbos, Travis lived in a state where the prosecution doesn't need to prove intent. Just letting ya know.

Arbery assaulted a guy with a gun. Travis McMichael had no intention to murder anyone.

Just an FYI Barbos, Travis lived in a state where the prosecution doesn't need to prove intent. Just letting ya know.
OK, don't know why you are telling me that. It does not refute what I am saying and I am not planning to practice criminal law in any of US state.

Having said that, prosecution did try to paint a picture of intent.

Did McMichael intend to murder? He probably wasn't planning on murdering anyone when he was sitting at the breakfast table drinking his morning coffee. However, later on in the day, he committed himself to actions that he knew were illegal and in that context a situation developed where he intended to use deadly force, not once, but multiple times knowing that it would likely result in death in the context of his illegal actions. He certainly hoped for privilege after the fact to be declared a legal killing, but that would be extra-legal privilege bestowed by a predominately white jury and/or brushing things under the rug by a community and local law enforcement that they had connections to. That warped, entitled thinking does not make it "not murder" that he intended to do later on in the moments where he made terrible, deadly decisions.

Nah, it just appeared that way. What the prosecution was doing was getting Travis to confess to his actions leading up to and including the murder under the disguise of questioning his intent and it worked because Travis was both a privileged and stupid white man.

Nah, it just appeared that way. What the prosecution was doing was getting Travis to confess to his actions leading up to and including the murder under the disguise of questioning his intent and it worked because Travis was both a privileged and stupid white man.
American justice system is all about appearance. Very little about actual truth.

Where are you getting your information?
Court documents posted in this thread.
Link, please.

Or at least refer to the post # so others can find them.
No, get a habit of actually reading what people post.
I have been reviewing this entire thread. I've been rereading what everyone posted last year before this thread went dormant and have been following along since it was revived. I don't remember the bizzaro claims you are making being substantiated but I am (so far) willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you have a genuine source. I am asking you to provide links to it.

If you cannot or will not provide a source then this all looks like stuff you made up. You'd be doing yourself a favor to dispel that notion, if you can.

Back
Top Bottom