• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Breakdown In Civil Order

I can't read this as anything but projection. I take action on these issues on a regular basis, while you sit around and whine on the internet about how everything is someone else's problem to solve.

But it is someone else's problem to solve!! The (living) politicians!! They are the ones to to solve this!!

I can't read this as anything but projection. I take action on these issues on a regular basis, while you sit around and whine on the internet about how everything is someone else's problem to solve.

But it is someone else's problem to solve!! The (living) politicians!! They are the ones to to solve this!!
Politicians will do as their self interest dictates. Under a democratic government, and despite its flaws I do still strongly believe in democratic governance, it's up to the citizens of a nation to ensure that their self interest and that of the country align wherever possible, and cull those whose interests cannot be thus aligned. You advocating for utter inaction on a personal level, while also attempting to shame me for inaction when I'm pushing for exactly the opposite is one of the weirdest things I've seen this morning. No, electing a politician and then washing your hands of the results is not an "action", especially if the politician you elect has no concrete plans for using their office to address social concerns and indeed advocates for the continuation of the same disastrous policies that have plagued their state for nearly a half century now.

As someone who was born here, I don't mind immigrants like yourself, but I do think they of all people should be more willing than anyone else to prove their worth by contributing meaningfully to the community they are voluntarily becoming a part of and benefiting from the strengths of.

Oh great, a slogan for your t-shirt now. Yeah, let the "adults" handle it. :rolleyesa: Were the children in charge of it before? Was it a long dead president?
No, a long dead governor, who then became a long dead president. Do you seriously know this little about the political history of your own state? Homeless citizens do not grow on trees. Did you know that homeless people in California do not occur at a consistent rate? Rather, the homeless population is aging, on average, at nearly the same rate as the natural progress of time, which is one of several reasons we know that the population in question is for the most part a single, aging cohort whose unstable housing situation began around the same time in California history. A very specific time period whose conditions and effects are actually extremely well known. The only outliers have been sporadic periods of homelessness waves created by three events: two foreign wars, and a barely controlled epidemic-cum-economic downturn, also spurred on by the damn Republicans. You people have contributed nothing to this state but bile and new problems to solve for the last forty years.
Ya gotta be kidding. Dems/liberals have near total control of California; and have so for a generation. What they want they get. When is the last time SF or LA had a Republican mayor? But it isn’t really a Dem/Rep issue. SF wasn’t a shit hole in the 90s. But the retreat of the Reps let the far left take over the Dems. Rational people realize that failing to address drug addiction and mental illness means the problem will continue to get worse. But the far left has made noticing that verboten.
Yep. This chart on this Wiki page says it all:

Political party strength in California

The State Legislature has been solid blue for over 30 years, except for 1995 & 1996 where Republicans barely had a majority in the State Assembly. Congress has been solid blue for 29 years. We did have a couple of Republican Govs in there (Pete Wilson and Ahnold).

Politicians will do as their self interest dictates. Under a democratic government, and despite its flaws I do still strongly believe in democratic governance, it's up to the citizens of a nation to ensure that their self interest and that of the country align wherever possible, and cull those whose interests cannot be thus aligned.

Well it seems the citizens of California like things this way because they keep voting the same way.

You advocating for utter inaction on a personal level, while also attempting to shame me for inaction when I'm pushing for exactly the opposite is one of the weirdest things I've seen this morning.

Me shaming you?!! That's rich.

No, electing a politician and then washing your hands of the results is not an "action", especially if the politician you elect has no concrete plans for using their office to address social concerns and indeed advocates for the continuation of the same disastrous policies that have plagued their state for nearly a half century now.

No, the problems plaguing the state of California are pretty recent.

As someone who was born here, I don't mind immigrants like yourself, but I do think they of all people should be more willing than anyone else to prove their worth by contributing meaningfully to the community they are voluntarily becoming a part of and benefiting from the strengths of.

You don't mind immigrants like myself?! Well that's very big of you. And I have contributed far, far more into this state than many people that were born here and currently living on the side walk shitting in the gutter. Why don't you go harass and lecture them instead of someone who functions in society?

JFC, could you be any more condescending?

TSwizzle, you are gravely mistaken on one item, at least. They are not shitting in the gutter. They are shitting ON the sidewalk. I know...I nearly stepped in it, and this was in one of the more affluent areas of SF...Pacific Heights.

TSwizzle, you are gravely mistaken on one item, at least. They are not shitting in the gutter. They are shitting ON the sidewalk. I know...I nearly stepped in it, and this was in one of the more affluent areas of SF...Pacific Heights.

Ugh. I saw a report that there is an app that shows you where the poop is in SF, or you can report the poop through an app or something?

Yeah, these are the types of "solutions" our politicians come up with. Here in Los Angeles, encampments grow under freeway overpasses. The solution? Install porta potties on the sidewalk. Over the past few months, on Cahuenga Blvd just at the Hollywood Bowl, there is a half mile stretch of RVs and other vehicles parked. There is a car that doesn't have wheels. This is a growing homeless encampment. Some RVs have furniture outside, like garden patios, on the road. Oh, and during the heavy rains back in late December, there was a slight rock slide that encroaches on the road. It's still there. But to be fair to the city, they did put a few traffic cones around it.

"Pacific Heights" is a great movie.

If you're going to simply ignore the evidence to the contrary that has been posted many times over to this thread already, you have nothing useful to contribute to the conversation you are supposedly starting. This statement of yours is simply untrue. You may believe it to be true, but this belief is not one founded on evidence, so why should anyone care?

As for your upset at being "condescended" to... if you want respect from others, learn to give it. You routinely talk about fellow human beings with despicable language in this thread, just because they are homeless, or committed a crime. You really think I care if your own feelings get hurt by a recounting of political history?

If you want my respect, thought I doubt that is actually the case, complaining about supposed ill treatment won't get you there. Do something worth respecting. Give something back to the community you so mock and despise despite the gifts it has clearly given you.

Give something back to the community you so mock and despise despite the gifts it has clearly given you.
Would you say that to the drug addict who shits on the sidewalk and breaks into cars? That their behavior mocks all the good intentions and $$$ spent to make their lives better?

If you're going to simply ignore the evidence to the contrary that has been posted many times over to this thread already, you have nothing useful to contribute to the conversation you are supposedly starting. This statement of yours is simply untrue. You may believe it to be true, but this belief is not one founded on evidence, so why should anyone care?

The "homeless" problem turned into a "homeless" crisis only recently, in the past few years. I observed this happening with my own eyes and experiences. And anyway, it needs fixed NOW.

As for your upset at being "condescended" to...

LOL, I'm not upset by it. By the way, which immigrants is it that you do mind coming here?

if you want respect from others, learn to give it. You routinely talk about fellow human beings with despicable language in this thread, just because they are homeless, or committed a crime.
No idea what you are talking about, could you provide an example where I have used such language ?

You really think I care if your own feelings get hurt by a recounting of political history?

Well my feelings aren't hurt.

{snip}Give something back to the community you so mock and despise despite the gifts it has clearly given you.

I have no idea what you are on about here. Could you be specific? What community did I mock and what gifts did I receive from this community? Where is the community located so I can give them something, what am I to give?

Just another random attack in Los Angeles;

A man was stabbed repeatedly while walking in Chinatown this week in what appears to be a random attack, Los Angeles police said. William Yu, 46, was walking near the intersection of Alpine Street and Broadway on Wednesday afternoon when he was approached by the assailant, police said. Yu was stabbed in the head and neck, along with lacerations to his groin and stomach, they said.

LA Times

Just another day in paradise;

An Oregon woman gave birth on the sidewalk of a Portland street and and abandoned the baby before walking away covered in blood and amniotic fluid, police say. EMS and first responders arrived at SW 13th Ave and SW Market St just before 11 am on Wednesday after receiving reports of a woman, who was not identified, that had given birth on the sidewalk. 'Someone just gave birth and left the baby here. Mom is walking away bleeding,' an unidentified caller told 911.

Daily Mail
It really is annoying how you just drop these links without further input.

Why do you think something like this might happen, and what could we as a society have done to ensure that it didn't? What do you feel should be done for the child?

This is clearly a case of ignorance. Every state has a safe haven law, she could have handed the baby to the appropriate authorities (exactly who varies from state to state--for Oregon it's pretty much any police/fire/medical facility, anybody working there will do) and walked away with no obligations. I suspect she had something wrong upstairs.

Just another random attack in Los Angeles;

A man was stabbed repeatedly while walking in Chinatown this week in what appears to be a random attack, Los Angeles police said. William Yu, 46, was walking near the intersection of Alpine Street and Broadway on Wednesday afternoon when he was approached by the assailant, police said. Yu was stabbed in the head and neck, along with lacerations to his groin and stomach, they said.

LA Times
Just another random article with no discussion.

If I want to read articles from the LA Times or any other media outlet, I can go to their websites.

Pathological altruism.

‘Devastating,’ nonprofit says after bailing out Missouri man accused of killing wife

Hours after a nonprofit group bailed a Missouri man out of jail, he beat his wife so severely that she died five days later, police said, according to KMOV.
Chilling anecdote.

How many men who were arrested on a misdemeanor domestic assault charge go on to kill their partner after they are released on a $5,000 bond? The fact that you dug out an example from three years ago makes me suspect you might possibly find a handful if you comb through the records going back ten years in 18,000 US police departments.

Pathological altruism.

‘Devastating,’ nonprofit says after bailing out Missouri man accused of killing wife

Hours after a nonprofit group bailed a Missouri man out of jail, he beat his wife so severely that she died five days later, police said, according to KMOV.
Chilling anecdote.

How many men who were arrested on a misdemeanor domestic assault charge go on to kill their partner after they are released on a $5,000 bond? The fact that you dug out an example from three years ago makes me suspect you might possibly find a handful if you comb through the records going back ten years in 18,000 US police departments.

There probably are several.

Filing a domestic violence complaint is a dangerous thing to do, the abuser sometimes reacts with serious violence or murder. This case is notable for how he was bailed out, not for the pattern of DV arrest -> release -> murder.

A homeless career criminal has been arrested and charged with brutally assaulting a nurse after police said he was caught on video repeatedly throwing the victim down the stairs at a Seattle light rail station in an unprovoked attack. According to court documents obtained by DailyMail.com, shortly before noon on March 2, a 62-year-old nurse got off the light rail at the Chinatown-International District station and was walking up the stairs when Alexander Jay grabbed her and threw her back down. The horrific attack comes as Seattle continues to be plagued by crime from homeless encampments that have sprouted in the woke Pacific Northwest bastion. Last week, Amazon announced it would relocate 1,800 workers from its downtown offices over fears for their safety.

Daily Mail

The video shows the "homeless" person running up the escalator to cut off his intended victim at the top of the stairs. He throws the woman down the stairs twice, then drags her to the ground, kicks and stamps on her before walking away. This is what happens when you allow the "homeless" encampments to flourish.

A homeless career criminal has been arrested and charged with brutally assaulting a nurse after police said he was caught on video repeatedly throwing the victim down the stairs at a Seattle light rail station in an unprovoked attack. According to court documents obtained by DailyMail.com, shortly before noon on March 2, a 62-year-old nurse got off the light rail at the Chinatown-International District station and was walking up the stairs when Alexander Jay grabbed her and threw her back down. The horrific attack comes as Seattle continues to be plagued by crime from homeless encampments that have sprouted in the woke Pacific Northwest bastion. Last week, Amazon announced it would relocate 1,800 workers from its downtown offices over fears for their safety.

Daily Mail

The video shows the "homeless" person running up the escalator to cut off his intended victim at the top of the stairs. He throws the woman down the stairs twice, then drags her to the ground, kicks and stamps on her before walking away. This is what happens when you allow the "homeless" encampments to flourish.
What do the quotation marks stand for?

Back
Top Bottom