• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Breakdown In Civil Order

Just another day in Calcutta progrssive utopia San Francisco.

A graphic video has emerged of a homeless woman giving birth on a San Francisco sidewalk in broad daylight as passersby try to help her. The incident occurred on Geary Street in San Francisco, right next to Union Square, in the city's Tenderloin District, which is infamously overrun by drug-addicted homeless people. In the video published online, the woman is seen lying on her side with her pants pulled down, attempting to cradle the newborn. Two other people appear in the video by the woman's side, one man, wearing a baseball cap and with his cellphone out, kneels beside her as the baby emerges, and the other stands over the heartbreaking scene. The baby lies on the sidewalk, crying, covered in the mess of its birth until its mother reaches to scoop it up with a piece of fabric.

Daily Mail

Thanks governor Newsom (y)

A graphic video has emerged of a homeless woman giving birth on a San Francisco sidewalk in broad daylight as passersby try to help her. The incident occurred on Geary Street in San Francisco, right next to Union Square, in the city's Tenderloin District, which is infamously overrun by drug-addicted homeless people. In the video published online, the woman is seen lying on her side with her pants pulled down, attempting to cradle the newborn. Two other people appear in the video by the woman's side, one man, wearing a baseball cap and with his cellphone out, kneels beside her as the baby emerges, and the other stands over the heartbreaking scene. The baby lies on the sidewalk, crying, covered in the mess of its birth until its mother reaches to scoop it up with a piece of fabric.

Daily Mail

And this shit doesn't happen in red states. Yeah f'ing right.

I wonder what could be filmed if people took cameras to places like Mississippi, Arkansas, Florida, etc.

And as if Newsome just chooses not to fix the problem. Boiling the homeless problem to one man in one state is absurd. It's a really complicated problem that requires a united effort to fix. Trumpites and the slightly less fascistic GOP love, love, love to point and hoot at our problems here, but the second something that even begins to approach a solution is responded to with, "Why should I have to pay for that!"

They don't want to pay to help the homeless, they don't want to pay to help treat addiction and mental illness, and they certainly don't want to pay for education that could help to prevent so much of this. But good god do they love to holler about it.

but the second something that even begins to approach a solution is responded to with, "Why should I have to pay for that!"

They don't want to pay to help the homeless, they don't want to pay to help treat addiction and mental illness, and they certainly don't want to pay for education that could help to prevent so much of this. But good god do they love to holler about it.

Do you have any idea how much money has been thrown at the "homeless" problem in California?! I already am paying for something but things keep getting worse.

but the second something that even begins to approach a solution is responded to with, "Why should I have to pay for that!"

Do you have any idea how much money has been thrown at the "homeless" problem in California?! I already am paying for something but things keep getting worse.
Because lack of funding for homeless programs isn't what's causing the rise in homelessness. Unfettered capitalistic avarice causes homelessness, and no one does nor honestly wishes to do anything about that. But saying that we should therefore refuse to fund homeless services is like saying we should defund the hospitals because the number of ER visits have been spiking (also true of the last three years, as it happens). Refusing to address the symptoms is even worse than refusing to treat the disease.

Daily Mail

And this shit doesn't happen in red states. Yeah f'ing right.
There they have the decency to give birth in the toilet.

Yes, and it's not enough. The safety nets in place are thin and have gaping holes in them. Inpatient psychiatric care is lacking as are inpatient drug treatment centers. For addicts in particular, they might get a sweet 3 day detox stay and then it's right back out on the street.

So what's the conservative solution? From nearly everything I've read it's 1) celebrate blue state problems 2) offer absolutely nothing as a solution 3) actively work against any solution. Oh, and of course, give their own homeless a one way bus ticket to California. California should be able to sue those dirtbag states for $5 million a pop + legal fees.

If Biden and every non-conservative had a rally tomorrow to eliminate homelessness, how many GOP'ers and Trumpites would work with them to make it happen? My guess is about 1%, which coincidentally enough is a figure those fascist rats have an affinity for.

One of the largest supermarkets in Downtown San Francisco has closed down just one year after opening due to widespread drug use, theft and aggressive behavior towards staff members. Organic food giant Whole Foods opened a new 'flagship' location at Trinity Place in the city's Tenderloin district in March 2022, hoping to revitalize footfall after two years of draconian COVID restrictions severely impacted businesses in the area. But a Whole Foods spokesperson declared the store closed down last night due to safety concerns for its staff. It comes just days after Cash App founder Bob Lee was stabbed to death just over a mile away as residents flee San Francisco amid rising crime rates. The Trinity Place Whole Foods store suffered problems from the moment it opened its doors in March 2022, with managers in October reducing operating hours due to 'high theft' and hostile visitors. One month later, the store announced customers would only be able to access the toilets with a valid QR code after syringes and pipes were found littering the bathroom floor.

Daily Mail

This should make you chuckle. Gavin Newsom outlining his ten year plan to solve SF homelessness. ;

IN 2008!!!

Yes, and it's not enough. The safety nets in place are thin and have gaping holes in them. Inpatient psychiatric care is lacking as are inpatient drug treatment centers. For addicts in particular, they might get a sweet 3 day detox stay and then it's right back out on the street.

So what's the conservative solution? From nearly everything I've read it's 1) celebrate blue state problems 2) offer absolutely nothing as a solution 3) actively work against any solution. Oh, and of course, give their own homeless a one way bus ticket to California. California should be able to sue those dirtbag states for $5 million a pop + legal fees.

If Biden and every non-conservative had a rally tomorrow to eliminate homelessness, how many GOP'ers and Trumpites would work with them to make it happen? My guess is about 1%, which coincidentally enough is a figure those fascist rats have an affinity for.
Of course, I think the correct thing to do here is to stop eating the drug war, especially against the homeless. If there is a homeless shelter, honestly, I think a two thirds of it should be dedicated as a safe use space and a vocational school rather than dedicating two thirds of the space to a fucking church.

That's the solution. Not a detox, but a pure "carrot" approach:go to school, then you get drugs if you want them, and a safe place to sleep at night with your dog or your cat.

If you don't want to shower, though, you don't get to visit the "drugs" counter.

They arrested someone for the Bob Lee murder.

Cash App founder Bob Lee was fatally stabbed by an IT consultant near downtown San Francisco after the two men — who police say knew each other — got into an argument over the suspect's sister, according to court documents obtained Friday by NBC News.

The suspect — 38-year-old Nima Momeni of Emeryville, a suburb of San Francisco — drove Lee to a secluded area and stabbed him three times with a 4-inch kitchen knife, including twice in the chest, according to the documents. At least one of the stab wounds punctured Lee's heart.

Nima Momeni? Could it be sudden jihad syndrome? Sleeper agent for the IRGC?
Yeah, there was an argument about the suspect's sister, so clearly Islam is to blame. :rolleyesa: :hobbyhorse:
You are flippant now... let's see

You like one of the big three Abrahamic religions?

You don't
What I like is irrelevant - as is religion, in this case.

There's exactly fuck all reason to bring up any religion, based on the evidence currently available. But some people can't help making the jump from "something bad occurred" to "Islam must be involved".

It's completely unjustified.

Where should the money be thrown? If your state or local government wanted to waste money replacing the old ugly industrial looking street lamps on your street with some classic Parisian style ones, you probably wouldn't bat an eye at the cost. Or if they opted to instead of wasting money on the homeless, reduced your vehicle registration fees, you'd probably try and vote for them twice.

Are you expecting homelessness to go away? They are human beings and they are a priority of where your tax dollars should go long before any consideration be given to making life easier for those who already have an easy life.

Where should the money be thrown?
In California, billions of dollars has been spent on the “homeless” crisis. To be fair, there has been some signs of improvement, the clearing of the Echo Park encampment for example. Although now that the fence has been removed, I would not be surprised to see another encampment getting established.

Are you expecting homelessness to go away?

No but I don’t think the “homeless” should feel entitled to set up home wherever they like.

The site Home - Restorative Justice has been done since I earlier visited it and discussed its contents.

Three Core Elements of Restorative Justice - Restorative Justice
Encounter

Encounter is the starting point, a facilitated meeting that brings together people most impacted by crime to determine how to repair harm. Encounters start with an invitation, and all parties participate voluntarily. There are three keys to effective encounters.
  • Before offenders can participate, they must take responsibility for their wrong and want to make amends.
  • All stakeholders impacted by the wrongdoing—victims, offenders, and community members—have a voice in the justice process.
  • Meetings that are encounters occur in safe spaces, foster vulnerability, and include free sharing without judgment.

Repair

Because crime harms people and tears apart both relationships and communities, restorative justice seeks to repair harm from a broad perspective. Each stakeholder has unique needs that arise from crime. Repair addresses:
  • The victim’s need for healing. Victims heal through the encounter and its outcomes.
  • The offender’s need to make amends, as offenders must atone for wrongdoing and work to regain good standing in community. Encounters empower offenders to make amends directly to victims and potentially community members.
  • The community’s need for relational health and safety. Family, friends, and others support victims and offenders as they heal and reintegrate into community.

Transform

Restorative encounters create spaces that lead to transformed individuals— victims and offenders – and pinpoint root causes of crime, even systemic and structural issues.

Once identified, these systemic issues can be faced, dealt with, and potentially changed to foster more just systems and healthier, safer communities.
Seems like an important part is for the offender to accept guilt. It is also good in that it accepts victims' concerns. Also that it involves helping victims recover from the crimes that they suffered, instead of ignoring them or acting as if they are guilty of enabling those crimes.

Gothamist on Twitter: "Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Tuesday met with organizers of Stand Up to Violence, a first-of-its-kind program in New York that has shown a nearly 60% reduction in gunshot injuries. (link)" / Twitter
noting
AOC says Bronx gun violence program should be national model - Gothamist
noting
Improving Adolescent Violent Trauma Outcomes With a Hospital-Based Violence Prevention Initiative | Hospital Pediatrics | American Academy of Pediatrics
with these results:
A total of 535 patients were evaluated and were primarily male (92.5%), Black (54%)/Latino (36.4%), with mean age of 19.1 years. Patients in the exposure group had increased odds of attending >50% of scheduled clinic postdischarge follow-up visits (odds ratio, 2.29; 95% confidence interval 1.59–3.29) and decreased odds of subsequent violent reinjury presentation (odds ratio, 0.41; 95% confidence interval 0.22–0.75) 3 months after hospital discharge.

Back to The Gothamist.
“What we're here to talk about is what works,” Ocasio-Cortez said Tuesday during a visit exclusively accompanied by a Gothamist reporter. “And this is one of the only things that has been clinically proven to stop violence.”

Based in Jacobi Hospital, Stand Up to Violence is a first-of-its kind gun violence program in New York where interventions take place soon after a gunshot victim is brought into the emergency room. Social workers and so-called credible messengers — community members, including former gang members, who have lived through violence — are dispatched to resolve disputes and stop retaliations.

During her conversation, Ocasio-Cortez described budgets as “moral documents.”

Asked about the community’s concern about police violence, she replied, “Shifting our investments into community programs like these, I very strongly believe reduces incidents of police brutality.”

In one of her sharpest critiques of city spending, she added: “We have militarized the city while under-investing in the youth opportunities that actually keep young people employed and prosperous and families supported. We have militarized the city and we don't even have housing.”

During the roughly hour-long conversation with organizers, Ocasio-Cortez was peppered with a mix of questions: about her path to politics, her work as a member of congress, and whether she was a Yankees fan (she is).

A frequent target of Republicans and even some moderate Democrats, she argued that politics should be irrelevant in the face of data-backed programs like Stand Up to Violence.

“Let’s put our differences aside,” she said. “Show me what you have done that is clinically proven to reduce violence in your community.”

“Because I'll show you mine,” she added.

Where should the money be thrown?
Can't speak for the Swizzler, but usually when we talk about "throwing money at x" it means that it is not enough just to spend money, but you also need a good strategy on how money is to be used to fix a problem.
Take US 2ndary education. Plenty of money is spent per student, and yet the results are lackluster.
Are you expecting homelessness to go away? They are human beings and they are a priority of where your tax dollars should go long before any consideration be given to making life easier for those who already have an easy life.
But how to do it? Those who are homeless due to temporary economic hardship can be helped easily enough, but what about those who are homeless because of mental illness? And are resistant to treatment? That will not be solved simply by spending more money.

Back
Top Bottom