• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Breakdown In Civil Order

But it says right in the snippet "Dem-run city" so obviously the solution to make them not be Dem-run.
Not much chance of that, in most of them. But at least the Dems they are electing could be more sane. Chicago had a choice between two Democrats, Brandon "defunding police is a political goal" Johnson and the sane Paul Vallas. Disappointingly, but not surprisingly, Chicago chose Johnson. LA had a choice between Karen Bass, a far left progressive, and the moderate Rick Caruso. The Fidel Castro fangirl who had travelled to Cuba as part of the Venceremos Brigade, and who also has ties to the Nation of Islam, won.
If I recall, Miami has a higher crime rate than L.A.
A lot of things affect crime rates, not just the leadership. Such as geographical position.
That said, I would agree that Republican leadership is not a panacea either. I would take a reasonable Democrat over an unreasonable Republican and vice versa.

Nothing new here. It is as it always has been. The only difference is all the bad happening in the world is immediately available for all to see and scare the hell out of a bunch of dipshits.
Criminals have always been with us, so much is true. What is new is this new spate of fauxgressive, anti-police mayors like Brandon Johnson or soft on crime DAs like Kim Foxxx.

Given their age, these violent criminals will likely just get a slap on the wrist from her office.
Liberal politicians pandering to the extremes in their liberal cities? Such a thing. It's like they want to stay in power. A new low among politicians for sure. We Independents are going to have to keep this ship on an even keel.

But it says right in the snippet "Dem-run city" so obviously the solution to make them not be Dem-run.
Not much chance of that, in most of them. But at least the Dems they are electing could be more sane. Chicago had a choice between two Democrats, Brandon "defunding police is a political goal" Johnson and the sane Paul Vallas. Disappointingly, but not surprisingly, Chicago chose Johnson. LA had a choice between Karen Bass, a far left progressive, and the moderate Rick Caruso. The Fidel Castro fangirl who had travelled to Cuba as part of the Venceremos Brigade, and who also has ties to the Nation of Islam, won.
If I recall, Miami has a higher crime rate than L.A.
A lot of things affect crime rates, not just the leadership. Such as geographical position.
That said, I would agree that Republican leadership is not a panacea either. I would take a reasonable Democrat over an unreasonable Republican and vice versa.
I actually agree on both points. The first part of that reply was tongue-in-cheek to point out exactly what you describe in the second part. We're running into an issue now where there's no such thing as a reasonable republican, for obvious reasons, and some on the left are going too far the opposite direction. It will take some time but I expect the pendulum to settle back closer to the middle if/when the trump parts finally implodes. For instance, in the Thunderdome wasteland where I'm currently sitting (Seattle), the rule that disallowed all police chases has been revoked.

Americans always do the right thing, after they've tried everything else.

There may not be a perfect solution but I sure as hell wish these idiots in charge would stop doing shit that makes things worse.
Can you show me where it hurts you other than the pocketbook?
Is there another country that has shown an economic recovery from COVID (the Trump virus) that exceeds that of the US?
If that's the only wound you are suffering, and blame Biden for it... that's living in lalaland unless you are enjoying being in top 0.1% of Americans in net worth and income. Certainly if your interest is to increase without limit, the degree to which you can enrich yourself and your friends on the backs of willing labor, well ... probably time to go to the beach, and ponder. You'll feel better once you've made peace with the fact that SOMEONE is going to own everything, so why not ME?
For the rest of us, the economic stats (plural) speak the truth.

Just the usual blather, all talk no solutions...

Ignore the fact that most cities are Dem-run. Also ignore that Rep-run cities like Tulsa and Miami aren't all that great either. If I recall, Miami has a higher crime rate than L.A.
I have a solution: Let's get rid of cities so people can behave like people instead of rabid rats.

To be fair, that might be a biased view driven by my own deep dislike of cities.

In a dramatic turn of events that could have far-reaching implications for renters nationwide, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) conducted an unannounced raid on Cortland Management’s headquarters in Atlanta on Wednesday, May 22. This action is part of a criminal antitrust investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) into allegations that Cortland has been involved in a conspiracy to artificially inflate apartment rents. This raid is more than just a legal drama; it’s a significant development that could impact millions of renters, including those in Rhode Island, who have been grappling with soaring rental prices.

At the heart of this investigation is RealPage, a software and consulting firm that allegedly orchestrates price-fixing among large corporate landlords. RealPage’s system, which is owned by Thoma Bravo, one of the largest private equity firms in the U.S., provides rental price recommendations to landlords. These recommendations are based on detailed real-time data shared by landlords, including pricing, inventory, and occupancy rates. RealPage’s influence is extensive, affecting rents for 70% of multi-family apartment buildings and 16 million units across the country.

In a dramatic turn of events that could have far-reaching implications for renters nationwide, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) conducted an unannounced raid on Cortland Management’s headquarters in Atlanta on Wednesday, May 22. This action is part of a criminal antitrust investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) into allegations that Cortland has been involved in a conspiracy to artificially inflate apartment rents. This raid is more than just a legal drama; it’s a significant development that could impact millions of renters, including those in Rhode Island, who have been grappling with soaring rental prices.

At the heart of this investigation is RealPage, a software and consulting firm that allegedly orchestrates price-fixing among large corporate landlords. RealPage’s system, which is owned by Thoma Bravo, one of the largest private equity firms in the U.S., provides rental price recommendations to landlords. These recommendations are based on detailed real-time data shared by landlords, including pricing, inventory, and occupancy rates. RealPage’s influence is extensive, affecting rents for 70% of multi-family apartment buildings and 16 million units across the country.
If this is as big as it looks there's going to quite some shockwaves. I suspect most of the landlords have no rens mea, though.

When in a hole, first stop digging. That means voting out toxic mayors like Michelle Wu and DAs like Gascon and Moriarty.
We could take out a majority of crime overnight--repeal the drug laws. They're the primary driver of crime. Yet the Republicans keep digging.

When in a hole, first stop digging. That means voting out toxic mayors like Michelle Wu and DAs like Gascon and Moriarty.
We could take out a majority of crime overnight--repeal the drug laws. They're the primary driver of crime. Yet the Republicans keep digging.
Because that's worked so very well in Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco?

According to this article it takes more time to work than these cities gave it before giving up.

According to this article it takes more time to work than these cities gave it before giving up.

Politico said:
Drug overdose deaths spiked almost 50 percent, from 1,171 in 2021, when possession of drugs for personal use was decriminalized, to 1,683 in October 2023, according to the latest data available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Opioids, particularly fentanyl, caused most of the deaths, according to the Oregon Health Authority. The number of homeless people in Portland, the state’s largest city, also rose to nearly 6,300 in 2023, a 65 percent hike since 2015. And public drug use grew rampant in the city, leading state and local leaders to declare a 90-day fentanyl emergency in January.

Yeah, just need to ride it out until when?

As noted, when in a hole, stop digging.

Maybe until the people who want to OD have ODed. Sad. But at least they won’t be causing the dreaded PROPERTY DAMAGE or committing crimes to support their habit, if drugs are cheap and legal.
Meanwhile you are … uh, misrepresenting the situation, at least in SF unless something else has changed. Prop 47 did NOT decriminalize possession or use of heroin, for instance. Police simply don’t enforce it; selective enforcement is yet another problem created by drug laws.
I’m really sorry if you have lost friends and family to drugs, Swiz. But locking up junkies is really expensive and pointless. As far as overdoses … can you say Narcan? It’s cheap.

Politico said:
Drug overdose deaths spiked almost 50 percent, from 1,171 in 2021, when possession of drugs for personal use was decriminalized, to 1,683 in October 2023, according to the latest data available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Opioids, particularly fentanyl, caused most of the deaths, according to the Oregon Health Authority. The number of homeless people in Portland, the state’s largest city, also rose to nearly 6,300 in 2023, a 65 percent hike since 2015. And public drug use grew rampant in the city, leading state and local leaders to declare a 90-day fentanyl emergency in January.

As noted, when in a hole, stop digging.
the problem with the oregon experiment is that the first part of the two pronged approach, the decriminalization part, went into effect immediately and the second prong, the money for treatment and mental health etc, didn't go into effect for 1.5 years.

i suppose we should take the approach that conservatives do. use an issue to scare people but never do anything about it because then you lose the talking point.

i personally would rather experiment with approaches that have never been tried before and if it doesn't work you can adjust as needed.

what do YOU think is the solution to the drug problem in oregon?

the problem with the oregon experiment is that the first part of the two pronged approach, the decriminalization part, went into effect immediately and the second prong, the money for treatment and mental health etc, didn't go into effect for 1.5 years.

The people that set up this catastrophe should be booted out of office.

i suppose we should take the approach that conservatives do. use an issue to scare people but never do anything about it because then you lose the talking point.

not sure what to make of the above but it seems like snark?

i personally would rather experiment with approaches that have never been tried before and if it doesn't work you can adjust as needed.

No matter how many people die on the streets? Just keep experimenting and what? Claim that the fewer deaths are because the experiment worked even though we all know it's because the addicts have died off?

I don't know but unfettered access to lethal drugs and the enablement for taking them in the street is obviously not the way to go.

Okaaaayyyyyy... But I really have to question the wisdom of this. Those cities gave it three years, and during that time things got worse for everyone else in the city. What is the trade-off that you feel is appropriate? How many law-abiding, non-drug-using, tax-paying citizens need to suffer damages, threats, and health violations so that a small number of anti-social people can feel free to use drugs wherever and whenever they want?

All of those cities have seen increases in homelessness, increases in petty crimes, increased vandalism and property destruction, public health risks, used drug paraphernalia and human feces in common places, increased threats and intimidation, and closures of many stores as a result. At some point, don't you kind of step back and say "This isn't working"?

Reasonable drug laws that disallow public use, driving while under the influence, and being high in public. Retain the illegality of some of the more extreme drugs, for example I really don't think that fentanyl or methamphetamines should be legal for recreational use at all. For some of the less extreme and less addictive drugs, include oversight and regulation of them. Pair that with increased treatment push for addicts, which should include at least some degree of involuntary inpatient treatment in cases where the individual cannot maintain their livelihood in a functional manner.

I’m most concerned about corruption in the Supreme Court, the impact of the McConnell Ryan Trump tax give away on revenue, the appointment of shills to and destruction of executive agencies, etc… But hey if we can just keep the brown people and queers in check then it won’t matter if a couple of global entities hold all the capital, control the supply chains, freely dump negative externalities on the commons, and fix prices then everything will be okay. It will be a bonus if the Christianists get to claim their territories.

I do not think all drug laws should be abolished, but they can certainly be liberalized. That would not "take out majority of the crime" though. I think most drug users who get arrested do so for some ancillary crime, and not being busted buying or using. Thing like driving under the influence, or stealing to feed one's habit. Neither of these would go away if drug laws were repealed, but the prosecutors would not be able to tack on various possession and paraphernalia charges. Mandatory rehab would also be a better sentence than jail for lower level drug-influenced crimes.

Also, laws against consensual sex work should be repealed and replaced with reasonable regulation to ensure health and safety of everyone involved. People who force others into sex work should be went after aggressively though.

What I meant with stopping digging is this trend in "liberal" cities to not prosecute things that should be prosecuted - crimes like theft or driving with no insurance or license revoked. Many cities are also banning cops from conducting traffic stops - a big mistake.

Back
Top Bottom