• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

I know I'm probably wasting my time asking you this, but why do you reject the science after so many years of evidence?
You are making the mistake of believing that the poster's stated views are sincere, and not an elaborate piece of long-running performance art.
I've considered that, but I know some Republicans who honestly don't believe in climate change, so who really knows what goes on in someone else's head?

I know I'm probably wasting my time asking you this, but why do you reject the science after so many years of evidence?
You are making the mistake of believing that the poster's stated views are sincere, and not an elaborate piece of long-running performance art.
I've considered that, but I know some Republicans who honestly don't believe in climate change, so who really knows what goes on in someone else's head?
Inertia. People get locked into thinking that things will be as they were. For Conservatives, this is kind of "their deal", with most of their policy. The problem TSwizzle has is a lack of vision. Much like how someone who exclaims Evolution doesn't occur because we don't see a chicken give birth to a cow. They seem incapable of seeing nuance with the climate. Which is unfortunate, because these changes aren't all that nuanced now, forget in 50 years.

It is as if we aren't manning arks to save humanity, things aren't getting more difficult.

They seem incapable of seeing nuance with the climate. Which is unfortunate, because these changes aren't all that nuanced now, forget in 50 years.
The inability to perceive isn’t a glitch, it’s a feature to allow claims of “imperceptible” change.

As somebody posted, I think part of it is that for many it is hard to component an uncertain future.

I had several threads on politics asking n what basis do you think next year or 20 years from now things will be the same. Got no responses.

That is where Christianity comes in. Trust in god and a glorious eternal afterlife.

At some point one realizes those that think pragmatically, logically, scientifically, and mathematically are in the small minority.

Ask someine how the lights in their house works and they might say 'Turn on the switch'. It is unrealistic to expect people to respond to a scientific argument.

Consider the climate disputers in congress are most or all college grads, some from upper tier schools.

It really is a religion;

Today, the government has thrown its weight behind a climate-busting, backward-looking coalmine in Cumbria. The staggering hypocrisy of demanding other countries phase down coal, just when we’re phasing it back in again, sends a truly terrible message to global south countries and marks this decision as a climate crime against humanity.

Teh Gruaniad

It really is a religion;

Today, the government has thrown its weight behind a climate-busting, backward-looking coalmine in Cumbria. The staggering hypocrisy of demanding other countries phase down coal, just when we’re phasing it back in again, sends a truly terrible message to global south countries and marks this decision as a climate crime against humanity.

Teh Gruaniad
Caroline Lucas is a fucking idiot.

Her opposition to nuclear power is a large part of the reason why Cumbria no longer has a strong and robust employment environment in that industry (which is a major factor in the opening of this coal mine); As well as being at least as significant a climate crime as opening the mine is.

You are right to ridicule her, albeit for the wrong reasons.

A Gruaniad writer talking about her kid’s futures or lack of;

But as I watched their art develop I realised two things: first, that they’re actually good at it; and second, fuck it.
It feels, without hyperbole, like trying to start a career at the end of the world. And so I realised that I wanted my kid to be an artist. Why not follow your dream through the apocalypse? What’s the worst that can happen – you won’t be able to retire? Your electricity will cost more than a car? You’ll lose your paintings when the warming sea envelops your home? Welcome to literally any iteration of your future. Capitalism will probably eke out a few more decades as we slowly boil to death in our ozone prison. But this impending reality has put me squarely on Team Dream-Following, if at all possible.let me say this: I hope the end of the world is your time to shine.

Teh Gruaniad

It really is a rapture like cult.

A Gruaniad writer talking about her kid’s futures or lack of;

But as I watched their art develop I realised two things: first, that they’re actually good at it; and second, fuck it.
It feels, without hyperbole, like trying to start a career at the end of the world. And so I realised that I wanted my kid to be an artist. Why not follow your dream through the apocalypse? What’s the worst that can happen – you won’t be able to retire? Your electricity will cost more than a car? You’ll lose your paintings when the warming sea envelops your home? Welcome to literally any iteration of your future. Capitalism will probably eke out a few more decades as we slowly boil to death in our ozone prison. But this impending reality has put me squarely on Team Dream-Following, if at all possible.let me say this: I hope the end of the world is your time to shine.

Teh Gruaniad

It really is a rapture like cult.
Sure, if you’re only browsing the extremes.

It’s like thinking that all republicans believe that Trump is actually still president and jfk junior is his vice president.

I don’t think anyone should get their climate science from a writer for the Guardian.

Teh Gruaniad is a mainstream newspaper and the BBC churns out the same crap as do a lot of others.
Sorry, the extreme opinions, even if they are presented in mainstream media.

The point is that that is not where to go to get climate science facts.

Teh Gruaniad is a mainstream newspaper and the BBC churns out the same crap as do a lot of others.

Indeed. Journalists are rarely educated in the sciences at all. If you want science, you're not going to find it in news media.

News media coverage of scientific stories is like getting a bright but disinterested nine year old to give you a match report on last night's football - if you're lucky, you might get an accurate final score, but the rest of the "news" will probably bear only a passing resemblance to what actually occurred.

Unfortunately that is where a lot of people are getting their “science facts” including the likes of Caroline Lucas who seems to think that a coal mine is a crime against humanity. The main stream media promotes this nonsense non stop.

Unfortunately that is where a lot of people are getting their “science facts” including the likes of Caroline Lucas who seems to think that a coal mine is a crime against humanity. The main stream media promotes this nonsense non stop.
I agree that it is unfortunate and I wish the media could report on science much better than they do.

That being said, that doesn’t mean that the science is wrong.

I agree that it is unfortunate and I wish the media could report on science much better than they do.

The settled science of Al Gore?

Al Gore isn't a scientist. Nobody except climate change deniers, and perhaps Al himself, thinks Al is an authority on the subject; He used his fame to push his opinion into the public eye, but literally nobody thinks climate change is real solely because Al Gore said so.

No. Al Gore is not a climate scientist.

I’ve been working with Earth scientists on a project for five years and Al Gore’s name has never come up.

As I said before, don’t get your science from the media.

I'm seriously trying to understand the cognition of Trumpists, QAnon, and whatever Ilk we see here.

Obviously Al Gore doesn't have any degree in climate science, let alone a PhD:
... he took a class with oceanographer and global warming theorist Roger Revelle, who sparked Gore's interest in global warming and other environmental issues. Gore graduated from Harvard with an A.B. cum laude in Government in June 1969.
The sheer chutzpah of that man! Took one college class and dares to have an opinion on climate change! Despicable!

BUT what I don't understand is what Al Gore has to do with the science, settled or not. If he believes in AGW does that mean AGW is false? Sean Hannity lacks a degree in climate science (or anything else); if he does NOT believe in AGW, does that make AGW true?

Assuming I've got TSwizzle's cognition figured, if Sean Hannity does NOT think the Apollo landings were staged, that means they WERE staged. This hardly makes sense. Can anyone fill me in? @TSwizzle - Do you have anything to say for yourself?

I'm seriously trying to understand the cognition of Trumpists, QAnon, and whatever Ilk we see here.

Obviously Al Gore doesn't have any degree in climate science, let alone a PhD:
... he took a class with oceanographer and global warming theorist Roger Revelle, who sparked Gore's interest in global warming and other environmental issues. Gore graduated from Harvard with an A.B. cum laude in Government in June 1969.
The sheer chutzpah of that man! Took one college class and dares to have an opinion on climate change! Despicable!

BUT what I don't understand is what Al Gore has to do with the science, settled or not. If he believes in AGW does that mean AGW is false? Sean Hannity lacks a degree in climate science (or anything else); if he does NOT believe in AGW, does that make AGW true?

Assuming I've got TSwizzle's cognition figured, if Sean Hannity does NOT think the Apollo landings were staged, that means they WERE staged. This hardly makes sense. Can anyone fill me in? @TSwizzle - Do you have anything to say for yourself?
You're a real treasure, Swammi!
:hysterical:
BTW, I thought I heard a knock - or some bad noise - in my wife's truck's engine, but I'm no mechanic. Does that mean it's all good?

Back
Top Bottom