• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

The video has nothing to do with the vaccines. It has to do with some senior managers at Pfizer advertising various drugs, only one is mentioned in the video, for off label uses that haven't been approved by the FDA. That is illegal.

Let me just say that there are many drugs that are effectively used for off label symptoms, including one that I've taken myself for over a decade with good results. These drugs aren't allowed to be promoted for off label uses and the PDR will say which purposes are off label. The PDR even gives so called "Black Box" warnings regarding certain drugs used off label. Sometimes, these drugs are used for these things anyway because there is no other option. Still, There are many drugs that are used effectively for off label purposes, but the drug companies are not permitted to market them for those purposes without full FDA approval. Imo, this has nothing do to with the development of the vaccines.

The way I feel about big Pharma is the way I feel about almost every human invention or organization. They can be used for both good and bad purposes. So, big Pharma develops many life saving drugs, but big Pharma also sometimes isn't honest about the effectiveness of a particular drug. This is nothing new. I just haven't seen any evidence that any of the current vaccines were developed dishonestly. Millions of people have taken these vaccines with very few experiencing more than mild side effects.

If it were not for the mutations that have been developing recently, due to the large percentage of people who have avoided being vaccinated, the pandemic might be receding in the US by now. Now we have a mutation that can be passed along by both vaccinated and unvaccinated folks and that just adds to the problem. It's just that very few vaccinated people have more than mild symptoms if they become infected. But, it's probably time for a booster for those of us who are older or have underlying conditions, as a tiny percentage of vaccinated folks have died from COVID.

But, to be honest, as long as so many poor nations have such limited access to vaccines, the more likelihood there is that this damn virus will be with us for a long time to come. That's why this is a international problem, not limited to the first world nations. While we have vaccine skeptics in the US, there are millions of people in poor nations who would jump at the chance to receive the vaccine. The US had donated millions of vaccines, but that is a small token of what is actually needed. The longer this goes on, the more likelyhood that this virus will mutate. What is the solution for getting the world vaccinated? I'd like to see big Pharma and all wealthy countries working together to supply the poorest countries with an adequate supply of vaccines. I'm just not optimistic about that happening.

It is about the company making one of the vaccines, so it is directly related to the vaccine in that way.

Or do you think the vaccine sprouted from magical soil?

OK.
I'll assume that it's got nothing to do with the vaccine or any other current issues.
Thanks for being clear. It's a side issue.
Tom

It is about the company making one of the vaccines, so it is directly related to the vaccine in that way.

Or do you think the vaccine sprouted from magical soil?
OK.
I'll assume that it's got nothing to do with the vaccine or any other current issues.
Thanks for being clear. It's a side issue.
Tom

B-b-but muh FREEDUM!!!

Due to your obsession with bears, you are imagining them in a massive bear orgy creating viral infections. That didn't happen outside your mind.

The other thing about it is that, despite the spike, few actually got sick. There’s really no reason to continue with this hysteria. The Zero Covid crowd are just stupid.

Plenty of people got sick. Few that are vaccinated died. Death isn't the only bad outcome.

We probably have several hundred thousand Americans with long term disability due to Covid.

And how many broken dicks? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8250520/

The video has nothing to do with the vaccines. It has to do with some senior managers at Pfizer advertising various drugs, only one is mentioned in the video, for off label uses that haven't been approved by the FDA. That is illegal.

Let me just say that there are many drugs that are effectively used for off label symptoms, including one that I've taken myself for over a decade with good results. These drugs aren't allowed to be promoted for off label uses and the PDR will say which purposes are off label.

Seconded. I've used two different off-label drugs in the past. In one case the doctor told me was off-label but worth trying. (Which was correct.) The second they didn't even bother--while it was off-label it's the standard of care.

Some friends went to a big party last week. Everybody at that party was vaccinated. It was one of the rules. One guy showed up infected with Covid. A couple of my friends got infected. But nobody had severe symptoms. Only mild. All my friends at this party got zero symptoms. They all tested positive. But that was it.

That seems to be the new reality of the situation for vaccinated. I think this is the new reality. Look forward to a world of endemic mild Covid-19

Due to your obsession with bears, you are imagining them in a massive bear orgy creating viral infections. That didn't happen outside your mind.

The other thing about it is that, despite the spike, few actually got sick. There’s really no reason to continue with this hysteria. The Zero Covid crowd are just stupid.
Zero?
Who wants Zero?
I mean, sure, we've managed zero Polio and Smallpox, but I'm not asking for Zero Covid. That'd be silly.
Maybe, though, we could hope that enough people take the basic precautions that are available, and drop the 'spikes' down to one Covid Floor of a hospital? A Ward? Not this 'calling neighboring states to try to find beds' shit.

To avoid hijacking this thread, I'll post comments about Covid-19 in Thailand in another thread.

But due to vaccine mismanagement here, I may end up having peculiar technical questions. If I get one Sinovac (or Pfizer) jab, how long must I wait before getting a Moderna jab? I won't have control over the timing: if/when a Pfizer or Moderna jab is available, I must get it on a stipulated day or not at all.)

Zero Covid? We are currently on track to have zero Americans who didn't contract Covid-19.

To avoid hijacking this thread, I'll post comments about Covid-19 in Thailand in another thread.

But due to vaccine mismanagement here, I may end up having peculiar technical questions. If I get one Sinovac (or Pfizer) jab, how long must I wait before getting a Moderna jab? I won't have control over the timing: if/when a Pfizer or Moderna jab is available, I must get it on a stipulated day or not at all.)

Sinovac is a dead virus type vaccine. I have seen noting about mixing it with a Pfizer/modera type. I have seen some discussion about possibly mixing doses of Pfizer with Moderna, one as the first and the other the second.

I'd be really suspicious of a plan that would mix use of Sinovac and either of those others. There are also open questions on Sinovac's effectiveness against Delta. If the dead virus was the original outbreak, it could be way out of date.

Australia descending into a totalitarian hell hole as the army are deployed to enforce lockdown;

Australia today used helicopters and the army to enforce its 'Zero Covid' lockdown, as thousands of police flooded Sydney city centre to enforce the rules and hand out $500 fines for those not wearing a mask. Sirens blared across the city and a draconian message was broadcast from the skies, as millions were told: 'This is public health order —do not break rules —you will be found and fines issued.'
Today, up to 1,300 police officers swarmed Sydney and set up a network of roadblocks in a massive show of force to avoid a repeat of last week's violent anti-lockdown protest. Some 250 fines, each worth $500, were issued across the city today, with one man arrested after travelling on trains outside his local government area without a reasonable excuse. Sydney's five million people are under a strict stay-at-home order because of a worrying surge of nearly 3,000 infections since the middle of June. Authorities have this week outlined even tighter restrictions for some worst-affected suburbs, including mandatory testing and mask-wearing outdoors. :rolleyes:

DailyMail

Australia descending into a totalitarian hell hole as the army are deployed to enforce lockdown;

Australia today used helicopters and the army to enforce its 'Zero Covid' lockdown, as thousands of police flooded Sydney city centre to enforce the rules and hand out $500 fines for those not wearing a mask. Sirens blared across the city and a draconian message was broadcast from the skies, as millions were told: 'This is public health order —do not break rules —you will be found and fines issued.'
Today, up to 1,300 police officers swarmed Sydney and set up a network of roadblocks in a massive show of force to avoid a repeat of last week's violent anti-lockdown protest. Some 250 fines, each worth $500, were issued across the city today, with one man arrested after travelling on trains outside his local government area without a reasonable excuse. Sydney's five million people are under a strict stay-at-home order because of a worrying surge of nearly 3,000 infections since the middle of June. Authorities have this week outlined even tighter restrictions for some worst-affected suburbs, including mandatory testing and mask-wearing outdoors. :rolleyes:

DailyMail

Still sounds better than Florida.

Yeah, just like the zero smallpox crowd and the zero polio crowd.
If there were 30% Traustis around when those scourges were being addressed with vaccines, smallpox and polio would still by ubiquitous.
But hell - no use denying reality. We DO have some 30% who are too stupid or too terminally misinformed to get vaccinated, so we will be dealing with variants indefinitely.
Therefore it is a GOOD thing that vaccinated people can carry a fair sized viral load, remain asymptomatic and spread deadly disease among the stupid and misinformed population.

DailyMail

How true do you suppose this actually is?
I've gotten the impression that Daily Mail is rather like Tucker Carlson. More about selling advertising than reporting the truth.
Willing to say so in court when their lies are called out.
Tom

This article to the suspicious layman would make some afraid of getting a vaccine, especially maybe the Novavax.

https://www.templehealth.org/about/news/sars-cov-2-spike-proteins-disrupt-the-blood-brain-barrier-potentially-raising-risk-of-neurological-damage-in-covid-19-patients

SARS-CoV-2 Spike Proteins Disrupt the Blood-Brain Barrier, Potentially Raising Risk of Neurological Damage in COVID-19 Patients

What exactly about the spike protein does this? It in the form of a full virus? After it is broken down?

I am not trying to be alarmist or passive aggressive here. This paranoia about this issue and vaccines is almost surely not warranted, so let's put it to bed.

Ok, worst case scenario (vanishingly unlikely) a small amount of the vaccine (Adenovirus or mRNA) gets to vicinity of the Blood brain barrier and would cause those cells to produce spike protein which are then worked on and presented via MHC1 only with FRAGMENTS several amino acids in size.

Isn't this gonna be a "So What?" situation and have no bearing on what the live virus does to the BBB? The vaccine does not interact with the ACE2 receptors for sure, does it cause the immune system to interact with it? Gonna think it does not, but assure the general public it does not.

These subtleties are important and are not being explained.

This is all new and there should be patience given to the layman about explaining this.

Or you could just call them evil assholes like you have been doing, which is not moving the needle much for vaccination rates.

... no use denying reality. We DO have some 30% who are too stupid or too terminally misinformed to get vaccinated, so we will be dealing with variants indefinitely.

I have a feeling that it's a direct result of the "industrial revolution" that enabled even the very stupid to reproduce prodigiously for the last couple hundred years, eventually thwarting the forces of natural selection to the point where those who would never have previously survived, comprise 30% of the population. Oh well - that can only be a temporary stay against the inevitable. Let's spread COVID as part of the Good News!

DailyMail

How true do you suppose this actually is?
I've gotten the impression that Daily Mail is rather like Tucker Carlson. More about selling advertising than reporting the truth.
Willing to say so in court when their lies are called out.
Tom
He supposes it's more true than actual eyewitness accounts from members of this board who actually live here:
What a authoritarian hell hole Australia is;

Australia today used helicopters and the army to enforce its 'Zero Covid' lockdown, as thousands of police flooded Sydney city centre to enforce the rules and hand out $500 fines for those not wearing a mask. Sirens blared across the city and a draconian message was broadcast from the skies, as millions were told: 'This is public health order —do not break rules —you will be found and fines issued.' Today, up to 1,300 police officers swarmed Sydney and set up a network of roadblocks in a massive show of force to avoid a repeat of last week's violent anti-lockdown protest.

Some 250 fines, each worth $500, were issued across the city today, with one man arrested after travelling on trains outside his local government area without a reasonable excuse.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9846939/Soldiers-sent-enforce-lockdown-Sydney.html

So let's see if I've got this correct:

Despite the fact the every medical community across the world independently came to same conclusion about mask wearing during a global pandemic, you are convinced there isn't any evidence about the efficacy of wearing a mask.

And you also believe Sydney is some authoritarian City-17 hellhole with law enforcement "swarming" over the place because the Daily Mail of all fucking media outlets say so. A quick look out on the veranda kinda shows the Daily Mail is full of fucking shit.

attachment.php

Holy fucking shit! Look at all the Authoritarianism!

And he's so enamoured of this alleged 'truth' that he's posted it twice. Despite being told that it's ridiculous hyperbole.

Yes, we have strict lockdowns in place, and these are being enforced.

No, we don't live in an authoritarian hell hole; We live in a place that generally recognises that strict rules are necessary to mitigate natural disasters, and that understands the necessity of preventing antisocial idiots from harming others by their idiocy.

If you refuse to wear a mask during an outbreak of infectious respiratory disease, you will be fined. Just as if you would be if you refused to obey a fire ban during bushfire season, or refused to obey water restrictions during a drought.

In Australia, we don't have the "freedom" to needlessly and recklessly endanger the lives of others. That's why our fatalities per capita from Covid are one fiftieth of those seen in the USA.

Yeah, just like the zero smallpox crowd and the zero polio crowd.
If there were 30% Traustis around when those scourges were being addressed with vaccines, smallpox and polio would still by ubiquitous.
But hell - no use denying reality. We DO have some 30% who are too stupid or too terminally misinformed to get vaccinated, so we will be dealing with variants indefinitely.
Therefore it is a GOOD thing that vaccinated people can carry a fair sized viral load, remain asymptomatic and spread deadly disease among the stupid and misinformed population.

nm

Back
Top Bottom