• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I guess the feeling of being suffocated isn't a big deal because it's only psychological.
And the fear of my daughter getting an immunization is definitely psychological. Or my anxiety of getting blood drawn is psychological. But we are supposed to rise above that... especially in times of need.

Or... what is it that conservatives like to say "Fuck your feelings"? Funny how feelings matter sometimes with conservatives... so much they were willing to risk health of themselves and others over them. Quite irrational really.

Metaphor

Zarobljenik u hrastu
Banned
I guess the feeling of being suffocated isn't a big deal because it's only psychological.
And the fear of my daughter getting an immunization is definitely psychological. Or my anxiety of getting blood drawn is psychological. But we are supposed to rise above that... especially in times of need.

Or... what is it that conservatives like to say "Fuck your feelings"? Funny how feelings matter sometimes with conservatives... so much they were willing to risk health of themselves and others over them. Quite irrational really.
If Loren were willing to say 'fuck your feelings and tolerate the sensation of suffocation', that would be one thing. But Loren isn't willing to do that. He simply denies that anybody else has any experience that differs from his own. He has no physical discomfort with a mask so nobody else does, either.

Metaphor

Zarobljenik u hrastu
Banned
There are plenty of places that still require masks, including the church that a good friend of mine attends. I guess if people find masks that uncomfortable, they should try to avoid crowds out of respect for others. If we keep a good distance from each other, we are probably safe. That is why I feel safe when I go out for pizza. Nobody is closer than 10 or 15 feet away from us. Plus, we are fully vaccinated and boosted. I wish I could say the same about everyone. That doesn't always prevent disease but it almost always causes the infection to be a mild one, unless one has severe underlying issues which leave them with a very poor immune system.

It's good that these mask phobic people don't work in healthcare because masks have been required in many areas of healthcare forever and when I was working as a nurse, I never heard anyone complain about having to wear a mask. I'm having surgery next month and I can't imagine having surgery without all of those in the OR wearing masks. There is overwhelming evidence that they help prevent the spread of disease, despite what the nay sayers claim. Infection control is a good thing.
This isn't the first time Loren has said masks are not a big deal to wear. He simply refuses to believe that some people do find them a big deal to wear and it isn't his call to make for other people.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.

If Loren were willing to say 'fuck your feelings and tolerate the sensation of suffocation', that would be one thing. But Loren isn't willing to do that. He simply denies that anybody else has any experience that differs from his own. He has no physical discomfort with a mask so nobody else does, either.
This coming from the guy that continually says the equivalent of "Fuck your feelings" to trans people is rich.

Metaphor

Zarobljenik u hrastu
Banned

This coming from the guy that continually says the equivalent of "Fuck your feelings" to trans people is rich.
What am I demanding of trans people?

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.

Nothing.

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Nonpracticing agnostic

I think the focus really ought to be on the rationality and risk to others part. I mean, coughing a disease on someone or in their space is essentially an assault. We don't tell people they can drive on the road at night with their headlights off just because they feel more comfortable in the dark either. Driving drunk is also probably very comfortable in the moment.

Metaphor

Zarobljenik u hrastu
Banned

Nothing.
So, what's the problem?

You appear to be accusing me of....something. I said it would be preferable for Loren to say 'fuck your feelings' but at least acknowledge that it was possible people had different physical experiences to him...and you call it 'rich' that...I'm not a hypocrite?

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.

Nothing.
So, what's the problem?

You appear to be accusing me of....something. I said it would be preferable for Loren to say 'fuck your feelings' but at least acknowledge that it was possible people had different physical experiences to him...and you call it 'rich' that...I'm not a hypocrite?
They are asking that people refer to them in their gender identity. You refuse to do so. So, "Fuck your feelings" is your response to them.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
Ron DeSantis sets up a Public Health “Integrity” Board with a bunch of cranks!

Metaphor

Zarobljenik u hrastu
Banned

Nothing.
So, what's the problem?

They are asking that people refer to them in their gender identity. You refuse to do so. So, "Fuck your feelings" is your response to them.
I do not refer to anybody, trans or otherwise, by their 'gender identity', any more than I refer to anybody by their star sign.

Nor do pronouns, in English, depend on the stated 'gender identity' of the target.

But, thank you for confirming. I said it would be better for Loren to say 'fuck your feelings', instead of denying the experiences of others. I'm sorry it upsets you that I'm not a hypocrite, by your own standards.

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism

The Florida duchebag is at it again.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Tuesday asked his state’s Supreme Court to green-light an investigation of “any and all wrongdoing in Florida with respect to Covid-19 vaccines,” his latest move to cast doubt on the vaccines’ effectiveness and amplify fears about side effects.

In the petition filed with the Florida Supreme Court, the Republican governor requests the empaneling of a grand jury to investigate a broad group of entities associated with the development, distribution and promotion of the vaccines, including pharmaceutical manufacturers and their executive officers, as well as medical associations.

DeSantis also said Tuesday he was launching a public health integrity committee – a panel that would counter the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which DeSantis said “is not serving a useful function; it’s really serving to advance narratives rather than do evidence-based medicine.” The panel would assess guidance and actions from federal agencies, such as the National Institutes of Health, US Food and Drug Administration and the CDC.

The announcements Tuesday came at a roundtable focused on vaccines that DeSantis led. The Florida governor’s surgeon general, Dr. Joseph Ladapo, during the roundtable pointed to examples of the vaccine causing myocarditis, inflammation of the heart, and said pharmaceutical companies need to provide more data to independent researchers so they can further study the side effects from vaccines.

“We will answer this question. It is a question that I am sure keeps the CEOs of Pfizer and Moderna up late at night, hoping no one ever looks. But we’re going to look here in Florida,” Ladapo said during the roundtable.

Cases of myocarditis and pericarditis, inflammation of the heart and heart lining, are rare after mRNA vaccines, although they are more likely to occur among young men. The risk of heart inflammation is far greater from Covid-19 than from vaccination.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
You were told they were suffocating, you believed it.

Also, cloth and surgical masks can be considerably worse than actual respirators because they aren't held away from your face.

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Tuesday asked his state’s Supreme Court to green-light an investigation of “any and all wrongdoing in Florida with respect to Covid-19 vaccines,” his latest move to cast doubt on the vaccines’ effectiveness and amplify fears about side effects.

In the petition filed with the Florida Supreme Court, the Republican governor requests the empaneling of a grand jury to investigate a broad group of entities associated with the development, distribution and promotion of the vaccines, including pharmaceutical manufacturers and their executive officers, as well as medical associations.

DeSantis also said Tuesday he was launching a public health integrity committee – a panel that would counter the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which DeSantis said “is not serving a useful function; it’s really serving to advance narratives rather than do evidence-based medicine.” The panel would assess guidance and actions from federal agencies, such as the National Institutes of Health, US Food and Drug Administration and the CDC.

The announcements Tuesday came at a roundtable focused on vaccines that DeSantis led. The Florida governor’s surgeon general, Dr. Joseph Ladapo, during the roundtable pointed to examples of the vaccine causing myocarditis, inflammation of the heart, and said pharmaceutical companies need to provide more data to independent researchers so they can further study the side effects from vaccines.

“We will answer this question. It is a question that I am sure keeps the CEOs of Pfizer and Moderna up late at night, hoping no one ever looks. But we’re going to look here in Florida,” Ladapo said during the roundtable.

Cases of myocarditis and pericarditis, inflammation of the heart and heart lining, are rare after mRNA vaccines, although they are more likely to occur among young men. The risk of heart inflammation is far greater from Covid-19 than from vaccination.
Meanwhile, a new study estimates that the Covid vaccines have saved 3 million lives in the US and about $1.15 Trillion in medical costs.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.

Nothing.
So, what's the problem?

I do not refer to anybody, trans or otherwise, by their 'gender identity', any more than I refer to anybody by their star sign.

Nor do pronouns, in English, depend on the stated 'gender identity' of the target.

But, thank you for confirming. I said it would be better for Loren to say 'fuck your feelings', instead of denying the experiences of others. I'm sorry it upsets you that I'm not a hypocrite, by your own standards.
I disagree. I think it very much makes you a hypocrite.

Metaphor

Zarobljenik u hrastu
Banned

Nothing.
So, what's the problem?

I think you don't know what 'hypocrite' means.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.

Nothing.
So, what's the problem?

I could say the same of you.

Metaphor

Zarobljenik u hrastu
Banned

Nothing.
So, what's the problem?

I could say the same of you.
Well yes, but the difference is, you'd be wrong.

Ruth Harris

Token Christian,retired bad-ass level tech support
Basic Beliefs
Christian
You know, after reading these last few posts I decided to start showing my personal pronouns in my bio information on my personal accounts as a small bit of solidarity for others.

I don't ever want to be that person who has no empathy for those who are having a rough time due to their personal perceptions of themselves. I may not always succeed but I will sure try to address people in their preferred manner. This causes no harm other than a little issue with grammatical correctness so why shouldn't everyone do it?

For the record, if I have not addressed anyone correctly in the past please accept my apologies and let me know so I can try to do better in the future.

Ruth

scombrid

Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Look at governor Stalin and Surgeon General Lysenko giving us true science.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
The problem is, this is rev'ing up the war against vaccinations in general. The alt-right has gotten so bitterly partisan, that they are attacking vaccines now. It'll spread shortly to the general vaccines we have now, and they'll say people should be able to choose whether they make people who can't get vaccinated sick of preventable diseases.

The GOP is telling their neglected flock of whom they haven't passed any legislation to support, that instead of worrying about how they continually neglect them, they should rally against teachers, immigrants, wind power, and now vaccines, because that is the real problem. Not the hundreds of thousands of jobs they let leave the nation for Asia. Or the tax policies that undermine the ability of the government that can support the development of a modern economic system that'll ensure they can work and have health care.

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist

If one claims to have discomfort from a mere mask, they will really hate being intubated because they refused to wear their mask.

Worldtraveller

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

If one claims to have discomfort from a mere mask, they will really hate being intubated because they refused to wear their mask.
Yep. Ive pointed out many times how similar anti-mask whines to anti-seatbelt whines from back in the early 70s.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist

If Loren were willing to say 'fuck your feelings and tolerate the sensation of suffocation', that would be one thing.
Well, that would first require someone to actually suffer from that sensation that they are suffocating. Which isn't very likely because wearing the mask doesn't stop molecular oxygen from going through it. Secondly, if in the rare case someone was suffering from that sensation, they are almost certainly at high risk from suffering greatly if they got Covid-19.
But Loren isn't willing to do that. He simply denies that anybody else has any experience that differs from his own. He has no physical discomfort with a mask so nobody else does, either.
Well, for the most part, most people don't feel suffocation while wearing a mask because... well... science.

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
Intubated patient: "Mmphh, Mmphhh!"
First nurse: "What is he trying to say?"
Second nurse: "Invermectin! Invermectin!"
Maybe saying, don't give me serotonin raising fentanyl to intubate, but give me some serotonin antagonist cyproheptadine.

In this 1hr video Farid Jalali, MD, Philippe Rola, MD and I go over platelet hyperactivation, serotonin excess, and what this means clinically.

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
Well, that would first require someone to actually suffer from that sensation that they are suffocating.
No, as a matter of fact it doesn't.

I hated wearing masks, they did give me the feeling of being short of breath. Possibly related to 40+ years of smoking, but they did.

I still wore them when appropriate. I have elderly relatives I was anxious about contracting the virus. I wanted to help keep everyone healthy as best I could with the low tech methods available, even if they're not perfect.

But I did find masking hateful and took them off the second I was out of a danger zone.
Tom

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
I hated wearing masks, they did give me the feeling of being short of breath. Possibly related to 40+ years of smoking, but they did.
I have COPD and and I have trouble breathing in the N95s. Most other masks aren't an issue for me.

Metaphor

Zarobljenik u hrastu
Banned

One does not get intubated merely because one refused to wear a mask, unless it is being done by the State as cruel and unusual punishment.

Of hospital inpatients with COVID-19, around 2.5% are ventilated or intubated (latest data). The vast majority of people who get COVID-19 are not hospitalised, let alone ventilated.

I'm sorry, however, that you evidently have little sympathy for the physical discomfort of others.

Metaphor

Zarobljenik u hrastu
Banned
Well, that would first require someone to actually suffer from that sensation that they are suffocating.

I still wore them when appropriate. I have elderly relatives I was anxious about contracting the virus. I wanted to help keep everyone healthy as best I could with the low tech methods available, even if they're not perfect.

But I did find masking hateful and took them off the second I was out of a danger zone.
Tom
My mother was hospitalised this year (unrelated to COVID) and was required to wear a mask while in the emergency ward.

She had a sense of suffocation from the mask and removed it whenever allowed by the rules. But Loren has told me she experienced that because she was told to find it suffocating by the radio, and of course she complied.

Metaphor

Zarobljenik u hrastu
Banned

If Loren were willing to say 'fuck your feelings and tolerate the sensation of suffocation', that would be one thing.
What?

When people are waterboarded, they don't actually drown. They just have the sensation of drowning. Can you not suffer from sensations? You know pain is a sensation, right?

Which isn't very likely because wearing the mask doesn't stop molecular oxygen from going through it. Secondly, if in the rare case someone was suffering from that sensation, they are almost certainly at high risk from suffering greatly if they got Covid-19.
But Loren isn't willing to do that. He simply denies that anybody else has any experience that differs from his own. He has no physical discomfort with a mask so nobody else does, either.
Well, for the most part, most people don't feel suffocation while wearing a mask because... well... science.
So, anyone who claims to have a sense of suffocation is lying? Because "science"?

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist

Tom
My mother was hospitalised this year (unrelated to COVID) and was required to wear a mask while in the emergency ward.

She had a sense of suffocation from the mask and removed it whenever allowed by the rules. But Loren has told me she experienced that because she was told to find it suffocating by the radio, and of course she complied.

I'm confident that Loren didn't say that.
Tom

Metaphor

Zarobljenik u hrastu
Banned

Tom

I'm confident that Loren didn't say that.
Tom
Of course he didn't say that about my mother. I was referring to Loren's inhumane and condescending dismissal of my own sensations when wearing a mask, which he puts down to listening and obeying anti-mask pundits.

Loren wrote:
You were told they [masks] were suffocating, you believed it.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Meanwhile, a new study estimates that the Covid vaccines have saved 3 million lives in the US and about $1.15 Trillion in medical costs.

Think of all that lost profit!

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I have COPD and and I have trouble breathing in the N95s. Most other masks aren't an issue for me.
I find the respirators better than cloth/surgical because they stay off the face, you have more filter to breathe through.

If N95s are too much, try R95. Same filtration, more expensive, more breathable. Less vulnerable to degradation by skin oil.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The number of people being ventilated or intubated because of COVID-19 will continue to decline in the future, especially with the new antivirals.
You realize we are losing more Covid drugs than we are gaining? And the number isn't declining--Covid is holding pretty much steady at the #3 killer in the country.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.

For the funeral industry?

Metaphor

Zarobljenik u hrastu
Banned
The number of people being ventilated or intubated because of COVID-19 will continue to decline in the future, especially with the new antivirals.
You realize we are losing more Covid drugs than we are gaining? And the number isn't declining--Covid is holding pretty much steady at the #3 killer in the country.
The number of people being intubated or ventilated because of COVID-19 is declining, exactly as I stated.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist

What?

When people are waterboarded, they don't actually drown. They just have the sensation of drowning. Can you not suffer from sensations? You know pain is a sensation, right?
You don't have much to go on, so you need to step into torture territory when speaking about wearing masks to deal with a pandemic?
Which isn't very likely because wearing the mask doesn't stop molecular oxygen from going through it. Secondly, if in the rare case someone was suffering from that sensation, they are almost certainly at high risk from suffering greatly if they got Covid-19.
So, anyone who claims to have a sense of suffocation is lying? Because "science"?
You need to look up the word "most".

Though I think it is adorable you give a damn because of a personal anecdote.

Metaphor

Zarobljenik u hrastu
Banned

What?

You don't have much to go on, so you need to step into torture territory when speaking about wearing masks to deal with a pandemic?
I have my own sensation of suffocation to "go on", which ought be enough, except for Loren.

And you'll notice I never said "don't ever mandate masks in any situation", I said "don't deny my own experiences because it doesn't fit with your narrative".

Why is it so difficult for people to accept that some people have uncomfortable, even distressing experiences, with masks?

You need to look up the word "most".
You made a claim. You made a claim that "most" people don't feel a sense of suffocation while wearing a mask. You evidenced this claim by uttering the word "science", as if that utterance were any kind of evidence at all.

Though I think it is adorable you give a damn because of a personal anecdote.
I don't understand your sentence, but I 'give a damn' about what happens to and the sensations of my own body, yes. It's the only one I've got.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

For the funeral industry?
Doctors, also.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
You made a claim. You made a claim that "most" people don't feel a sense of suffocation while wearing a mask. You evidenced this claim by uttering the word "science", as if that utterance were any kind of evidence at all.
The thing is the reports of feeling suffocated come far more from those on the right than on the left. I don't think the biology differs like that.

Metaphor

Zarobljenik u hrastu
Banned
The thing is the reports of feeling suffocated come far more from those on the right than on the left. I don't think the biology differs like that.
Loren, I was banned the last time I argued about this with you, so I'm stepping away from your dehumanising and degrading comments.

Top Bottom