• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Hospital staff must swear off Tylenol, Tums to get religious vaccine exemption
Hospital CEO aims to educate staff on the full scope of what they're claiming.

A hospital system in Arkansas is making it a bit more difficult for staff to receive a religious exemption from its COVID-19 vaccine mandate. The hospital is now requiring staff to also swear off extremely common medicines, such as Tylenol, Tums, and even Preparation H, to get the exemption.

The move was prompted when Conway Regional Health System noted an unusual uptick in vaccine exemption requests that cited the use of fetal cell lines in the development and testing of the vaccines.

"This was significantly disproportionate to what we've seen with the influenza vaccine," Matt Troup, president and CEO of Conway Regional Health System, told Becker's Hospital Review in an interview Wednesday.

"Thus," Troup went on, "we provided a religious attestation form for those individuals requesting a religious exemption," he said. The form includes a list of 30 commonly used medicines that "fall into the same category as the COVID-19 vaccine in their use of fetal cell lines," Conway Regional said.

The list includes Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, aspirin, Tums, Lipitor, Senokot, Motrin, ibuprofen, Maalox, Ex-Lax, Benadryl, Sudafed, albuterol, Preparation H, MMR vaccine, Claritin, Zoloft, Prilosec OTC, and azithromycin.

Conway Regional notes that the list includes commonly used and available drugs but that it is not an all-inclusive list of such medicines.

?????? Good on the person who thought this up. Of course the antivaxers will break their promises but maybe one or two will turn their brains on.

It's real according to Fox News. It looks photoshopped around mask when zooming in. There's a hint of collar on neck where leash is going. Fox News says it's real. There are photos.

Cats are wearing coronavirus masks in China

Here's a related study:
The severe acute respiratory syndrome–coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) pandemic may have originated in bats, but how it made its way into humans is unknown. Because of its zoonotic origins, SARS-CoV-2 is unlikely to exclusively infect humans, so it would be valuable to have an animal model for drug and vaccine development. Shi et al. tested ferrets, as well as livestock and companion animals of humans, for their susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2 (see the Perspective by Lakdawala and Menachery). The authors found that SARS-CoV-2 infects the upper respiratory tracts of ferrets but is poorly transmissible between individuals. In cats, the virus replicated in the nose and throat and caused inflammatory pathology deeper in the respiratory tract, and airborne transmission did occur between pairs of cats. Dogs appeared not to support viral replication well and had low susceptibility to the virus, and pigs, chickens, and ducks were not susceptible to SARS-CoV-2.
https://www.science.org/doi/full/10.1126/science.abb7015

Big cats can get it so presumably small cats can also.

I still question the mask bit. I have never seen a cat on a leash in China.

At least some of those other photos look much more possible, although I still think a cat would remove them promptly.

I think it's also important to point out that China doesn't have the problems with simple measures like masks we do here. Especially in winter 2020, Chinese people were being extremely cautious because it's the sensible thing to do. (Notice you don't hear reports of massive hospital overload from China).
But also, that long ago, C19 was still very poorly understood. It had clearly jumped the species barrier at least once. Nobody had done much research on it's ability to infect cats.
Tom

There was a massive hospital overload in Wuhan. Since then, though, China has been responding with an elephant stomp to even single cases, they were successfully stomping on it every time it crossed the border until Delta came along. Last I knew they were at several hundred cases from one incident and last I heard they haven't contained it yet.

Usually the response came down to a Wuhan-style lockdown in a very small area, against the other versions that was enough. This time it hasn't, they have areas where you have to show a negative test to leave, but they haven't locked down cities yet.

I think it's also important to point out that China doesn't have the problems with simple measures like masks we do here. Especially in winter 2020, Chinese people were being extremely cautious because it's the sensible thing to do. (Notice you don't hear reports of massive hospital overload from China).
But also, that long ago, C19 was still very poorly understood. It had clearly jumped the species barrier at least once. Nobody had done much research on it's ability to infect cats.
Tom

The city dwelling people in China have experienced the worst air pollution in the world for decades... Look at imagest from the 80's and you will see what you see today.. EVERYBODY wearing masks regularly for decades. It's not an unusual thing.. When told to wear a mask, they are like, "duh, of course I wear a mask... I always wear a mask when I go out"...
Try to tell China they CAN'T go out with their cell phones anymore for their health... see how unitied they are then.

Telling the Chinese to wear a mask when they go out is like telling an American they have to bring their cell phone with them when they go out... um, ok, just try to get me NOT to.

Disagree--while routine mask wearing isn't uncommon it certainly isn't everybody.

Last time I was in China was October, 2019 just before Covid. I was in Xhuhai across from Hong Kong. I don't recall seeing anyone with a mask.

In Japan you frequently see people wearing masks, especially in the subways. I'm told that when a person has a cold they wear a mask. I'm sure the Japanese are wearing masks all the time now. It's just what you do to control disease. No brainer.

Man punched nurse after he said wife received COVID-19 vaccine without his permission, police said

SHERBROOKE, Quebec — Police officers in Quebec are searching for a man they said punched a nurse after the medical worker gave his wife a COVID-19 vaccine that he did not consent to.

A police spokesperson said the man confronted the female nurse at a pharmacy in Sherbrooke where she was assigned to dispense vaccines, Reuters reported.

“Our suspect went directly into the office and began to yell at the nurse,” spokesperson Martin Carrier told Reuters.

Carrier said the man was upset that his wife got the shot “without his authorization” and hit the nurse in the face, Reuters reported.

“He punched her right in the face multiple times so the nurse didn’t have the time to defend or explain herself ... and she fell to the ground and the suspect left running out of the drugstore,” Carrier told CNN.

Asshole...

Anti-Vaccine Cartoonist Ben Garrison Says He's Got Covid-19, Won't Go to Hospital
The pro-Trump cartoonist says he's lost about 15 pounds and is taking ivermectin.

a88f6ec68b64764589608f3ab6b08bbf.jpg

“We’re taking Ivermectin and various vitamins including a lot of Zinc,” Garrison continued, explaining what he’s doing to treat the disease. The cartoonist also notes he’s taking beet root juice. None of this has been proven to treat or prevent covid-19, with monoclonal antibodies and vaccines being the only real ways to fight this pandemic, which is still raging in many parts of the world.

dumbass.gif

Yes, because ivermectin is not produced by pharmaceutical corporations. It just appears as mana from heaven in the fields of True Believers. And no one is making money on it at all. :rolleyes:

I have some elephant repellent I’d like to sell him. I use it every day and I haven’t seen a single elephant in years!

Secular Talk🎙 on Twitter: "wow" / Twitter
noting
Ryan Grim on Twitter: "Holy shit (pix link)" / Twitter
and
Ryan Grim on Twitter: "Just get the jab, and then own the libs by voting for trump. Doesn't that seem like a sounder plan? Chart is from here (link)" / Twitter
noting
Red Covid - The New York Times
During the early months of Covid-19 vaccinations, several major demographic groups lagged in receiving shots, including Black Americans, Latino Americans and Republican voters.

More recently, the racial gaps — while still existing — have narrowed. The partisan gap, however, continues to be enormous. A Pew Research Center poll last month found that 86 percent of Democratic voters had received at least one shot, compared with 60 percent of Republican voters.
There is a close correlation between vaccination rates and partisan voting, from around 70% for the most pro-Biden to around 40% for the most pro-Trump.

For death rates, pro-Democratic states range from 0.2 to 0.5 per 100,000 people, and pro-Republican ones from 0.2 to 1.8.

Similar trends are evident for counties.
It’s worth remembering that Covid followed a different pattern for more than a year after its arrival in the U.S. Despite widespread differences in mask wearing — and scientific research suggesting that masks reduce the virus’s spread — the pandemic was if anything worse in blue regions. Masks evidently were not powerful enough to overcome other regional differences, like the amount of international travel that flows through major metro areas, which tend to be politically liberal.

Vaccination has changed the situation. The vaccines are powerful enough to overwhelm other differences between blue and red areas.

Since Delta began circulating widely in the U.S., Covid has exacted a horrific death toll on red America: In counties where Donald Trump received at least 70 percent of the vote, the virus has killed about 47 out of every 100,000 people since the end of June, according to Charles Gaba, a health care analyst. In counties where Trump won less than 32 percent of the vote, the number is about 10 out of 100,000.
The gap looks like it will continue to grow.

Is conservatism the cause? Libertarianism? The rest of the world does not have nearly as large a left-right split on COVID-19 response.
What distinguishes the U.S. is a conservative party — the Republican Party — that has grown hostile to science and empirical evidence in recent decades. A conservative media complex, including Fox News, Sinclair Broadcast Group and various online outlets, echoes and amplifies this hostility. Trump took the conspiratorial thinking to a new level, but he did not create it.

“With very little resistance from party leaders,” my colleague Lisa Lerer wrote this summer, many Republicans “have elevated falsehoods and doubts about vaccinations from the fringes of American life to the center of our political conversation.”

‘Owning the left’

With the death count rising, at least a few Republicans appear to be worried about what their party and its allies have sown.
John Nolte: Howard Stern Proves Democrats Want Unvaccinated Trump Voters Dead
Do you want to know why I think Howard Stern is going full-monster with his mockery of three fellow human beings who died of the coronavirus? Because leftists like Stern and CNNLOL and Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi and Anthony Fauci are deliberately looking to manipulate Trump supporters into not getting vaccinated.

Nothing else makes sense to me.

In a country where elections are decided on razor-thin margins, does it not benefit one side if their opponents simply drop dead?
What conspiracy-mongering. Does everything have to be a conspiracy?

Secular Talk������ on Twitter: "wow" / Twitter
noting
Ryan Grim on Twitter: "Holy shit (pix link)" / Twitter
and
Ryan Grim on Twitter: "Just get the jab, and then own the libs by voting for trump. Doesn't that seem like a sounder plan? Chart is from here (link)" / Twitter
noting
Red Covid - The New York Times
During the early months of Covid-19 vaccinations, several major demographic groups lagged in receiving shots, including Black Americans, Latino Americans and Republican voters.

More recently, the racial gaps — while still existing — have narrowed. The partisan gap, however, continues to be enormous. A Pew Research Center poll last month found that 86 percent of Democratic voters had received at least one shot, compared with 60 percent of Republican voters.
There is a close correlation between vaccination rates and partisan voting, from around 70% for the most pro-Biden to around 40% for the most pro-Trump.

For death rates, pro-Democratic states range from 0.2 to 0.5 per 100,000 people, and pro-Republican ones from 0.2 to 1.8.

Similar trends are evident for counties.
It’s worth remembering that Covid followed a different pattern for more than a year after its arrival in the U.S. Despite widespread differences in mask wearing — and scientific research suggesting that masks reduce the virus’s spread — the pandemic was if anything worse in blue regions. Masks evidently were not powerful enough to overcome other regional differences, like the amount of international travel that flows through major metro areas, which tend to be politically liberal.

Vaccination has changed the situation. The vaccines are powerful enough to overwhelm other differences between blue and red areas.

Since Delta began circulating widely in the U.S., Covid has exacted a horrific death toll on red America: In counties where Donald Trump received at least 70 percent of the vote, the virus has killed about 47 out of every 100,000 people since the end of June, according to Charles Gaba, a health care analyst. In counties where Trump won less than 32 percent of the vote, the number is about 10 out of 100,000.
The gap looks like it will continue to grow.

Those death rates per 100,000 look wildly wrong. For Florida, I get 248 deaths per 100,000 using the NYT figure of 53,580 deaths for a population of 21.6 million. That's rather more than 1.8

Are those death rates per 100,000 per day (or per week; or per month)?

Those death rates per 100,000 look wildly wrong. For Florida, I get 248 deaths per 100,000 using the NYT figure of 53,580 deaths for a population of 21.6 million. That's rather more than 1.8

Are those death rates per 100,000 per day (or per week; or per month)?
As far as I could tell, those death rates were over two weeks: "14-day average".

A week ago in the US: COVID Has Killed More Americans Than the Spanish Flu Did in 1918 | Health News | US News
There was one important caveat to the latest milestone: The U.S. population was one-third of the size it is today, so the 675,000 who died were a much bigger portion of the population, the AP reported.

By Tuesday, the number of COVID-19 deaths in the United States had passed 676,000, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

About 1,900 Americans are now dying in the United States every day, on average — the highest level since last March. A simulation model designed by researchers at the University of Washington predicts an additional 100,000 Americans will die of COVID-19 by Jan. 1, 2022, which would bring the total death toll to 776,000, the AP reported.

The State Police Association of Massachusetts (SPAM ya really) lose in court their attempt to not have to get vaccinated per the Governor's mandate that executive branch employees in state government get vaccinated or get fired.

Judge
“The public interest is, unquestionably, best-served by stopping the spread of the virus, in order to protect people from becoming ill, ensure adequate supply of medical services, and curtail the emergence of new, deadlier variants of the virus,” the judge wrote, noting the evidence showing that unvaccinated individuals are more likely to spread and face complications from COVID-19.

“Suspending the deadline for Union members to obtain full vaccination would be against the public interest which the defendants are charged with protecting,” Cowen wrote, “and cause more harm to the Commonwealth than is caused to the Union by the denial of such relief.”

https://www.boston.com/news/coronav...wsuit-rejected/?p1=article_recirc_inline_feed

https://www.boston.com/news/coronav...ate-mass-state-police-officers/?p1=hp_primary

The State Police are probably the most hated and corrupt public employees by far. SPAM is all about lining their own pockets. Pretty much all they do is hand out speeding tickets on the highways, direct traffic at Logan airport, etc, and make $200,000 to $300,000 dollars a year.

I see stories like "Preliminary research finds that even mild cases of COVID-19 leave a mark on the brain – but it’s not yet clear how long it lasts."

My question: Is it possible that other common illnesses, e.g. influenza, may similarly have adverse long-term effects, but this has passed unnoticed because research is much more efficacious now than in past decades?

I see stories like "Preliminary research finds that even mild cases of COVID-19 leave a mark on the brain – but it’s not yet clear how long it lasts."

My question: Is it possible that other common illnesses, e.g. influenza, may similarly have adverse long-term effects, but this has passed unnoticed because research is much more efficacious now than in past decades?

I don't think it means anything. There's all kinds of artifacts left over in our biology after traumas that may or may not be related to any long term effect.

Sounds like somebody taking medical data and using it to create fake news

So hospitals and what not are prepping for a minor scale exodus of workers who refuse to get this vaccination, despite all the other vaccinations they needed to do the job at this point. Hospitals aren't exactly designed to work with any level of drop in staff. I find it odd that medical professionals could act like this, but it seems I had a misimpression of medical staff as a broad-brushed group. After all, doctors helped create the opioid crisis. The unvax'd are now impacting the vax'd by helping them get the disease now, some getting decently sick. Not many needing hospitalization, but that doesn't mean they aren't getting sick. So much freedom for the unvax'd, limited freedom for the rest.

I don't think it means anything. There's all kinds of artifacts left over in our biology after traumas that may or may not be related to any long term effect.

Sounds like somebody taking medical data and using it to create fake news
This unreferenced post is brought to you by The Gut. When you really think it, but can't demonstrate it, go with The Gut.

Back
Top Bottom