• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

However, for the life of me, can't understand why some have such little regard for others, that they refuse to wear a mask. Such a small tiny sacrifice.

I’ve explained why to you numerous times, it just doesn’t get through I guess. And judging by your repeated posts stating the same lack of understanding it appears you never will.

FAtbN4QXIAMryx1

The caricature on the right is so wildly wrong it's pretty much a lie. For example, it's not about Obeying the Establishment. It's about doing what medical science clearly shows is the responsible thing to do to avoid injuring or killing others. What ever happened to Republican's alleged embrace of personal responsibility? Gone it appears. Republicans now embrace being as irresponsible as possible. You see it on vaccines, masks, guns, debt ceilings, voting issues, racism and a whole basked of other examples where being irresponsible as possible is seen as a virtue.

Yeah, it's a shit "argument". Doing the exact opposite of what people tell you to do isn't freedom, any more than doing exactly what they say without question is freedom.

Freedom entails the ability to recognise which parts of the establishment's demands are appropriate, and to take that advice while rejecting the inappropriate demands.

It's the exact same argument that concludes that vegetarians are nazis, because Hitler supported vegetarianism.

If the government insists that people must breathe oxygen, holding your breath isn't standing up for your freedom and rights, it's just petulant and self-harming stupidity.

People aren't getting vaccinated because the government is telling them to; The government is telling them to because it's necessary for the general welfare, and because so many are too fucking stupid to do it without being told.

It's directly analogous to people not driving while drunk - most people choose freely to do the right thing. For everyone else, there's "tyranny". Because DUI isn't a freedom worth defending.

Exactly... just like the Boeing 737-Max. The changes weren't that significant. What is the danger? That is the question that has led to lots of suffering. Remember Flint, MI? The water was too corrosive. But was it safe to drink, except that wasn't the only issue. What is the danger?
Well, I'm not an expert on the 737-max, but afaik, there was a significant change in the way the plane was programmed to react.
Funny, I don't recall you complaining about that before the crashes.

First, before the crashes, I had not even heard about the 737-max, let alone what the changes were or what could be expected. Well, before the first one anyway.

Second, since I did not take part in a thread or any other conversation about it, I didn't complain after them, either. I'm talking about covid vaccines, not airplanes.

Meanwhile Covid-19 is ravaging Tennesee. Helped by Governor Bill Lee's refusal to institute vaccination and mask mandates. His solution? Another day of prayer and fasting. We are becoming a nation of morons.

I wear a seatbelt even when I’m not in a car. Science.

What the actual fuck is wrong with you?

Does it really make you happy to say dumb shit on the Internet so that you can laugh at people reacting to your dumb shit?

Ha fucking ha. "That idiot thought I really was a total moron with zero clue! What a hoot! I sure pwned him!!"

Congratulations. :rolleyes:

Did not know drowning was contagious.

Why that guy is not banned? In fact, I would have gone through comments and banned some of these people too.

However, for the life of me, can't understand why some have such little regard for others, that they refuse to wear a mask. Such a small tiny sacrifice.

I’ve explained why to you numerous times, it just doesn’t get through I guess. And judging by your repeated posts stating the same lack of understanding it appears you never will.

You explained it once HERE.

I honestly don't understand the resistance to doing something so easy. No one is taking your rights away. You are just being asked to be a responsible citizen. WTF!

Because, as has been pointed out, there is no clear empirical evidence that wearing a face mask provides adequate protection. It is unnatural and uncomfortable to wear a face mask and people just don't want to wear them. Nobody is stopping you wearing a face mask. So if people can mind their own business about that, why don't you give them the same courtesy and mind your own business ? Or just stay home.

In that August 2020 thread you were lauding the Netherlands for declining to implement face mask mandates. But what happened in December of 2020? You guessed it. Netherlands implemented a face mask mandate. But, gee whiz, why would they do that if there is no empirical evidence that wearing face masks actually provide protection? I dunno, it sure sounds fishy though.

It is a very sad thing that you don't ever seem to learn new things. The Dutch can. Why can't you?

What's that bullshit about lack of empirical evidence of protection provided by masks?
Masks have been used for probably 200 years and nobody really complained or provided evidence of lack of protection.
You can't demand evidence now, too fucking late for that. You need to provide YOUR evidence for the lack of protection.

Masks clearly work, the fact that some work more and some less is irrelevant here. Just wear mask which work well.

What's that bullshit about lack of empirical evidence of protection provided by masks?
Masks have been used for probably 200 years and nobody really complained or provided evidence of lack of protection.
You can't demand evidence now, too fucking late for that. You need to provide YOUR evidence for the lack of protection.

Masks clearly work, the fact that some work more and some less is irrelevant here. Just wear mask which work well.

Actually only 124 years. Johann Mikulicz, head of the surgery department of the University of Breslau (now Wroclaw), in Poland, started working with bacteriologist Carl Flügge on the problem of preventing infections in surgical patients, and was the first surgeon to adopt a gauze mask in 1897.

That was the first recorded use of a mask intended to block microbial transmission; Prior to that, 'masks' were used to provide sweet and pleasant fragraces to prevent diseases caused by 'miasma', as exemplified by the beak shaped plague masks of the middle ages, which were packed with spices, flowers, and other substances intended to cover up the bad smells.

Anti-microbial masks were very successful, and by the 1920s were ubiquitous in surgical settings in the developed world, with a corresponding reduction in post surgical infections - a critical result in the pre-antibiotic era.

Well, kind of answered in your statement. It is a heap of pure uncut bullshit. Bulls need to be fed a very special diet to ensure such high quality bullshit that is 'masks don't work'. America has been getting poisoned with this lunacy online, on the radio, and on cable news. They suffer from such partisan bitterness, that they'll down spoonfuls of this high-grade BS to help prevent Covid-19. And almost to the point of it being literal.

These idiots actually have managed to convince themselves that the virus isn't a threat and they'll take an anti-parasitic or medication for Lupis (and don't forget Vitamin C, D and whatever else they are taking and excreting right back out) to protect themselves from a disease that isn't a threat. We literally can't put any sense to these people. They are actually taking the advice of people that got vaccinated telling them that vaccines are dangerous or the pandemic is an exaggeration.

The real funny part is how some insist on taking supplements of Vitamin B or C or D or whatever the fuck... Let that seep in... supplements. They don't say to eat foods rich in these things, but to take the pharmaceutical pills to avoid taking a pharmaceutical vaccine. These people are idiots.

The difference from the 1300s is that modern day plague rats can talk. Imagine if. in the 1300s, rats could sit up and lecture people on the evil of cats. "You know, these cats are a menace to our freedom, and they carry fleas., which are the main vector... "

Actually only 124 years. Johann Mikulicz, head of the surgery department of the University of Breslau (now Wroclaw), in Poland, started working with bacteriologist Carl Flügge on the problem of preventing infections in surgical patients, and was the first surgeon to adopt a gauze mask in 1897.

That was the first recorded use of a mask intended to block microbial transmission; Prior to that, 'masks' were used to provide sweet and pleasant fragraces to prevent diseases caused by 'miasma', as exemplified by the beak shaped plague masks of the middle ages, which were packed with spices, flowers, and other substances intended to cover up the bad smells.

Anti-microbial masks were very successful, and by the 1920s were ubiquitous in surgical settings in the developed world, with a corresponding reduction in post surgical infections - a critical result in the pre-antibiotic era.

Sure but I tend to give much greater credit to Joseph Lister. Mikulicz did introduce masks and surgical gloves but Lister developed antiseptic technique.

Again, my mouse is not working properly and I don't have time to replace it now but here's this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3468637/

Sure but I tend to give much greater credit to Joseph Lister. Mikulicz did introduce masks and surgical gloves but Lister developed antiseptic technique.

Again, my mouse is not working properly and I don't have time to replace it now but here's this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3468637/

For sure, Mikulicz and Flügge were building on Lister's work. They wanted to find ways of providing an antiseptic environment with less use of disinfectant chemicals, by using barriers to prevent microbes from re-entering operating rooms once they had been sterilised. Even as late as the early 1900, there were many surgeons who refused to accept Pasteur's microbial theory, and subscribed instead to the miasmatic hypothesis, so their work in building upon Lister's innovations was life-saving stuff.

Infection control was a team effort that took almost a century to become routine. Lister started the ball rolling, but he couldn't change the world single handedly.

Delta appears to be faster at developing symptoms. What if we all implemented total shutdown for a week with N95 if you had to (emergency services and such). One week, with very small transmission while all infected get detected and then shoot isolated.

Delta appears to be faster at developing symptoms. What if we all implemented total shutdown for a week with N95 if you had to (emergency services and such). One week, with very small transmission while all infected get detected and then shoot isolated.
We tried that already... and then a bunch of people got whiny. Then we developed a vaccine. But a bunch of people ranted on about wanting to be pure bloods, while taking dewormer.

Back
Top Bottom