• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

That is fine for you but there is no need to scold and harangue people who don't. Stay in your lane.
The irony here in "stay in your lane" is that those not wearing masks or getting vaccinated are the ones swerving into other people's lanes... all the while honking their horn and cursing at the others to get out of their way.

exact.a.fucking.mundo!

Joe Rogan discourages the covid vaccine for the young;

Joe Rogan, the buff broadcasting behemoth who commands a loyal following among his millions of fans, told listeners of his Spotify podcast there's no need to get vaccinated if they're fit and healthy. His comments go against guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that say vaccinations are safe for everyone over 16, and are necessary for the country to reach herd immunity and safely open up. Speaking on a newly-released episode of The Joe Rogan Experience, Rogan, 53, said he recommended 'vulnerable' people get the shot, adding his parents had received their vaccines. 'People say, Do you think it's safe to get vaccinated? I've said, yeah, I think for the most part it's safe to get vaccinated. I do. I do. But if you're like 21 years old, and you say to me, Should I get vaccinated? I'll go no, If you're a healthy person, and you're exercising all the time, and you're young, and you're eating well, like, I don't think you need to worry about this.'

DailyMail

I have only heard Rogan a few times when he was an occasional guest on the KROQ Kevin and Bean show and he came across as a bit of a conspiracy nut.

How is it a significant inconvenience to wear a mask outside?

Not only is it inconvenient it's unnecessary as most sensible people know.

Again,
It's about using judgement. I run the dog through the woods regularly. I don't wear a mask. I'm sitting in the yard right now. The only person within 100' is my vaccinated mother-in-law. I don't need a mask.
But not all outdoor settings are that socially distant. So saying "masks outdoors are unneccessary" is simply not sensible.
Tom

Exactly. I hike. I wear a mask if there's anyone nearby, but mostly I simply avoid being near people in the first place. This winter I only actually put my mask on a few times.

You have GOT to be kidding me. I thought I had heard it all...until now. And this woman owns a school where parents pay many thousands of dollars to send their kids? Unbelievable.

Ruth

Somehow I think they didn't run that by a lawyer.

That said, obviously 2 meters is better than 1 to reduce the risk. And 3 is better than 2, etc., all other things equal.

All things being equal? Stay home and stop lecturing and finger wagging.

This post keeps popping up for me as the top in the page, and I still am so surprised that someone would make such a remarkably inappropriate post to a person living in Brazil, where the outbreaks are so severe and the hospitals so overloaded.

It seems like such a callous “let them eat cake” kind of bravado.

Wait, isn't "staying home" effectively a "lockdown" or "shelter in place", something California authoritarians have been banging on about for almost a year ?

Oh. You needed me to explain it better? Sorry, I thought you'd be able to detect the point.

What I mean for you to understand was that replying, "stop lecturing and finger wagging," to a guy talking about airborne illness safety in a country on the verge of healthcare collapse, is achingly callous.

(also, sorry for misstating the country - it is Argentina, not Brazil. Argentina's caseload is worse than Brazil's)

Again,
It's about using judgement. I run the dog through the woods regularly. I don't wear a mask. I'm sitting in the yard right now. The only person within 100' is my vaccinated mother-in-law. I don't need a mask.
But not all outdoor settings are that socially distant. So saying "masks outdoors are unneccessary" is simply not sensible.
Tom
Exactly. I hike. I wear a mask if there's anyone nearby, but mostly I simply avoid being near people in the first place. This winter I only actually put my mask on a few times..

noting for the record that Buenos Aires population density is 34,88/sqmi - you can compare to NYC at 27,000/sqmi and quickly conclude that just being outside does not equal being distanced enough to go without a mask.

When you care about people, and when you are capable of doing math, the insanity of saying that "masks outdoors are unnecessary" becomes readily apparent.

Last edited:
In my most cynical moments, I figure that those who have been decrying the 'population explosion' are about to have their wish as COVID19 and its variants take out huge numbers in less wealthy countries.

But most of us who care about overpopulation are bleeding hearts, so it is achingly Pyrrhic.

You have GOT to be kidding me. I thought I had heard it all...until now. And this woman owns a school where parents pay many thousands of dollars to send their kids? Unbelievable.

Ruth
What is next? Zoom causes cancer?
Well, a lot more people used Zoom last year and a lot more people died last year. Can’t be a coincidence!

CDC says it is safe for vaccinated people to unmask outdoors | TheHill
"New guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says it is safe for people who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be outside without a mask, but only in small groups."

noting
Choosing Safer Activities | CDC

That page has a chart of the level of safety of each activity.

I must say that I would like to have a COVID-19 vaccine passport, because of stuff like this:

A passport to freedom? Fake COVID-19 test results and vaccination certificates offered on Darknet and hacking forums - Mar 22

Fake Covid-19 Certificates Hit Airlines, Which Now Have to Police Them - WSJ - Apr 13 - "Test results, often required to fly across borders, can be easily manipulated"

Here is that chart:

[TABLE="class: grid"]
[TR]
[TD]Activity[/TD]
[TD]Vac[/TD]
[TD]No Vac[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan:3"]Outdoor[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Walk, run, or bike outdoors with members of your household[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Attend a small, outdoor gathering with fully vaccinated family and friends[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Attend a small, outdoor gathering with fully vaccinated and unvaccinated people[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]M[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Dine at an outdoor restaurant with friends from multiple households[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]M =[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Attend a crowded, outdoor event, like a live performance, parade, or sports event[/TD]
[TD]M[/TD]
[TD]M = =[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan:3"]Indoor[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Visit a barber or hair salon[/TD]
[TD]M[/TD]
[TD]M =[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Go to an uncrowded, indoor shopping center or museum[/TD]
[TD]M[/TD]
[TD]M =[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ride public transport with limited occupancy[/TD]
[TD]M[/TD]
[TD]M =[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Attend a small, indoor gathering of fully vaccinated and unvaccinated people from multiple households[/TD]
[TD]M[/TD]
[TD]M =[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Go to an indoor movie theater[/TD]
[TD]M[/TD]
[TD]M = =[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Attend a full-capacity worship service[/TD]
[TD]M[/TD]
[TD]M = =[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sing in an indoor chorus[/TD]
[TD]M[/TD]
[TD]M = =[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Eat at an indoor restaurant or bar[/TD]
[TD]M[/TD]
[TD]M = =[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Participate in an indoor, high intensity exercise class[/TD]
[TD]M[/TD]
[TD]M = =[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

• Vac = Fully Vaccinated
  • No Vac = Unvaccinated
  • (blank) - Prevention measures not needed
  • M - Take prevention measures
    • No Vac - lower-face mask
    • Vac - lower-face mask, 6 ft / 2 m apart, wash your hands
  • (blank) Safest
  • = Less Safe
  • = = Least Safe

Outdoors, the risk from aerosols is far lower than indoors. But if you're walking down the street, there are people coming in the other direction, talking, breathing heavily (running, for example), and sometimes even coughing. That can hit you with larger droplets. And you can hit them. A good mask will stop the vast majority of those, both incoming and outgoing (adding a shield will help as well, even if the latter is useless against aerosols; masks work against them too and indoors, of course with limitations).

Joe Rogan, the buff broadcasting behemoth who commands a loyal following among his millions of fans, told listeners of his Spotify podcast there's no need to get vaccinated if they're fit and healthy. His comments go against guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that say vaccinations are safe for everyone over 16, and are necessary for the country to reach herd immunity and safely open up. Speaking on a newly-released episode of The Joe Rogan Experience, Rogan, 53, said he recommended 'vulnerable' people get the shot, adding his parents had received their vaccines. 'People say, Do you think it's safe to get vaccinated? I've said, yeah, I think for the most part it's safe to get vaccinated. I do. I do. But if you're like 21 years old, and you say to me, Should I get vaccinated? I'll go no, If you're a healthy person, and you're exercising all the time, and you're young, and you're eating well, like, I don't think you need to worry about this.'

DailyMail

I have only heard Rogan a few times when he was an occasional guest on the KROQ Kevin and Bean show and he came across as a bit of a conspiracy nut.

Joe Rogan is a moron, at least on this subject. The young and healthy may get the virus and come through unscathed but could also spread the virus to those who cannot be vaccinated and give opportunity for the virus to mutate.

CDC says it is safe for vaccinated people to unmask outdoors | TheHill
"New guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says it is safe for people who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be outside without a mask, but only in small groups."

noting
Choosing Safer Activities | CDC

That page has a chart of the level of safety of each activity.

I must say that I would like to have a COVID-19 vaccine passport, because of stuff like this:

A passport to freedom? Fake COVID-19 test results and vaccination certificates offered on Darknet and hacking forums - Mar 22

Fake Covid-19 Certificates Hit Airlines, Which Now Have to Police Them - WSJ - Apr 13 - "Test results, often required to fly across borders, can be easily manipulated"
My vaccine cards don't look particularly official. Having a passport would have been a good idea. But this is America and freedumb is to override all else, because why should a person who wasn't vaccinated not be allowed to enter another country. They have a right as an American to go into any other country they.... wait... they don't, do they.

DailyMail

Yet, for some reason you cited him. Do you have any links for former MTV VJs and their thoughts on the Covid-19 vaccine? Or are you just Poe'ing because it is a hobby?

Like wearing shoes and a shirt in a restaurant... are you calling me gross? how dare you... my individual freedoms will not be infringed by your irrational fear of my chest hairs and the condition of my toes (it's much better now that I did the Lamisil thing).

If I choose to take a shit in the middle of a PUBLIC street that I pay taxes to maintain, then how dare you infringe my personal freedom!

That is exactly how I view people with the same view as TSwizzle on the topic of public safety... like neanderthals that don't understand why they can't just shit wherever they want, whenever they want... and rant about it.

DailyMail

Joe Rogan is a moron, at least on this subject. The young and healthy may get the virus and come through unscathed but could also spread the virus to those who cannot be vaccinated and give opportunity for the virus to mutate.

and not only that, but they give the virus a few million more dice rolls to see if they can hit the "new strain" jackpot that will set us all back to day 1 new pandemic for ANOTHER year.

Back
Top Bottom