• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Poll Dem VP Pic: your choice?

Reflecting that a poll is included in the thread.

Democratic Vice President Pick

• Josh Shapiro

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Gretchen Whimer

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Michelle Obama

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Cory Booker

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Schumer

• Other?

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Eric Swalwell

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Andy Beshear

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

The dems needs millions more votes than republicans to win the Presidency. Kelly and/or Shapiro would have expanded the vote and shored up some her weaknesses.
they only need thousands in a few key locations.

That is, if it doesn’t come down to a certification race.

The facts for Derec’s edification remain salient, though. This kind of story does not create broad harm to men by the retelling, even when it’s false, as the false bit about Harris does to women.

I just wanted to expand on this for Derec, in case he still doesn’t understand it.
  • If you repeatedly (falsely or accurately) accuse men for engaging in self love, with or without a couch; they will not become identified as and normalized as PREY for predatory women.
  • If you repeatedly (falsely or accurately) accuse women for engaging in providing sex for favors; they, women in general, become identified as and normalized as PREY by predatory men.
There is an enormous, huge, vast different between mocking men for self-gratification and mocking women as objects of others’ gratification.
One is a joke at someone's expense. The other is an attack to belittle the target. I think the word "repeatedly" is accurate, though obsessively wouldn't be inaccurate, as Derec has gone as far as calling Harris 'Heels up' on numerous occasions.

The interesting this is that Derec is allegedly "liberal" about sex, but that only seems to be as far as his needs are concerned. When it comes to a woman and sex, it is alright to Puritanize it and attack woman with it.
And also to denigrate younger women/older men relationships, for no rational reason at all and indeed for no stated reason whatsoever.
Oh, the reason was to cast aspersions on the character of a smart, ambitious, accomplished woman who is also a woman of color.

I'm starting to love Walz, despite being dubious at first. I think he's a wonderful person with lots of experience who will be able to draw in a good number of rural voters. Plus, he has a wonderful sense of humor, which to me is a big plus for a politician. I was so happy to see so many NYTImes commenters praising him this morning after an editorial written by a woman who grew up in rural America!

I agree with you. He's a very convincing, sincere and charismatic progressive. I don't think that he will upstage Harris. He is a very safe pick. He has my vote. But Harris has my vote also. However, he dosn't expand the base. My vote was already in the bag. But if Harris wants to win, we need to expand the vote.
Get out the vote, not expand. The only "expansion" that pays dividends is in the suburbs. To win the Democrats need:
  • strong turnout among African Americans
    • Walz doesn't help
  • to win suburban women vote
    • Walz will help a little,
    • Harris ads are pushing the prosecutor angle to help secure the suburban vote
  • to win secure the north
    • Walz should help via organic Midwestern identity
    • His impact on PA is unknown, but I think he definitely helps MI and WI
The dems needs millions more votes than republicans to win the Presidency. Kelly and/or Shapiro would have expanded the vote and shored up some her weaknesses.
I'd say this ticket already has the popular vote win. So we swing to the Electoral College.

The Democrats need the North, West coast, and then one of NV, GA, or AZ. Kelly is awesome on paper, but I'm uncertain how broad of support gain he provides. I worry that he ignites a little bit in people that'll end up voting for Trump anyway. Shapiro is NE elite Democrat territory. Sounds very well spoken and articulate, probably mop the floor with Vance. Helps with PA, but as another former Attorney General, it is doubling up and the GOP attack on the Dem ticket being elitist. We see the GOP is already at the bottom of the barrel with Walz.

If Walz shores up the north wall, his selection is worth gold as that provides a path for Harris to hit much harder on the NV, AZ territory, and maybe GA and/or FL. Being local, him campaigning up there has a bonus as well. He isn't an outsider.

Why do people forget that Kamala is a Jamaican-Indian-American, and not just Indian-American?
That is what Trump is asking whether Kamala is an Indian or an American. Dumb head.
Kamala is an American.
He didn’t ask whether she was Indian or American. He asked whether she was Indian or black. Still dumb as fuck. It’s as if he is so stupid he can’t understand that people can and usually do have more than one ancestry.
As I understand, Shyamala Gopalan, Kamla's mother was an Indian immigrant. I do not know if she had received American citizenship.
Therefore, Kamala's mother was not an Indian.
It is such a pain writing 'Kamala'. The normal spelling is 'Kamla' in India.

Sigh. We’’re talking about descent.

Uh, no. That's what Modi's student association goons are asking about Harris, not what Trump was asking. And neither are really "asking" anything. What they are saying, in the form of a bullshit leading question, is "mixed race people cannot be trusted". Racist ideologies never have anything new to add to the American conversation, it's been the same tired rhetoric since the 1780s.
There is nothing racist about it. The fact is that Kamala's mother was an immigrant to US (therefore, not an Indian), and she married a Jamaican. Further more, Kamala is not a Hindu, she is a Christian. Therefore, Kamala's has a distant relationship with India. She does not even write her name in the Indian way. Indians are not really concerned about American presidency. We can live happily with Kamala as well as Trump. We had no problem with either Obama or Trump in the past. Kamala is not going to change geo-political situation. It is a matter which Americans need to decide.

Last edited:
Indians are not really concerned about American presidency.
We know. India is a peasants’ paradise where equity and equality are normal fare, there is no political strife and their democratic leader caters to the needs of all The People.
That’s why they are unconcerned about Putin taking over Ukraine, Poland, Latvia etc.
Hey - they gots nukes! Why worry? Be happy!

I'm starting to love Walz, despite being dubious at first. I think he's a wonderful person with lots of experience who will be able to draw in a good number of rural voters. Plus, he has a wonderful sense of humor, which to me is a big plus for a politician. I was so happy to see so many NYTImes commenters praising him this morning after an editorial written by a woman who grew up in rural America!

I agree with you. He's a very convincing, sincere and charismatic progressive. I don't think that he will upstage Harris. He is a very safe pick. He has my vote. But Harris has my vote also. However, he dosn't expand the base. My vote was already in the bag. But if Harris wants to win, we need to expand the vote. The dems needs millions more votes than republicans to win the Presidency. Kelly and/or Shapiro would have expanded the vote and shored up some her weaknesses.
From what I've read so far, I think he has the potential to expand the Dem base. A lot of independents seem pleased with him and he did win a rural district as a member of Congress quite a few times, one that later went for Trump. He comes from a modest, rural background and can relate to the rural folks a lot more than Trump or Vance can.

Moderates and independents in the central parts of the country, are sick of the so called liberal coastal elites who often belittle them. Plus, as Trump gets crazier by the day, more people who were not sure who they would vote for, seem to be turning away from him. I doubt the hardcore members of the cult will listen to reason, but those who were double haters or undecided or low information voters might find they can relate to somebody like Walz.

Still, he's not at the top of the ticket, so it's really up to Harris to keep people energized. VP candidates rarely make much difference when it comes to who wins the race, but Walz is far superior in so many ways compared to Vance that he might be able to help draw in more needed votes. I read some comments by progressives who said they wouldn't vote if Shapiro was chosen due to his support of Israel. I think that's childish, but they are very happy with Walz, so that's a good thing. I will never understand voters who base their vote on one issue or something they don't like. The job of the presidency is complicated, so competency should come first, or country over party as quite a few Republicans for Harris are now saying.

I don't understand how anyone can vote for Trump. My sister told me that the ultra wealthy in her area in NJ have huge Trump banners and American flags flying across the front of their mansions. We know that's all about greed and tax breaks. But, the lower and middle class white folks who struggle to pay their bills aren't going to benefit from voting for Trump. I'm hoping more of them will realize they've been manipulated by a grifter or will consider that Harris and Walz have a lot more things to offer them. It's all going to be about voter turnout. That's how Biden won in Georgia in 2020. I know quite a few people who voted for the first times in their lives in 2020, so they could vote against Trump. Harris has energized a lot of this type in Georgia, so if they all vote, we will have a chance of turning Georgia blue again in 2024, along with some other states. Trump keeps saying that Harris and Walz will turn the US into hell. As usual he's projecting.

And when Trump said he believes that Biden is going to claim to be the nominee during the Democratic convention and push Harris out of the way, I had to wonder why his supporters didn't see his insanity or early signs of dementia.

View attachment 47102

I know we’re not s’posed to post stuff without comment, but what’s left to say?
Shady Vance is a Trumpsucking slimeball?
Everybody already knew that.
So veterans are to be honored and worshipped... except if they are Democrats and then they can be slandered. Yes, Sen. John Kerry did already come to mind.

I agree with you. He's a very convincing, sincere and charismatic progressive. I don't think that he will upstage Harris. He is a very safe pick. He has my vote. But Harris has my vote also. However, he dosn't expand the base. My vote was already in the bag. But if Harris wants to win, we need to expand the vote. The dems needs millions more votes than republicans to win the Presidency. Kelly and/or Shapiro would have expanded the vote and shored up some her weaknesses.

I agree with Sohy that you've got Walz pegged wrong. He really is more of a moderate than a progressive, although he did do some minor reforms in Minnesota that appealed to progressives. When he was in Congress, he was a solid moderate representing a very conservative voting district. They flipped back to the Republican side when he left Congress. The kinds of reforms he achieved as governor are largely those that can be sold to conservative and rural voters, even though they represent policies that the Republican Party itself habitually rejects--e.g. granting voting rights to ex-felons. That's something that even Donald Trump might appreciate.

Democrats do not do well with rural voters. Walz does well with rural voters. Democrats tend to fail to energize the youth vote. Both Harris and Walz energize the youth vote. It's too early to tell yet, but I think Walz will bring in new rural and young voters that neither Harris or Shapiro would be able to appeal to.

View attachment 47102

"Hum? I've got 25 years of service. I was eligible for retirement five years ago. Should I go into a combat zone or go home to my wife and four year old daughter? What to do? What to do?"

Indians are not really concerned about American presidency. We can live happily with Kamala as well as Trump. We had no problem with either Obama or Trump in the past. Kamala is not going to change geo-political situation. It is a matter which Americans need to decide.
So, it is your position that geopolitics are the same no matter who the American president is or what diplomatic policies or directions he/she chooses?

Or if that only from an Indian perspective, you aren’t speaking for the rest of the world?

From what I've read so far, I think he has the potential to expand the Dem base. A lot of independents seem pleased with him and he did win a rural district as a member of Congress quite a few times, one that later went for Trump. He comes from a modest, rural background and can relate to the rural folks a lot more than Trump or Vance can.

Moderates and independents in the central parts of the country, are sick of the so called liberal coastal elites who often belittle them. Plus, as Trump gets crazier by the day, more people who were not sure who they would vote for, seem to be turning away from him. I doubt the hardcore members of the cult will listen to reason, but those who were double haters or undecided or low information voters might find they can relate to somebody like Walz.

Still, he's not at the top of the ticket, so it's really up to Harris to keep people energized. VP candidates rarely make much difference when it comes to who wins the race, but Walz is far superior in so many ways compared to Vance that he might be able to help draw in more needed votes. I read some comments by progressives who said they wouldn't vote if Shapiro was chosen due to his support of Israel. I think that's childish, but they are very happy with Walz, so that's a good thing. I will never understand voters who base their vote on one issue or something they don't like. The job of the presidency is complicated, so competency should come first, or country over party as quite a few Republicans for Harris are now saying.

I don't understand how anyone can vote for Trump. My sister told me that the ultra wealthy in her area in NJ have huge Trump banners and American flags flying across the front of their mansions. We know that's all about greed and tax breaks. But, the lower and middle class white folks who struggle to pay their bills aren't going to benefit from voting for Trump. I'm hoping more of them will realize they've been manipulated by a grifter or will consider that Harris and Walz have a lot more things to offer them. It's all going to be about voter turnout. That's how Biden won in Georgia in 2020. I know quite a few people who voted for the first times in their lives in 2020, so they could vote against Trump. Harris has energized a lot of this type in Georgia, so if they all vote, we will have a chance of turning Georgia blue again in 2024, along with some other states. Trump keeps saying that Harris and Walz will turn the US into hell. As usual he's projecting.

And when Trump said he believes that Biden is going to claim to be the nominee during the Democratic convention and push Harris out of the way, I had to wonder why his supporters didn't see his insanity or early signs of dementia.
Early signs of dementia? Is it still early if it's been going on for 7+ years?

To be perfectly honest, I do not think ANYBODY gives a rat's ass if Trump has dementia or not, so long as he's able to attract large crowds. It's not as though he will actually be making decisions. He's to be a figurehead and is either too stupid or too scared to care.

[m
Uh, no. That's what Modi's student association goons are asking about Harris, not what Trump was asking. And neither are really "asking" anything. What they are saying, in the form of a bullshit leading question, is "mixed race people cannot be trusted". Racist ideologies never have anything new to add to the American conversation, it's been the same tired rhetoric since the 1780s.
There is nothing racist about it. The fact is that Kamala's mother was an immigrant to US (therefore, not an Indian), and she married a Jamaican.
If Kamala's mother was born and came from India, she is considered Indian in the USA. Your opinion is irrelevant.

Early signs of dementia? Is it still early if it's been going on for 7+ years?

To be perfectly honest, I do not think ANYBODY gives a rat's ass if Trump has dementia or not, so long as he's able to attract large crowds. It's not as though he will actually be making decisions. He's to be a figurehead and is either too stupid or too scared to care.

The thought that came to mind when I read this was Glen Campbell. The American country singer/guitarist who was also part of the famous "Wrecking Crew" of studio musicians who played on so many hit records in the classic era of pop-rock music. He was an absurdly talented musician. Arguably one of the best country guitar players of all time. Yet he also had a serious substance abuse problem. I remember back in the early 2000s when he was arrested for drunk driving in Phoenix, and he did the "do you know who I am?" thing as he was being hauled off to jail. I met him in 2008, and while the dementia was still years off, it was clear that his lifestyle had taken it's toll. When he picked up a guitar and started picking, I remember thinking "holy shit this is really Glen Campbell!"

When he was diagnosed and started to decline, he (or his family, or his handlers) decided to go out on a "farewell" tour. Put him up on stage and hand him a guitar? He was the same Glen everyone knew. When he was shuffled offstage it was a man who was no longer in control of his faculties. But he was out there on tour. Making money. Having his final days filmed for a heartbreaking (but very successful) documentary film.

I of course am in no position to diagnose Trump with dementia, but it seems to me like he's in the early stages of some sort of decline. He's able to get up onstage and play the gig (with a few slurring parts and mistakes) but he's still "that guy" who he was back in 2016. I also saw this first-hand with our infamous Sheriff Joe Arpaio. A doddering old man who didn't know where he was, but put him in front of a mic and he transforms into "America's Toughest Sheriff" long enough to deliver his lines.

View attachment 47102

This story is going viral in the right wing echo chamber, so it requires more background detail for a better understanding. See:

Vance reopens line of attack into Walz’s military record as two veterans now vie to be vice president

The zombie scandal itself was dug up and reanimated from Minnesota Republicans who had used it to try a kind of swiftboating attack on Walz. Apparently, Walz was succeeded by an officer who replaced him and wanted to help the Republicans try to stink up Walz's 24-year service record. So the guy posted a letter to Facebook, making Minnesota Republicans whoop with joy. Walz was elected anyway, because nobody but diehard Republicans cared.

The relevant facts are that Walz was appointed to Command Sergeant Major in the fall of 2004, but he hadn't finished all of his coursework to retire at that rank when he decided to retire from service. Walz submitted his papers to retire in February 2005. Retirement was approved for a May retirement, before his unit was mobilized for deployment to Iraq. The mobilization order was announced in July of 2005, two months after he had officially retired. From the above article:

The criticisms of his military record from within the state during his gubernatorial campaigns also focused on his rank when he retired.

Walz reached the rank of command master sergeant, but he officially retired as a master sergeant— one rank below command sergeant major — because “he did not complete additional coursework at the US Army Sergeants Major Academy,” according to the Guard.

Joseph Eustice, a 32-year veteran who led the same battalion as Walz, told the Star Tribune in 2022 that Walz did nothing wrong when he left the Guard.

”He was a great soldier,” Eustice said. “When he chose to leave, he had every right to leave.”

Back
Top Bottom