• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats 2020

48? Maybe in Rasmussen, but nowhere else.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/398796-poll-trump-approval-now-at-48-percent

Yea, over confidence is a real problem for democrats in my opinion. You may or may not like the Hill as a source.

One new poll then, which again makes it misleading to say his approval is at 48.

But here's the problem: all the factors favor a Trump reelection. His base is strong and united. The economy continues to be very strong. Trump only needs about 43 or 44% of the popular vote to win. The dems will need a great candidate to pull of the upset to beat Trump. We need someone who can appeal to a broad array of voters. Warren appeals to people who are pissed off at bankers, amazon, and facebook. Her base is too small...

All the factors? Not really, since for one, his approval numbers don't.

I have already named Harris the presumptive nominee. Warren isn't going anywhere.

Probably a safe bet. Warren just came out for impeachment. So she's throwing in the towel. Trump's at 48% approval, dems start going after him for impeachment - he'll go over 55% shortly! Warren is getting desperate.

I don't think that Warren is getting desperate. I think that she is extremely focused on doing what she thinks is right, regardless of whether it is popular. And even if it costs her the nomination. That is both her strength and her weakness: she has a sharp focus on doing whatever she thinks is right, regardless of the outcome for herself. I'm not sure she is able to see how a loss for her personally might be a bigger loss for the nation.

I like and admire Warren very much but I am not sure that I think she would be an effective POTUS. I tend to see her as more effective where she is or else in a good cabinet position.

I like Harris the most right now. I think she's tough enough and pragmatic enough to be effective. Ideologically, I think I like some others better but I think Harris would be the best POTUS.

Booker would be a good Veep; so would Klobuchar. Maybe so would Buttigieg but I think he needs a little more time to grow.

I look at the democratic field as an embarrassment of riches, to tell the truth.

I have already named Harris the presumptive nominee. Warren isn't going anywhere.

Probably a safe bet. Warren just came out for impeachment. So she's throwing in the towel. Trump's at 48% approval, dems start going after him for impeachment - he'll go over 55% shortly! Warren is getting desperate.

I don't think that Warren is getting desperate. I think that she is extremely focused on doing what she thinks is right, regardless of whether it is popular. And even if it costs her the nomination. That is both her strength and her weakness: she has a sharp focus on doing whatever she thinks is right, regardless of the outcome for herself. I'm not sure she is able to see how a loss for her personally might be a bigger loss for the nation.

I like and admire Warren very much but I am not sure that I think she would be an effective POTUS. I tend to see her as more effective where she is or else in a good cabinet position.

I like Harris the most right now. I think she's tough enough and pragmatic enough to be effective. Ideologically, I think I like some others better but I think Harris would be the best POTUS.

Booker would be a good Veep; so would Klobuchar. Maybe so would Buttigieg but I think he needs a little more time to grow.

I look at the democratic field as an embarrassment of riches, to tell the truth.

Why would she think impeaching Trump is right? That seems to require a high level of delusion.

For what exactly should he be impeached?

Why would she think impeaching Trump is right? That seems to require a high level of delusion.

For the many, many crimes he attempted to commit, ordered others to commit.

If I try to hire an undercover law enforcement agent to murder someone, I've committed a crime and I should be prosecuted, even though the person was never harmed nor intended to be harmed. Similarly, for all the attempts at obstruction of justice, for example, such a when he ordered people to fire Mueller and others, that was attempted obstruction. The fact that his campaign attempted to work in concert with the Russians and were foiled only because someone at the last moment refused to move forward. I haven't read the report yet but seriously: If Clinton can be impeached for his sex life, then Trump should be impeached for his sex life, for lying, for gross negligence, etc. I think there's a very good reason that he has not filled his cabinet two years in. He doesn't want anyone to have the power to remove him from office. I detest the man, it's true but aside from that, he seems to be in serious mental decline and for that reason, if for no other reason, he should not be in office of any kind.

Pence might be worse simply because I think he's competent. I think he's morally bankrupt but he's competent.

For the many, many crimes he attempted to commit, ordered others to commit.

If I try to hire an undercover law enforcement agent to murder someone, I've committed a crime and I should be prosecuted, even though the person was never harmed nor intended to be harmed. Similarly, for all the attempts at obstruction of justice, for example, such a when he ordered people to fire Mueller and others, that was attempted obstruction. The fact that his campaign attempted to work in concert with the Russians and were foiled only because someone at the last moment refused to move forward. I haven't read the report yet but seriously: If Clinton can be impeached for his sex life, then Trump should be impeached for his sex life, for lying, for gross negligence, etc. I think there's a very good reason that he has not filled his cabinet two years in. He doesn't want anyone to have the power to remove him from office. I detest the man, it's true but aside from that, he seems to be in serious mental decline and for that reason, if for no other reason, he should not be in office of any kind.

Pence might be worse simply because I think he's competent. I think he's morally bankrupt but he's competent.

Well, good luck with that.

There may be an empty street corner where you can shoot it at people passing by.

Yeah Toni, you're crazy. It's not like we have any precedent of anyone ever being impeached for anything like that in history. Or do we?

Article 1

RESOLVED, That Richard M. Nixon, President of the United States, is impeached for high crimes and misdemeanours, and that the following articles of impeachment to be exhibited to the Senate:
ARTICLES OF IMPEACHMENT EXHIBITED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IN THE NAME OF ITSELF AND OF ALL OF THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, AGAINST RICHARDf M. NIXON, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, IN MAINTENANCE AND SUPPORT OF ITS IMPEACHMENT AGAINST HIM FOR HIGH CRIMES AND MISDEMEANOURS.
ARTICLE 1
In his conduct of the office of President of the United States, Richard M. Nixon, in violation of his constitutional oath faithfully to execute the office of President of the United States and, to the best of his ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, and in violation of his consitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed, has prevented, obstructed, and impeded the administration of justice, in that:
On June 17, 1972, and prior thereto, agents of the Committee for the Re-election of the President committed unlawful entry of the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee in Washington, District of Columbia, for the purpose of securing political intelligence. Subsequent thereto, Richard M. Nixon, using the powers of his high office, engaged personally and through his close subordinates and agents, in a course of conduct or plan designed to delay, impede, and obstruct the investigation of such illegal entry; to cover up, conceal and protect those responsible; and to conceal the existence and scope of other unlawful covert activities.
The means used to implement this course of conduct or plan included one or more of the following:

1. making false or misleading statements to lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States;
  2. withholding relevant and material evidence or information from lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States;
  3. approving, condoning, acquiescing in, and counselling witnesses with respect to the giving of false or misleading statements to lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States and false or misleading testimony in duly instituted judicial and congressional proceedings;
  4. interfering or endeavouring to interfere with the conduct of investigations by the Department of Justice of the United States, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the office of Watergate Special Prosecution Force, and Congressional Committees;
  5. approving, condoning, and acquiescing in, the surreptitious payment of substantial sums of money for the purpose of obtaining the silence or influencing the testimony of witnesses, potential witnesses or individuals who participated in such unlawful entry and other illegal activities;
  6. endeavouring to misuse the Central Intelligence Agency, an agency of the United States;
  7. disseminating information received from officers of the Department of Justice of the United States to subjects of investigations conducted by lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States, for the purpose of aiding and assisting such subjects in their attempts to avoid criminal liability;
  8. making or causing to be made false or misleading public statements for the purpose of deceiving the people of the United States into believing that a thorough and complete investigation had been conducted with respect to allegations of misconduct on the part of personnel of the executive branch of the United States and personnel of the Committee for the Re-election of the President, and that there was no involvement of such personnel in such misconduct: or
  9. endeavouring to cause prospective defendants, and individuals duly tried and convicted, to expect favoured treatment and consideration in return for their silence or false testimony, or rewarding individuals for their silence or false testimony.
In all of this, Richard M. Nixon has acted in a manner contrary to his trust as President and subversive of constitutional government, to the great prejudice of the cause of law and justice and to the manifest injury of the people of the United States.
Wherefore Richard M. Nixon, by such conduct, warrants impeachment and trial, and removal from office.

Impeachment was invented for presidents like Trump.

What's was their net approval by the first quarter of their third year in office?
That should be easy to research.

I did so, and I found that every one of those presidents had a net positive approval rating at that time except for Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan, and their ratings were roughly equal to pResident Trump's at this time. So far, the current pResident has set a record in being the only president with a consistently negative net approval rating over his first three years in office -- its average is -10%.

What's was their net approval by the first quarter of their third year in office?
That should be easy to research.

I did so, and I found that every one of those presidents had a net positive approval rating at that time except for Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan, and their ratings were roughly equal to pResident Trump's at this time. So far, the current pResident has set a record in being the only president with a consistently negative net approval rating over his first three years in office -- its average is -10%.

Okay, so Reagan was reelected despite having an approval rating similar to Trump at the time. So, based on that information alone, Trump's reelection would be improbable, but less so than if one bases the assessment on the comparison you made here.

Still, one has to consider the rest of the available information, not only the approval rating during his mandate. For example, what was Trump's approval rating before being elected? Did any previous candidate win with such a low rating? Did any win with a similarly low percentage of the total number of votes?

Here's a recent analysis that considers the economy instead:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...paign=socialflow-organic&utm_content=business

That is also a very partial analysis, though. In my view, there are other factors that make Trump's reelection probable at this point, like the potential opponents, the fight between centrists and leftists in the Democratic party, the commitment of Trump's base and their geographical distribution, and so on. Of course, the competition is still wide open, but at this point, I think he's likely to be reelected. But we'll see, maybe that will change as the election approaches.

Joe Biden is expected to announce his candidacy some time this week. But what kind of a candidate will he be?

Millennials Are the Most Indebted Generation. They Can Thank Joe Biden.
Joe Biden is trying to appeal to younger voters as he is expected to launch his bid for the presidency. However, for years, Biden made it his mission to block student debt forgiveness, leaving many young people facing a lifetime of debt.

Student debt broke $1.5 trillion in the first quarter of 2018 according to the Federal Reserve, outstripping auto loan ($1.1 trillion) and credit card debt ($977 billion) significantly, with 1.1 million people owing over $100,000 for their educational expenses. Twenty percent of student borrowers default on their loan payments.

Progressive firebrand and presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren has a long history of fighting against these erosions in bankruptcy protection laws, and she has repeatedly called out Biden specifically. In response to a 1998 industry push, she told The Washington Post that, “Those who want to say [that] the way to solve rising consumer bankruptcy is by changing the law are the same people who would have said during a malaria epidemic that the way to cut down on hospital admissions is to lock the door.” Perhaps her most devastating attack on Biden was actually a compilation of praise from lending industry publications who hailed the Delaware senator as “the linchpin’ to passage of the bill,’ ‘a staunch supporter,’ ‘pivotal,’ ‘a strong proponent,’ ‘the only Democratic true believer,’ ‘possibly the bankruptcy bill’s staunchest defender,’ and ‘the most ardent Democratic supporter of bankruptcy legislation.’”

Of the 18 Democratic senators who ultimately contributed to the major 2005 bankruptcy bill’s passage, none were as consistent or deep in their support of the lending industry as Joe Biden.

Joe Biden's 1988 presidential run doomed by plagiarism scandal - Business Insider
  • Former Vice President Joe Biden mounted an unsuccessful presidential campaign in 1988.
  • When incidents of plagiarism in campaign speeches and during his time in law school came to light, his campaign was soon suspended.
  • "My intent was not to deceive anyone,'' Biden wrote at the time. ''For if it were, I would not have been so blatant.''
  • Biden is mulling another run at president in 2020, of which an announcement could come this month.
During his failed 1988 run, Biden lifted portions of a speech by United Kingdom Labour MP and Margaret Thatcher challenger Neil Kinnock.

During an event at the Iowa State Fair, Biden mimicked entire portions of Kinnock's speech from earlier in the year. At one moment, Biden repeated the line that he was the first "in a thousand generations" to graduate from college, gesturing to his wife in the exact same way Kinnock did, while also saying the same line about her education and lineage.

Why Joe Biden could lose if he decides to run for president in 2020 - Business Insider
With already-announced candidates like Sen. Kamala Harris already backtracking on her career as California attorney general, Biden could face similar criticisms on hot-button issues like criminal justice.

In an unearthed 1993 Senate floor speech unearthed by CNN, Biden railed against "predators" and other criminals while pushing the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act.

"They are beyond the pale many of those people, beyond the pale," Biden said at the time. "And it's a sad commentary on society. We have no choice but to take them out of society."

Joe Biden is expected to announce his candidacy some time this week. But what kind of a candidate will he be?

Millennials Are the Most Indebted Generation. They Can Thank Joe Biden.

Joe Biden's 1988 presidential run doomed by plagiarism scandal - Business Insider

Why Joe Biden could lose if he decides to run for president in 2020 - Business Insider
With already-announced candidates like Sen. Kamala Harris already backtracking on her career as California attorney general, Biden could face similar criticisms on hot-button issues like criminal justice.

In an unearthed 1993 Senate floor speech unearthed by CNN, Biden railed against "predators" and other criminals while pushing the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act.

"They are beyond the pale many of those people, beyond the pale," Biden said at the time. "And it's a sad commentary on society. We have no choice but to take them out of society."

Do you realize that Bernie also supported that crime bill as did most Democrats, including most of the Congressional Black Caucus? Hindsight is 20/20 Parts of the law were good, while others had unintended consequences.

Biden changed his position on college debt quite awhile ago. I think it's very unfair to blame him or those who supported some of those laws for the dept that some younger people foolishly took on. Lower the interest rates. Give them options like serving as teachers in underserved areas for loan forgiveness etc. But, making it easy to have loan forgiveness isn't the best option imo. College should be far more affordable than it currently is, but I don't think that's the fault of Congress.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/10/22/biden-calls-for-4-years-of-free-college

Biden announced Wednesday that he will not run for president, his speech in the White House Rose Garden, flanked by President Barack Obama and his wife, Jill Biden, sounded more like a campaign stump than anything else.

Among the many lofty goals he said Democrats should prioritize during the 2016 election is a fresh look at the public education system, from kindergarten through grade 12 to pre-K through college.

"I believe we have to level the playing field for the American people," Biden said. "And that's going to take access to education and opportunity to work."

"We need to commit to 16 years of free public education for all our children," he said, adding two years to the president's previous proposal of free community college for all.

"We all know that 12 years of public education is not enough," Biden continued. "As a nation, let's make the same commitment to a college education today that we made to a high school education a hundred years ago."

In Obama's 2016 budget proposal, he requested $60 billion for two years of free community college for low-income students. And while higher education has been a focal point of many Democratic presidential candidates, it's barely nicked the radar of the Republican contenders

The above was from 2015. All of these candidates have baggage from the past that can be used against them, but I'm not interested in the mistakes that they may have made in the past. I want to know where they stand today. But my most important priority is can a particular candidate beat Trump.

I really don't see that much difference between most of these candidates values and platforms. Many of their goals are extremely unrealistic, imo, but they all seem to be heading in the same direction with some variation. For example, all of them support UHC although there are several different ways to get there. I'm not interested in the details as much as I am in their experience and their potential to win.

Has Robert De Niro announced his candidacy yet?

Imagine a De Niro with running mate creepy Joe candidacy!

The Trumpet is almost guaranteed another term the way Dems are behaving and the people who have raised their hands up to run so far.

All of the things you're saying are wrong, though, which is why I don't take it lightly. The dismissal of any position that unequivocally rejects the opposition as "absolutism is wrong and dangerous", holding compromise up as a virtue for its own sake, the reduction of all problems to a vague tribalism that could be solved if everyone just gets along. I disagree with it all from bottom to top and think it has ruined the world.

When people advocate racism and oppression, I don't want to listen to them anymore. I don't want to meet them halfway, and I don't want to elect anyone who does. Civility and compromise did not gain us independence, end slavery, give women the right to vote, shorten the work week to 40 hours, nor anything else of lasting consequence in our history. If you want to understand where I'm coming from, you need to understand that people in my ideological wheelhouse want to transform society, not maintain its stability or return it to a prior state. That's the most important thing that has to happen, and harping on about meeting in the middle and making incremental changes is nothing but an obstacle to it, even though when the dust clears everybody who makes those noises pats themselves on the back thinking it was all their doing. I have nothing against you or liberals personally, but unfortunately you're at least as much of an enemy politically as conservatives are.

Nobody is talking about compromising with racists, killers, or any other type of harmful extremists. :rolleyes: And, it's so nice of you to judge me by calling me an enemy. I strongly disagree with your positions, but I don't refer to you as an enemy. I just think you are not being realistic, assuming you still support communism or pure socialism.
In not as many words, that's all I meant by "enemy". It's nothing personal, but your political efforts move in a tangential direction to mine, so to the extent that you vote for what you think is the right direction for the country, I believe it's the wrong one.

Have you ever seriously studied the impact of communism or pure socialism with an open mind? It might look good on paper, but it's never worked out very well. It's always lead to more poverty, less innovation, and corruption by the leaders. I was a socialist during my late teens because I didn't know any better. I had this utopian dream where we would all have a nice middle class life style, decent paying jobs etc. That's not what happens in communist or socialist countries. What happens is such systems stifle creativity and new ideas. Free speech is attacked. The leaders become corrupt, while the people suffer in poverty. I'm not referring to countries which mix elements of capitalism and socialism, which are often places where people are happier and don't have to worry about their basic needs. But, there are still some extremely wealthy people in those countries. Why should I care, as long as other people have their basic needs?
There is a lot of Cold War propaganda here to unpack, but it's not really germane to this discussion. We're talking about the Democratic 2020 primary, not becoming a communist state. Communism as it existed in the 20th century is an enormously complex topic that benefits from much more nuance than you're giving it by simply equating all of the negative outcomes with the label "communism".

I support well regulated capitalism with an excellent social safety net, and more progressive taxes. The extreme wealth inequality that we currently have in the world, not just in the US, is immoral and harmful imo. But, if Bernie makes a million from his book, I don't care, anymore than I would care if my neighbor has twice the amount of wealth that I have. I abhor unnecessary wars and excessive wasteful military spending. I want the minimum wage to be raised and SS and Medicare/Medicaid to remain solvent. Most importantly, I want a cleaner environment and an emphasis on transitioning to cleaner sources of energy. I want racial and sexual equality. I want UHC, but there are many ways of doing that. But, I also realize that everything that I want is unlikely to happen, at least not in my lifetime. I will at least hope that we make some progress. Right now, our biggest problem is the man in the WH.
This is where we will always disagree, because if you want all those things and abhor all those things, our biggest problem isn't the President, it's capitalism. Literally every single one of the issues you identified is either created or exacerbated by it, because its driving impulse is to accumulate capital and preserve power structures based on wealth. If you see this as a problem with regulation, then I encourage you to read some of what has been written by actual critics of capitalism, like Richard Wolff or Naomi Klein, on why regulations don't stick (and they don't; the ones put into place after the depression didn't stop the system from imploding again in 2007).

I spent my entire working life advocating for people who were often poor and in need of help, but as a professional nurse it was always extremely important to me, not to ever judge my patients, not even when they were conservatives or religious fanatics. I was there to care for them when they were powerless and dependent. That doesn't make me any better than you, but may I ask you, other than insulting people who disagree with your politics, what exactly have you done to make the lives of anyone better? None of us can change the world in significant ways, but most of us can do little things for people that help make their day a little better. Insulting people that you disagree with on the internet certainly doesn't qualify as an accomplishment. Why attack people who disagree with you? It certainly doesn't change minds. Being unable to understand that we all must compromise every single day of our lives might help you understand why your views seem extremist to most of us.
I attack people who disagree with me because I think the topic of disagreement is an important one and that my view is correct and theirs is wrong. Is there something unacceptable about that? What are people who have passionate views about what human society should look like, when the stakes are this high and things are this bad, supposed to do if not challenge those whose ideas and behaviors are obstacles to achieving a better future for everyone? Why does compromise always refer to a compromise between the center and the right?

FiveThirtyEight has come out with an interesting survey of trends among Democratic activists (as opposed to rank and file): We Asked Democratic Activists Who They’re Backing — And Who They’d Hate To See Win.

The article looks at trends since the beginning of the year, but the most interesting thing about it was that it looked at negative feelings--which candidates the activists were most opposed to. Not surprisingly, Kamala Harris was not number one on most lists, but she still had the highest average favorability rating. She also was the one candidate that most found least objectionable. Although Bernie Sanders rated high with some activists--again, unsurprisingly--he had one of the highest unfavorability ratings (just under Gabbard, who was in first place for rejection).

Bear in mind that this survey is only about the ratings among activists, not voters.

PH said:
I attack people who disagree with me because I think the topic of disagreement is an important one and that my view is correct and theirs is wrong. Is there something unacceptable about that? What are people who have passionate views about what human society should look like, when the stakes are this high and things are this bad, supposed to do if not challenge those whose ideas and behaviors are obstacles to achieving a better future for everyone? Why does compromise always refer to a compromise between the center and the right?

But, but but, I think that I'm right and you're wrong. :D I believe it's okay to attack ideas, but not people. And, even when you attack ideas, it's best to give a very good explanation as to why you don't agree. I don't believe in freewill when it comes to moral values, behavior and ideology, so imo, it's wrong to attack people. You might be just like them if you had the same background and influences. It's possible to change a person's opinion, but you don't do it by attacking them. When you simply attack people, it can easily backfire. Think of Clinton when she called Trump supporters deplorable. That phrase was constantly used against her and may have influenced the election in a negative way. Of course, when you hold absolutist views, you can't see any difference between a Clinton presidency and a Trump presidency because neither of them meet your narrow criteria of what you believe is right or wrong. At least that's how it comes across to me. Since I don't hold a narrow minded radical view, I can see the positives in something while not expecting it to meet all of my desires or goals.

I have no idea why you think that compromise is always between the center and the right. Maybe we have different definitions of what the center and the right mean. Compromise is simply taking the other group or person's views into consideration when achieving something. If the entire country was far left and left of center, then compromise would be between those two factions. If the entire country was center right and far right, those two groups would need to compromise. Our country is all over the place with far right and far left groups not wanting to compromise. But, if you take a far right and a far left group who want to accomplish a goal, the solution is likely to be in the center. Otherwise, we stay stagnant and accomplish nothing.

Anyway, I've tried to make my point, so I'll leave it at that for now. I have no desire to simply argue for the sake of disagreement.

FiveThirtyEight has come out with an interesting survey of trends among Democratic activists (as opposed to rank and file): We Asked Democratic Activists Who They’re Backing — And Who They’d Hate To See Win.

The article looks at trends since the beginning of the year, but the most interesting thing about it was that it looked at negative feelings--which candidates the activists were most opposed to. Not surprisingly, Kamala Harris was not number one on most lists, but she still had the highest average favorability rating. She also was the one candidate that most found least objectionable. Although Bernie Sanders rated high with some activists--again, unsurprisingly--he had one of the highest unfavorability ratings (just under Gabbard, who was in first place for rejection).

Bear in mind that this survey is only about the ratings among activists, not voters.

There are some potentially scary trends in this poll.

Bernie Sanders came in first place for the first time since RealClearPolitics has tracked the 2020 field, dethroning Joe Biden.

26% of current Bernie Sanders supporters said that they would rather vote for President Donald Trump over Senator Elizabeth Warren, if that were the eventual 2020 matchup.
Fuck the bernie bros. They aren't actually progressives. I'm not even sure why they would (theoretically, if one believes them) vote for Bernie.

PH said:

But, but but, I think that I'm right and you're wrong. :D I believe it's okay to attack ideas, but not people. And, even when you attack ideas, it's best to give a very good explanation as to why you don't agree. I don't believe in freewill when it comes to moral values, behavior and ideology, so imo, it's wrong to attack people. You might be just like them if you had the same background and influences. It's possible to change a person's opinion, but you don't do it by attacking them.
I actually agree, but it doesn't change anything, since you're giving me suggestions on how I should conduct myself with ideological opponents as if I had the free will to do otherwise.

Since I don't hold a narrow minded radical view, I can see the positives in something while not expecting it to meet all of my desires or goals.
What you are calling "a narrow minded radical view" is what I am calling "an ethical objection to something that is accepted as normal by liberals and centrists". It's not a matter of failing to see the right balance of positives and negatives in something, it's a matter of having the view that a particular policy or approach is so negative that no positives can outweigh it, or so positive that its negatives can be safely ignored. If it's really, truly the case that nobody should go without their basic needs being met, and almost everybody with a chance at power is satisfied with vast numbers of people going without their basic needs being met, the time for compromise is over. If it's actually very bad and evil to kill many innocent people to further the goals of big business, then there is no silver lining to look for in any candidate whose platform contains or apologizes for that. None. The proper response to egregious violations of the foundational moral principles good people hold dear is righteous anger, not docile and strategic posturing.

I have no idea why you think that compromise is always between the center and the right. Maybe we have different definitions of what the center and the right mean.
That's definitely true.

Compromise is simply taking the other group or person's views into consideration when achieving something. If the entire country was far left and left of center, then compromise would be between those two factions. If the entire country was center right and far right, those two groups would need to compromise. Our country is all over the place with far right and far left groups not wanting to compromise. But, if you take a far right and a far left group who want to accomplish a goal, the solution is likely to be in the center. Otherwise, we stay stagnant and accomplish nothing.
No. The side that should win is the one that has good and rational ideas that don't treat people like chattel slaves or cannon fodder; having a difference of opinion on those basic matters of human value isn't something that needs to be taken into consideration by anyone who is serious about what they believe. Time and time again, we have reached across the aisle to accommodate these ghouls, who have used the opportunity to slide further and further into a proto-fascist cult while vociferously opposing everything to the left of Nixon. That's never accomplished anything durable. Social, civil, and economic change has always happened as a result of radical action from masses of fed up people. Every time, they were characterized as wild-eyed extremists. Every time, half-measures were pushed forward by centrists as realistic, practical steps to whatever was being demanded (an end to slavery, the right of women to vote, etc.), not seeing the moral gravity of the situation; if they did, they would know that nobody with a conscience could abide anything less than the whole package. The right response, then and now, was to firmly repudiate the more liberal-minded slaveowners who had bright ideas to improve the living conditions of their slaves so they would be more comfortable, or the progressives who were willing to give women a vote that counted for half as much as a man's.

The reason you don't understand me is perhaps because you don't see anything in our current political climate that rises to this historic level of wrongness, and think I'm being hyperbolic to invoke them as examples. If you had a strong perspective about something like human freedom from endless work imposed by capital, or the rights of Palestinians not to be surrounded by an encroaching wave of ethnic cleansing, then you wouldn't see the point in finding a middle ground on these issues, and you would take offense to anybody who chided you for not being more open-minded.

Maybe you do have such an opinion about something like a woman's right to choose to end her pregnancy; imagine if the prevailing debate in this country was between those who felt women who get abortions should be put to death and those who believed they should only serve time in prison. Would you be so even-handed about taking all the pros and cons of each position into account, when both represent a total distortion of what should actually be done? I doubt it. You would feel the need to constantly question both, and while the ones advocating for the death penalty were obviously more monstrous, you'd feel a special kind of frustration and scorn for their opponents advocating for prison, because the energy they spent opposing the first group--for what is clearly the wrong reasons--could be used so much more productively if they just stopped caring about meeting them halfway.

So, if you value having an open mind, you should consider the possibility that to the left of your position on the spectrum is a large, nuanced, and varied school of thought on society and how it is structured, and from this vantage point most of American politics seems like the debate about how severely to punish women who get abortions would probably seem to you. Something deep in the bedrock is lacking in someone who genuinely thinks we should settle for imprisonment of such women, and spends more time chiding the "absolutists" than fighting the death penalty advocates. In that case, it's the recognition that women have absolute and irrevocable autonomy over their bodies. In the case of the left versus the right, it comes down to how you feel about capitalism. What I meant by my comment about compromise is that the entirety of left-wing thinking flows from the desire to overthrow and replace capitalism with something else, yet all of the compromise that takes place in our society is among supporters of it. I don't see Clinton and Trump as equivalent, just as you wouldn't see the two factions of pro-lifers as equivalent, but I see liberals and conservatives as the left and right wing of the right wing, and I think my attitude towards both is reflective of the distance between both and where I'm coming from.

There are some potentially scary trends in this poll.

Bernie Sanders came in first place for the first time since RealClearPolitics has tracked the 2020 field, dethroning Joe Biden.

26% of current Bernie Sanders supporters said that they would rather vote for President Donald Trump over Senator Elizabeth Warren, if that were the eventual 2020 matchup.
Fuck the bernie bros. They aren't actually progressives. I'm not even sure why they would (theoretically, if one believes them) vote for Bernie.

Nate polled 23 people total. I wouldn't take it as anything other than an interesting observation about those four people who supported Bernie.

Back
Top Bottom