• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pinned Folding team - The Godless Ones

Denotes a thread or post that is permanently displayed at the top of the subforum.
w00t! I hit 6M points late last night!

Just keep folding, just keep folding ...

False alarm. Increase in participation merely result of system adjustments. Still just a few of us here.

Yeah, I actually figured that out after a while and nothing changed. Then I read the notes and saw that that's exactly what happened. I'll admit, I got a bit excited briefly too.

Oh my, I've let a couple of pages go by without a link to the stats page! Also, had to check in here because somehow, Firefox seems to have dumped all of my browser history and my bookmarks as well. I figured how you're supposed to be able to restore bookmarks, but it doesn't work. :(

I'm trying folding again. I seem to recall w..a..y back in the day that you could watch the folding process. It was kind of mesmerizing. I don't see that now.

I'm trying folding again. I seem to recall w..a..y back in the day that you could watch the folding process. It was kind of mesmerizing. I don't see that now.

Well, welcome back, then! Always glad to see people come back to the team.

OK, as to your issue, here's what I found: if like me, you have an icon in the lower right of your screen, you can click on that and then select 'Protein viewer' from the menu, or if clicking brings up the advanced control panel (as it seems to do for me at home), there is a button on the right labelled 'Protein viewer' which will bring up the visualization you're looking for. Is this (below) the kind of thing you're thinking of?

fah-v7-viewer.jpg

In a PS to my post of 2 days ago, after exploring some ideas, when I next re-opened my browser, all of my bookmarks were back, as was the address bar drop-down history. So, problem solved, I guess. Though it did get me to thinking perhaps I should save my bookmarks as links in a text file and save a backup off the machine somewhere.

Well, welcome back, then! Always glad to see people come back to the team.

OK, as to your issue, here's what I found: if like me, you have an icon in the lower right of your screen, you can click on that and then select 'Protein viewer' from the menu, or if clicking brings up the advanced control panel (as it seems to do for me at home), there is a button on the right labelled 'Protein viewer' which will bring up the visualization you're looking for. Is this (below) the kind of thing you're thinking of?

fah-v7-viewer.jpg

Slows your fold rate a bit if you're using your GPU.

OK guys. prepare for a drop in rankings. One of my fans is acting up so I have to take the GPU off line. My son will continue for a while at about 300 K per day. It's been nice.

OK. So I cleaned the computer again and now it seems to be running fine. As a precaution I've ordered replacement blowers for the 1080 and I'm scheduling maintenance at our local computer shop. Yes, we have one, a pretty good one, here in speederfundus. Until then, unless otherwise indicated, I'm back up and running in the interim.

Happy dase?

My laptop keeps shutting itself down due to overheating. I seem to recall having this issue the last time. Any ideas to help? I have it set to Power - light. Fans are working. This is a less than 1 year old device.

My laptop keeps shutting itself down due to overheating. I seem to recall having this issue the last time. Any ideas to help? I have it set to Power - light. Fans are working. This is a less than 1 year old device.

How much dust/fluff does it contain? If you have pets, it could be a surprisingly large amount.

Try vacuuming the air inlet/outlet holes - or if you are confident about putting it back together, disassemble the case and clean everything with vacuum or compressed air, paying particular attention to the heatsink(s).

How much dust/fluff does it contain? If you have pets, it could be a surprisingly large amount.

Try vacuuming the air inlet/outlet holes - or if you are confident about putting it back together, disassemble the case and clean everything with vacuum or compressed air, paying particular attention to the heatsink(s).

You have an excellent point. I have a cat and a rabbit. I'll give that a try.

Can we expect to see you back actively folding again any time soon? ;)

For those who despise success I'm still over 10k WU's behind our team leader.

Interesting: I have more than half as many WU's as you, but less than 1% of your point total.

eta: OK, I was going to make a separate post about overall numbers, but the above got me looking into the pts/WU numbers.

So, I'm using numbers as of just before the 12pm update on 3 Jan 19. You, fromderinside, not only have a high point total, but a fairly high WU total, though as you said, not the most WUs. Still, for your efforts, I think it's safe to say yours is the second highest pts/WU total at roughly 31,383.25.

The WU-leader, Hawxhurst, who as you said has about 10k more WU's than you, only has averaged around 1,569 pts/WU.
The highest pts/WU belongs to the #2 contributor on our team, HammerSquirrel, with 60,812.81
bigfield (#8) comes in with 27086.77
Schrodinger\\'s Outlaw is at 16,129.55
Hot burning Never is "only" at 8,688.55

For reference, with over 15,000 WU's, my own average is 410.37. IIRC, it used to be about double that, but since I started using the Chrome extension on my work PC, it has churned out a ton of WU's, but each only giving me 125 pts. So, that has served to kill my average, but given me steady progress.

Now, for the numbers I was originally going to post about: yearly stats. Early last year, I decided to keep track of how we were doing in 2018 vs 2017. Today, as I updated my spreadsheet, I noticed something interesting*: our combined numbers starting with January 2017 through today account for roughly 2/3 of the team's total points! 2017-2019 account for (at the time of me writing this) 810,337,655 points. Which means that pre-2017 accounted for only 467,468,780 points. That total is only about 10% more than what we did in 2017 alone! And a very rough estimate of 2016, gleaned from the team monthly stats, puts that year in the ~300M point ballpark. So, pre-2016 was only around 100M total points.

Here are the past 2 years numbers:
2017: 425,522,137
2018: 382,278,478

Can't wait to see what we do in 2019!

*interesting to me, anyway. I'm a numbers guy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom