• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

Last night I attempted to replicate a meal I had in a restaurant last week.

I poured about 20ml each of soy sauce and lemon juice over a fillet of Basa fish and popped it in the oven to cook.

In a frying pan I added one sliced chorizo, 1/2 dozen sliced mushrooms, a sliced onion and three roughly chopped tomatoes. I then added 20ml of soy and 20ml of balsamic vinegar and let it stew down before adding some continental parsley.

It was delicious and I regret not getting a picture.

Tried my hand at grilling lobster, yesterday. All the finicky eaters in the family were out of town, so no flat refusals to come to the table, or comparisons to 'I saw this fossil this one time..."

Pretty tasty. Dumb luck, managed not to over/under cook them on the first try. Served with baked potato and grilled corn on the cob. So, butter everywhere.

Kinda weird, how long they kept twitching after I killed them, though. And that might not have been so bad if the damned things weren't so alien looking... All those legs and things flinching and waving...

Tried my hand at grilling lobster, yesterday. All the finicky eaters in the family were out of town, so no flat refusals to come to the table, or comparisons to 'I saw this fossil this one time..."

Pretty tasty. Dumb luck, managed not to over/under cook them on the first try. Served with baked potato and grilled corn on the cob. So, butter everywhere.

Kinda weird, how long they kept twitching after I killed them, though. And that might not have been so bad if the damned things weren't so alien looking... All those legs and things flinching and waving...

"Biggest bug i ever et." Clint Eastwood from one of his early westerns where he was served a lobster dinner.

breadtopping.jpg

OK, so this requires a bit of explanation.

I have this "bread dipping mush" that I keep in the 'fridge. My memory is rusty, but it's

Bread Dipping Mush
  • minced Chicago style giardiniera
  • minced garlic
  • roughly chopped olives (more torn than chopped to be honest, I make a mess getting the pits out)
  • olive oil
  • rock salt (some crushed some in big chunks)
  • cracked black pepper
  • crushed red pepper.

Any time I have relatively nice bread leftover from something, I dip it in this. Every so often, I add olive oil and if necessary other stuff. For example, if I get a few nice olives from the olive bar at the local grocery, then have a few leftover after making my salad or whatever, they get a rough chop and get tossed in the little "bread dipping mush" container.

At this point, I'm no longer 100% sure what all is in that little plastic container. There might be some diced sun-dried tomatoes in there for all I know.

Anyway, yesterday I bought two loaves of French baguette because that's how they're sold at the grocery. Used one last night, but today I had to get rid of a whole loaf of day old French bread, so I cut it into slices and shmeared it with my "dipping mush" and baked it for 10 minutes at 350[ent]deg[/ent]F.

toast.jpg

Since the intent of the dipping mush was to flavor the olive oil, then dip bread into the olive oil, it turned out a bit saltier than I intended, but otherwise it seemed like a nice way to get rid of old bread. Maybe next time I'll smear on less of the mush. Also, I would have liked more browning, so perhaps a higher temperature next time.

View attachment 16097

OK, so this requires a bit of explanation.

I have this "bread dipping mush" that I keep in the 'fridge. My memory is rusty, but it's

Bread Dipping Mush
  • minced Chicago style giardiniera
  • minced garlic
  • roughly chopped olives (more torn than chopped to be honest, I make a mess getting the pits out)
  • olive oil
  • rock salt (some crushed some in big chunks)
  • cracked black pepper
  • crushed red pepper.

Any time I have relatively nice bread leftover from something, I dip it in this. Every so often, I add olive oil and if necessary other stuff. For example, if I get a few nice olives from the olive bar at the local grocery, then have a few leftover after making my salad or whatever, they get a rough chop and get tossed in the little "bread dipping mush" container.

At this point, I'm no longer 100% sure what all is in that little plastic container. There might be some diced sun-dried tomatoes in there for all I know.

Anyway, yesterday I bought two loaves of French baguette because that's how they're sold at the grocery. Used one last night, but today I had to get rid of a whole loaf of day old French bread, so I cut it into slices and shmeared it with my "dipping mush" and baked it for 10 minutes at 350[ent]deg[/ent]F.

View attachment 16098

Since the intent of the dipping mush was to flavor the olive oil, then dip bread into the olive oil, it turned out a bit saltier than I intended, but otherwise it seemed like a nice way to get rid of old bread. Maybe next time I'll smear on less of the mush. Also, I would have liked more browning, so perhaps a higher temperature next time.

Nice!

Thanks.

If I seem to use Chicago giardiniera in lots of stuff, it's because I do.

I'm not originally from Chicago, so I have an outsider's view of some of the things around here. Chicago style giardiniera is one of the most magical ingredients I've ever encountered. It has a lovely vegetable crunch, yet stays crunchy even after baking it into a pizza, and thanks to the Serrano chile peppers, it packs a big flavor punch. The truly insane thing about Chicago style giardiniera is that Chicagoans only use it as an optional ingredient in one particular sandwich.

Why would any people create something that wonderful and use it so sparingly? It's nuts, I tell you.

Thanks.

If I seem to use Chicago giardiniera in lots of stuff, it's because I do.

I'm not originally from Chicago, so I have an outsider's view of some of the things around here. Chicago style giardiniera is one of the most magical ingredients I've ever encountered. It has a lovely vegetable crunch, yet stays crunchy even after baking it into a pizza, and thanks to the Serrano chile peppers, it packs a big flavor punch. The truly insane thing about Chicago style giardiniera is that Chicagoans only use it as an optional ingredient in one particular sandwich.

Why would any people create something that wonderful and use it so sparingly? It's nuts, I tell you.

I had to look up Chicago Giardiniera. Hmmmmm.

You can buy it from a variety of online vendors (e.g. Amazon) these days if you want to check it out.

https://chicago.seriouseats.com/2013/11/taste-test-the-best-giardiniera.html

Personally, I usually buy Dell'Alpe or Alpino brand, but that's just me.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/foodfocus/ct-giardiniera-chicago-history-food-0524-story.html

I disagree with one thing in the above article. Most Chicagoans I know pronounce it "jar-din-air" not "jar-din-air-a." I can only imagine that our pronunciation must make Italians cringe.

Currently roasting some beets, carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, and cabbage. I'm going to eat it in wraps with ranch dressing. I'd like to grill them but I don't have a grill. I think this is my new favorite thing. I'm sure I'll be eating it for months before I get tired of it.

Currently roasting some beets, carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, and cabbage. I'm going to eat it in wraps with ranch dressing. I'd like to grill them but I don't have a grill. I think this is my new favorite thing. I'm sure I'll be eating it for months before I get tired of it.

Bilby and I just picked up a toaster oven that sits on the Ben top for $40AUD brand new from KMart. It works great as a grill or as an oven. Maybe you could find something similar. I love it as I can cook my vegetables on low and my pork Belly strip on high and get the crackling good!

Bilby and I just picked up a toaster oven that sits on the Ben top for $40AUD brand new from KMart. It works great as a grill or as an oven. Maybe you could find something similar. I love it as I can cook my vegetables on low and my pork Belly strip on high and get the crackling good!

Good idea. I may have one of those in storage if I didn't give it away last time I moved. Those are great for roasting or broiling in the summer when the regular oven can heat up the house too much.

Back
Top Bottom