• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged Gaza just launched an unprovoked attack on Israel

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
Summary

Israel: Hey, just to be clear, we're definitely not committing genocide over here.

UN: Oh, awesome, that's literally in our top ten list of 'Things We'd Really Prefer You Didn't Do.' No genocide, big thumbs up from us.

Israel: Wait, what? How dare you be okay with us not doing something terrible! This is outrageous!

Home | INTERNATIONAL COURT OF JUSTICE
The court has released a preliminary injunction:
Order of 26 January 2024 - 192-20240126-ord-01-00-en.pdf
"APPLICATION OF THE CONVENTION ON THE PREVENTION AND PUNISHMENT OF THE CRIME OF GENOCIDE IN THE GAZA STRIP" in SOUTH AFRICA v. ISRAEL

What the court decreed:
1) ... The State of Israel shall, in accordance with its obligations under the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, in relation to Palestinians in Gaza, take all measures within its power to prevent the commission of all acts within the scope of Article II of this Convention, in particular

(a) killing members of the group;
(b) causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; and
(d) imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;

2) ...The State of Israel shall ensure with immediate effect that its military does not commit any acts described in point 1 above;

(3) ... The State of Israel shall take all measures within its power to prevent and punish the direct and public incitement to commit genocide in relation to members of the Palestinian group in the Gaza Strip;

4) ... The State of Israel shall take immediate and effective measures to enable the provision of urgently needed basic services and humanitarian assistance to address the adverse conditions of life faced by Palestinians in the Gaza Strip;

(5) ... The State of Israel shall take effective measures to prevent the destruction and ensure the preservation of evidence related to allegations of acts within the scope of Article II and Article III of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide against members of the Palestinian group in the Gaza Strip;

(6) ... The State of Israel shall submit a report to the Court on all measures taken to give effect to this Order within one month as from the date of this Order.
This ruling will have no effect. Israel is already following the stated rules.
Evidence-free assertion.
They just want to be seen doing something without actually doing anything
They have found abundant evidence otherwise. Read South Africa's filing.

South Africa's filing is just bullshit. If I was in Ramaphosas shoes, I too would do everything I can to distract his citizens of what a shit job his government is doing.

The Guardian view on Gazan genocide charges: Israel finds itself with a plausible case to answer | Editorial | The Guardian
Israel is a signatory to the Geneva conventions, over which the ICJ has jurisdiction. It should comply with the court’s ruling immediately, and preserve evidence related to the case. The ICJ rightly did not spare Hamas, demanding that the hostages it holds must be freed. The militant group’s role in death and destruction should not be forgotten. While South Africa welcomed the measures describing the ruling as a “decisive victory for the international rule of law”, Israel’s national security minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, posted on X saying “Hague schmague”, and the defence minister, Yoav Gallant, said his country did “not need to be lectured on morality”. Such words will see Israel isolated in the world.
איתמר בן גביר on X: "האג שמאג 🇮🇱" / X - I can read the Hebrew alphabet, and IBG did indeed post "Hague Schmague".

Not exactly bragging about Israel's compliance.

Or, they know they are complying already and poking fun at the ruling. What's more likely?

Israels biggest problem this conflict is that Hammas is on purpose making it hard to distinguish fighters from civilians. They're also having suicide bombers wave white flags and use every possible method to trick IDF into killing civilians. Hammas is one if the most despicable organisations ever to have existed

The main issue now is that the barbarity of the 7/10 attack showed that Hammas cannot be allowed to operate freely, anywhere bordering Israel. And since they have popular support from the Palestinians, Israel needs to take over handling security from now on. There's just no other way. Israel just needs to do whatever they need to do to succeed.

The degree of barbarity in the Hammas attack, and the behaviour of Hammas, I think, gives Israel a free pass to not be so concerned about civilians. At this point a dead Palestinian civilian gives Hammas blood on their hands. Not Israel. Israel is just doing what it needs to do to defend itself.

And again, we must not let Hammas get away with using their own people as human shields. If we reward that they'll just keep doing it. It's just an unacceptable behaviour

The main issue now is that the barbarity of the 7/10 attack showed that Hammas cannot be allowed to operate freely, anywhere bordering Israel. And since they have popular support from the Palestinians, Israel needs to take over handling security from now on. There's just no other way. Israel just needs to do whatever they need to do to succeed.

The degree of barbarity in the Hammas attack, and the behaviour of Hammas, I think, gives Israel a free pass to not be so concerned about civilians. At this point a dead Palestinian civilian gives Hammas blood on their hands. Not Israel. Israel is just doing what it needs to do to defend itself.

And again, we must not let Hammas get away with using their own people as human shields. If we reward that they'll just keep doing it. It's just an unacceptable behaviour

Two words. International Law. Get familiar.

Lol.

Lol.

I laughed at your total disregard for international law & you laughed at international laws. You should sign up to join Hamas.

Lol.

I laughed at your total disregard for international law & you laughed at international laws. You should sign up to join Hamas.
No. I laughed at your fantasy of superior understanding of international law

Hammas has integrated their military infrastructure within and under civilian infrastructure. Their defence strategy was probably to force the IDF to crawl through the tunnels and room by room fighting. That would be suicide for the IDF.

The only practical plan is to move the citizens into isolated camps, where civilians can systematically be screened from fighters, while the houses are demolished by artillery. And then use IDF to mop up what's left. This way civilian casualties are minimised. If the IDF would just go in guns blazing, the civilian casualties would, of course, be higher.

Israel is doing its best to avoid civilian casualties. Any other conclusion is just you seeing what you want to see.

This conflict is unique in the way that it has so much international attention, that generating PR and good will is more important than any military objective. The IDF are always extremely careful. There is no case of them committing atrocities. It would be suicide for Israel as a nation.

The problem Israel has is a bunch of cunty sttlers being cunty. This are idiots hated by all other Israelis. They do what they can, within legal means to contain them. But they use every legal loophole they can to annoy the Palestinians. But Iarael does its best to stop them.

There's no evidence the Palestinians is making any effort to stop Hammas. Quite the contrary

Why would anyone proposing carte blanche to killing non-combatants expect to be taken seriously?

The claim that killing thousands of non- combatants, many of whom are children, is necessary to achieve safety from vicious terrorist attacks is breathtakingly insane.

Why would anyone proposing carte blanche to killing non-combatants expect to be taken seriously?

The claim that killing thousands of non- combatants, many of whom are children, is necessary to achieve safety from vicious terrorist attacks is breathtakingly insane.

I agree. Which is why I didn’t say that

Yes you did with your “ free pass” comment (see bold-faced sentences).

Last edited:
I don't think Zoid phrased that well, but he's correct.
Islamic terrorists get a free pass on using human shields. That's the big problem Gazans are having right now. Gazans using other Gazans as human shields, including children.

Where's the UN, international law, or the ICJ? They're busy explaining to the media that Israelis are the problem.

I see that as virulent anti-semitism. It's also destroying the Palestinians, not just the Zionists.
Tom

There's no way you can make the infrence you did from my comment, if you are honest.

The blood of the children is on the hands of Hammas. They’re doing everything they can to maximise Palestinian civilian casualties. Israel is doing their best not to. But Hammas are despicable people

I don't think Zoid phrased that well, but he's correct.
Islamic terrorists get a free pass on using human shields. That's the big problem Gazans are having right now. Gazans using other Gazans as human shields, including children.

Where's the UN, international law, or the ICJ? They're busy explaining to the media that Israelis are the problem.

I see that as virulent anti-semitism. It's also destroying the Palestinians, not just the Zionists.
Tom
The UN seems to have its hands full at the moment...

UNRWA claims: UK halts aid to UN agency over allegation staff helped Hamas attack

The UK has become the latest country to pause funding for the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA.

It comes after the agency announced the sacking of several of its staff over allegations they were involved in the 7 October Hamas attacks.

The UK government said it was "appalled" by the allegations made by Israel.

The US, Australia, Italy, Canada and Finland have already suspended additional funding to the UN agency.

Created in 1949, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, UNRWA, is the biggest UN agency operating in Gaza. It provides health care, education and other humanitarian aid to Palestinians in Gaza, the West Bank, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria. It employs around 13,000 people inside Gaza.

There's no way you can make the infrence you did from my comment, if you are honest.
While I can understand you did not intend to convey such a message, "gives Israel a free pass to be snot o concerned about civilians" does suggest carte blanche for the IDF. And the tone of your entire discussion in this thread reinforces that sentiment. Perhaps you should read what you write with a more disinterested honest eye.

The blood of the children is on the hands of Hammas. They’re doing everything they can to maximise Palestinian civilian casualties. Israel is doing their best not to. But Hammas are despicable people
The blood of the children is on Hamas and the IDF. The IDF is dropping those bombs.

This might be potentially good news. Let's hope. Article is not behind a pay wall, using up my gifts before the month runs out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/27/...e_code=1.RE0.hJyl.fYCrX4MHNFkd&smid=url-share

American-led negotiators are edging closer to an agreement in which Israel would suspend its war in Gaza for about two months in exchange for the release of more than 100 hostages still held by Hamas, a deal that could be sealed in the next two weeks and would transform the conflict consuming the region.

Negotiators have developed a written draft agreement merging proposals offered by Israel and Hamas in the last 10 days into a basic framework that will be the subject of talks in Paris on Sunday. While there are still important disagreements to be worked out, negotiators are cautiously optimistic that a final accord is within reach, according to U.S. officials who insisted on anonymity to discuss sensitive talks.

President Biden spoke by phone separately Friday with the leaders of Egypt and Qatar, who have served as intermediaries with Hamas, to narrow the remaining differences. He is also sending his C.I.A. director, William J. Burns, to Paris for Sunday’s talks with Israeli, Egyptian and Qatari officials. If Mr. Burns makes enough progress, Mr. Biden may then send his Middle East coordinator, Brett McGurk, who just returned to Washington, back to the region to help finalize the agreement.

“Both leaders affirmed that a hostage deal is central to establishing a prolonged humanitarian pause in the fighting and ensure additional lifesaving humanitarian assistance reaches civilians in need throughout Gaza,” the White House said in a statement Friday night summarizing the president’s conversation with Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al-Thani, Qatar’s prime minister. “They underscored the urgency of the situation and welcomed the close cooperation among their teams to advance recent discussions.”

How many prisoners does Hamas want for this deal? A Shalit-like deal would not be in Israel's interest. That's how Yaya Sinwar and several other terrorists involved in the 10/7 massacre were freed.
Any deal should involve no more than a 3x exchange rate and should not involve any terrorists serving life terms. None of the Barghoutis (Marwan, Abudullah nor Nael) should be eligible for example.

How many prisoners does Hamas want for this deal? A Shalit-like deal would not be in Israel's interest. That's how Yaya Sinwar and several other terrorists involved in the 10/7 massacre were freed.
Any deal should involve no more than a 3x exchange rate and should not involve any terrorists serving life terms. None of the Barghoutis (Marwan, Abudullah nor Nael) should be eligible for example.

Perhaps the ratio should be the same as that for Palestinian vs Israeli casualties since 10/7. Just to maintain some sense of proportionality.

Back
Top Bottom