• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged Gaza just launched an unprovoked attack on Israel

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
The main issue now is that the barbarity of the 7/10 attack showed that Hammas cannot be allowed to operate freely, anywhere bordering Israel. ...
Presumably justifying much bigger war crimes. :p

DrZoidberg, if you made a pass at a woman and she snipped off some cherished bits with garden shears, would she be justified in doing so by claiming that you wanted to rape her?

That's a remarkably ill informed interpretation.
How about:
"If lpetrich threatened to rape a woman, then ripped off her dress, then shoved himself into her, would fighting back however she could be blameworthy? Would shooting you be "disproportionate"?

I don't think so.
Tom
How about shooting through a crowd of the rapist’s friends he decided to hide behind? Would that be disproportionate? I mean, they are friends with a rapist; that doesn’t seem a good thing.

How about shooting through a crowd of the rapist’s friends he decided to hide behind? Would that be disproportionate? I mean, they are friends with a rapist; that doesn’t seem a good thing.

Did they crowd up to protect him?
Details like that matter.
If they knew what his plan was, but didn't stop him, just bunched up around him because he told them to, then no.
It wasn't disproportionate, whatever that means.
Tom

Hammas has integrated their military infrastructure within and under civilian infrastructure. Their defence strategy was probably to force the IDF to crawl through the tunnels and room by room fighting. That would be suicide for the IDF.

The only practical plan is to move the citizens into isolated camps, where civilians can systematically be screened from fighters, while the houses are demolished by artillery. And then use IDF to mop up what's left. This way civilian casualties are minimised. If the IDF would just go in guns blazing, the civilian casualties would, of course, be higher.
Curious, how in the fuck is that remotely "practical"? Let's just say they were able to do so, cleanly, without obstruction, how are they constructing camps for millions to house, feed, manage all other aspects, etc... while Israel determines whether people are Hamas or not?

Sometimes we need to do things that aren't practical. But if there's no options, we'll just have to do the best we can.
Okay, so when you said practical, you meant the exact opposite of it.
The problem Israel has is a bunch of cunty sttlers being cunty.
One of them is the PM of Israel. Helped get another PM assassinated by another radical.

Netanyahu has thrown the crazies on the right a couple of bones to get re-elected. I’m not a conservative. I'd never vote for the guy. But he's no more an extremist than Reagan, Bush or Trump.
Netanyahu fanned ghe flames that got Rabin assassinated. He is a flat out extremist.
There's no evidence the Palestinians is making any effort to stop Hammas. Quite the contrary
Always with the passive aggressive line of attack by some... Israel isn't targeting civilians... but then retorting that the Palestinians don't deserve mercy.

Israel needs to do this. Israel has no options. The Palestinians can make it easy or hard. But its going to happen
You know, you talk out of both sides of the mouth so often I'm uncertain how you can expect anyone to know what you actually mean.

Always with the passive aggressive line of attack by some... Israel isn't targeting civilians... but then retorting that the Palestinians don't deserve mercy.
Who said anything like "Palestinians don't deserve mercy"?
Well, the people who have broadbrushed the actions of Hamas onto them, both in the real world and in this thread.

Well, the people who have broadbrushed the actions of Hamas onto them, both in the real world and in this thread.

I certainly haven't.
Which poster in this thread has done that?
Tom

Hammas has integrated their military infrastructure within and under civilian infrastructure. Their defence strategy was probably to force the IDF to crawl through the tunnels and room by room fighting. That would be suicide for the IDF.

The only practical plan is to move the citizens into isolated camps, where civilians can systematically be screened from fighters, while the houses are demolished by artillery. And then use IDF to mop up what's left. This way civilian casualties are minimised. If the IDF would just go in guns blazing, the civilian casualties would, of course, be higher.
Curious, how in the fuck is that remotely "practical"? Let's just say they were able to do so, cleanly, without obstruction, how are they constructing camps for millions to house, feed, manage all other aspects, etc... while Israel determines whether people are Hamas or not?

Sometimes we need to do things that aren't practical. But if there's no options, we'll just have to do the best we can.
Okay, so when you said practical, you meant the exact opposite of it.
The problem Israel has is a bunch of cunty sttlers being cunty.
One of them is the PM of Israel. Helped get another PM assassinated by another radical.

Netanyahu has thrown the crazies on the right a couple of bones to get re-elected. I’m not a conservative. I'd never vote for the guy. But he's no more an extremist than Reagan, Bush or Trump.
Netanyahu fanned ghe flames that got Rabin assassinated. He is a flat out extremist.
There's no evidence the Palestinians is making any effort to stop Hammas. Quite the contrary

Israel needs to do this. Israel has no options. The Palestinians can make it easy or hard. But its going to happen
You know, you talk out of both sides of the mouth so often I'm uncertain how you can expect anyone to know what you actually mean.

What I mean is that the civilian casualties in Gaza is a result of Hammas putting civilians at risk. If Israel wants to fight Hammas and Hammas are using Palestinians as human shields, who is to blame? Israel is still doing a great job of minimising civilian casualties. Considering Hammas despicable behaviour they’re being awesome.

Stop blaming Israel for the actions of Hammas. This isn't a new behaviour by Hammas. They're always been this barbaric. Its an awful organisation

S

Did they crowd up to protect him?
Details like that matter.
If they knew what his plan was, but didn't stop him, just bunched up around him because he told them to, then no.
It wasn't disproportionate, whatever that means.
Tom
So you would agree it is important to figure those things out before shooting?

I certainly haven't.
Which poster in this thread has done that?
Tom
The person I was responding to. Among others.

So you would agree it is important to figure those things out before shooting?

Sorta.
IDF clearly should have started shooting back in August, late September at the latest. It was obvious that Hamas was gearing up for a terrorist attack on Israel.

I didn't realize that. But apparently lots of other people did.
Tom

There just something about Muslims that make them hard to cooperate with. They seem unable to cope with being in a minority position in a society. And that shouldn't be Israels problem. But it is. Its like an abusive relationship where one side refuses to go to therapy. Who's fault and responsibility is that?
Let's try this:

"There's just something about Jews that make them hard to cooperate with. They seem unable to cope with being in a minority position in a society. And that shouldn't be Germany's problem. But it is. It's like an abusive relationship where one side refuses to go to therapy. Who's fault and responsibility is that?"

^That sounds awfully racist, doesn't it? Do you want to rephrase part of your post, or are you sticking with the condescending tone and bigoted wording?
:consternation1:
Okay, let me see if I've got this straight. It's awfully racist and bigoted for DrZ to accuse Muslims in general of being hard to cooperate with on account of some particular Muslims having been unable to cope with being in a minority position in a society? Do I have that right?

Yes, it's unfair to give back the confiscated lands to the Palestinians. You just don't seem to be aware of how Israel has been treated by it's Arab neighbours. It's not good.
First of all, you just gave us the Hollywood screenplay version of events, not the actual history. But let's take it at face value for now.

How about, instead of rewarding robbers by letting them keep all the stuff they stole, the robbers have to give the stolen stuff back and make restitution for the harm they did.

That sounds fair, right?

See, that way, the assholes who made <insert racial/ethnic/religious designation here> homeless and destitute don't benefit from their assholery any longer than they already have. They have to at least try to make amends. Justice might never be fully served but at least the victims of injustice get something resembling it. ...
:consternation1:
Okay, let me see if I've got this straight. Israelis in general are robbers and assholes who stole stuff and did harm and made some other ethnic group homeless and destitute. And you deduced this from them being born into a country founded by some particular Israelis who were robbers and assholes and are long dead. Do I have that right?

So either this means you're racist and bigoted against Israelis, or else this means it's racist and bigoted to blame innocent people for the actions of completely different guilty people if their ethnicity is high on the progressive stack but not racist and bigoted to do it if their ethnicity is low on the progressive stack.

Outgroups are like children. It's different when they're yours.

But Hammas and the Israeli government are qualitatively different. Israel is accountable and responsible. Hammas gives no fucks about anything. They respect no rules and have no morals.

But Hammas and the Israeli government are qualitatively different. Israel is accountable and responsible. Hammas gives no fucks about anything. They respect no rules and have no morals.

Hamas** is accountable and responsible to those who bankroll it, just as the Israelis are. Israel certainly doesn't feel accountable to the UN, and the Likud government believes that it can even ignore the US administration, even though it depends on their support.

** Pedantic note on spelling: the food "hummus" is spelled with a double m, because the word is pronounced with a geminate /mm/. There is also a word hammas in Finnish and Estonian that means "tooth". The organization name Hamas is spelled with a single m in Arabic (حماس), Hebrew (חמאס), English, Danish, and every other script I know. Apparently, it stands for the acronym of "Harakat al-Muqawamah al-Islamiyya", which mean "Islamic Resistance Movement".

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

War Crimes

The sniper who killed that grandma holding the hand of a 5 year old waving a white flag committed a war crime.

The soldiers who shot and killed those shirtless men waving a white flag who turned out to be escaping Israeli hostages, committed a war crime.

The IDF soldiers who shelled the refugee camps in Gaza committed war crimes.

Let's not pretend y'all wouldn't be screaming bloody murder if Hamas shelled a camp full of Israelis fleeing the fighting, or if Hamas snipers were picking off Jewish grandmas trying to get preschoolers to safety.
A question without notice

Arctish
If Israel were to stop bombing Gaza, stop the settlements, not want the hostages back, release all Palestians prisoners, agree to whatever peace plan that is the Middle East peace plan de jure do you truly believe that Hamas/Islamic Jihad/Hezbollah etc. would stop raiding Israel, stop launching rockets, killing Jews whenever, when ever they can?
No.

Hamas, Islamic Jihad, Hezbollah, etc. are where violent bigots gather to plan and commit acts designed to force their opponents to comply with their desires. Just like Zionist terrorists who devised and implemented Plan Dalet. Just like the KKK keeping Black Americans separate and subjugated. Just like the Cossacks carrying out pogroms in Ukraine, the Spanish enslaving Taino in the Caribbean, and every other group who used violence to force others into submission throughout history.

There are many political parties that believe strongly in their vision of how the world should be, but when they cross the line into murder or welcome murderers into their midst they've lost all legitimacy in my view.

I think Israel needs to stop bombing Gaza because it is killing thousands of unarmed civilians. Their deaths won't make Israel any safer, it will rightfully turn more and more people against Israel.
So what is Israel supposed to do when invaders enter their land? You say Israel can defend itself but complain when they do. How else are the perpetrators to be found and punished?
I think Israel needs to not only stop building settlements, it needs to relocate the settlers and offer the empty housing to the Palestinians it made refugees when Zionists and the IDF destroyed their homes.
The Israeli settlements need to stop.
I think Israel should never stop wanting the hostages back, and not expect the Palestinians to stop wanting their people back either.

I think Israel should release everyone it is holding in administrative detention, i.e. prisoners who have never been charged with any crime, much less convicted, and should allow an impartial international panel to review the evidence and court proceedings of any non-Israeli who was convicted of a crime. There are credible allegations of torture and suppression of evidence when it comes to Palestinians accused of being enemy combatants. I think it's important for people to believe that justice, not vengeance, is being served.
An impartial international panel? Do let us know when you have created one. Let's get Hamas/Hezbollah etc. allow their actions to be examined by said same impartial panel.
I don't know the details of the peace plan de jure, but I doubt it's so sweet that every asshole in Hamas/Islamic Jihad/Hezbollah etc. would stop raiding Israel, stop launching rockets, killing Jews whenever, when ever they can.
And for how long must Israel turn the other cheek?
I do think a good deal would make the less fanatic back off, and the more pragmatic relent entirely. However, I also believe a sweet deal, or even any deal that allows a Palestinian State for be established on Palestine, would inspire fanatic Zionists to murder anyone who supports it, even Jews. They did it before and I expect they will do it again. Likewise for any deal that grants full and equal rights to Palestinians in a One State solution.

The challenge is to stand up to violent racist bigots and not let them be the driving force in society. Moderates are at a disadvantage when it comes to what they're willing to do to win that fight, but there is strength in numbers. I truly believe that moderates outnumber the murderous assholes in Israel and the Occupied Territories and that someday they will prevail.
I agree that violent, racist bigots must be stood up too. But thinking kind thoughts and sprinkling fairy dust over everyone will not achieve that. Sometimes battles must be fought as a last resort.
"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Justice, fairness, respect, and upholding the rights of all persons equally is the only thing that has ever resolved conflicts like the one going on in Israel and Palestine. The sooner we apply one single standard when we judge the rightness or wrongness of a person's or nation's acts, the better for everyone.
A single standard only works when all parties agree o abide by it. If one or more parties do not then it is much harder. Israel is more likely to agree to that than Hamas/Hezbollah etc. It is the implementation where the issues will arise.
IMO bombing civilians who have gathered together to seek shelter, or to get a hot meal, or to enjoy a music festival, is utterly immoral no matter who did it to whom. The perpetrators must be defeated on the ground and at the ballot box, and those who have chosen diplomacy and negotiation instead of terrorism and brutality must be supported.
How will you defeat the perpetrators on the ground unless you go at get them?

I wish the fighting to end but I cannot see how a resolution is possible when one side is dedicated to the destruction of the other. River to the sea means in the eyes of Hamas/Hezbollah/ Islamic Jihad etc. that Israel cannot exist. The Jews will never be safe whilst they do not have a land of their own.

The definition I posted upthread? You mean where I said "The term oppression is used to indicate an exercise of unjust and abusive power or authority by one person or group over another. It is not used to indicate mutual hostilities between parties."
Yes! For about the ninetieth time, yes!

Or do you mean the one in the link to the Cambridge dictionary which defines it as <snip>
No, obviously. Why would I cooperate with your attempt to change your definition after you already posted it and I accepted it?

I was not attempting to change my definition. I was attempting to clarify things for you.
Oh come off it. You tried to change your definition two paragraphs after you wrote it in post #1786, when you started disappearing "power or" down the memory hole.

Years ago I realized that in certain discussions it was important to be really, really wordy because assuming that other posters could or would ask for clarification was unrealistic. I now realize that I should have gone on for a few paragraphs about the meaning of the term and included several dictionary definitions. I also realize I made a slight error in punctuation. I should have written my initial comment this way:

The term oppression is used to indicate an exercise of unjust and abusive power or authority by one person or group over another; it is not used to indicate mutual hostilities between parties.
Why do you imagine that makes any difference to the definition whatsoever? Definitions say what a word is used to mean; they do not say what a word is not used to mean. "The term triangle is used to indicate a plane figure with three straight sides and three angles; it is not used to indicate a dingo." doesn't actually add anything substantive to the part preceding the semicolon.

The term "oppression" is not used to indicate mutual hostilities, warfare, civil strife, or similar conditions in which two or more parties engage in an exchange of violent acts and aggression with each other. We have other words for mutual bloodletting. It is used when individuals in positions of power (popes, kings, emperors, dictators, etc. ), or groups in positions of power (white supremacists in the Jim Crow era, Japanese troops in Nanking in the 1930s, the Khmer Rouge, etc.), exercised their power over other individuals or groups in unjust and abusive ways.
Obviously. And the reason you keep harping on that point we both obviously already agree with appears to be as a rhetorical tactic you use to libelously pretend that I have been using it to indicate such activities, and to libelously pretend that the countless Israeli civilian victims of Palestinian war crimes over the last century were themselves engaged in mutual bloodletting, mutual hostilities, warfare, civil strife, or similar conditions in which two or more parties engage in an exchange of violent acts and aggression with each other. You are writing apologetics for terrorists. Every time you say "mutual hostilities" or some other phrase likewise minimizing Palestinian atrocities, you are de facto saying "There's no such thing as an Israeli civilian." "There's no such thing as an Israeli civilian." is a very racist thing to say.

If the Palestinian resistance against Israel had been attacking military targets instead of knifing some random woman on a bus then it would not be oppression, I would not have called it oppression, and if I had been stupid enough to call that oppression then you'd have been justified in lecturing me about mutual bloodletting. But that's not the world we're in; that random woman on the bus was not bloodletting; and you implying she was is libelous.

Both definitions I provided refer to an exercise of institutional power by one person or group over another
Where are you getting that? Our agreed definition didn't say "institutional power"; it said "power". What is the point of trying to retroactively insert "institutional" into the definition other than to rationalize a double standard that lets wrongdoing on one side off the hook?

, not just people fighting over something.
:rolleyesa: That's right, a rapist and a rape victim are "just people fighting over something". It's like when you implied rapes, kidnappings and murders were "Fighting, strife, insurrection, resisting occupation, resisting colonization". Why do you keep doing that?

You are misreading my posts.

The rapes, kidnapping, and murders carried out by Hamas in Israel in October were acts of terrorism and crimes against humanity. We call them that because they fit the definition of the terms 'terrorism' and 'crimes against humanity'.

IMO they were not instances of oppression because they do not fit the definition of the term 'oppression'.
Why do they not? Give your answer in terms of your original definition that I agreed to, without bringing in extraneous criteria like "institutional", or else confess that you're trying to change the definition.

You apparently think they do but you have not yet explained your reasoning.
:picardfacepalm:
Stop making false claims about how the discussion has gone. It's all available for anyone to check. I explained my reasoning perfectly clearly in post #1886. I systematically went through all the criteria in the agreed definition and pointed out that each one was satisfied. If you don't recognize that as an explanation, what do you think the word "explanation" means? What, was I supposed to add some extraneous criterion and pretend it was part of the definition? Was I supposed to make an appeal to have Israelis outrank Palestinians on the progressive stack?

I think at this point it is up to you to be really, really wordy in your response and to explain more fully what you mean.
:rolleyes2: Here it is again, with extra wordiness:

A. That assaults, rapes, kidnappings and murders are an exercise of power is a plain fact. Disputing that would take an extraordinary level of self-deception. Do you dispute that?

B. That they are an exercise of "power or authority" follows by elementary logic from the fact that they are an exercise of power. Do you dispute that?

C. This brings us to "unjust". Why are you making an issue of whether I am appealing to emotion? Don't you use words to appeal to emotions? Whether what Palestinians have done was unjust is a moral question. All moral arguments are appeals to emotion. "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of the passions". Do you disagree with Hume about that -- do you think you know a way to tell right from wrong without applying your emotional moral sense? Or do you have a general objection to moral arguments -- are you suggesting we should decide what people should do without consideration of morality? Or do you perhaps disagree with my moral claims? Do you disagree that raping is unjust? Do you disagree that kidnapping noncombatants is unjust? Do you disagree that targeting noncombatants for death or grievous bodily harm is unjust? Do you dispute that the rapes, kidnapping, and murders carried out by Hamas in Israel in October, that you called "acts of terrorism and crimes against humanity", were unjust?

D. That leaves us with abuse. "1. the improper use of something. 2. cruel and violent treatment of a person or animal." Take your pick. That what Palestinians did to Israelis was cruel and violent is a plain fact. See A. Whether it was improper use of their power is a moral question. See C. I claim the attackers used their power improperly. Do you disagree? Do you claim what Palestinians did to Israelis wasn't cruel and violent? Do you claim it was a proper use of their power?

I have just asked you five simple yes-or-no questions. If you intend to continue to claim the Oct. 7 attacks were not instances of oppression because they do not fit the definition of the term 'oppression', going by the above agreed definition, then answer those five questions.

A quick Google search yields several common definitions including
-prolonged cruel or unjust treatment or control
-the state of being subject to unjust treatment or control.
Palestinians have been targeting Israeli noncombatants for murder for decades. That is prolonged, cruel, and unjust.

The IDF and settlers have been targeting non-Jewish Palestinian non-combatants for murder and mayhem for decades. That, too, is prolonged, cruel, and unjust, and it comes on top of ethnic cleansing and theft of property.
Why did you write that? Did I claim the Israelis aren't oppressing the Palestinians?

Or do you think what you said is somehow relevant to the question of whether Palestinian treatment of Israelis has been prolonged, cruel, and unjust? Are you proposing that it is just? That Israelis deserve what Palestinians have been doing to them? If so, why? For going to rock concerts and riding buses, or for being born Israeli? Or are you proposing that we should analyze the question of whether Israelis have been subjected to prolonged, cruel, and unjust treatment not by checking the facts but by checking their standings in the Oppression Olympics?

-historical and organized patterns of mistreatment
So are you proposing that Palestinian war crimes against Israeli civilians aren't historical, or aren't organized, or aren't mistreatment?

-a combination of prejudice and institutional power that creates a system that regularly and severely discriminates against some groups
:rolleyesa: And as we have recently been told, "plagiarism" means "the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own, plus power".

-when a person or group in a position of power controls the less powerful in cruel and unfair ways
So do you feel cutting the throat of the adjacent rider on a bus fails to control her? Do you feel it isn't cruel? Do you feel it's a fair way to control her? Or are you arguing that the attacker with the knife is less powerful than the rider with her throat cut?

-Unjust or cruel exercise of authority or power especially by the imposition of burdens
Are you arguing that taking a child across a border and holding him prisoner in some tunnel he can't be rescued from is not burdensome on him?

-oppression entails a state of asymmetric power relations characterized by domination, subordination, and resistance, where the dominating persons or groups exercise their power by restricting access to material resources and by implanting in the subordinated persons or groups fear or self-deprecating views about themselves…. Oppression, then, is a series of asymmetric power relations between individuals, genders, classes, communities, nations, and states.
So are you arguing that when a girl at a music festival is raped by a terrorist, he doesn't restrict access to material pepper spray she would need in order to ward him off, but allows her go get some and come back with it before he continues the rape? Or are you arguing he doesn't implant any fear in her while he's holding her down and stripping off her clothes? Or that he doesn't dominate her and subordinate her? Or that she doesn't try to resist his penetration of her? Or are you perhaps arguing that the two have a symmetrical power relation because she rapes him too?

The common definitions of oppression incorporate the concept of a more powerful group imposing unfair restrictions on a less powerful group.
Actually, most of the ones you quoted don't say it has to be group-on-group. Moreover, the terrorists as a group are clearly more powerful than the victims as a group. When you rape somebody and claim she's more powerful than you, the fact that she was unable to stop you from raping her proves you're a liar.

It does not describe the condition of mutual hostilities between groups,
And... there you go again. Finding an unarmed innocent bystander and slashing her to death is "mutual hostilities". :rolleyesa:

which is why I said you are using an eccentric definition.
You posted the definition; all I did was quote you and apply it.

And it appears to me you are using the term as an appeal to emotion. You want to argue that Palestinians are oppressing Israelis even though that has never happened in the modern State of Israel.
The people whose loved ones are on the posters of kidnap victims that left-wingers keep ripping down might possibly disagree with you about that.

What definition of oppression are you using, and how do you determine who is oppressing whom?
Asked and answered, repeatedly. "The term oppression is used to indicate an exercise of unjust and abusive power or authority by one person or group over another." I determine who is oppressing whom by comparing actions with that definition, using logic, instead of inserting extraneous criteria like "institutional" whenever I need to to let one side off the hook.

Believing you are making an appeal to emotion means I disagree that reason is, and ought to be, the slave of the passions?
That's one possibility. Another possibility is that you weren't implying there was anything wrong with making an appeal to emotion and brought up the issue for no reason. Another possibility is that you were simply being inconsistent. Explain yourself or don't, your option.

I believe I have already addressed ^this^ but feel free to repost any particular points you want to discuss more fully.
That depends on you. I showed why what Palestinians have done to Israelis satisfies all the definitions you went definition-shopping for, except the one that was obviously engineered to create a double standard letting those high on the progressive stack off the hook, much like "racism = prejudice + power". If you want to rely on one or more of those definitions to claim the Palestinians don't oppress the Israelis, tell me which definition you want us to switch to and we'll discuss it more fully. If you're willing to stick with your original definition, we can move on.

:picardfacepalm:
I have posted it many times, and so have you; and in case you've forgotten, you're the one who wanted to talk about what oppression is. Which part of

the technicalities of whether "oppression" is the right word are immaterial
So you don't want to talk about whether or not Palestinians are oppressing Israelis. You just want to say that they are.
Correct. Like I said from day one, 'You want to bandy words over technicalities about the definition of "oppression"? Seriously? Does it also depend on what the definition of "is" is?' They're obviously oppressing Israelis, and we've had this long debate on this dumb issue because you wanted to bandy words over technicalities about the definition of "oppression", for reasons best known to you. But the fact that it's you and not me that wanted this debate in no way alters the reality that I'm right and you're wrong, as every round in our drawn-out debate has helped confirm.

I understand why you want to say the Palestinians are oppressing the Israelis. And why you don't want to use the term 'apartheid' to describe the system of bigotry and bias that exists in Israel.
Do you? It's because progressives' double standard on just about everything related to Israel appalls me.

I do not agree with your attempt to cast Israel as the victim of oppression or name-calling.
You say "the victim" as if a victim were a Highlander. Apparently there can be only one.

DrZoidberg, if you made a pass at a woman and she snipped off some cherished bits with garden shears, would she be justified in doing so by claiming that you wanted to rape her?
You used that stupid analogy before. You are using it again, even though I showed why it's not a good analogy.

Making "a pass" is neither an assault nor in any way illegal. To compare it with the murder of >1000 and kidnapping of >200 is completely inappropriate.

Better analogy would be that a person threatens to kill you repeatedly (Hamas' genocidal statements like this one). Then he or she pulls a gun. Are you not allowed to shoot them dead? Do you have to wait until they shoot you so your response is "proportional"?

Or tent cities nearby. I think that Israel ought to offer the Gazan civilians citizenship and the opportunity to return to their ancestral homes in exchange for supporting Israel against Hamas. That would mean the end of Israel as a Jewish ethnostate, but that's a small price to pay for fighting Hamas. Giving sovereignty over the entire West Bank and East Jerusalem to the Palestinian Authority would also be good.
That's completely unrealistic and would be a capitulation to Hamas in practice.
As far as Israel ceasing to be a Jewish state - there are about a dozen or so Arab states, and nobody is opposed to them existing. Why is the Left so offended at the existence of a single Jewish state that they want it to become an Arab state as well?

The sniper who killed that grandma holding the hand of a 5 year old waving a white flag committed a war crime.
Do we know who shot that bullet? I would not put it past Hamas to do something like that for the headlines.
The soldiers who shot and killed those shirtless men waving a white flag who turned out to be escaping Israeli hostages, committed a war crime.
The best we know, that solider made a mistake. Mistakes happen in wars.
The IDF soldiers who shelled the refugee camps in Gaza committed war crimes.
BS. The term "refugee camp" is a misnomer here. They started out as actual refugee camps 70 years ago, but they are now regular urban centers. Jabaliyah "refugee camp" is no different in practice than Jabaliyah itself. These are urban centers Hamas uses to stage their genocidal attacks against Israeli civilians.

Let's not pretend y'all wouldn't be screaming bloody murder if Hamas shelled a camp full of Israelis fleeing the fighting, or if Hamas snipers were picking off Jewish grandmas trying to get preschoolers to safety.
Hamas is already doing that - on October 7th they shot thousands of rockets at Israeli cities and they massacred over a thousand in the towns surrounding Gaza. There was absolutely no response by the protesters mindlessly chanting "ceasefire" and "from the River to the Sea" (usually not even knowing which river and which sea is meant).

You used that stupid analogy before. You are using it again, even though I showed why it's not a good analogy.

Making "a pass" is neither an assault nor in any way illegal.
Unsurprisingly you have it wrong. Making a pass can involve assault which makes it illegal.

Back
Top Bottom