• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged Gaza just launched an unprovoked attack on Israel

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
A number of things.

TND is "The National Desk", which is produced by the Sinclair Broadcasting Corporation. They've been known to stir the pot.
A person posting on Twitter doesn't mean an entire organization supports the sentiment.
Reasonable sentiments can be poorly, ignorantly, naively put forth.

The later seems a reasonable interpretation based on their Tweet today.

"Don't account for malice when ignorance will suffice." - Jesus H. Christ

There are likely many college students that are making statements that are likewise... and it is simply a position of stupidity, ignorance that is driving their vocal positions. Not anti-Semitism.

In my view, the apology lacks sincerity. The initial message was both inappropriate and misguided. Whoever is responsible should be kept away from a keyboard, let alone managing that account.

One should fight off Hamas, yes, and I like Israel's Iron Dome. It's essentially defensive. But one should fight off Hamas without killing civilians, even if Hamas uses them as human shields.
How do you propose fighting Hamas without risking the lives of any civilians? What you want is to condemn Israel to inaction.
No other country in the world is told that they should not defend themselves in a way that would not harm . Yet again we have special rules devised to restrict the Jewish state and only the Jewish state.
It is incredible how incendiary your post is. The "Jewish state"? You are quite clearly trying to paint people that disagree with you regarding the realities of military violence and far-right wing Israeli governance as anti-Semites.
If these decades-long crimes were committed against a U.S. state or Ukraine or even your favorite vacation spot… How would you feel about it then?
That the oppressive and terrorist regime needs to be removed ASAP.
Yes... in the nice imaginary world where this can actually happen, that'd be great. But seeing we live in the real world, and Israeli soldiers will be the ones bleeding to death (because you refuse to fight in this cause you feel must be accomplished) in this mission to rid the world of Hamas, we need to step back and ponder, what actually can be accomplished and at what cost, because we know bombs and missiles don't stop insurgencies, they disrupt real militaries and their infrastructure to wage actual larger scale war. Defeating Hamas will require high-scale urban warfare, which will be very very bloody for Hamas, Palestinians, and Israeli soldiers.

Probably best to actually appreciate the realities of urban warfare before waxing on romantically about how others need to surge off onto the streets in slums against an unlabeled enemy. And that is before the civilian casualties start making the extremism movement grow.

All your ideas were wrong. They've been proven wrong. The far-right leadership in Israel did this to Palestine to keep Israel safe. It didn't work. In fact, it made things worse. Far worse. And now you want to double down on this failed system of shitty far right decision making that is based on fantasies of ending insurgencies via brute force, a tactic that has NEVER worked without resorting to mass scale killing.
And it seems to me that you are blaming Israel for the attacks by Hamas. And that this is an insurgency by Hamas, which seems like there is justification by Hamas. Which makes me wonder if that's how you see the Jan 6 insurgency in the USA. (Not really--I know that you do not--but words matter.)

If you are suggesting that Hamas was justified, then you are absolutely wrong. If you think that means that I think Israel has been perfect or even decent towards Palestinians living within its borders, then you are absolutely wrong. They deliberately murdered babies. Beheaded babies. Ripped open the stomach of a pregnant woman and ripped the baby out and left them both to die. There is never justification for this and there never has been and there never will be. On the part of anyone, ever.

And to go a little off topic of this particular post here, does anyone here think it is just a convenient coincidence that this attack by Hamas happened while our own House of Representatives is without an official leader? Which hamstrings US response?

In my view, the apology lacks sincerity. The initial message was both inappropriate and misguided. Whoever is responsible should be kept away from a keyboard, let alone managing that account.
It doesn't even seem to be an apology, as its not different, really, than their initial message. No mention of Israel and their suffering, but the Palestine flag and hearts are there. :shrug:

Yeah, I feel like I and whoever wrote that garbage live in two different worlds.

A number of things.

TND is "The National Desk", which is produced by the Sinclair Broadcasting Corporation. They've been known to stir the pot.
A person posting on Twitter doesn't mean an entire organization supports the sentiment.

We live in a different world today of noise and megaphones and misrepresentations on the Misinformation Superhighway. As you know, back in the day, corporations and non-profit entities had public relations departments and a great deal of effort was made to release statements on behalf of the entity. Now, people say things on behalf of groups very quickly to get a word in while the issue is still hot and trending. Last company I worked for even encouraged individual employees to have twitter accounts and make noise about the company and there was no standard promoted or process of review. If you weren't following the company on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, etc and posting random shit, you were a bad, unmotivated employee. I saw the whole thing as a giant risk of never-ending dumpster fires and so before the company went down in gynormous flames of financial and marketing scandals, they viewed me as an employee not climbing the ladder of success. That aside, yeah, it's illogical now to presume a single post in social media is representative of group sentiment even when it is labeled as coming from a group. It would have been illogical before to make blanket statements because there'd be exceptions but now it's worse, like the Wild West but instead of six-shooters, everyone's got a social media noisemaker.

Reasonable sentiments can be poorly, ignorantly, naively put forth.

The later seems a reasonable interpretation based on their Tweet today.

"Don't account for malice when ignorance will suffice." - Jesus H. Christ

There are likely many college students that are making statements that are likewise... and it is simply a position of stupidity, ignorance that is driving their vocal positions. Not anti-Semitism.

It's interesting to see the replies to the apology comment. They're like "Haha, no you meant it but then the Jews pulled your funding....um, because Jews have all the money. OOPS, what am I talking about? I mean, err, your funders whoever they may be are pulling your funding...so you had to make some rhetorical concessions."

One should fight off Hamas, yes, and I like Israel's Iron Dome. It's essentially defensive. But one should fight off Hamas without killing civilians, even if Hamas uses them as human shields.
How do you propose fighting Hamas without risking the lives of any civilians? What you want is to condemn Israel to inaction.
No other country in the world is told that they should not defend themselves in a way that would not harm . Yet again we have special rules devised to restrict the Jewish state and only the Jewish state.
It is incredible how incendiary your post is. The "Jewish state"? You are quite clearly trying to paint people that disagree with you regarding the realities of military violence and far-right wing Israeli governance as anti-Semites.
If these decades-long crimes were committed against a U.S. state or Ukraine or even your favorite vacation spot… How would you feel about it then?
Yes... in the nice imaginary world where this can actually happen, that'd be great. But seeing we live in the real world, and Israeli soldiers will be the ones bleeding to death (because you refuse to fight in this cause you feel must be accomplished) in this mission to rid the world of Hamas, we need to step back and ponder, what actually can be accomplished and at what cost, because we know bombs and missiles don't stop insurgencies, they disrupt real militaries and their infrastructure to wage actual larger scale war. Defeating Hamas will require high-scale urban warfare, which will be very very bloody for Hamas, Palestinians, and Israeli soldiers.

Probably best to actually appreciate the realities of urban warfare before waxing on romantically about how others need to surge off onto the streets in slums against an unlabeled enemy. And that is before the civilian casualties start making the extremism movement grow.

All your ideas were wrong. They've been proven wrong. The far-right leadership in Israel did this to Palestine to keep Israel safe. It didn't work. In fact, it made things worse. Far worse. And now you want to double down on this failed system of shitty far right decision making that is based on fantasies of ending insurgencies via brute force, a tactic that has NEVER worked without resorting to mass scale killing.
And it seems to me that you are blaming Israel for the attacks by Hamas. And that this is an insurgency by Hamas, which seems like there is justification by Hamas. Which makes me wonder if that's how you see the Jan 6 insurgency in the USA. (Not really--I know that you do not--but words matter.)

If you are suggesting that Hamas was justified, then you are absolutely wrong.
Toni, I can only call the Hamas attack an "atrocity" so many times. I can also only say that this was not "resistance" but "mass murder" so many times. I don't want to have to put my posts in a signature so people don't forget what I've already said repeatedly. It'd get awfully long and hard to follow.

Regarding what I'm suggesting, it is that storing a lot of fertilizer in a warehouse and just let it set there contributed directly to the explosion. I'm saying that the dehumanization of the Palestinians by the far-right government in Israel is one of the direct causes of this atrocity. I'm saying that enforcing an immoral quasi-apartheid system for Israel's benefit didn't work at protecting Israel. I'm saying the far-right-wing failed to protect the Israeli population with their ridiculous far right-wing solutions that created a lot of suffering and breeding ground for extremism.

And to see people suggest that more far right-wing tactics will solve the problem... and rid the world of Hamas, it gets extraordinarily frustrating because we starting (already passed?) a tipping point regarding any possible deal between Israelis and Palestinians, and heading towards a much broader conflict bringing Hezbollah and then Iran into the mix.

Regarding the term insurgency, I use that as a term to describe what is generally an asymmetric war. You have the Israeli military fighting against loosely tied, lesser armed fighters who are among the population, and utterly impossible to tell the difference from. Battling insurgencies is very bloody and in the cities, near impossible. If anyone can actually bother to remember less than 20 years ago when the W Admin's military was trying to brute force it, and it wasn't working. It wasn't until the communities were successfully sold on the intervention that progress began. Does anyone here think many people in Gaza will be eager to help Israeli soldiers with the water/electricity/all services off, with buildings falling everywhere, one to three degrees of separation of knowing people that died, whether civilian or militant?

People that think defeating Hamas is even tenable are deluded at best. They have 0% appreciation for the how this looks to the Palestinians. The truth often isn't as important as the POV of experience. Hamas is bringing this on to the Palestinians. But that won't be how it is interpreted.
And to go a little off topic of this particular post here, does anyone here think it is just a convenient coincidence that this attack by Hamas happened while our own House of Representatives is without an official leader? Which hamstrings US response?
I'm doubtful. While our Government is mired in far right-wing stupidity, our Military and the Executive Branch probably have enough wiggle room to work with, and it is extraordinarily doubtful the GOP would try to impeach President Biden for providing military or humanitarian support for Israel.

BLM Chicago backs Palestine after Hamas terrorist invasion of Israel

CHICAGO (TND) — Black Lives Matter Chicago publicly asserted its support for Palestine Tuesday in the wake of the terrorist invasion of Israel, sparking outrage on social media.

The organization shared a photo to X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, Tuesday of a Palestinian flag tied to a paraglider. The photo bears the words "I stand with Palestine."

"That is all that is it!" BLM Chicago wrote alongside the photo.

BLM Chicago expanded on the sentiments on its Facebook account, sharing photos of "conversation piecers" surrounding the Israel-Hamas war. The "conversation piecers" are largely in support of Palestine, with one defining terrorist organization Hamas as "a political party in Gaza, who were also kind of started by Israel."

Another falsely claims that the "few" Israeli hostages taken by Hamas terrorists are to blame for keeping Palestinians "hostage" in Gaza. At least 150 hostages were taken by Hamas in its invasion of Israel, and many of them, including those attending a music festival, have no link to land disputes between Palestinians and Israelis.

I've never been a fan of BLM, but now even less so.
So you believe that to stand for Palestine necessarily means standing for Hamas?

If you are suggesting that Hamas was justified, then you are absolutely wrong. If you think that means that I think Israel has been perfect or even decent towards Palestinians living within its borders, then you are absolutely wrong. They deliberately murdered babies. Beheaded babies. Ripped open the stomach of a pregnant woman and ripped the baby out and left them both to die. There is never justification for this and there never has been and there never will be. On the part of anyone, ever.

Good post. Not sure that the republican chaos attributed to this situation or not. But it's not helping. Also not helping that one republican senator is hurting our military by stopping promotions.

But yea, to echo what you said, there is no fucking excuse for what Hamas did. None. Russia has stolen Ukrainian land, raped their women, deliberately targeted civilians, targeted infrastructure, and etc. The Russian crimes in Ukraine have been brutal. However, if Ukranian troopers had invaded a Russian village: and then proceeded to behead babies in front of their moms; and raped women, tortured them, carting them while on a motorcycle, naked and yet alive; I'd be the first to say: no excuses. That's outrageous.

It doesn't even seem to be an apology, as its not different, really, than their initial message. No mention of Israel and their suffering, but the Palestine flag and hearts are there. :shrug:
It is an apology. A soft one, but it is an apology. It implies that they took a minute to reflect on what has happened and their statements on it and realized that they were wrong on some parts. People admitting errors online isn't exactly a common occurrence and should be recognized as such when it does rarely occur.

If you are suggesting that Hamas was justified, then you are absolutely wrong.
Toni, I can only call the Hamas attack an "atrocity" so many times. I can also only say that this was not "resistance" but "mass murder" so many times. I don't want to have to put my posts in a signature so people don't forget what I've already said repeatedly. It'd get awfully long and hard to follow.

Regarding what I'm suggesting, it is that storing a lot of fertilizer in a warehouse and just let it set there contributed directly to the explosion. I'm saying that the dehumanization of the Palestinians by the far-right government in Israel is one of the direct causes of this atrocity. I'm saying that enforcing an immoral quasi-apartheid system for Israel's benefit didn't work at protecting Israel. I'm saying the far-right-wing failed to protect the Israeli population with their ridiculous far right-wing solutions that created a lot of suffering and breeding ground for extremism.

And to see people suggest that more far right-wing tactics will solve the problem... and rid the world of Hamas, it gets extraordinarily frustrating because we starting (already passed?) a tipping point regarding any possible deal between Israelis and Palestinians, and heading towards a much broader conflict bringing Hezbollah and then Iran into the mix.

Regarding the term insurgency, I use that as a term to describe what is generally an asymmetric war. You have the Israeli military fighting against loosely tied, lesser armed fighters who are among the population, and utterly impossible to tell the difference from. Battling insurgencies is very bloody and in the cities, near impossible. If anyone can actually bother to remember less than 20 years ago when the W Admin's military was trying to brute force it, and it wasn't working. It wasn't until the communities were successfully sold on the intervention that progress began. Does anyone here think many people in Gaza will be eager to help Israeli soldiers with the water/electricity/all services off, with buildings falling everywhere, one to three degrees of separation of knowing people that died, whether civilian or militant?

People that think defeating Hamas is even tenable are deluded at best. They have 0% appreciation for the how this looks to the Palestinians. The truth often isn't as important as the POV of experience. Hamas is bringing this on to the Palestinians. But that won't be how it is interpreted.
I'm doubtful. While our Government is mired in far right-wing stupidity, our Military and the Executive Branch probably have enough wiggle room to work with, and it is extraordinarily doubtful the GOP would try to impeach President Biden for providing military or humanitarian support for Israel.
The House controls appropriations for aid for Israel.

Also, this outbreak of war will be used as a mark against Biden, blame for which is already being laid at his door.

Meanwhile, the House is meeting behind closed doors to elect a new leader, without any press or any devices, without any public dissemination of the rules they will use to elect the next speaker. Who will be second in line for POTUS. Very fascist like.

Sure it does, but there are usually asterisks, exceptions, etc...
Also, this outbreak of war will be used as a mark against Biden, blame for which is already being laid at his door.
Unlike Roe v Wade, the Hamas attack will be in the rear view mirror by Election Day. History is like that in US Politics.
Meanwhile, the House is meeting behind closed doors to elect a new leader, without any press or any devices, without any public dissemination of the rules they will use to elect the next speaker. Who will be second in line for POTUS. Very fascist like.
The House or the GOP carcass?

BLM Chicago backs Palestine after Hamas terrorist invasion of Israel

CHICAGO (TND) — Black Lives Matter Chicago publicly asserted its support for Palestine Tuesday in the wake of the terrorist invasion of Israel, sparking outrage on social media.

The organization shared a photo to X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, Tuesday of a Palestinian flag tied to a paraglider. The photo bears the words "I stand with Palestine."

"That is all that is it!" BLM Chicago wrote alongside the photo.

BLM Chicago expanded on the sentiments on its Facebook account, sharing photos of "conversation piecers" surrounding the Israel-Hamas war. The "conversation piecers" are largely in support of Palestine, with one defining terrorist organization Hamas as "a political party in Gaza, who were also kind of started by Israel."

Another falsely claims that the "few" Israeli hostages taken by Hamas terrorists are to blame for keeping Palestinians "hostage" in Gaza. At least 150 hostages were taken by Hamas in its invasion of Israel, and many of them, including those attending a music festival, have no link to land disputes between Palestinians and Israelis.

I've never been a fan of BLM, but now even less so.
So you believe that to stand for Palestine necessarily means standing for Hamas?
Where did you get that from? All I did was post the news article and make one short sentence about BLM. It does seem like BLM Chicago is implicitly "standing for Hamas", though, given the graphic they posted showing a Hamas terrorist paragliding in to terrorize Israel while stating "I stand with Palestine"

Unlike Roe v Wade, the Hamas attack will be in the rear view mirror by Election Day. History is like that in US Politics.
You really think this will be over 6-9 months from now?

The GOP controls the House right now.

The GOP has the most representatives in the House, but it seems to me they control nothing at this time.

This summer I went to a burning man type festival. At this festival was a bunch of Israelis that I made friends with. The same crowd went to the festival that was attacked.

As a result I know dozens who were there when it was attacked. None of the people I know were hurt.

But following their Facebook chats. God damn Israelis are stone cold and pragmatic.

None of their posts is about outrage or "standing with the victims". All they discuss is practical problems. Ie locating people and finding a place to stay for those who are stuck somewhere.

It's like nothing shocks these guys.

It's both sad, and incredibly cool.

I haven't asked any of them about details. I feel its a bit insensitive right now, and I don't know them that well.

I grieve the Palestinian and Israeli lives lost yesterday, today, and every day. … | Instagram by Rashida Tlaib:
I grieve the Palestinian and Israeli lives lost yesterday, today, and every day. I am determined as ever to fight for a just future where everyone can live in peace, without fear and with true freedom, equal rights, and human dignity.

The path to that future must include lifting the blockade, ending the occupation, and dismantling the apartheid system that creates the suffocating, dehumanizing conditions that can lead to resistance.

The failure to recognize the violent reality of living under siege, occupation, and apartheid makes no one safer. No person, no child anywhere should have to suffer or live in fear of violence. We cannot ignore the humanity in each other.

As long as our country provides billions in unconditional funding to support the apartheid government, this heartbreaking cycle of violence will continue.

I have no idea what the Israeli/Hamas/? conflict will be, but the horrors of the attack in October 2023 will be well outside the minds of the Average American voter.
When you say "control"... ;)

I grieve the Palestinian and Israeli lives lost yesterday, today, and every day. … | Instagram by Rashida Tlaib:
I grieve the Palestinian and Israeli lives lost yesterday, today, and every day. I am determined as ever to fight for a just future where everyone can live in peace, without fear and with true freedom, equal rights, and human dignity.

The path to that future must include lifting the blockade, ending the occupation, and dismantling the apartheid system that creates the suffocating, dehumanizing conditions that can lead to resistance extremism.

The failure to recognize the violent reality of living under siege, occupation, and apartheid makes no one safer. No person, no child anywhere should have to suffer or live in fear of violence. We cannot ignore the humanity in each other.

As long as our country provides billions in unconditional funding to support the apartheid government, this heartbreaking cycle of violence will continue.
Fixed it for her.

Back
Top Bottom