• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Government shutdown again?

Congress votes to avert government shutdown for now as Covid relief talks drag on - CNNPolitics
Congressional leaders on Friday failed to secure a long-awaited deal on a $900 billion pandemic relief package but managed to narrowly avoid a government shutdown -- for now.

The House and Senate passed a two-day extension of government funding to keep agencies operating until Sunday night. The stop-gap bill now goes to President Donald Trump for his signature.

The move ratcheted up pressure on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to finalize a stimulus agreement that they have said for days they are on the cusp of reaching.
Only for two days?

#GeneralStrike was trending on Twitter, and I discovered this:

Ilhan Omar on Twitter: "Only in America, can elected representatives threaten to shutdown government regularly, but the public never calls for #GeneralStrike.

It’s almost the opposite around the the world." / Twitter

Congress votes to avert government shutdown for now as Covid relief talks drag on - CNNPolitics
Congressional leaders on Friday failed to secure a long-awaited deal on a $900 billion pandemic relief package but managed to narrowly avoid a government shutdown -- for now.

The House and Senate passed a two-day extension of government funding to keep agencies operating until Sunday night. The White House announced just after 10 p.m. ET on Friday that President Donald Trump had signed the bill, ensuring the government would stay open through the weekend.
What will happen on Monday?

Congress agrees on $1 trillion in coronavirus relief, including bonus jobless benefits, $600 stimulus checks - oregonlive.com
Still, delays in finalizing the agreement prompted the House to take up a one-day stopgap spending bill to prevent a government shutdown at midnight Sunday. The Senate was likely to pass the measure Sunday night as well.

The final agreement would be the largest spending measure yet. It combined COVID-19 relief with a $1.4 trillion government-wide funding plan and lots of other unrelated measures on taxes, health, infrastructure and education. The government-wide funding would keep the government open through September.
First a two-day stopgap, now a one-day stopgap. Where will it end?

Trump signs bill extending government funding for 24 hours | TheHill
President Trump signed a continuing resolution on Sunday night that will fund the government for the next 24 hours, preventing a shutdown just before midnight and giving Congress extra time to pass a coronavirus relief measure and an accompanying $1.4 trillion government funding bill.

The White House announced just before midnight that Trump signed the bill shortly after the House and Senate each passed the measure Sunday evening. Congress is expected to take up the stimulus package and government funding bill on Monday. The government would have shut down at midnight without the one-day extension of funding.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announced Sunday evening that congressional negotiators had finalized a deal that would link a $1.4 trillion government funding bill to roughly $900 billion in further coronavirus relief, a significant bipartisan breakthrough after months of on and off talks.

The Washington Post reported last week that Trump wanted to call for direct payments of at least $1,200 and up to $2,000, but that aides intervened to prevent him from making the demand. The deal announced Sunday includes a round of $600 direct payments to certain Americans.
That gov't-funding bill should last all the way to next September.

He finally did it - after letting two of the programs expire, creating a benefits gap for millions.

What a horribl man.

Government shutdowns in the United States
noting
 List of United States federal funding gaps

Also
 United States debt ceiling
with
 2023 United States debt-ceiling crisis earlier this year

Republicans intensify government shutdown risk over spending bill | US Congress | The Guardian
noting
Hakeem Jeffries says House Republicans are in a 'civil war'
House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., said Sunday that Republicans are “in the middle of a civil war” as both parties wrestle for an agreement to avert a government shutdown when funding expires at the end of the month.

In an interview on ABC News’ “This Week,” Jeffries said: “Let’s be clear: House Republicans are in the middle of a civil war.
“The House Republican civil war is hurting hard-working American taxpayers and limiting our ability to be able to solve problems on their behalf. It’s unfortunate, but as House Democrats, we’re going to continue to try to find common ground with the other side of the aisle to work with Senate Democrats and Senate Republicans and President Biden," he said.

Back to The Guardian.
Late on Sunday a group of hardline and moderate Republicans reached agreement on a short-term stopgap spending bill, known as a “continuing resolution” or CR, that could help McCarthy move forward on defence legislation.

The measure would keep the government running until the end of October, giving Congress more time to enact full-scale appropriations for 2024. The Politico website reported that the Heritage Foundation, an influential conservative thinktank, had thrown its weight behind the proposed CR.

Another doomed GOP spending plan collapses - POLITICO
As details of the deal hashed out by leaders of the Main Street Caucus and House Freedom Caucus trickled out, a bevy of conservative hardliners piped up with various versions of “Hell No” — rejecting a measure that would impose an 8% cut to most non-defense programs and implement an array of GOP border policies while extending government funding for a month.

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) told our colleague Olivia Beavers he “will not support this 167 page surrender to Joe Biden.”

Rep. Matt Rosendale (R-Mont.) called the plan a “continuation of Nancy Pelosi’s budget and Joe Biden’s policies.”

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) posted to X, the social network formerly known as Twitter, “I’m a NO,” while Rep. Eli Crane (R-Ariz.) simply posted “NO.”

Add to that more objections from Reps. Dan Bishop (R-N.C.), Cory Mills (R-Fla.), Tim Burchett (R-Tenn.), Tony Gonzales (R-Texas), Andy Ogles (R-Tenn.), Anna Paulina Luna (R-Fa.), Victoria Spartz (R-Ind.) and Ralph Norman (R-S.C.), with others certain to follow.

Olivia Beavers on X: "GAETZ is a no, telling me “I will not support this 167 page surrender to Joe Biden”" / X

Matt Gaetz on X: "This Continuing Resolution to fund Ukraine and Jack Smith’s election interference is a betrayal of Republicans.
We must do better." / X

Matt Rosendale on X: "For months…" / X
For months, I have made it very clear that I will not be supporting a CR. And this week is no different.

A CR is a continuation of Nancy Pelosi’s budget and Joe Biden’s policies. We were assured in January that we weren’t going to use the Democrats’ gimmicks to fund government and that we would deliver the 12 appropriations bills, thereby funding government responsibly and transparently, which is why I will be voting against the CR this week.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 on X: "CR ..." / X
CR negotiated by Byron Donalds and Dusty Johnson.

No policy riders in the CR. So it’s all the policies from last year’s Democrat appropriations, with an 8% cut. Plus the border bill, but no E-Verify.

I’m a NO.

No money for Ukraine, COVID, or weaponized Gov.

America First!🇺🇸

Rep. Eli Crane on X: "NO" / X

Only a few - maybe a hundred million directly effected in short order.
The rest wouldn't notice until Trump blames it on the democrats.

Would anyone notice if the government shutdown?
Yes. Many.

There are too many examples to list but here’s one I’m sure no one has thought about:

There are some interns at the local NASA center who will be kicked out of their housing when the government shuts down. They’ll have to pay out of pocket for hotels or maybe just leave and go home.

Essential (safety) personnel stay on the job but in some instances operate in a diminished capacity: federal law enforcement, military, VA medical, FAA ATC and maintenance are some that I know. Likely more that deal with railroads, food safety, etc. It's about 400,000 of four million employees stay on the job. Most won't get paid until after the shutdown. So essentially as long as you can carry yourself financially through the shutdown, it's nothing more than a free vacation. But in that 78% of people live paycheck to paycheck, that's a lot of pain, deferred mortgage, rent, etc.

Anyone wanting to interact with the government is SOL, be it personal or business: passports, small business loans. It is by agency decision also. They can choose to continue to operate if they still have funds available. They can also go out of their way to spread the pain to the general public if they so desire.

I think of it like a big marine engine. It's better to just let it idle rather than shut it down and restart.

The impact varies, both to the person and how big a shutdown it is. Sometimes it is a "shutdown", sometimes a SHUTDOWN. Obviously the people impacted the most are the government workers who aren't getting paid, depending on the length of the shutdown. Having a $4+ trillion budget means a lot of people are impacted.

This “free vacation” thing is not true for government contractors. And there are many, many people whose jobs are on federal contracts. Any lost wages are not recovered. I did lose money on one of the shutdowns because my employer didn’t have enough money on hand to pay its employees for the full two weeks of the shutdown.

And even the threat of a shutdown can seriously disrupt the work of government employees, who may have to spend a lot of time, energy, and money preparing for a shutdown.

Back
Top Bottom