• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Government shutdown again?

It is remarkable how the majority can't achieve much of anything. Pelosi was able to the herd the Democrat cats. McCarthy is the tail being wagged by the dog.

Would anyone notice if the government shutdown?
The impact varies, both to the person and how big a shutdown it is. Sometimes it is a "shutdown", sometimes a SHUTDOWN. Obviously the people impacted the most are the government workers who aren't getting paid, depending on the length of the shutdown. Having a $4+ trillion budget means a lot of people are impacted.
What a lot of people forget is that it isn't just the government employees who are hurt by this (every time it happens). With some of the good (in theory) programs the government has to work with small businesses to encourage job growth, those same small businesses are often hurt the most by these idiotic fucking shutdowns. Even if the government itself doesn't actually shut down, they 'continuing resolutions' that keep it going often mean that although government employees don't get furloughed or laid off, those civilian contractors and small businesses that rely on the government funding to keep them going often don't get paid for months at a time. The small businesses can't afford to pay 4-5 months of payroll and keep going, and they either wind up laying off significant staff (I have suffered directly at least twice because of this) or outright shutting down.

The impact varies, both to the person and how big a shutdown it is. Sometimes it is a "shutdown", sometimes a SHUTDOWN. Obviously the people impacted the most are the government workers who aren't getting paid, depending on the length of the shutdown. Having a $4+ trillion budget means a lot of people are impacted.
What a lot of people forget is that it isn't just the government employees who are hurt by this (every time it happens).
I missed out on a job during the first GOP Obama shutdown because I couldn't get some documents processed in time. I need a new passport soon this time and I am woried I will end up screwed this time too. You have to send in your passport for a replacement and there is no telling when you will get it back when there is a shutdown. I will be stranded indefinitely.

I missed out on a job during the first GOP Obama shutdown because I couldn't get some documents processed in time. I need a new passport soon this time and I am woried I will end up screwed this time too. You have to send in your passport for a replacement and there is no telling when you will get it back when there is

Contact your representative.
A trick I learned from a hard core SJW was "Don't leave a phone message, or send an email. Write it on paper, address and stamp it, and it will be taken far more seriously by any politician."
Tom

I missed out on a job during the first GOP Obama shutdown because I couldn't get some documents processed in time. I need a new passport soon this time and I am woried I will end up screwed this time too. You have to send in your passport for a replacement and there is no telling when you will get it back when there is

Contact your representative.
A trick I learned from a hard core SJW was "Don't leave a phone message, or send an email. Write it on paper, address and stamp it, and it will be taken far more seriously by any politician."
Tom
And be sure to include some white powder...

As Congress limps toward government shutdown, some members champion punitive legislation to prevent future impasses - CBS News
One idea is for Congress to cut off its own pay.

Another would require the U.S. House and Senate to work continuous seven-day work weeks until a resolution.

In May, as Congress faced the prospect of a debt default, Spanberger and Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick, Republican of Pennsylvania, introduced the "No Pay for Congress During Default or Shutdown Act," which would block the pay of members of Congress if the public debt limit is reached or a federal government shutdown occurs.

On Wednesday, Rep. Angie Craig, Democrat of Minnesota, formally announced her own version of such a bill.

Sen. James Lankford, a Republican from Oklahoma, has been seeking a vote on his own version of shutdown prevention legislation. His bill, dubbed the "Prevent Government Shutdowns Act of 2023," would prohibit Congress from taking a break or returning home if they miss a deadline to pass spending legislation.

A pair of Democratic lawmakers representing Virginia have introduced separate legislation that would also prohibit Congress from recessing or shifting to other business if it fails to meet a deadline to pass its spending bills. Sen. Tim Kaine and Rep. Don Beyer, who collectively represent at least 100,000 federal workers, have dubbed their bill the "End Shutdowns Act." The legislation would also require Congress to revert to prior spending levels in the case of a shutdown to ensure federal agencies can still function.

Rep. Abigail Spanberger's bill:
H.R.3538 - 118th Congress (2023-2024): No Pay for Congress During Default or Shutdown Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress
Only 6 cosponsors, with the only Republican her cosponsor, Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick.

Rep. Angie Craig Introduces MCCARTHY Shutdown Act to Stop Member Pay During a Government Shutdown | Congresswoman Angie Craig
Under current law, Members receive regular paychecks while thousands of federal employees are furloughed without pay

Today, U.S. Representative Angie Craig introduced the My Constituents Cannot Afford Rebellious Tantrums, Handle Your (MCCARTHY) Shutdown Act to withhold pay for Members of Congress in the case of a federal government shutdown.
Its text
Not in congress.gov yet.

Calling out the House Speaker by name. Let's see if that gets anywhere.

Rep. then Sen. James Lankford's bills:
The 2011 and 1013 ones have this summary:
Makes specified provisional (automatic) continuing appropriations in the event that any regular appropriation bill for a fiscal year is not enacted before the beginning of such fiscal year, or a joint resolution making continuing appropriations is not in effect. (Thus prevents a federal government shutdown.)
Thus continuing funding.

The 2019, 2021, and 2023 ones have this summary:
This bill provides continuing appropriations to prevent a government shutdown if any of the appropriations bills for a fiscal year have not been enacted before the fiscal year begins and continuing appropriations are not in effect.

The bill also limits official travel, congressional recesses or adjournments, and the consideration of legislation that is unrelated to appropriations after the beginning of a fiscal year if the appropriations process has not been completed.
Not only continuing funding, but also says that Congressmembers may only work on a budget.

I think of it like a big marine engine. It's better to just let it idle rather than shut it down and restart.
Yes, that's what's behind James Lankford's and Tim Kaine's bills - let government agencies run on autopilot while Congress argues about what next for them.

Senators seek to stop shutdowns forever, after McCarthy’s spending stumbles - POLITICO - "Senators are pushing for votes on a bill that would permanently end shutdowns, instead triggering two-week stopgap bills when funding lapses."

McCarthy reverses on Ukraine aid as GOP scrambles on funding bills - POLITICO - "The backtrack comes as Republicans try to shore up votes to move forward after two setbacks."
Speaker Kevin McCarthy is backtracking on his plan to remove Ukraine aid from a massive military spending bill as Republicans scramble to find a way forward on funding the government.

Republicans are preparing to vote Tuesday to start debate on four government funding bills: Defense, State, Homeland Security and an agriculture bill. It would mark the latest attempt for McCarthy to get his party’s funding bills off the ground.
It says something that House Republicans are squabbling about how to fund their favorite part of government.

McCarthy stares into the shutdown abyss - POLITICO - "The speaker has only one clear exit route away from a government closure: working with Democrats. It’s a path he still refuses to take."

McCarthy stares into the shutdown abyss - POLITICO - "The speaker has only one clear exit route away from a government closure: working with Democrats. It’s a path he still refuses to take."
He has to give the Democrats something, and that'd be utterly embarrassing. And even then, he has the issue with the Sociopath Filibuster he invented so he could become Speaker. Even if the Dems vote to support McCarthy, Gaetz can ask for another vote.

The funny thing about McCarthy is he is a alt-right-winger... but you can't tell because of the insane people that have been elected into the House for the GOP. They almost make him look like a moderate.

It seems my sarcasm attempt went through to the keeper for a a lot of people.
Except it is a legit question. Would people notice? That depends on a lot of things. Millions on Social Security live month to month on that check. Would they notice? Or would the parks just close. The answer is a decent number of people would be impacted. But it wouldn't be as if people on Social Security wouldn't get deposits on payday.

It seems my sarcasm attempt went through to the keeper for a a lot of people.
NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Speaking only for myself, Swammi is autistic and noticed only the grammatical error: -- there should be a space between "shut" and "down."

BTW, some of the confused electrons were further inconvenienced by "went through to the keeper" until Google revealed this to be slang from the Land of Oz.

BTW, some of the confused electrons were further inconvenienced by "went through to the keeper" until Google revealed this to be slang from the Land of Oz.
See how these fora can broaden our horizons and knowledge and give us a greater appreciation of others. :cool:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on X: "Today in a nutshell (pix link)" / X
On her Apple Watch:
High Heart Rate
Your heart rate rose above 120 BPM while you seemed to be inactive for 10 minutes starting at 12:11 PM.

Loud Environment
Sound levels hit 90 decibels. Around 30 minutes at this level can cause temporary hearing loss.

JUST IN: James Comer Clashes With Summer Lee During Impeachment Inquiry Hearing - YouTube
SL claimed that the Republicans were trying to divert attention with their Biden impeachment hearings. She then listed how many constituents will have to go without pay in the districts of shutdown supporters. As she got to MTG's district, MTG herself stated that the "Democrat Party" is the party of shutdowns. SL noted some 200 thousand total, all ordinary people.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 on X: "The Democrats ..." / X
The Democrats are the party of shutdowns.

They tyrannically shutdown the American people during COVID and they are forcing a shutdown now.

Biden and Schumer said the House CR was dead on arrival bc they refuse to shutdown the border and only want the government to stay open.

Alan He on X: "MTG to @mkraju: ..." / X
Democrats are clearly fine with shut downs. They shut down the whole country over COVID for far too long… People here in Washington need to understand how it feels to be shut down.”
with video

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on X: "Here’s what went down: we just won a clean 45 day gov extension, stripped GOP’s earlier 30% cuts to Social Security admin etc, staved off last minute anti-immigrant hijinks, and averted shutdown (for now).
People will get paychecks and MTG threw a tantrum on the way out. Win-win" / X

Tony - Resistance on X: "Hakeem Jeffries and the House Dems won a clean 45 day government extension. They stripped MAGA Republicans demand for a 30% cut to Social Security. The House Democrats averted a government shutdown. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Matt Gaetz are furious with Speaker Kevin McCarthy. (pic link)" / X

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 on X: "Joe Biden ..." / X
Joe Biden and the Senate said the CR we voted on today in the House was dead on arrival.

That’s because Washington cares more about Ukraine than the American people.

Joe Biden is a hard NO, and until he starts to care about America, funding the government, and our border, we won’t get anywhere.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 on X: "I'm voting against ..." / X
I'm voting against the CR because I'm not going to be part of a system of failure.

I'm not going to fund a government that has a weaponized Department of Justice that is constantly prosecuting President Trump, pro-life protesters, and anybody they deem a political enemy, all while ignoring the murders and rapes and nonstop crime that happens here in our nation's capital.

I'm not going to fund a government that doesn't care about our own border, but that worships Ukraine. And I think every American knows why, because Joe Biden took millions of dollars when he was Vice President doing political favors for Burisma.
with video

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 on X: "Joe Biden ..." / X
Joe Biden treats Ukraine as the 51st state.

House Democrats treat Ukraine as the 51st state.

And the Senate, including Mitch McConnell, treats Ukraine as the 51st state.

House Democrats are ready to shut down OUR government if we don’t fund Ukraine’s.
with video

Temper tantrum indeed.

🇺🇸ColonelMAGAMark🇺🇸 on X: "@RepMTG @TheButz817 (pic link)" / X
Showing Rep. Jamaal Bowman pulling a fire alarm in the Cannon Office Building when he wanted to exit out a door.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 on X: "Fire alarm is going off in Cannon. (vid link)" / X

Manu Raju on X: "Bowman statement on pulling the fire alarm today (pic link)" / X
Congressman Jamaal Bowman released the following statement:

I want to personally clear up confusion surrounding today's events. Today, as I was rushing to make a vote, I came to a door that is usually open for votes but today would not open. I am embarrassed to admit that I activated the fire alarm, mistakenly thinking it would open the door. I regret this and sincerely apologize for any confusion this caused.

But I want to be very clear, this was not me, in any way, trying to delay any vote. It was the exact opposite -- I was trying urgently to get to a vote, which I ultimately did and joined my colleagues in a bipartisan effort to keep our government open. [ also met after the vote with the Sergeant at Arms and the Capitol Police, at their request, and explained what had happened. My hope is that no one will make more of this than it was. I am working hard every day, including today, to do my job, to do it well, and deliver for my constituents.

Peace and Love

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 on X: "(pic link)" / X
Marked Safe From
Insurrectionist Jamaal Bowman
Today

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 on X: "Democrat Rep. Jamaal Bowman ..." / X
Democrat Rep. Jamaal Bowman pulled the fire alarm in the Cannon building this afternoon and interrupted the official proceedings of the House as Republicans worked to keep the government open.

I’m calling on the DOJ to prosecute him using the same law they used to prosecute J6 defendants for interfering with an official proceeding.

The Democrats literally will do anything to shut OUR government down because billions aren’t going to their favorite country: Ukraine.
with video

Back
Top Bottom