• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Guys, would you wear this scarf?

I tried to get an additional opinion for you by asking my husband. All I got was, "What kind of man would wear a scarf?"

Yep! When I was a kid, everyone called it the afghan stitch, but now the internets calls it Tunisian crochet. I'm addicted.

That pattern is my own. It's just knit and purl stitches. I think for that one (before I frogged it and changed the pattern) was alternating 8 knit stitches with 2 purl stitches and then offsetting the pattern by one stitch every row. Then after a while, switch the direction of the offset to create the zig zag.

Here's a graph of the original pattern I made for the scarf.

zigzag-sm.png

I ended up changing it to just diagonal stripes, which was easier to stitch and also a less busy look for the scarf.

horizontal-sm.png

If you want either of these patterns, I can give you a larger file that's easier to see.

Also, in that image, you can see that I started out using simple stitches, but they went all wonky on me so I tried knit stitches instead. I didn't take it apart because I was fully expecting to frog the knit stitches and go back to the simple. I ended up starting over from scratch anyway, but just in case you were curious about the discrepancy in the pattern.

I tried to get an additional opinion for you by asking my husband. All I got was, "What kind of man would wear a scarf?"

:lol:

Hmmm, a man with a cold neck?

Yep! When I was a kid, everyone called it the afghan stitch, but now the internets calls it Tunisian crochet. I'm addicted.
Yeah, I’ve heard both. I made a nice looking scarf in that, but since my stitches were too tight, it was just nice looking, not nicely draping.
That pattern is my own. It's just knit and purl stitches.

I ended up changing it to just diagonal stripes, which was easier to stitch and also a less busy look for the scarf.

If you want either of these patterns, I can give you a larger file that's easier to see.
I like it. No need to send the image, I can figure it out from what you posted. That would be fun to try for a square in a crochet quilt I’m making.
Also, in that image, you can see that I started out using simple stitches, but they went all wonky on me so I tried knit stitches instead. I didn't take it apart because I was fully expecting to frog the knit stitches and go back to the simple. I ended up starting over from scratch anyway, but just in case you were curious about the discrepancy in the pattern.
I did notice the change - thanks for explaining. I had assumed you were doing a “cuff” kind of look to avoid the need for fringe.

Love all your work. :)

Yeah, I’ve heard both. I made a nice looking scarf in that, but since my stitches were too tight, it was just nice looking, not nicely draping.
Did anyone tell you to go at least two hook sizes up for tunisian? I didn't know that when I first tried it and the curling of the fabric was ridiculous.
I like it. No need to send the image, I can figure it out from what you posted. That would be fun to try for a square in a crochet quilt I’m making.
Very cool idea!
I did notice the change - thanks for explaining. I had assumed you were doing a “cuff” kind of look to avoid the need for fringe.

Love all your work. :)

Thank you. Encouraging words. :love:

Did anyone tell you to go at least two hook sizes up for tunisian? I didn't know that when I first tried it and the curling of the fabric was ridiculous.
Very cool idea!
I'll try that then. Good idea. Plus also just new-person error. It's always the first problem yanking the yarn after every stitch.

I got the pattern for a quilt-squares crochet blanket with mostly aran stitches in heavy wool. It's very thick and warm. But also acts as a sampler of sorts.

Kind of like this one, but in Colonial Blue and slightly different stitches because it's crochet

31932fb29190c986ecbf8a60604202fb.jpg

(Also posted in "What are you thinking/doing" threads)

Trying to decide which forum to start a Fiber Arts MegaThread. Lounge or Misc? Love seeing the Floof's work, love seeing the ideas ThomasII posts, and I expect there are other fiber artists in our midst making things I'd enjoy seeing.
  • Maybe one already exists?
  • Should it be a larger guild like general Arting and Crafting so we can see beadwork, woodwork, metal work etc also?

Very cool idea!
I'll try that then. Good idea. Plus also just new-person error. It's always the first problem yanking the yarn after every stitch.

I got the pattern for a quilt-squares crochet blanket with mostly aran stitches in heavy wool. It's very thick and warm. But also acts as a sampler of sorts.

Kind of like this one, but in Colonial Blue and slightly different stitches because it's crochet

View attachment 13515

That is so beautiful. I see those a lot and hope to make one some day. I have an idea for a super warm, giant, two-sided, quilted afghan in tunisian with a layer of fabric between. I so happens to also be a blue in my mind. I'm thinking a denim blue.

- - - Updated - - -

Attached images

:shrug:

Got a huge laugh from both of us.
then
"Yup. Not me. Glad they're happy."

:D

Did you tell him how super hot he would look wearing a scarf?

I did. I got the following:

"I know"
"And I bet every one of those poufdahs is standing on concrete."
"All right, Obama's legit."
"Is there a single one not an actor besides Obama?"
"Beckham may be an athlete, but he's still a professional entertainer."

:hylidae:

"I know"

:lol:

"I know"

main-qimg-2c8076bc76fecf92a74925b2698ead5d

johncarolyn.jpg

f1265f39624927eb172200e1054daa92--john-kennedy-jr-carolyn-bessette-kennedy.jpg

3BD0F16A00000578-4085260-image-a-13_1483473421473.jpg

image.jpg

1388702150_bill-hillary-clinton-zoom.jpg

Praetorian.jpg

WW2-Soldier-Scarf-400.jpg

Terracotta-Soldier-Scarf-500-2.jpg

snoopyaviator_crop.jpg

:dancy:

Last edited:
I wear scarves maybe two weeks of the year. And, yes, I'd wear your scarf. It looks soft.

And, I gotta say, Joe's scarf sux it compared to yours.

Back
Top Bottom