• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Guys, would you wear this scarf?

What's not to like about it?

I don't know. I'm uncertain about it. It looks kind of boring, but it's also soft and squishy. It also has a matching hat already made.

Soft and squishy is best! I have several scarves I picked up for $5 each. A lady at my old school makes them to keep her hands nimble from donated wool and the $5 goes to charity.

Unfortunately, Brisbane weather is not really conducive to scarf wearing.

What's not to like about it?

I don't know. I'm uncertain about it. It looks kind of boring, but it's also soft and squishy. It also has a matching hat already made.

Soft and squishy is best! I have several scarves I picked up for $5 each. A lady at my old school makes them to keep her hands nimble from donated wool and the $5 goes to charity.

:love: I like scarves, too. Light fabric scarves or warm winter ones.

It gets too hot here to have anything around your neck.

It does here in the summer, too. I like taking light scarves on long trips, especially on planes. It's comforting and useful.

^This. I own several scarves - a nice Merino wool and silk one in dark blue, that works well with a formal suit and overcoat; a couple of traditional woolen knits, including one really long one in maroon and blue; and a variety of football scarves for various teams and codes. But I rarely get to wear them - the Broncos scarf gets worn to evening matches in midwinter (in July it can get quite chilly after dark, even in Brisvegas). Most of the others have been in storage since I moved back to Queensland from Sydney. :(

I don't wear scarves very much. I tend to wear a scarf my mother gave me decades ago. But if someone I cared about gave me the scarf in the OP, I would wear it.

Not too think for a winter scarf.

I can't do that particular herringbone stitch. My knitting skills aren't up to that. There may be something similar in tunisian crochet.

I'm now working on another scarf and will go back to the man's scarf later. This one is blue and honeycomb stitch in tunisian.

Not too think for a winter scarf.

I can't do that particular herringbone stitch. My knitting skills aren't up to that. There may be something similar in tunisian crochet.

I'm now working on another scarf and will go back to the man's scarf later. This one is blue and honeycomb stitch in tunisian.

I've never used a summer scarf. Only winter scarves. We got snow here! :)

I ripped two of the scarves apart and redid them in the entrelac pattern instead. I think I'm happy with these. They're ready to be fringed and blocked.

entrelac_sm..jpg

The project in the OP has been frogged and restitched so many times I lost count. Horrible yarn to work with. Squiggly and tiny and snaggy and no elasticity.

Finally I tried two strands at once and a larger hook. Eureka! Strangely, this yarn double-stranded is suddenly not at all snaggy or splitty and it's just awesome to work with. It's flowing through my fingers like heaven. It's like it turned into a whole different yarn.

The scarf is now just a plain stitch of extended simple stitch (xtss?) with a few rows of honeycomb stitch at the beginning and will be on the other end the same for sturdier corners, and it's all double stranded. The yarn is a gradually changing ombre type of colorway. I didn't match up the color changes in the two strands, just pulled together both ends of the yarn, one from the center pull and one from the outer wound end. So far, so good.

20171226_233721[751].jpg

I ripped two of the scarves apart and redid them in the entrelac pattern instead. I think I'm happy with these. They're ready to be fringed and blocked.

View attachment 13753
I'd wear those scarves very happily, especially the one on the right. They would not get a lot of use though. Where I live the temperature drops below freezing three days a year on average and then only just, usually an hour or two before sunrise. I've actually seen a thin layer of ice in the pets' outside drinking bowl twice in the past 13 years.

The project in the OP has been frogged and restitched so many times I lost count. Horrible yarn to work with. Squiggly and tiny and snaggy and no elasticity.

Finally I tried two strands at once and a larger hook. Eureka! Strangely, this yarn double-stranded is suddenly not at all snaggy or splitty and it's just awesome to work with. It's flowing through my fingers like heaven. It's like it turned into a whole different yarn.

The scarf is now just a plain stitch of extended simple stitch (xtss?) with a few rows of honeycomb stitch at the beginning and will be on the other end the same for sturdier corners, and it's all double stranded. The yarn is a gradually changing ombre type of colorway. I didn't match up the color changes in the two strands, just pulled together both ends of the yarn, one from the center pull and one from the outer wound end. So far, so good.

View attachment 13824

I think she's got it! By George, she's got it! :D

Back
Top Bottom