• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How should west respond to potential (likely) Russian invasion of Ukraine?

Russians discussing nuclear options.

Effing scary.

Propaganda. The Rascists might do something at Zaporizhzhia. That's a real possibility, and then call it a missile strike from Ukraine. But they aren't going to nuke in the conventional sense. They never have in the past and aren't about to start.

Effing scary.

On one hand, it is scary. Russia just might be insane enough to use nuclear weapons. This is why US and NATO have to have a plan how to react if A) Russia uses tactical nuclear weapons in Ukraine, and B) Russia uses strategic nuclear weapons against the west when the west retaliates for the former. Giving in to nuclear blackmail is not an option. If Russia uses nukes, we need to be prepared to join the war and liberate the occupied territories, including Crimea, as well as attack Russian or Belarusian territory where the missiles are launched from. And even more importantly, we need to make sure Russia knows with 100% certainty that we will do this.

On the other hand, Russian talking heads yapping about nuclear weapons means they don't think they can win by conventional means. So this is kind of a good news.

Reactions: SLD

Effing scary.

Propaganda. The Rascists might do something at Zaporizhzhia. That's a real possibility, and then call it a missile strike from Ukraine. But they aren't going to nuke in the conventional sense. They never have in the past and aren't about to start.

Like Stoltenberg said a while back, even if the probability is low, the consequences of nuclear war are so high that the scenario can't be completely ignored.

Giving in to nuclear blackmail is not an option though.

Ahh yes. I'm sure the entire species wants to go back to the cold war era where we thought of a nuclear threat every second of our lives. Russian leadership sure knows how to rally us behind them. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ahh yes. I'm sure the entire species wants to go back to the cold war era where we thought of a nuclear threat every second of our lives. Russian leadership sure knows how to rally us behind them. :rolleyes:
Almost like they’ve been living in Russia too long!

I've been following the Ukraine counteroffensive, and so far, Ukrainian troops have gone only a few kilometers into Russian-held territory in the south, territory near Zaporizhia.

A big problem is that the Russians have built lots of fortifications, and these will slow down Ukraine's advance.

Looks like Ukraine is destroying bridges from Crimea to cut supply lines to Russian forces outside of Crimea.

KYIV (Reuters) -Ukrainian missiles struck one of the few bridges linking the Crimea Peninsula with the Ukrainian mainland early on Thursday, cutting one of the main supply routes for Russian occupation forces in southern Ukraine as Kyiv pushes to drive them out.

L
(That road looks like some our roads in country Victoria.)
Looks like the street in front of my house.

But I did see other photos showing blast craters.

Russia has dumped some cars on the bridge to try to make it look like Ukraine hit civilian traffic... but they're doing it with their usual incompetence.

Cars blown over across the bridge? One car being crushed... by what? Missing wheels?

Russia has dumped some cars on the bridge to try to make it look like Ukraine hit civilian traffic... but they're doing it with their usual incompetence.

Cars blown over across the bridge? One car being crushed... by what? Missing wheels?

And we'll see them using it for propaganda purposes.

Video gives a better view of the damage. It's worse than I suspected. That hole is definitely large enough to put the structural integrity in question.

Effing scary.

I think the point is to scare. If Putin would use nukes I’m pretty sure his only remaining allies would turn on him. He knows that

No, they wouldn't. A small nuclear bomb used in Ukraine wouldn't be a red line to China or Iran.

It wouldn't matter what China or Iran thought or did. If Russia starts using nuclear weapons, it would be suicidal for NATO not to respond with overwhelming force. Perhaps only conventional force if the provocation were a single very low yield battlefield nuke; But certainly not the current pussyfooting business of supplying tanks and artillery, but not troops.

If Russia used nuclear weapons and wasn't immediately faced with annihilation by NATO, it would be as diplomatically disastrous as allowing Hitler to seize the Sudetenland was.

The use of nuclear weapons has to be a trigger for being smacked down with extreme prejudice, or Putin will feel he has carte blanche to invade any neighbour he wants.

I would like to hope that Putin has already been told in no uncertain terms that any use of nuclear weapons by Russian forces will result in an immediate American nuclear strike on his last known location, whether that's Moscow or anywhere else, and follow up strikes (should he survive) until he is confirmed dead.

The responsibility for any Russian use of nuclear weapons lies with Putin, and so it should result in his immediate execution by any means possible; And the same should go for anyone else who initiates the use of nuclear weapons.

Back
Top Bottom