• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Humorous Metaphors

Atheos

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Skeptic
A witty response without a great metaphor is as worthless as a vampire marooned on an island with nothing but turnips. I'll be hanging around here like a fart in a phone booth hoping to hear some new ones to add to my repertoire.

I hope you don't have to hang around too long. If i recall correctly you've got the attention span of a lit firecracker.

A witty response without a great metaphor is as worthless as a vampire marooned on an island with nothing but turnips. I'll be hanging around here like a fart in a phone booth hoping to hear some new ones to add to my repertoire.

These are similes. Similes are the speed bumps of poetry. Metaphors are the fast lane.

"She walked through my door like a tigress walks into a Burmese orphanage — strawberry blonde and legs for hours. No dame her age could afford a coat like that, and the kinda makeup she had on gave me a good idea how she got it. She had bad news written on her like October of '29."

Last edited:
Bronzeage said

These are similes. Similes are the speed bumps of poetry. Metaphors are the fast lane.

Second that.

And, except for what he said, still not a metaphor in sight in this simile-strewn desert... :)

She blew into my life like a tornado looking for a trailer park. I asked her if we'd metaphore, and she said no, she'd have remembered, 'cause I was making her as nervous as a spinster in a barrel full of dicks. I told her I was taken, and she sneered "well ain't you about as useless as tits on a boar hog!" She was a real witch, that one.

She blew into my life like a tornado looking for a trailer park. I asked her if we'd metaphore, and she said no, she'd have remembered, 'cause I was making her as nervous as a spinster in a barrel full of dicks. I told her I was taken, and she sneered "well ain't you about as useless as tits on a boar hog!" She was a real witch, that one.

I thought it was as useful as tits on a bull, or showering with a raincoat on. :D

one of my favorite similes:

"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"

"You ask a glass of water."

Many times, a thumper appears in a skeptic or atheist forum, and when his preaching is not taken at face value, he likens his words as throwing 'pearls before swine.'
One poster retorted:
These gumballs you toss are by no means pearls. They are hollow, fragile and totally lacking in any nutritional value, mental or otherwise

All this bickering over metaphor vs simile is as pointless as a life raft made of alka-seltzer. I'm as sorry as a puppy who just dug up a yellowjacket nest for my gaffe in the OP. Meanwhile, keep 'em coming; this shit's got me grinnin' like a mule eatin' briars!

My personal favorite is "as happy as an old dog in a room full of kittens" mostly because you can interpret it in a sweet and innocent way, or a horrifying violent way.

Lately I've been using "as dumb as a Texas Republican" a lot.

Back
Top Bottom