• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Looks Like Cosby May Walk

No, it does not. It makes the scores of women he abused victims of prosecutorial misconduct.
Nobody is contesting the fact that he did what he was accused of.

I don't see it that way.
Cosby is a sleazebag. No disagreements there. A "whitened sepulchre", to quote the Bible. (all puns intended). But I don't think he is a rapist, rather an opportunist.

He wasn't convicted of opportunism, Tom. His conviction (for sexual assault) was vacated on procedural grounds, not overturned on factual grounds.

No, it does not. It makes the scores of women he abused victims of prosecutorial misconduct.
Nobody is contesting the fact that he did what he was accused of.

I don't see it that way.
Cosby is a sleazebag. No disagreements there. A "whitened sepulchre", to quote the Bible. (all puns intended). But I don't think he is a rapist, rather an opportunist.

He wasn't convicted of opportunism, Tom. His conviction (for sexual assault) was vacated on procedural grounds, not overturned on factual grounds.

He was wrongfully convicted.

Can we agree upon that part?
Tom

He was wrongfully convicted.

Can we agree upon that part?
Tom

I don't agree with that. His rights were violated in obtaining the conviction.

What's the difference?

If a cop plants weed in a bad guy's car and gets them convicted, you're OK with that? The bad guy's rights were violated, but it's morally OK to violate rights as long as your preferred outcome happens?
Tom

What's the difference?

If a cop plants weed in a bad guy's car and gets them convicted, you're OK with that? The bad guy's rights were violated, but it's morally OK to violate rights as long as your preferred outcome happens?
Tom
The Cosby case falls under  Errors of impunity, not  Wrongful conviction.

Wikipedia said:
Errors of impunity are defined as lapses in the justice system that result in criminals either remaining at large or receiving sanctions that are below a socially optimal level.

TomC, wrongfully convicted means the person was innocent of the crime they were convicted of. Are you saying Cosby was innocent?

If a cop plants weed in a bad guy's car and gets them convicted, you're OK with that?

This might be a good analogy if the cops planted roofies in Cosby's house to make him look guilty. Can you come up with a more appropriate analogy to make your case?

What's the difference?

Tom
Cosby's testimony that he conspired to give women Quaaludes was inadmissible based on the agreement put together for him to testify at a civil trial. That testimony was critical to his conviction. So he was convicted of a crime he pretty much admitted to using evidence that was not admissible.

Your example has no parallel as it indicates that the crime was staged to begin with.

TomC, wrongfully convicted means the person was innocent of the crime they were convicted of.

That's not what I mean by the term.

If a drug dealer gets pulled over by a cop, and doesn't have any product in his car, but the police plant some and get a conviction, he's both guilty and also wrongfully convicted.

Are you saying Cosby was innocent?

"Innocent"?
No, he's a douchebag. That much is clear. Not innocent.

But not a rapist either. There's a huge gray area between innocent, douchebag, and rapist.

Powerful men attract sleazy women accustomed to manipulating men with sex. T'was ever thus. Doesn't mean all the sex they choose to have is rape. Personally, I think diluting the term rape to include any sex someone wishes they hadn't had is a problem. Constand wishes she hadn't banged Cosby. But Cosby didn't rape her either.
Tom

If a cop plants weed in a bad guy's car and gets them convicted, you're OK with that?

This might be a good analogy if the cops planted roofies in Cosby's house to make him look guilty. Can you come up with a more appropriate analogy to make your case?

Planting evidence isn't the only possible form of prosecutorial misconduct leading to a wrongful conviction.
Tommy

Planting evidence isn't the only possible form of prosecutorial misconduct leading to a wrongful conviction.

As per your example, prosecutors do not plant evidence. Can you come up with a more appropriate analogy to make your case?

Who was the prosecutor? Why, it was Donald Trump's impeachment defense attorney, Bruce Castor.

I'm not making the case that Cosby is innocent. I've posted that before.
Tom

Than avoid saying he was wrongfully convicted and problem solved? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think that he was wrongfully convicted. I thought that before the court ruling about prosecutorial misconduct.

That's not the same as innocent.

It's rather ironic that you keep insisting that the USA judiciary treated a black man fairly. That isn't your usual line.
Tom

I'm not making the case that Cosby is innocent. I've posted that before.
Tom

Than avoid saying he was wrongfully convicted and problem solved? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think that he was wrongfully convicted. I thought that before the court ruling about prosecutorial misconduct.

It's rather ironic that you keep insisting that the USA judiciary treated a black man fairly. That isn't your usual line.
Tom

Aaaight Aaaiight. Yup yup. Roger that (slowly backs away and exits chat room).

Tom

Aaaight Aaaiight. Yup yup. Roger that (slowly backs away and exits chat room).

I understand your unwillingness to respond. Makes perfect sense to me.
Tom

Wikipedia has an article titled 'List of honorary degrees awarded to Bill Cosby'. Total, 72, many of them Doctor of Humane Letters or Doctor of Fine Arts. Rescinded: 62, almost all of them rescinded in the time period from the arraignment to the conviction. There's a nice dilemma for honorary degree boards.

Back
Top Bottom