• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Male patients asked if they are pregnant at NHS Trust

You've given the impression that you simply do not care about the feelings of men, but I do.
And to you, a man being told he might be mistaken for a woman (even if the widespread use of the policy means that he will soon know that everyone is asked, and indeed the caregiver could even say so)

IS MORE IMPORTANT

than a pregnant person being given a treatment that could harm the pregnancy.
A man’s feelings are MORE IMPORTANT than a healthy pregnancy.

That’s swell.

And to you, a man being told he might be mistaken for a woman (even if the widespread use of the policy means that he will soon know that everyone is asked, and indeed the caregiver could even say so)

IS MORE IMPORTANT

than a pregnant person being given a treatment that could harm the pregnancy.
This is a conclusion manufactured from whole cloth.

All females should be asked if they are pregnant. Only females can get pregnant.

There was no evidence whatsoever that the policy was changed because some pregnant women or their babies had been harmed by the previous policy.

A man’s feelings are MORE IMPORTANT than a healthy pregnancy.

That’s swell.
I don't know if you genuinely believe this conclusion to flow from my premises and arguments, but if you do, your reasoning is very poor and/or obviously motivated.

The reality is mistakes happen. You set the system up to minimize them.
The system was already set up like that. The hospital asked all females if they were pregnant. The change was the result of trans-affirmation policy, not any defects in the previous policy.
How do you know the hospital asked all females? How do you know the hospital never asked males? What did the hospital do when intersex individuals were about to undergo one of the procedures the law was referring to?
The previous policy, as is the current policy in other NHS Trust hospitals, is to ask females.

I do not know that the hospital always asked all females or that males were never asked, but if there had been some sort of problem with females going unasked I assume that would have been mentioned.

Perhaps that's the problem. You assume the old pre-treatment policies were damn near perfect therefore any change makes things worse, even when the new policy eliminates guesswork and reduces the chance something important might be overlooked.

'Intersex' individuals are still either male or female.

Your arguments are based on the assumption that females were never overlooked, males were never incorrectly identified, and that it's so insulting to males to be treated exactly the same as females that hospital policies must always differentiate between the sexes even when it's more efficient to just ask everyone the same set of questions.
No, my arguments need no such assumptions, and I have specifically corrected you on your last point before. I have never said hospital questions must always differentiate by sex - that is a concoction you have formulated from whole cloth and now have falsely repeated. Please stop it.
You never said hospital questions must always differentiate by sex but you've been quite vociferous in your objection to hospitals no longer doing so in this instance, and you have been a strident defender of discrimination by sex in other threads.
If there were ever a justification to discriminate by sex, this must surely be the apex case. By definition, no human male has ever been pregnant. There are no four sided triangles.

It isn't a justification to discriminate by sex, though.

The only way to determine a person's sex is through a fairly comprehensive examination, and even then it's going to be difficult in certain cases. OTOH, asking everyone the same questions regardless of sex is simple and easy, and reduces the chance a pregnant individual might be overlooked.

Why go the more difficult route of determining sex before presenting forms to be filled out when one can just treat everyone the same and give them all the same form?

What I get from your posts is that you think it "may be regarded as demeaning or insulting" to males when they are lumped in with females.
Then you have 'gotten' the wrong thing. It can be demeaning or insulting for men to be mistaken for women, unless they are deliberately trying to pass as women.

That's pretty standard sexism and misogyny there.

There is nothing "demeaning" about being mistaken for a woman unless you really do think women are less than men. Otherwise, it's just a case of mistaken identity on a par with mistaking one person with short brown hair for another. And anyway, such mistakes are bound to happen as society moves away from sexist dress codes, sexist ideas about acceptable use of cosmetics and hair styles, and all the other gendered nonsense about appearances.
It "may be regarded as demeaning or insulting" if their appearance isn't enough to cause people to treat them differently if not preferentially.
No. Stop repeating this falsehood. Just stop it. I've corrected you more than once. It can be demeaning and insulting for men to be confused as women especially if the men are not trying to pass as women. I don't know why you can't accept this. It is not about 'preferential' treatment.

The preferential treatment in this case is having a special set of questions asked of men, and only men, because apparently you hate the thought of one single set of questions being asked of everyone if it includes things like "are you pregnant?". You think men will find it insulting and demeaning to be asked the exact same questions women, females, gender non-conforming, non-binary, and intersex individuals are asked.
Men and boys with gynecomastia are teased mercilessly for their condition. The people doing the teasing know their insults are based on the appearance of men who have a feature more typical of women. Similarly, women can be insulted by claiming they look like men.

Championing sexism does nothing for such men except justify the teasing because sexism is what makes it "demeaning" for men to be thought of as having the same characteristics as women.

It "may be regarded as demeaning or insulting" if males are asked the exact same questions as females in a hospital setting as though what's in their pants and chromosomes isn't important.
No. Stop. Stop doing this. Stop manufacturing these falsehoods and pretending I said or implied them.

What exactly is "demeaning or insulting" about being asked if you are or might be pregnant before undergoing a procedure that can be very damaging to a fetus?
I am going to explain once more and then I'm not going to do it again.

Some men might feel very sensitive about being mistaken for women. You've given the impression that you simply do not care about the feelings of men, but I do. A man being asked if he could be pregnant could be read to mean the person asking that question thinks he looks like a woman. It could also be read to mean the person asking the question isn't paying attention to their job.
I care about their feelings just as much as I care about the feelings of an overweight woman being asked when the baby is due. But I don't see those feelings as a reason to not use a single standard set of questions prior to certain medical procedures that can negatively impact a developing fetus.

No one is asking those questions to be mean or to make someone feel bad about themselves. And no one is being singled out, either. Everyone is treated the same. If there is a lack of respect for some then it's a lack of respect for all, and the lack of respect is the problem with how they are treated, not the sameness.

Last edited:
Perhaps that's the problem. You assume the old pre-treatment policies were damn near perfect therefore any change makes things worse, even when the new policy eliminates guesswork and reduces the chance something important might be overlooked.
If there had been a problem, it would make sense for the article to have articulated that problem. There is no evidence whatever that there was a problem. But even if there had been a problem, that does not mean 'ask everyone' was the best solution.
It isn't a justification to discriminate by sex, though.
Of course it is.
The only way to determine a person's sex is through a fairly comprehensive examination, and even then it's going to be difficult in certain cases. OTOH, asking everyone the same questions regardless of sex is simple and easy, and reduces the chance a pregnant individual might be overlooked.

Why go the more difficult route of determining sex before presenting forms to be filled out when one can just treat everyone the same and give them all the same form?
Sex has already been recorded. Have you ever been to hospital or visited somebody in a hospital?
There is nothing "demeaning" about being mistaken for a woman unless you really do think women are less than men.
Well, that's bullshit. People don't like being assumed or mistaken for something they are not. I don't like it when people assume I'm heterosexual, and it's not because I think heterosexuals are less than homosexuals.

Otherwise, it's just a case of mistaken identity on a par with mistaking one person with short brown hair for another.
You can't really believe that, surely?

And anyway, such mistakes are bound to happen as society moves away from sexist dress codes, sexist ideas about acceptable use of cosmetics and hair styles, and all the other gendered nonsense about appearances.
Except it's not a mistake. The new policy ensures people who are known to be male will be asked the question, and they are not being asked out of health and safety reasons, but political ones.
The preferential treatment in this case is having a special set of questions asked of men, and only men, because apparently you hate the thought of one single set of questions being asked of everyone if it includes things like "are you pregnant?". You think men will find it insulting and demeaning to be asked the exact same questions women, females, gender non-conforming, non-binary, and intersex individuals are asked.
It isn't a special set of questions. The principal here is "ask people the questions that are relevant to them and their condition". Some of those questions are determined by sex.

But I'm not responding to your ridiculous falsehood once again.
Championing sexism does nothing for such men except justify the teasing because sexism is what makes it "demeaning" for men to be thought of as having the same characteristics as women.
Recognising that sex has biological implications is not sexism.
I care about their feelings just as much as I care about the feelings of an overweight woman being asked when the baby is due. But I don't see those feelings as a reason to not use a single standard set of questions prior to certain medical procedures that can negatively impact a developing fetus.
There was no indication that the previous model had any problems whatsoever. The new policy is not a response to a deficiency in the old model, and it will create a number of other problems which I have already articulated.
No one is asking those questions to be mean or to make someone feel bad about themselves.
The policy was changed for political, and not medical, reasons.

Health care policy based on political fashion is dangerous and stupid.

Honestly, I know of no "women only" spaces that don't have stalls with doors. There is no reason for a penis to be displayed at our local pool, in the women's changing room. Even taking a shower doesn't require being nude. You can easily shower off the sweat or chlorine with your suit on.

I think that most of this problem results from trans folks who enjoy being despised and feeling persecuted.
Tom

You don't know of any... and yet they do exist. The yoga studio I used to go to had only one toilet in the ladies locker room, and it had a door. There were two showers, with curtains, but they opened directly onto the communal locker and changing area. Showering in yogau gear would be... awkward and very weird.

Many middle and high school gym locker rooms don't have a bunch of private stalls, usually very few. Mine had two toilets in the change area, the showers were divided by shoulder-height walls with curtains, but they were in the center of the locker area, which was quite open.

Then there are Korean spas and similar such areas where nudity is the expectation for the area. But that nudity is *expected* to be sex-separated.

Even if we back off from "you don't know of any"... What you're suggesting is effectively that a great many women must change their behavior in locker rooms, seek privacy, bath in clothing, etc... in order to make a very few people with penises more comfortable in the area.

Unless you're actually trying to suggest that transwomen should go change in stalls and bath in their suits?

The analogy is that the it is "feelings of _____" that is driving the discussion not who the people are. To be clear, that means the answers to your questions is NO.
But for the analogy to even have a smidgeon of reason to it, you need to be assuming that women are the ones in power, who are unfairly discriminating against an oppressed and disenfranchised group of men.

Otherwise... you're also arguing that white people should have right as entitlement to enter and partake in "black only" events or organizations aimed at providing opportunity for black people. Would you make that argument? Will you take up Rachel Dolezal's mantle and argue that by dint of her identifying as black, it is right and proper that she should lead an organization founded to address the inequality of black people in the US? Based on the self-declared identity of a white person, their feelings trump the reality of the discrimination experienced by black people?

How does asking only females about their pregnancy possibility harm the mental health and well being of 'gender nonconforming' people?
It harms the mental health of transmen when the world acknowledges that despite their beard they are still female. It harms the mental health of transwomen when the world acknowledges that despite their boobs they are still male.

The reality of the entire world harms the mental health of "gender nonconforming" people, as that phrase is being used. It used to just mean Prince & Annie Lennox. Now it means that the person who bends gender norms cannot be acknowledged as their actual sex.

Asking possible males if they are pregnant or intend to become pregnant takes about one second, and their answering the question takes maybe two seconds if they really have to think about it.

Doing a comprehensive genital/gonad exam before asking the questions on a pre-treatment form takes a lot longer.

But I suppose it's important to check what's in their pants and karyotypes because Kami forbid we hurt someone's feelings by not caring about their looks.
This is entirely disingenuous. Unless you think all transpeople are complete morons, maybe? Or that nurses are absolute dolts? Or you've bought into the absurd argument that nobody can ever tell anybody's sex without investigating their nethers?

For 99% of people, their sex is readily apparent from their faces alone. Even the butchiest lesbian is still going to clock as a woman, because humans are *wired* to identify sex. Sure, some very few people are going to fall in that 1%. And if so, it is on them to inform the doctor what their sex is.

It's on me to inform the doctor of my medical conditions. My medical forms used to have a box for sex, and EVERYONE understood that it was asking for your actual fucking sex, not your gender identity. A doctor or nurse should be able to ask a person their sex for the form, and get an HONEST answer. And then males do NOT need to be asked whether they might be pregnant, because MALES CANNOT GET PREGNANT. And if a transman is stupid enough to fucking LIE to the doctor about their sex because it hurts their emotions to admit that they are female... I don't see why EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD should be expected to enable their fears and their emotional delicacy.

Seriously, I get that everyone wants to be nice. That's great. But you're asking that 99% of people toughen up and don't be such delicate babies... so that 1% can continue to be delicate babies. You want to make a whole lot of people uncomfortable, so that a very few people don't have to be uncomfortable.

Standard size restaurant chairs are very uncomfortable for me. Due to my short legs not being able to reach the ground, and a bit of congenital lordosis, they end up giving me a raging migraine if I sit in them for more than about 45 minutes. Would you support me insisting that all restaurant chairs need to be 5 inches shorter so that I can avoid discomfort... even if it makes the vast majority of other people less comfortable?

I'm not talking about mental health. I'm saying that it is not always obvious whether someone is male or female. Period. Full stop.
Having a standard set of patient questions helps avoid any mistakes.
In very rare instances, sure. So what the fuck is wrong with asking a patient their sex and expecting an honest answer from them? Sex impacts far more than the possibility of pregnancy, and it's something that should ALWAYS be collected. But if we've already collected that a person is male... what is the point of asking whether they might be pregnant? And what the fuck is wrong with expecting that someone who has undergone cosmetic procedures to alter their appearance so that their sex is not clear should take responsibility for their own safety and health?

Unless you're actually trying to suggest that transwomen should go change in stalls and bath in their suits?
That's exactly what I'm suggesting.

How about I put it this way, "If you want me to respect your preference of gendered pronouns, then respect my preference to change clothes in a room without a penis."?
Tom

I think there was a greater chance pregnancies were overlooked when the hospital staff relied on their impressions about the age and sex of patients when deciding which questions to ask prior to treatment. Just as there was a greater chance of underage baseball fans buying beer before the rule change to make everyone present ID.
I doubt it. Some few might have been missed... but for non-emergency situations, it's incumbent on the patient to be honest about their chance of pregnancy. If it's a very young girl who has been sexually active and might actually be pregnant, it's still on her to make sure she answers "yes" when asked. If it's an older women, my age, who is unlikely but technically possible, it's on me to provide honest and accurate information. If it's a transman then it's still their responsibility to make sure that their potential pregnancy is known by the doctor.

And every time I've gone to an emergency room, or had surgery, or needed to be sedated, the doctors have ALWAYS done a blood test for pregnancy, regardless of what I've answered.

It says the reason is because the Government removed the word "female" from the law governing some medical procedures and replaced it with "individuals", changing those who should be questioned from "females of childbearing age" to "individuals of childbearing potential", leading some hospital trusts to the perfectly reasonable conclusion that they should ask individuals seeking those medical procedures if they are or might be pregnant.
Have you stepped back and asked yourself whether or not that removal of the word "female" makes any sense whatsoever? Why would the government do it? What purpose would it serve? Does it make healthcare better for the majority of people? Or does it assuage a political lobby?

I'm not talking about mental health. I'm saying that it is not always obvious whether someone is male or female. Period. Full stop.
Having a standard set of patient questions helps avoid any mistakes.
In very rare instances, sure. So what the fuck is wrong with asking a patient their sex and expecting an honest answer from them? Sex impacts far more than the possibility of pregnancy, and it's something that should ALWAYS be collected. But if we've already collected that a person is male... what is the point of asking whether they might be pregnant? And what the fuck is wrong with expecting that someone who has undergone cosmetic procedures to alter their appearance so that their sex is not clear should take responsibility for their own safety and health?
Well, as Loren mentioned, it opens up the possibility of needing to ask two questions: What is your sex? Are you pregnant or planning to be pregnant? Instead of just the second question. Programmers and people who write forms do not like this.

The other is that sick patients do not always answer accurately. I've had people I knew were intelligent answer questions quite incorrectly because they were very ill or exhausted or worried or stressed out. One was my husband who was giving wildly inaccurate responses to the person taking his medical history.

I am not convinced that if you asked every single transsexual man what his sex was that he would answer female. Not out of a desire to be inaccurate or to mislead but because he embraced male as his identity. You'd be surprised by the number of people who do not think the way a medical person taking a history is thinking.

A random tech has no business knowing what my genitals are or look like. Zero. None.
A medical tech doesn't need to know what your genitals look like, true. And nobody is asking whether you're circumsized, what your length is, etc. And nobody is asking to fucking see them and you know it.

But there are many situations where your SEX matters in medicine. FFS, anesthesia works differently and needs different mixes for males and females! And a transgender person sure as fuck better tell their anesthesiologist their actual sex as well as whether they're taking exogenous hormones, and their dosages, or they risk serious problems during surgery!

It says the reason is because the Government removed the word "female" from the law governing some medical procedures and replaced it with "individuals", changing those who should be questioned from "females of childbearing age" to "individuals of childbearing potential", leading some hospital trusts to the perfectly reasonable conclusion that they should ask individuals seeking those medical procedures if they are or might be pregnant.
Have you stepped back and asked yourself whether or not that removal of the word "female" makes any sense whatsoever? Why would the government do it? What purpose would it serve? Does it make healthcare better for the majority of people? Or does it assuage a political lobby?
I actually have a problem with erasing the word female, especially within the context of medical settings but also legal and legislative settings. It's onerous enough that male seems to be taken as THE standard. It bugs the heck out of me to have official language be pregnant person instead of pregnant woman (or girl. Sadly, it can be pregnant girl).

That does not mean that I don't understand the reasons a medical facility would decide to ask the question of all patients.

So for the reason deprived:

If you are going by "birth certificate" declarations, which few people have ever not, in the broad history of our planet, "male" and "female" are a classification on the basis of genital appearance.

Putting "male" on a chart, on that basis, is describing genitals implicitly.

Ergo sharing "male" rather than "cannot become pregnant" is extraneous and gratuitous.
Just so you can increase your knowledge, a person's sex has a significant impact on a LOT of treatment, that doesn't depend on pregnancy status. "Cannot become pregnant" doesn't distinguish between a 4 year old girl, a 78 year old woman, and a 32 year old man. But their SEX is actually a very important piece of medical information.

A huge number of drugs work differently in females than in males. Physical therapy approaches vary by sex because we're skeletally and muscularly different. Males and females are different in ways that are quite separate from whether we've got a cock or a coochie.

You keep coming back to this "someone's genitals are nobody's business", as if the literal only difference between men and women is their pink parts. And that's false. It's also, by the way, an incredibly MALE way to look at the issue. That perspective, that MEN are the standard and women are just men with different parts, is a major reason why so many women have negative outcomes, don't get properly diagnosed, and suffer more extreme and unexpected side effects from many prescription drugs. It's why heart attacks in women didn't even get noticed until within the last few decades - nobody ever bothered to review the symptoms of women, and assumed that women would have the same symptoms as men.

Option 1: Make sure you catch all possible pregnant persons before the pregnancy-harming procedure by asking people if they are pregnant
Option 2: Protect the feelings of anti-trans people
:rolleyes:
Option 3: Verify the patient's SEX and expect an honest fucking answer.

I expect hat if I were asked if I were pregnant when I went to the doctor's or hospital, I would mot likely find it amusing, unless I was in a bad mood, in which case I would find it annoying,. But in both instances, that feeling would fleeting, and I would move on.
Me too.

Now, why wouldn't we also expect that a transgender person being asked their SEX would not ALSO be able to give an accurate answer and move on?

Back
Top Bottom