• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Male patients asked if they are pregnant at NHS Trust

Protecting the health and well being of those who are not gender conforming is 'no good reason?'
Do you think that people who are gender nonconforming are stupid, or mentally disabled? Are they incapable of speaking up when it is relevant and telling a doctor what their SEX is, knowing that it's not apparent and is relevant?

You're assuming they know it's relevant.

I've been surprised at the eye doctor taking interest in the fact that I have had malaria. I had no idea at all there was any relevance.

How often do you think that in radiology, they will draw blood on an unconscious patient in order to determine male/female?
How often do you think that in radiology they will ask a person whether they might be pregnant if they're unconscious?

BTW, male/female is NOT always accurate by blood test. It's not on/off, black/white 100% of the time. I know it's a really long pair of posts but upthread, I posted some variations on so called biological sex.
Yeah, no, you posted a twitter screed by someone who *claims* to be a biology teacher, who is busy conflating a whole bunch of things that ACTUAL biologists would reject as entirely fallacious and unscientific reasoning.

Sex is defined based on the type of gamete around which your reproductive anatomy is arranged. That does not require you to actually produce those gametes, nor does it require that every single element of that anatomy be present, nor does it require that your phenotype is typical for your sex, nor does it require that your karyotype is typical for your sex.

This holds true for the human species, as well as for EVERY OTHER mammal on the entire planet. It holds true for the overwhelming majority of vertebrates. It EVEN holds true for those very few species that actually CAN change sex, such as clownfish. When a clownfish's anatomy is arranged around the production of small mobile gametes, they are male. When they change and their anatomy is arranged around the production of large sessile gametes, they are female.

Furthermore, you are appealing to the existence of people with deleterious medical conditions related to their sexual development... as if it has anything at all to do with transgender identities. It has NOTHING to do with transgender identities. It is entirely and completely irrelevant to this topic.
I actually checked her out. She’s a biologist and has published a number of papers in refereed journals.

I was unaware that you held an advanced degree in developmental biology.

I’m also not certain what you think is the reason that some individuals are transgender see. I think I’d like to understand more about that.

This topic is someone’s mental down because some medical facilities in another country decided to make questions about potential pregnancy universal.

The meltdown seems to be about some very rigid thinking about what constitutes make and what constitutes female without recognizing the existence of individuals for whom this is not a simple question of male/female. Or recognizing that some individuals have a lot of biological ambiguity.

We take a lot of things as standard or the norm. I myself have a couple of anomalies which haven’t caused me any difficulties and in fact, one has in some ways made my life easier. It’s nothing that could be discovered by usual exam but something that is important I make my medical providers aware of. Not something I’m going to share here because it’s irrelevant.

IRL people deviate from whatever standard we like to set as the norm. Sometimes, these deviations are important. Sometimes they are not. Usually it depends on the circumstances.

Asking a comprehensive set of questions of all patients is the best way to ensure that all relevant medical information is gathered.

Man, every thread "expose their penises" is brought up by you. Makes it sound like you are saying transgender are perverts when you use the word "expose". Conservatives seem to have this issue with not understanding an individual's rights aren't an affront to their individual rights.

Emily Lake wants a world where people have to abide by what she wants, regardless how prude it might be.
As opposed to the one you want, in which Darren Menager and Lia Thomas are ENTITLED to walk around sex-separated nude spaces with their dicks a-dangling, regardless of how uncomfortable it makes all of the women there.
And again, this seems to be the only thing that matters about the entire discussion, because you can't stop referencing it. In a thread about a medical questionnaire in another country, you bring out the flopping testicles.
Because it's much more important to you that some males get to have their feelings validated than for women to actually have reasonable boundaries and dignity.
"Feelings"? Talk about reducing things to the lowest common denominator in order to invalidate a person's identity. So transgenders are either perverts or overly sensitive. You say you have no problem with transgenders, but that only seems to be in situations in which they aren't remotely adjacent to your life.

Man, every thread "expose their penises" is brought up by you. Makes it sound like you are saying transgender are perverts when you use the word "expose". Conservatives seem to have this issue with not understanding an individual's rights aren't an affront to their individual rights.

Emily Lake wants a world where people have to abide by what she wants, regardless how prude it might be.
As opposed to the one you want, in which Darren Menager and Lia Thomas are ENTITLED to walk around sex-separated nude spaces with their dicks a-dangling, regardless of how uncomfortable it makes all of the women there.
People used an analogous argument that during the civil rights movement - that desegregation should not happen because it made white people feel uncomfortable to have black people using the same toilets or sitting near them in a restaurant.

There was a case of a six year old mother. And Wikipedia lists two more than gave birth at age six.
All with precocious puberty, which a doctor would have noticed.

A normal six year would not be pregnant, and it's actually quite silly to assume that one needs to ask a normal six year old girl. Let alone a normal six year old *boy*

It is possible to conceive on one's first cycle and thus never have menstruated.
How is this even a response? What point is it that you think you're making?

Let's just reiterate: PRECOCIOUS PUBERTY
And for clarification let's add: CHILD RAPE

How often do you think that in radiology, they will draw blood on an unconscious patient in order to determine male/female?
How often do you think that in radiology they will ask a person whether they might be pregnant if they're unconscious?

BTW, male/female is NOT always accurate by blood test. It's not on/off, black/white 100% of the time. I know it's a really long pair of posts but upthread, I posted some variations on so called biological sex.
Yeah, no, you posted a twitter screed by someone who *claims* to be a biology teacher, who is busy conflating a whole bunch of things that ACTUAL biologists would reject as entirely fallacious and unscientific reasoning.

Sex is defined based on the type of gamete around which your reproductive anatomy is arranged. That does not require you to actually produce those gametes, nor does it require that every single element of that anatomy be present, nor does it require that your phenotype is typical for your sex, nor does it require that your karyotype is typical for your sex.

This holds true for the human species, as well as for EVERY OTHER mammal on the entire planet. It holds true for the overwhelming majority of vertebrates. It EVEN holds true for those very few species that actually CAN change sex, such as clownfish. When a clownfish's anatomy is arranged around the production of small mobile gametes, they are male. When they change and their anatomy is arranged around the production of large sessile gametes, they are female.

Furthermore, you are appealing to the existence of people with deleterious medical conditions related to their sexual development... as if it has anything at all to do with transgender identities. It has NOTHING to do with transgender identities. It is entirely and completely irrelevant to this topic.
I actually checked her out. She’s a biologist and has published a number of papers in refereed journals.

I’m also not certain what you think is the reason that some individuals are transgender see. I think I’d like to understand more about that.

This topic is someone’s mental down because some medical facilities in another country decided to make questions about potential pregnancy universal.

The meltdown seems to be about some very rigid thinking about what constitutes make and what constitutes female without recognizing the existence of individuals for whom this is not a simple question of male/female. Or recognizing that some individuals have a lot of biological ambiguity.

We take a lot of things as standard or the norm. I myself have a couple of anomalies which haven’t caused me any difficulties and in fact, one has in some ways made my life easier. It’s nothing that could be discovered by usual exam but something that is important I make my medical providers aware of. Not something I’m going to share here because it’s irrelevant.

IRL people deviate from whatever standard we like to set as the norm. Sometimes, these deviations are important. Sometimes they are not. Usually it depends on the circumstances.

Asking a comprehensive set of questions of all patients is the best way to ensure that all relevant medical information is gathered.

"Feelings"? Talk about reducing things to the lowest common denominator in order to invalidate a person's identity.

Yes, feelings.
Cis-male trans women do have a restroom available. It's typically got a sign on the door "Men".

This is not generally difficult to understand. Everyone has a restroom to pee in. Everyone.

Sometimes trans folks feel that they should use a different one. But it is a feeling, not much else. And when they recognize and respect other people's feelings there's rarely a problem.
Tom

I’m also not certain what you think is the reason that some individuals are transgender see.
The overwhelming majority of transgender people do NOT have a congenital condition of sexual development, and are karyotypical, phenotypical, and anatomically typical. They have a mental health disorder.

Males and men aren't the same thing.

I totally understand that for most of human history they were. And now, they nearly always are.

But males and men aren't the same thing, in the here and now.
Tom

What is the term for an adult male of the bovine species?
What is the term for an adult male of the equine species?
What is the term for an adult male of the human species?
What is your point in this thread, discussing humans?

FWIW, with regards to the the first two, are you talking castrated males or unaltered males?
So glad you mentioned about the horses Emily. It is a good question - does the removal of certain parts change the creature's essence? Some on these fora would have to conclude that that castrated male horse is now a female.
Who? Who the fuck thinks castration = a sex change?
Names, please, at the least. Links to the post that makes you think anyone here holds thast opinion.

I’m also not certain what you think is the reason that some individuals are transgender see.
The overwhelming majority of transgender people do NOT have a congenital condition of sexual development, and are karyotypical, phenotypical, and anatomically typical. They have a mental health disorder.
And you base this opinion on what, exactly?

Have you had your karotype done?

What a tangled web some men/women weave;

A transgender father of two awaiting gender reassignment surgery has been jailed in a male prison for three years after being exposed as a paedophile. Britnee Aitken, 47, will have her treatment delayed after two girls said she molested them ten years ago when she identified as a truck recovery driver called Marcus. One of the victims, then six, said she targeted them under the guise of offering to play board games. At Minshull Street Crown Court, Manchester, Aitken appeared in the dock wearing a low cut woman's blouse and sporting makeup and long red hair. She was referred to as 'she' and 'her' during the hearing that saw her convicted of three charges of sexual assault and one of exposure. She was also ordered to sign the Sex Offender Register for life. She denied any wrongdoing. The Ministry of Justice told MailOnline she will go to a men's prison. :hysterical:

Daily Mail

Good luck making sense of that hot mess.

You say you have no problem with transgenders, but that only seems to be in situations in which they aren't remotely adjacent to your life.
I have a problem with MALES in FEMALE spaces. I don't give a fuck how they identify, or what they like to wear.
Pretty much this.

I'm a guy. I've got no issues with females in private "Men" spaces. Guys don't worry about that. Chicks are fun!

Women have very different issues. They've been instilled with an extreme wariness of male strangers since childhood. There are very rational reasons for this.

Cis-female humans who really don't want cis-male humans in certain places with them aren't being irrational. They're being quite rational.

Gender isn't the issue here. Sex is the issue. It is very rational for cis-females to demand a cis-male free space to take off their clothes and I get it.

I understand that some trans-females would prefer that cis-females feelings aren't respected. Some trans women prefer that option isn't available.
I don't.

I'm not a female anything. But I do understand why they feel as they do.
Tom

Ah, quillette.

Ah, quillette.
Just for the record...
Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 5.32.40 PM.png

Ah, quillette.
Just for the record...
View attachment 37960
Please note: I was not suggesting that Quillette is fake news. It is hard libertarian which, for me, is a hard no. Rather than objective reporting, it has a strong slant and presents opinion as fact. This is a serious issue whether it is opinion I agree with or do not agree with. Whether this is the aim or not, such a trend in newscasting has dramatically shifted the general public's ability to discern truth from opinion from fake news from emerging news.

Ah, quillette.
Ahh... highly credentialed evolutionary biologist...

Ah, quillette.

Ah, quillette.
Ah, so was the one whose work you disparaged.

FWIW, I've known some brilliant biologists.

And also one who was a creationist. And held a Ph.D. from a very good university.

The 'highly credentialed evolutionary biologist' you cited has for some unknown reason chosen to not make his living as a highly credentialed biologist and instead is making his living....opining on a libertarian site.

To each his own.

Cis-female humans who really don't want cis-male humans in certain places with them aren't being irrational. They're being quite rational.
Up above, you've attempted to reduce the trans people's issue to their "feelings." It's all just 'in their head,' to uou. The penis or the vagina is all that matters.

But these historical actions that make some men predators in women's spaces, do they come from the head or the penis?
If someone penis-equipped 'Feels' that they are a woman, aren't they less of an actual threat to other women than cis-gendered penis-havers?
Or if someone doesn't have a penis, but feels they should, aren't thery more likely to be an actual threat to women?

It just seems like in this area, at least, the feelings could trump the plumbing. Making this cut-and-dried issue [in the minds of some] much less so [in reality].

Back
Top Bottom