• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Melania Plagiarizes Michelle

Donald himself is Hillary's mole in the RNC.
Epic, huh.

Donald himself is Hillary's mole in the RNC.
Epic, huh.
Could be.
donald-hillary-800.jpg

And now Hannity is claiming Obama did it, too...

http://www.hannity.com/articles/han...ma-was-busted-plagiarizing-governor-14922331/

I actually don't feel like giving him the satisfaction of clicking, so, if someone will just go read that for me, I'd appreciate it.
Don't care to click a Hannity link, but an Obama speech in 2008 quoted the famous words of others (with proper citation) and the question (paraphrasing) "are these just words". Apparently another politician used a similar rhetorical device in an earlier speech, including some of the same famous quotes with proper citation. They were very similar without a doubt. The other politician, however, said it was not plagiarism.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

That's fine. Just so long as the conversation for this news cycle is focusing on who plagiarized who, it keeps the focus on how the GOP convention fucked up over this point.

Although this editorial reminds me that taking our eye off his bigger dangers should be avoided... Don't let the con distract us!

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/violence-blood-and-betrayal-inside-the-trump-potemkin-village

It is no exaggeration to say the driving themes of last night's program - with a brief interlude of uplift from Melania Trump - were a pervasive vision of insecurity, violence and bloodshed, committed by national outsiders and abetted by the betrayals of political enemies. We debate the definition of fascism and just what governmental structures it involves. But setting that largely academic and unhelpful debate aside, this is precisely the kind of febrile victimology and demands for aggression and revenge against enemies that gives rise to it. 'Fascism' is a distraction that is more cudgel than explanatory device. What Trump is is a would-be authoritarian ruler. And, as we've discussed, authoritarian rulers require violence and disorder because it is their justification for rule.

The fact that the current First Lady's speech from eight years ago showed up in Melania Trump's speech is largely irrelevant in comparison to these developments. It is simply another example of the amateur grifterism and slapdash Potemkin village that is everything Trump. He is a dangerous man for a dangerous moment.

I think the best part is when she RickRolled them:

[emoji38]

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that. I am beginning to wonder if there was any part of her speech that wasn't cribbed from someone else.
93% was original according to Chris Christie

And now Hannity is claiming Obama did it, too...

http://www.hannity.com/articles/han...ma-was-busted-plagiarizing-governor-14922331/

I actually don't feel like giving him the satisfaction of clicking, so, if someone will just go read that for me, I'd appreciate it.
Don't care to click a Hannity link, but an Obama speech in 2008 quoted the famous words of others (with proper citation) and the question (paraphrasing) "are these just words". Apparently another politician used a similar rhetorical device in an earlier speech, including some of the same famous quotes with proper citation. They were very similar without a doubt. The other politician, however, said it was not plagiarism.

Mind if I plagiarize your words to reply on facebook to that link? ;) ?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that. I am beginning to wonder if there was any part of her speech that wasn't cribbed from someone else.
93% was original according to Chris Christie

Oh, well, if the paragon of virtue, Chris Christie said that, then I have to suspect that the exact opposite is true.

I'm still trying to figure out where I know this Melania lady from. I mean Scott Baio was Chachi and Charles in Charge, Antonio Sabato Jr. was on General Hospital and Melrose Place, but I can't place Melania in the pantheon of washed up TV stars that support Trump. Was she on Baywatch?

Mind if I plagiarize your words to reply on facebook to that link? ;) ?
Here's an article that is not Hannity about it: https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2008/02/20/the-obama-plagiarism-scandal/

Reflecting...

It's true this is a minor non-story, really. She's a spouse, not a candidate as well. I'd be inclined to give her a complete pass. So, as a compromise, let's just treat her exactly as kindly as Biden and Obama were treated by their opposition, and call it a day.

LOL.

But seriously, I'm not all that concerned about her lapse.

Although this editorial reminds me that taking our eye off his bigger dangers should be avoided... Don't let the con distract us!

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/violence-blood-and-betrayal-inside-the-trump-potemkin-village

It is no exaggeration to say the driving themes of last night's program - with a brief interlude of uplift from Melania Trump - were a pervasive vision of insecurity, violence and bloodshed, committed by national outsiders and abetted by the betrayals of political enemies. We debate the definition of fascism and just what governmental structures it involves. But setting that largely academic and unhelpful debate aside, this is precisely the kind of febrile victimology and demands for aggression and revenge against enemies that gives rise to it. 'Fascism' is a distraction that is more cudgel than explanatory device. What Trump is is a would-be authoritarian ruler. And, as we've discussed, authoritarian rulers require violence and disorder because it is their justification for rule.

The fact that the current First Lady's speech from eight years ago showed up in Melania Trump's speech is largely irrelevant in comparison to these developments. It is simply another example of the amateur grifterism and slapdash Potemkin village that is everything Trump. He is a dangerous man for a dangerous moment.

Incompetence and lack of preparedness for the Presidency are turning out to be bigger anti-Trump selling points amongst the undecided. I think that's because everybody is so used to having politicians' words taken out of context by their opponents in order to demonize them that when those words are taken in context people don't really believe that Trump was making the point that he was actually making. They tune it out as white noise.

The whole "You want this moron with his finger on the nuclear trigger" talking point seems to be getting more traction. Stories about how Trump is an incompetent boob who fucks everything up due to his not knowing what to do play better.

Incompetence and lack of preparedness for the Presidency are turning out to be bigger anti-Trump selling points amongst the undecided. I think that's because everybody is so used to having politicians' words taken out of context by their opponents in order to demonize them that when those words are taken in context people don't really believe that Trump was making the point that he was actually making. They tune it out as white noise.

The whole "You want this moron with his finger on the nuclear trigger" talking point seems to be getting more traction. Stories about how Trump is an incompetent boob who fucks everything up due to his not knowing what to do play better.
We'll see. It is remarkable how well he is doing. Some Republicans will vote for anyone, apparently, and a big group of Republicans are fucking stupid and love Trump. It'll be hard to sway any of those people. So we are left with trying to convince people Trump is either incompetent or a sociopath. What I'm starting to fear is that the Indies and Undecideds look at Trump and just start to hear the criticism as "politics as usual", instead of "Jesus! You thought W did a bad job... and we fucking warned you about him!"

We'll see. It is remarkable how well he is doing. Some Republicans will vote for anyone, apparently, and a big group of Republicans are fucking stupid and love Trump. It'll be hard to sway any of those people. So we are left with trying to convince people Trump is either incompetent or a sociopath. What I'm starting to fear is that the Indies and Undecideds look at Trump and just start to hear the criticism as "politics as usual", instead of "Jesus! You thought W did a bad job... and we fucking warned you about him!"

Well, there aren't actually a lot of independents and undecided. The last figure I saw had that around 4% of the country wavers between the GOP and Dems. Most independents call themselves that because they feel that the Republicans are a bunch of left wing Washington insiders or that the Democrats are a bunch of right wingers in Wall Street's pocket and don't want to be associated with them. It's getting people on your side of the spectrum to be more concerned about the other side than they are about your side which will make the difference in this election, not trying to pick up the dribbles that remain in your country's middle.

I'm still trying to figure out where I know this Melania lady from. I mean Scott Baio was Chachi and Charles in Charge, Antonio Sabato Jr. was on General Hospital and Melrose Place, but I can't place Melania in the pantheon of washed up TV stars that support Trump. Was she on Baywatch?
In case you are serious - she was a fashion model who's claim to fame is fucking the Cheeto while he was still married to wife #2, & then marrying him after the divorce. Trump once lied about Ivana being a fashion model. It's clear what Melania's best trait was in his eyes.

Well, there aren't actually a lot of independents and undecided. The last figure I saw had that around 4% of the country wavers between the GOP and Dems.
One poll reported that Johnson's support, when they must choose between Clinton or Trump splits 50-50. Johnson is polling 10+% in some places, so I think the undecided Indies is larger than some think.

But seriously, I'm not all that concerned about her lapse.
Hers, maybe not. But this is a symptom of a much greater problem.

Like all the people who blamed the zoo shooting the silverback on the mother who let the kid get into the enclosure, there should have been someone watching her.

A lifeguard, an adult and experienced in place to prevent this sort of thing, someone with the political savvy to know exactly how it was going to play out if they cribbed the speech.

I think it's more that they truly, truly, truly believe that he is one of them. That he's a 'straight shooter.' That he must be competent or else, how did he get to be so rich? ( I know, I know: he was born half way between 3rd and home base and his daddy bribed the ump). Never mind that he screwed over people who are exactly like them when he went bankrupt-any of those times. But hey: the bankruptsies mean he's just like one of them!

First we had Reagan. Then W (skipping the semi-competent Sr). Now, we'll get Trump, the even 'folksier' straight shootier every man ultimate fantasy: you can be old, out of shape, balding and have horrible taste in hair styles and still score an ultra hot wife (no matter how much you had to pay for her or any of her predecessors).

I think it's more that they truly, truly, truly believe that he is one of them. That he's a 'straight shooter.' That he must be competent or else, how did he get to be so rich? ( I know, I know: he was born half way between 3rd and home base and his daddy bribed the ump). Never mind that he screwed over people who are exactly like them when he went bankrupt-any of those times. But hey: the bankruptsies mean he's just like one of them!

First we had Reagan. Then W (skipping the semi-competent Sr). Now, we'll get Trump, the even 'folksier' straight shootier every man ultimate fantasy: you can be old, out of shape, balding and have horrible taste in hair styles and still score an ultra hot wife (no matter how much you had to pay for her or any of her predecessors).
So scary. But sounds about right.

- - - Updated - - -

Who would win the IQ test? Reagan, Bush Jr or Trump?

Back
Top Bottom