• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mueller investigation

Starting to move toward the "Well, they only proved that Trump's campaign conspired to collude with Russia, not Donald Trump himself." All they got on Trump was wire fraud, campaign finance violations, perjury, tax evasion, money laundering, and some conspiracy as well.

I think that events could follow the Scooter Libby path. Trump can commute Manafort's sentence to get him out of jail without forcing Manafort to accept guilt. The pretext for commutation could be failing health--the same excuse that has been used to get convicted criminals released early in the past. Cheney was famously angry at GW Bush for not issuing Libby a full pardon, because that is likely what Cheney had promised Libby he would get for taking a fall. However, I'm not convinced that Manafort cares whether he receives a full pardon, as long as he can get out of jail. He will still be a very rich man and would still likely be able to leave the country and live a very comfortable life elsewhere, perhaps in Russia.

Well, another very important distinction between a commutation and a pardon is that if the convicted criminal receiving the commutation commits another crime anytime in their life, the original sentence for the original crime is reimposed. That is not the case with a pardon, unless the pardon is given conditionally that way

I think that events could follow the Scooter Libby path. Trump can commute Manafort's sentence to get him out of jail without forcing Manafort to accept guilt. The pretext for commutation could be failing health--the same excuse that has been used to get convicted criminals released early in the past. Cheney was famously angry at GW Bush for not issuing Libby a full pardon, because that is likely what Cheney had promised Libby he would get for taking a fall. However, I'm not convinced that Manafort cares whether he receives a full pardon, as long as he can get out of jail. He will still be a very rich man and would still likely be able to leave the country and live a very comfortable life elsewhere, perhaps in Russia.

I think everyone is well aware of this, which is where the State level charges come in. By taking it this seriously and imposing this level of punishment at the federal level, it signals to the State courts that they can't get away with just giving him a slap on the wrist and imposing a similar level of incarceration. Then if Putin decides to dismiss the federal charges, it doesn't actually impact Manafort's dying in prison, so Trump may decide to just avoid the political backlash and leave him to rot.

I think everyone is well aware of this, which is where the State level charges come in. By taking it this seriously and imposing this level of punishment at the federal level, it signals to the State courts that they can't get away with just giving him a slap on the wrist and imposing a similar level of incarceration. Then if Putin decides to dismiss the federal charges, it doesn't actually impact Manafort's dying in prison, so Trump may decide to just avoid the political backlash and leave him to rot.

Trump likes to hold out the hope of a pardon in exchange for cooperation from potential witnesses against him, but I wonder whether he will follow through, once that person can no longer do anything for him. He demands loyalty from his minions, but he has been known to turn his back on those who are loyal to him. Manafort was never part of his inner circle before Trump hired him as campaign manager. He may just be stringing Manafort along for whatever he can get from him.

I read an article indicating it is likely only a few days until another articles comes out indicating Mueller is going to submit a report in a week.

Real time coverage and discussion of the Cohen testimony here, hosted by Maggie Haberman of the NY Times. Lastest quote from Maggie:
Maggie Haberman
White House Correspondent
11:02 AM ET

This is shocking, shocking testimony. We’re grateful for those of you who can’t get to a television who are reading along with us.

Trump likes to hold out the hope of a pardon in exchange for cooperation from potential witnesses against him, but I wonder whether he will follow through, once that person can no longer do anything for him. He demands loyalty from his minions, but he has been known to turn his back on those who are loyal to him. Manafort was never part of his inner circle before Trump hired him as campaign manager. He may just be stringing Manafort along for whatever he can get from him.

Agreed. As I've noted many times before, his mentality is that of a mob boss, almost comically so if it weren't so evident. Just the fact that he's using terms like "rat" and the like reveals it. In the mafia, loyalty only flows upward, never downward. Like he said about John McCain, a "hero" in Trump's miniscule brain is someone who doesn't get caught.

It's pretty clear Cohen knows this and Manafort should. Stone definitely knows it, which is why I would bet even money on the fact that he's the biggest "rat" of them all (again, proven by the fact that he immediately tried to get contempt of court as a cover and reflected in his comparatively light indictment).

I never thought I’d write this sentence, but, Chris Christie pointed out exactly what I predicted would be the case: Republicans Aren’t Refuting Substance of Cohen’s Allegations.

All they did was make a lot of ad hominem noise and rhetorical blather, but not a one of them actually refuted anything Cohen presented. This will be the pattern to pander to their consituents, but of course such theatrics can only fool the ignorant voters and will grow increasingly tiresome—and transparent—long before we get to the Senate re: impeachment, which is all but guaranteed at this point.

Public opinion is irrelevant when it comes to hard evidence of crimes committed by the President and Cohen has provided that in spades. There can be no doubt that the House will impeach.

Which brings me to the other interesting event that happened while Cohen was testifying:

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov inserted himself into the high-stakes nuclear talks between the United States and North Korea ahead of the second meeting between President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Vietnam’s capital on Wednesday.

Lavrov told reporters during a visit to Vietnam’s commercial capital, Ho Chi Minh City, earlier this week that the “Americans are seeking our advice” on the negotiations and that Washington should end its strategy of issuing ultimatums to Pyongyang.

As we all know, Trump’s meeting with Jong Un was suddenly cut short. Almost as if that wasn’t the purpose of Trump’s visit to begin with. At least not the primary reason and not in the manner one would normally expect (i.e., beneficial to the US).

Here is Lavrov’s speech to the Valdai Discussion Club in Ho Chi Minh City on February 25 in its entirety. It is too lengthy to quote all of the interesting bits, so I encourage all to read it in full, but in particular these opening paragraphs:

These discussions are particularly relevant today when the world has entered the post-bipolar stage in its development. At this stage, a more just polycentric, stable and democratic system is being established. I am aware of the disputes regarding whether this is good or bad. A unipolar or bipolar world was far more reliable as everything was clear and there was no room for improvisation. Now the world is a mess with everybody protecting their own interests, and there is no new understanding of how to proceed from here. Still, I agree with those who say that this is a period of perturbation which will eventually end. It will be lengthy. It is the beginning of a new era. These stages are never short. I have no doubt that as a result, we will get a more reliable and secure system that allows countries to use its opportunities for their economic and social development. Although I do not know who will be around to check to see that it is so, since it will happen in several decades.

However, it appears to me that the most important thing now is to watch the re-configuration of the global geopolitical landscape, which is happening in two ways. One is natural as new centres of economic growth and financial power emerge, bringing political influence. These centres are starting to see the benefit in unifying based on the demands of the present and future, their people and countries. This is how the RIC association (Russia, India and China) started. The next RIC ministerial meeting will be held in China the day after tomorrow. BRICS also emerged naturally. The SCO was also created in response to demands of the time when, after the dissolution of the Soviet Union, it was necessary to provide some understanding of border security in Central Asia, Russia and China. Subsequently, the SCO expanded to other forms of cooperation. But once again, it was a response to demands of the time. This is also how ASEAN was formed by ten countries (it started with less than ten) that realised their mutual interest was in working together and promoting economic and security cooperation.

Unlike these natural processes, there are attempts to reconfigure the geopolitical landscape in order to prevent the natural course of things and the emergence of new centres of growth. For example, the Middle East Strategic Alliance, the so-called Middle Eastern NATO which US President Donald Trump’s administration, working to overcome the serious doubts of potential participants, is trying to impose on the countries of the Persian Gulf, Jordan and Egypt. Of course, Israel is also guarding its interests when it comes to this initiative.

The Indo-Pacific region is another artificially imposed construct which I just discussed with the Deputy Foreign Minister of Vietnam. The United States, along with Japan and Australia, has begun to promote this within the far-reaching context of containing China. This is a clear attempt to get India involved in military-political and naval processes. This concept undermines the ASEAN-centricity of the formats that have been created in that region. So, ASEAN is now thinking about how to respond to these developments.

In this portion of my remarks, I would like to contradistinguish natural processes that integrate countries based on coinciding interests, from artificial ones which try to force countries into some kind of cooperation in the interest of one geopolitically driven power. We would like our respect for peoples’ determining their own future to manifest itself in our approaches to the processes unfolding in this region and the rest of the world.
In Northeast Asia, the situation is not simple, primarily due to the Korean Peninsula nuclear issues. But our goal is much broader, in the context of long-term stabilisation – to develop a mechanism of peace and security in Northeast Asia. This is one of the goals that was agreed upon during the six-party talks on the Korean nuclear issue, when they still worked. Now they are frozen, but their potential should certainly be kept in mind. I hope that if there is progress via bilateral channels between the United States and North Korea, the six-party format can become very useful, primarily when it comes to the subject of peace and security. This is exactly what the Russian-Chinese roadmap is about, the one we proposed in summer 2017 during Chinese President Xi Jinping’s visit to the Russian Federation. We proposed a step-by-step movement – first build confidence and avoid provocative actions such as nuclear tests, missile launches from North Korea, or large-scale disproportionate naval and air exercises the US and South Korea resorted to. Then, as confidence grows, time will come to make contacts, put offers on the table, search for a balance of interests and act synchronously, action for action – your partner has met you halfway, now it’s your turn to take a step towards the partner. At the last stage, the Russian-Chinese roadmap should turn into a security mechanism for Northeast Asia so that all six countries in and around the region feel secure knowing there is a reliable agreement.

This “action for action” logic is now beginning to catch on in Washington, at least, our Deputy Foreign Minister’s contacts with his American counterpart show that the Americans even ask us for advice or opinions on various scenarios of what will happen in a couple of days in Hanoi.

So what would be the primary reason for Trump to go to Vietnam (after evidently reaching out to Russia for help) at the same time Lavrov was there if it weren’t to (also) tank North Korean talks and right at the time when Cohen’s testimony would mark—at long last—the beginning of the end for Trump and the no doubt exponential escalation in the soon-to-be revealed piles of hard evidence against him?

ETA: I found this bit from Lavrov’s speech equally chilling:

Another important area of ​​our collaboration with ASEAN is cybersecurity, or international information security (IIS). We are launching the Russia-ASEAN dialogue on the safe use of ICT. We know that there is a growing understanding in ASEAN and the international community of the need to develop universal rules for responsible behaviour in cyberspace. In December last year, the UN General Assembly adopted a Russia-initiated resolution which moved the matter of IIS from conceptual definitions to the level of harmonising the rules of responsible behaviour in cyberspace. A working group is being created for this, open to all UN members.

Last edited:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/former-white-house-lawyer-ty-cobb-calls-mueller-american-hero-n979331

Ty Cobb, the White House attorney who served as President Donald Trump's lead counsel during the early stages of special counsel Robert Mueller's probe, called the former FBI director and federal prosecutor an "American hero" in an interview published Tuesday.

Speaking on ABC News' "The Investigation" podcast, Cobb also disagreed with the president's assessment that the Russian investigation is a “witch hunt.”

"I think Bob Mueller's an American hero,” Cobb, who joined the White House in the summer of 2017 and left in May 2018, said. "I think Bob Mueller's a guy that, you know even though he came from an, arguably, privileged background, you know, has a backbone of steel."

"I think the world of Bob Mueller. He is a very deliberate guy. And but he's also a class act. And a very justice-oriented person," Cobb added.

I wonder if Cobb has some interesting things to say to Mueller or the Congress, should he be asked to be questioned.

House passes non binding resolution to make Mueller report public

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/in-overwhelmingly-bipartisan-vote-house-calls-for-mueller-report-to-be-made-public/2019/03/14/bed337fe-4660-11e9-90f0-0ccfeec87a61_story.html?utm_term=.4c2c227b88eb

The House voted overwhelmingly and in bipartisan fashion to urge the Justice Department to publicly release the entirety of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s report into Russian interference in the 2016 election, once completed.

The move is an attempt to “send a clear signal both to the American people and the Department of Justice” that lawmakers expect to see the full account of Mueller’s work, according to the House Judiciary Committee’s chairman, Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.).

The final vote count was 420 in favor, with no one voting no. Four lawmakers voted “present.”

Even if the Senate votes on the resolution, it can't be enforced but it's still amazing that it was passed with so much Republican support.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/in-overwhelmingly-bipartisan-vote-house-calls-for-mueller-report-to-be-made-public/2019/03/14/bed337fe-4660-11e9-90f0-0ccfeec87a61_story.html?utm_term=.4c2c227b88eb

The House voted overwhelmingly and in bipartisan fashion to urge the Justice Department to publicly release the entirety of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s report into Russian interference in the 2016 election, once completed.

The move is an attempt to “send a clear signal both to the American people and the Department of Justice” that lawmakers expect to see the full account of Mueller’s work, according to the House Judiciary Committee’s chairman, Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.).

The final vote count was 420 in favor, with no one voting no. Four lawmakers voted “present.”

Even if the Senate votes on the resolution, it can't be enforced but it's still amazing that it was passed with so much Republican support.

No consequences, no problem. They are ethical as hell, as long as being ethical doesn't threaten their tenure.

I really don’t see how anything in the report could endanger American security... I mean other than POTUS himself.

No consequences, no problem. They are ethical as hell, as long as being ethical doesn't threaten their tenure.

I still have to suspect that a good number of republicans are hoping that the report is devastating to Trump so that they can get rid of the fool and even the base can't question it.

I still have to suspect that a good number of republicans are hoping that the report is devastating to Trump so that they can get rid of the fool and even the base can't question it.

Maybe. But I remember when Nixon was facing impeachment. There were plenty of people who didn’t think he should have been impeached.

Reports are coming in stating that Mueller has submitted a Report. JD says the investigation is completed. We'll see. Interesting the announcement comes at 5 PM on Friday.

Back
Top Bottom