• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Multi-Billionaire Oprah Whines About Sexism & Income Inequality At DNC

Ahh, so you have insight into the secret policy positions that they secretly are planning for their Illuminati-esque world takeover?
They did helpfully publish them all in a set of easily accessible public documents, so... yeah.

I've read Curtis Yarvin's bullshit, too, and Vance's book. It's not exactly rocket science.

You know the far-right nutjobs say the same thing about you, don't you? That progressives have secret policies that they can't say in public, but trust them, they know all about those secret plans to turn the US into a communist shithole...
That's their folly, not mine. If anyone wants to know what the prerogatives of the Progressive Caucus or BLM or whoever are, those aren't difficult to find either.

The community college system for which I work, of course.
Ah. My biases are showing. I usually think of college as a 4 year university.
You're not alone, and my tongue is a bit in cheek. Our principal economic value is as a way to cheat one's way into a four year by duplicitously allowing the poor opportunities to compete on merit, not the reputation of any degree we can award. But I do see our admissions policy as a feature not a bug.
How is your community college funded?

You're not alone, and my tongue is a bit in cheek. Our principal economic value is as a way to cheat one's way into a four year by duplicitously allowing the poor opportunities to compete on merit, not the reputation of any degree we can award. But I do see our admissions policy as a feature not a bug.
A mixture of apportionment from the state of California, federal funding for certain special programs, student tuition and fees, occasional contributions from the State Lottery fund, corporate donations, and contributions from the community.

How is it that you think a student from an inner city, now attending a superior ( I’m just going with your logic here) suburban school, harm the education of all of those nice white superior students?
Why do you assume that inner city students are black, and correlated their melanin content specifically with being inferior?
I don’t. I did not mention the skin color of inner city school students. I did assume that the ‘superior’ students attending the ‘superior’ suburban schools were white. I confess I was going along with Loren’s suppositions.

My personal belief is that there is nothing inherently superior or inferior about schools based upon whether they are inner city urban or suburban or based upon the racial or income level of their parents. Those are assumptions that Loren seems to make and I was actually attempting to poke at those assumptions.

A mixture of apportionment from the state of California, federal funding for certain special programs, student tuition and fees, occasional contributions from the State Lottery fund, corporate donations, and contributions from the community.
Wouldn't the tuition and fees part of that make it not free college for all?

I don’t. I did not mention the skin color of inner city school students. I did assume that the ‘superior’ students attending the ‘superior’ suburban schools were white. I confess I was going along with Loren’s suppositions.

My personal belief is that there is nothing inherently superior or inferior about schools based upon whether they are inner city urban or suburban or based upon the racial or income level of their parents. Those are assumptions that Loren seems to make and I was actually attempting to poke at those assumptions.
I get where you're coming from, but none of Loren's supposition involves race at all.

Loren's inferior/superior argument is in the context of academic capability. It's everyone else who keeps assuming that inferior = black and superior = white. Loren hasn't done that.

Wouldn't the tuition and fees part of that make it not free college for all?
Well, in theory, it's free for anyone who needs it to be. Supposed to be, anyway. The students that do pay for classes make it possible for those that can't (the ratio of those that do is around 2/3) as long as everyone who needs help applies for it (definitely not a given). But I do agree that it should be wholly free, as indeed it used to be. There was a time when tuition was waived for all California students, and both our economy and society were stronger for it. But Reagan was an evil old coot.

I get where you're coming from, but none of Loren's supposition involves race at all.

Loren's inferior/superior argument is in the context of academic capability. It's everyone else who keeps assuming that inferior = black and superior = white. Loren hasn't done that.
Actually, Loren has a long history of doing just that. He is more careful to mostly avoid skin color now but not e to rely.

Again I did not suggest that inner city students were not white. I absolutely disagree with the assumption that inner city schools and the students who attend them are ‘inferior.’ Nor do I believe that the parents’ socioeconomic status or educational level bestows determines any particular students academic potential. I also know from personal experience that students who come from families with low socioeconomic and educational attainment can have exceptional academic abilities and deserve the same opportunities as students whose parents obtained advanced degrees and earn a lot of money.

You cannot possibly know that.

Man who has never been a parent claims that generational trauma has no impact on childrearing across generations.
Can you explain what generational trauma is?

You’ve never heard of this? Okay, well here it is:

We know now that newborns don’t enter into the world with a clean slate. Their emotional history begins even before they are conceived.

All the eggs a woman will carry form in her ovaries while she is a fetus in her mother's womb. In other words, when your mother was in your grandmother’s womb, she carried, at that time, the egg that eventually became you. This means that a part of you, your mother, and your grandmother all shared the same biological environment. In a sense, you were exposed to the emotions and experiences of your grandmother even before you were conceived.

It’s pretty well known that if a pregnant woman goes through a famine, her in-utero daughter and that daughter’s children suffer genetic detriments.

These can manifest in learning problems, risk decisions, impulse control, health issues that lead to additional costs.

Transgenerational trauma isn't something that can be easily pinpointed. It is often covert, undefined, and subtle, surfacing through family patterns and forms of hypervigilance, mistrust, anxiety, depression, issues with self-esteem, and other negative coping strategies. We also know that trauma can have a significant affect on the immune system and may contribute to the generational curse of autoimmune diseases and other chronic illnesses.

While generational trauma can affect us all, those at the highest risk are in families that have experienced significant forms of abuse, neglect, torture, oppression, and racial disparities. Studies have explored the effects of transgenerational trauma on Holocaust survivors, the Khmer Rouge killings in Cambodia, the Rwandan genocide, the displacement of American Indians, and slavery of African Americans, among others (1). While some results are mixed on how trauma is manifested, many studies uncovered higher rates of anxiety, depression and PTSD in trauma survivors and their children.

And more immediately, it’s also well known that people who are abused (such as by slavery, or ongoing racism, or an abusive parent) are more likely to suffer behavioral problems, and then pass those down again.

Not everyone, of course, but more likely than those not suffering abuse.

Surprised this is news to you.

If it doesn't matter why are there college admissions requirements in the first place??
Open and blatant class discrimination. In more civilized societies, a college education is considered the right of all citizens.
I agree that this should be the case but are there actually any such societies?
Well, duh, you're in a system where you don't meaningfully have those not there to learn and where you can flunk out any that do show up. Of course you don't have the problem!

Man who has never been a parent claims that generational trauma has no impact on childrearing across generations.
It's whatever effect persists across generations keeping people down.

The only apparent candidate is the standard attitudes of poverty--looking only to the present, not the future.

Exactly. It correlates highly with race because it's so often the poor inner city students. However, it is not race.

As with most everything else involving supposed "racial discrimination" look to socioeconomic status. Any study finding a racial effect without controlling for socioeconomic status is almost certainly garbage.

We know now that newborns don’t enter into the world with a clean slate. Their emotional history begins even before they are conceived.

All the eggs a woman will carry form in her ovaries while she is a fetus in her mother's womb. In other words, when your mother was in your grandmother’s womb, she carried, at that time, the egg that eventually became you. This means that a part of you, your mother, and your grandmother all shared the same biological environment. In a sense, you were exposed to the emotions and experiences of your grandmother even before you were conceived.

It’s pretty well known that if a pregnant woman goes through a famine, her in-utero daughter and that daughter’s children suffer genetic detriments.

These can manifest in learning problems, risk decisions, impulse control, health issues that lead to additional costs.

Transgenerational trauma isn't something that can be easily pinpointed. It is often covert, undefined, and subtle, surfacing through family patterns and forms of hypervigilance, mistrust, anxiety, depression, issues with self-esteem, and other negative coping strategies. We also know that trauma can have a significant affect on the immune system and may contribute to the generational curse of autoimmune diseases and other chronic illnesses.

While generational trauma can affect us all, those at the highest risk are in families that have experienced significant forms of abuse, neglect, torture, oppression, and racial disparities. Studies have explored the effects of transgenerational trauma on Holocaust survivors, the Khmer Rouge killings in Cambodia, the Rwandan genocide, the displacement of American Indians, and slavery of African Americans, among others (1). While some results are mixed on how trauma is manifested, many studies uncovered higher rates of anxiety, depression and PTSD in trauma survivors and their children.

And more immediately, it’s also well known that people who are abused (such as by slavery, or ongoing racism, or an abusive parent) are more likely to suffer behavioral problems, and then pass those down again.

And once again you shoot yourself in the foot.

This is not discrimination. It can't be solved with anti-discrimination measures.

And once again you shoot yourself in the foot.

This is not discrimination. It can't be solved with anti-discrimination measures.

Man who doesn’t read deeply proclaims answer based on superficial reading.

Ah, Loren. Discrimination causes a whole host of generational traumas. If you can’t understand how lynchings (and every other form of racial discrimination) had a dramatic effect on people, you’ll never understand the basics of human interaction.

Back
Top Bottom