• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

My Vote 11/06/2018

The Democratic leadership has had 2 years since Trump's election to make changes and hasn't done anything that I can see to better the party. Am I missing anything? It is too bad you all throw your vote away for reactionary reasons.

Voting for candidates because they're not someone else? I think you all are being manipulated. Let the Democrats pay the price until they put up better candidates.

I didn't break the democratic party like some of you would like to believe, though I did take part in its demise when I, like you, also went along.

I think you willfully fail to look at what is happening in this country, and have willfully supported Trump's increasing destruction of our environment (among other major issues) with your "protest" vote.

As someone who does care very deeply about our environment, and agrees with nearly all of the Green Party platform, I do and will blame people like you for the destruction going on now.

Sleep well... until you choke on the fumes of your folly thanks to the right-wing policies you have helped enact.

I don't for one second believe anything that "poster" has offered in the guise of transparency, including who he voted for, why he voted for them and even the notion that he voted at all. People who are truthful almost always appear truthful, and liars always have a palpable two-faced nature that elicits a slimy feeling, and infects all the they produce - including their expressions.

Yes, I'm a Russian! There, I said it for you.

As a life-long tree-hugger, I endorse Tom's message

Yeah, well, if the Green Party agreed with Tom's message they'd voluntarily fold, right? So either you're not a tree hugger or the Green Party isn't what it claims to be. Since the Green party has yet to have an opportunity to prove itself....
Calling another member a liar - which is exactly what you just tried to do - is a TOU violation.

So is telling another member to go fuck themselves...

poster said:
Again, the Green Party obviously disagrees with that.

And I disagree with some things the Green Party does:

What Happened to Jill Stein’s Recount Millions? The Green Party candidate last filed a form with the FEC since September 2017. And it looks likely that there won’t be a vote on how to use the unspent recount funds.

but I still agree with their stated platform.

I just think biting off one's nose to spite one's face is a very stupid way to accomplish one's goals.

Good for you poster. If the Democrats insist on nominating candidates that are almost the same as the Republicans there really is no benefit in voting Democrat. "But the hated other will win" doesn't carry much weight when they insist on nominating the hated other themselves.

Almost the same?

Gillum and Disantis down here in Florida really can't be much different. Nor can the state senators in my local race.

LOL! "my folly"! Give me a break! I have a right to my vote and to express myself.

Yes you do.

And since you put yourself up as the topic of discussion here, I have the right to express what I think of your vote and your words.

I've noticed something interesting with the "libertarians" on various boards. They play the "both sides are just as bad" card quite a lot. However, their typical entry into a discussion is to "whatabout Obama or Hillary" whenever a Republican is being criticized. The thing is, you don't see them saying "whatabout Bush, whatabout Trump, or whatabout anything" when the liberals are being criticized in a thread. For people that think "Both sides are just as bad" their whataboutism is very lop-sided.

Then there are the people that are walk-away Democrats that have a profile that was created within a year of an election that have a keen interest in Russian issues and painting the Democrats as some sort of deep state establishment. I find them fascinating.

Calling another member a liar - which is exactly what you just tried to do - is a TOU violation.

So is telling another member to go fuck themselves...

poster said:
Again, the Green Party obviously disagrees with that.

And I disagree with some things the Green Party does:

What Happened to Jill Stein’s Recount Millions? The Green Party candidate last filed a form with the FEC since September 2017. And it looks likely that there won’t be a vote on how to use the unspent recount funds.

but I still agree with their stated platform.

I just think biting off one's nose to spite one's face is a very stupid way to accomplish one's goals.

As for the Daily Beast's not so subtle allegations I can only refer you to her website on the issue.

Questioning RT and offering The Daily Beast? If there was ever a questionable news/opinion agency TDB is one. Rather than hiring neutral investigative journalists, TDB hires partisans from both sides to buck one another? Seriously? If that doesn't smell of collusion from both parties to beat up on indepentant agencies, nothing does.

The Democratic leadership has had 2 years since Trump's election to make changes and hasn't done anything that I can see to better the party. Am I missing anything? It is too bad you all throw your vote away for reactionary reasons.

Voting for candidates because they're not someone else? I think you all are being manipulated. Let the Democrats pay the price until they put up better candidates.

I didn't break the democratic party like some of you would like to believe, though I did take part in its demise when I, like you, also went along.
As a registered Democrat, I for one couldn't agree more with how you are handling this.

Stop voting for the do nothing people acting against your interests even if they happen to be the right party. It will hurt the Democrats at first but in the long run will force bad apples out and cause the party to get stronger.

No it won’t. That’s been said for decades now and everyone is still waiting for it to happen. Aren’t you all tired of it just being one election around the corner?

You have an example of a wing of a party taking that party over and forcing it to conform to its agenda. That’s the Tea Party. They organized and voted and participated in the primaries to the point where they stopped being laughed at and ridiculed and started to set the agenda and had all the establishment assholes they’d been railing against bending over backwards to kiss their asses due to their demonstrating that they could get supporters to the polls.

Why not try emulating a winning strategy instead of constantly rehashing the last losing one?

The attachment is not showing. I'm voting green for governor and Senate and dem for house and state house.
Good for you. You are sending a clear message, as like was sent in 2000 and 2016.

Yes, I am. That message is that regardless of the intimidation by Democrat rank and file and manipulation by the MSM and intelligence agencies, I will vote my conscience and my values. I won't be popular with either of the tribes, but I'll sleep well.

That may be the message you want to send; But the message everyone else receives is "I don't understand how a First Past The Post voting system works, so I am actively helping my least favourite candidates".

The fact is that most electoral systems (from the point of view of the smart voter) should be treated NOT as asking 'Who do you want to be elected?', but rather 'Who do you NOT want to be elected?'

In a FPTP system, the smart move is to identify the two candidates with the best chance of winning, and to vote AGAINST the one you hate the most, while ignoring any others. It's a two party system; candidates other than the top two are a pointless distraction, no matter how wonderful you think they are.

In a more sane electoral system, such as the Instant Runoff system we have here, you are asked to rank candidates from 1-n; But again, the smart voter ranks the candidates from n-1, where n is the most hated, and 1 the least.

The idea that any candidates should actually be GOOD, or worth voting for, is a furphy - if you are seeking perfection you are doomed. No candidate will ever likely agree with you one every policy position. Or even most. It's a LOT easier to pick the worst, and vote to prevent that person from winning, than it is to pick the best, and try to help them to win (and it's irrelevant who is best in an FPTP race, except in the unlikely eventuality that they are also one of the two top candidates).

As a registered Democrat, I for one couldn't agree more with how you are handling this.

Stop voting for the do nothing people acting against your interests even if they happen to be the right party. It will hurt the Democrats at first but in the long run will force bad apples out and cause the party to get stronger.
Hurt them at first? Have the Dems shifted left or right since 2000?

This means the Dems won’t be able to count on liberal votes therefore they need to tack to the right to appeal to more conservatives.

Yeah, some folk don’t understand how this works.

The Do Nothing? The Dems helped get the US economy out of the ditch, passed the first meaningful health care reform since Medicare, in two years of the power they were alotted.

No it won’t. That’s been said for decades now and everyone is still waiting for it to happen. Aren’t you all tired of it just being one election around the corner?

You have an example of a wing of a party taking that party over and forcing it to conform to its agenda. That’s the Tea Party. They organized and voted and participated in the primaries to the point where they stopped being laughed at and ridiculed and started to set the agenda and had all the establishment assholes they’d been railing against bending over backwards to kiss their asses due to their demonstrating that they could get supporters to the polls.

Why not try emulating a winning strategy instead of constantly rehashing the last losing one?

I think Trumps's election is a better example than the tea party. Trump forced his way into the Republican party by finding a niche. He exploited that niche and rode it to his election. Since that happened he has dragged the Republicans, both moderate and conservative with him, many reluctantly. He has enough of a following to do this.

The Republican party was open enough to a Trump to allow this to happen. They probably regretted it at first but they seem to be more accommodating now. The Democratic party is much more strict and force outsiders to run as independents.

From the getgo, the corporate media has once again framed this election cycle as a two-party race because that serves the corporate media. If anyone here believes the corporate media does things for any reason other than profit, all I can say is....egads!

If people truly want the change they say they desire and support the issues they claim to then play the long game and force the Democrats to pony up or get fucked. The consequences are theirs and their corporate constituents. They and their rich constituants will definately try to make us pay, but I've got news for you, we're already paying, and not just with President Trump, but in so many other ways, financial and otherwise. We're losing our freedoms and that didn't begin with Trump, it's been happening for a long time now beginning with our responses and reactions to 9/11.

The far right has woken up and the left better as well. Moderates, corporatists and ex-intelligence officials running as Democrats aren't going to cut it. That's the GOP of yesteryear.

I think Trumps's election is a better example than the tea party. Trump forced his way into the Republican party by finding a niche. He exploited that niche and rode it to his election. Since that happened he has dragged the Republicans, both moderate and conservative with him, many reluctantly. He has enough of a following to do this.

The Republican party was open enough to a Trump to allow this to happen. They probably regretted it at first but they seem to be more accommodating now. The Democratic party is much more strict and force outsiders to run as independents.

From the getgo, the corporate media has once again framed this election cycle as a two-party race because that serves the corporate media. If anyone here believes the corporate media does things for any reason other than profit, all I can say is....egads!

If people truly want the change they say they desire and support the issues they claim to then play the long game and force the Democrats to pony up or get fucked. The consequences are theirs and their corporate constituents. They and their rich constituants will definately try to make us pay, but I've got news for you, we're already paying, and not just with President Trump, but in so many other ways, financial and otherwise. We're losing our freedoms and that didn't begin with Trump, it's been happening for a long time now beginning with our responses and reactions to 9/11.

The far right has woken up and the left better as well. Moderates, corporatists and ex-intelligence officials running as Democrats aren't going to cut it. That's the GOP of yesteryear.
Hope the view from the pedestal is high enough you won’t be able to notice the lost rights Americans suffer from when the unchecked right-wing of SCOTUS enshrines restrictions to the wrong types of people and they expand corporate rights. That’ll be important to help remain smug.

I mean otherwise, you’ll probably feel like an idiot.

But you are right, the Dems are the old GOP guard. But that is partly the fault of liberal voters that left for the self delusion of the Green Party and helped force the Dems further right. I know, that is literal irony!

^^^ that.

Or, in other words, what Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Beto O'Rourke, Andrew Gillum, Stacey Abrams and many others are doing.

Hope the view from the pedestal is high enough you won’t be able to notice the lost rights Americans suffer from when the unchecked right-wing of SCOTUS enshrines restrictions to the wrong types of people and they expand corporate rights. That’ll be important to help remain smug.

But you are right, the Dems are the old GOP guard. But that is partly the fault of liberal voters that left for the self delusion of the Green Party and helped force the Dems further right. I know, that is literal irony!

How dare those Green voters not keep up with the Democrats while the Democrats leave them behind, ignore them, and take their votes for granted. How dare those Green voters not be inspired by the message of "we're not as awful as the other guy."

They should signal to the Democratic Party that they don't approve of the direction of the Democratic Party by delivering the vote. That'll show them.

I just voted! This was my first vote-by-mail, as I have work early tomorrow. I always liked the pageantry of "actual" voting, but I also found it very convenient to work on the ballot slowly over the last few weeks. My partner and I snapped "voting selfies" as we dropped the things off into the Special Voting Box. I count my vote as one of the most important privileges and responsibilities in civic life. Have tried to communicate this value to my students as well... but they are much more cynical as a rule.

The Democratic party is much more strict and force outsiders to run as independents.

really???

Bernie Sanders

BS wasn't an outsider, he caucused with the Dems. Though we do know that they used him and then abused him and then sabotaged him and finally spit him out. Poor Bernie,he got so beat up so forcfully and fast that his head spun for a long time. May not be done spinning. And he's still loyal. My guess is it's over for BS.

I just voted! This was my first vote-by-mail, as I have work early tomorrow. I always liked the pageantry of "actual" voting, but I also found it very convenient to work on the ballot slowly over the last few weeks. My partner and I snapped "voting selfies" as we dropped the things off into the Special Voting Box. I count my vote as one of the most important privileges and responsibilities in civic life. Have tried to communicate this value to my students as well... but they are much more cynical as a rule.

What good are selfies if they're not shared?:)

Good for you! Am I understanding this is your first time to vote?

You'll have to make a decision as to whether I'm a Russian or an elitist.

Back
Top Bottom