• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Only 51% Republicans Voted For Trump in Iowa

51.5% of what? How many registered voters are there in Iowa? How many voted? Maybe 20% voted for tRump.

The Iowa caucuses were only open to registered Republicans, and only 19% of those even cast a ballot. Generally speaking, the public doesn't like caucuses, which are designed to make pitches for money and volunteers to support the state party organization. Spending hours listening to speeches and arguing over party positions isn't everyone's idea of a fun way to spend the day, especially in the dead of winter. Primaries are more popular.

It's hard to interpret how a primary might have turned out. In Washington state, we went from party-controlled caucuses to general primaries, but there was a transition period where we were doing both. Initially, the primaries were only so-called "beauty contests" and the caucus system chose actual candidates. The fact is that caucus results and primary results sometimes ended up with the two systems picking different candidates--e.g. Hillary Clinton by caucus, but Bernie Sanders by primary. I don't know whether Trump would have fared better or worse in an Iowa primary.

Trump is doing well, too well, but I'm not saying he is going to win. I'm just not saying he has no chance either. The alt-right have lost their minds and the conservatives will trade a few bucks for our democracy on any day it seems.
yeah. Exactly. I’m not saying that they will, or can, rig the elections. But they will cheat. They will plant false stories and magnify the shit out of them. They will harass minority voters and threaten them with prosecution for illegal voting. They’ll try to block access to voting booths in minority communities. Call in fake bomb threats or some shit. There may be a lot of outright violence come Election Day. And the Dems are not prepared.

I don't really think this means much. The weather was absolutely terrible and Trump was a shoe in to win. I think a lot of Trump supporters just didn't go because they didn't think their votes were needed.
Are you yanks allowed to vote in nicer weather?

I don't really think this means much. The weather was absolutely terrible and Trump was a shoe in to win. I think a lot of Trump supporters just didn't go because they didn't think their votes were needed.
Are you yanks allowed to vote in nicer weather?
If you know the history of why it is on the first Tuesday in November you would really know how dumb our election system is.

Haley's result is a setback.

The differences between Nikki Haley and Hillary Clinton come down to one of them being younger than the other, and that's about it. The GOP of today is not the neocon warmonger GOP of Bush, Cheney, McCain, etc. For better or worse, Trump refocused the GOP away from foreign policy onto domestic populism.

She's running the platform of the old guard of the GOP. Also, it is suspected that a lot of her support came from outside the GOP so that she could be a controlled opposition candidate. The county she did best in is the most Democrat of all the counties in Iowa.

Those who want to sour grapes her loss will say it is about gender. Then again, Haley also ran on being a woman, a lot like Clinton did.

Haley's result is a setback.

The differences between Nikki Haley and Hillary Clinton come down to one of them being younger than the other, and that's about it. The GOP of today is not the neocon warmonger GOP of Bush, Cheney, McCain, etc. For better or worse, Trump refocused the GOP away from foreign policy onto domestic populism.

She's running the platform of the old guard of the GOP. Also, it is suspected that a lot of her support came from outside the GOP so that she could be a controlled opposition candidate. The county she did best in is the most Democrat of all the counties in Iowa.

Those who want to sour grapes her loss will say it is about gender. Then again, Haley also ran on being a woman, a lot like Clinton did.

But Clinton was nominated by the Democrats in 2016. She won the popular vote in the general election, too. Still, gender is an issue in elections. Male candidates have a systemic advantage. It just may not be enough of an advantage to always give them a win. Had she been a male candidate, her popular margin of victory would likely have been higher and possibly even decisive in the electoral count.

The GOP of today is not the neocon warmonger GOP of Bush, Cheney, McCain, etc. For better or worse, Trump refocused the GOP away from foreign policy onto domestic populism.
Well that is complete horseshit, Mr Totally-not-a-Republican-or-Trump-supporter;

Assassination of Qasem Soleimani

Defying Congress, Trump sets $8 billion-plus in weapons sales to Saudi Arabia, UAE

Trump muses about a really bad — and evidently illegal — idea to bomb Russia using Chinese flags

Trump Wanted to Fire Missiles at Mexico.

Trump Threatens ‘Fire and Fury’ Against North Korea if It Endangers U.S.

And that was just off the top of my head. I'm sure if I was really interested I would find out how many times Trump ordered attacks into Yemen, military actions in Africa, taking credit for all the military aid sent to Ukraine (something you were against but for some reason never criticised Trump when he made that claim), but considering you believe Trump is not a warmonger kinda says it all. In fact the only critique I could find from you doing the Trump Administration was this thread you started that was about US aircraft shooting down Syrian planes where you said:

I don't give primary blame to Trump. I think he's not concentrating on foreign policy. He's busy with other stuff while he is basically letting the military run on autopilot as it carries out the last orders given by Obama and Hillary. But he's also not paying enough attention to stop it from getting worse, which he really should considering the stakes. If he really was a Russian puppet as so many tinfoil hat wearers think, this would be a great time for his puppet masters to avert World War Three. If they don't, the Pentagon might start it while Trump isn't paying attention.

Kinda shows where you have your blinders.

I think most Imnotatrumpsuckers are fairly well aware that Trump is a criminal scumbag seeking office to keep himself out of jail. He is not kidding about arresting/executing political opponents and critics, and it’s possible that some Imnotatrumpsuckers know it, but they have a more of a need to attack leftists than a desire to live in a democracy. Because the prospect of turning over the country to Cheato scares the fuck out of rational people, he becomes a useful tool.

So now DeSantis has dropped out of the race and endorsed tRump. Looking at the polls, the son of a bitch will cruise to the nomination. Halley can’t even close her home state of South Carolina. Utterly fucking pathetic.

Our only hope is a massive coronary. Might happen with Melania’s help.

IMG_6778.jpeg

I think most Imnotatrumpsuckers are fairly well aware that Trump is a criminal scumbag seeking office to keep himself out of jail. He is not kidding about arresting/executing political opponents and critics, and it’s possible that some Imnotatrumpsuckers know it, but they have a more of a need to attack leftists than a desire to live in a democracy. Because the prospect of turning over the country to Cheato scares the fuck out of rational people, he becomes a useful tool.
Congratulations on your team's victory in Iowa.

Primary focus isn't on foreign policy != No focus at all in any way on any aspect of foreign policy.

Try again.
Way to gloss over the "Trump isn't a warmonger" inconsistency there.
Well compared to Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Biden ...
Once again showing your blinders. Biden got the US out of Afghanistan and dialled back the drone program to a fraction of what it once was. Yet he is the warmonger and the guy who threatens countries in all caps because his feelings were hurt isn't. Give me a fucking break. You're not fooling anyone. Trump is literally the only President who would be willing to plunge the US into war on a whim and you will never stop apologising for his foreign policy. Spare me.

Primary focus isn't on foreign policy != No focus at all in any way on any aspect of foreign policy.

Try again.
Way to gloss over the "Trump isn't a warmonger" inconsistency there.
Well compared to Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Biden ...
Once again showing your blinders. Biden got the US out of Afghanistan and dialled back the drone program to a fraction of what it once was. Yet he is the warmonger and the guy who threatens countries in all caps because his feelings were hurt isn't. Give me a fucking break. You're not fooling anyone. Trump is literally the only President who would be willing to plunge the US into war on a whim and you will never stop apologising for his foreign policy. Spare me.
Yes, Biden did follow through with a pre-existing plan to get the US out of Afghanistan. Except he changed the end date, incurring the wrath of the local population, and turning the withdraw into a disaster. Now who originally arranged the exit from Afghanistan?

We heard it all in 2016, that Trump was going to start WWIII, which Biden is currently doing. Bush, Obama, and Biden have already plunged the US into war on whims. Trump has a lot of problems, but on foreign policy he is definitely not one of the neocon hawks both parties support.

Back
Top Bottom