• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Only 51% Republicans Voted For Trump in Iowa

but on foreign policy he is definitely not one of the neocon hawks both parties support.
He. Hired. John. Fucking. Bolton.

True. And fired him.

Bush hired Cheney and Rumsfeld. No firings.
Obama hired Clinton and Biden. No firings.

But keep on apologising for him, it totally makes you sound like not a Republican.

Institutional Republicans love war. Therefore, according to Patooka, being opposed to war makes one sound like a Republican.

You quickly dropped the Afghanistan Withdraw talking point. Why is that?

You quickly dropped the Afghanistan Withdraw talking point. Why is that?
You showed it would be entirely unproductive to continue. It's actually my fault; I should have known better by now.
You think that when I provide facts that means it is entirely unproductive to continue. Yes, you should have known that I would provide inconvenient facts.

Primary focus isn't on foreign policy != No focus at all in any way on any aspect of foreign policy.

Try again.
Way to gloss over the "Trump isn't a warmonger" inconsistency there.
Well compared to Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Biden ...
Once again showing your blinders. Biden got the US out of Afghanistan and dialled back the drone program to a fraction of what it once was. Yet he is the warmonger and the guy who threatens countries in all caps because his feelings were hurt isn't. Give me a fucking break. You're not fooling anyone. Trump is literally the only President who would be willing to plunge the US into war on a whim and you will never stop apologising for his foreign policy. Spare me.
Yes, Biden did follow through with a pre-existing plan to get the US out of Afghanistan. Except he changed the end date, incurring the wrath of the local population, and turning the withdraw into a disaster. Now who originally arranged the exit from Afghanistan?

We heard it all in 2016, that Trump was going to start WWIII, which Biden is currently doing. Bush, Obama, and Biden have already plunged the US into war on whims. Trump has a lot of problems, but on foreign policy he is definitely not one of the neocon hawks both parties support.

First of all, there was no pre-existing plan to get the US out of Afghanistan. Trump never formulated one. He made a deal with the Taliban for the US to withdraw by an arbitrary deadline in March of 2021. He did this behind the backs of US allies and the Afghan government that we had been propping up. Trump did reduce some troops, but he made no plans to evacuate those Afghans that had helped the US and no plans for further withdrawals before leaving office. Biden could not possibly have withdrawn the remaining troops in just the few weeks remaining, nor was he in a position to halt the withdrawal. So he extended the deadline and actually ended up doing a fair job of evacuating many people before the short extension deadline was up. The local population was left to fend for themselves, but Biden was in no position to do anything about that. Trump left him with a fait accompli, yet Republicans and their enablers blame Biden, of course, for the mess that Trump left him.

So now DeSantis has dropped out of the race and endorsed tRump. Looking at the polls, the son of a bitch will cruise to the nomination. Halley can’t even close her home state of South Carolina. Utterly fucking pathetic.

Our only hope is a massive coronary. Might happen with Melania’s help.

View attachment 45234
If Trump has a coronary (or otherwise croaks) it is a virtual certainty that we will have a GQP president.
As long as he is alive, and we can arm the Capitol Police, there’s a chance we can save democracy.

Reactions: SLD
So now DeSantis has dropped out of the race and endorsed tRump. Looking at the polls, the son of a bitch will cruise to the nomination. Halley can’t even close her home state of South Carolina. Utterly fucking pathetic.

View attachment 45234
If Trump has a coronary (or otherwise croaks) it is a virtual certainty that we will have a GQP president.
As long as he is alive, and we can arm the Capitol Police, there’s a chance we can save democracy.
Indeed our democratic nominee just ain't inspiring people to come out for him. Sad. I like him. Really don't have a problem with him for the most part. But damn, I just think he won't get the folks out enough.

I don't really think this means much. The weather was absolutely terrible and Trump was a shoe in to win. I think a lot of Trump supporters just didn't go because they didn't think their votes were needed.
Are you yanks allowed to vote in nicer weather?
If you know the history of why it is on the first Tuesday in November you would really know how dumb our election system is.
I know enough to agree with you that it is dumb as it is currently set up.

Yes. Carter definitely was anti-war. In terms of foreign policy, and the nasty tendency to use bombs instead of diplomats in foreign policy, he was the best in recent years. That's calling the '70's recent in order to even have one be recent.

Eisenhower had some pretty good anti-war positions, having inherited and ended the Korean war. It was difficult for his political rivals to say the supreme allied commander of WWII was anti-American for opposing war.

When it comes to foreign policy, the ten best in order are: John Tyler, Warren G. Harding, Herbert Hoover, Grover Cleveland, Calvin Coolidge, John Quincy Adams, Martin Van Buren, Jimmy Carter, Millard Fillmore, Rutherford B. Hayes

Imagine that, the only thing Hoover did right was a fairly peaceful foreign policy.

View attachment 45234
Indeed our democratic nominee just ain't inspiring people to come out for him. Sad. I like him. Really don't have a problem with him for the most part. But damn, I just think he won't get the folks out enough.
I know it's fashionable and all to point to Biden's numbers and get all gloomy, but then again...in 2020 a lot of people (myself included) thought he was a poor choice AND was not campaigning terribly hard. Was he campaigning from his basement? No, but it seemed like he just wasn't putting a lot of effort into it.

Then he beat Trump pretty handily.

On top of that, after the last few election cycles I'm putting a lot less stock in the polls and the conventional wisdom. I mean, if you'd told me at the start of the NFL season that the Detroit Lions would be one of the last 4 teams in the playoffs...?

View attachment 45234
I know it's fashionable and all to point to Biden's numbers and get all gloomy, but then again...in 2020 a lot of people (myself included) thought he was a poor choice AND was not campaigning terribly hard. Was he campaigning from his basement? No, but it seemed like he just wasn't putting a lot of effort into it.

I was one of these people also. While I still disagree with Biden on some issues, he has grown on me. I'll just have to give him the nod on foreign affairs.

Trump has been a losing proposition for the Republicans since 2018. I see no reason why that trend will not continue. He will lose to Biden and assuming both can still fog a mirror, handilier than he did in 2020.
But part of me would just as soon see Biden have to take his chances with Haley than have even a remote possibility of having that nutjob back in office.

On top of that, after the last few election cycles I'm putting a lot less stock in the polls and the conventional wisdom. I mean, if you'd told me at the start of the NFL season that the Detroit Lions would be one of the last 4 teams in the playoffs...?
As Rich Hall once said, "Polls are the opinions of people so stupid they don't know how to avoid someone with a clipboard."

View attachment 45234

I was one of these people also. While I still disagree with Biden on some issues, he has grown on me. I'll just have to give him the nod on foreign affairs.

Trump has been a losing proposition for the Republicans since 2018. I see no reason why that trend will not continue. He will lose to Biden and assuming both can still fog a mirror, handilier than he did in 2020.
But part of me would just as soon see Biden have to take his chances with Haley than have even a remote possibility of having that nutjob back in office.
I think if Trump was out of the equation and Haley had enough of a ramp to get her campaign going, she'd probably have a pretty good chance against Biden. She's not great, but would be able to bring back the few "moderate" Republicans.

But then...Trump isn't going anywhere. The GOP has sniffed the rotting albatross around their neck and are smelling roses.

But then...Trump isn't going anywhere
I dunno … just saw a clip of him ‘splainin’ missile defense. The guy already isn’t all there.
FWIW ($0.02) i absolutely love Joe Biden as a President, and think his skill set as a politician is unrivaled - with the exception of diction. If only he was capable of truly dynamic delivery, Trump would be lucky to get 30% of the popular vote.

As Rich Hall once said, "Polls are the opinions of people so stupid they don't know how to avoid someone with a clipboard."
Polls are generally as accurate as allowed to be. In some cases, they are spun or they are designed to provide a certain response. People complain about polls, but generally, they do provide a good outlook on generalized opinion. They were misunderstood (along with most GOP voters) in 2016. In 2020, they were generally correct.

Back
Top Bottom