• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pro-Lifer says, "Let them die if it costs me money"

I've got to ask, what has changed between the end of March and now? Is the virus less pervasive? Is there adequate testing? Has there been a vaccine distributed that I know nothing about? Seriously, what has changed that has made quarantine so untenable?
Can I add, as I note in my posts, this ain't quarantine. People are allowed to leave their houses, do stuff in their yards. They can go to some parks. They can get groceries, housing supplies, takeout, etc... If you live in the city, it is notably tougher... and goodness I hope the far right-wing doesn't fuck this up and makes us have to stay in soft shutdown in July and August. That'll be hell in the city.

But as of now, goodness, if has been less than four weeks and these people in West Dumbfuck, Michigan just can't handle it. They are pussies! Oh but the economy! My freedom! I can't handle staying inside my home or in my yard or at a park / hiking trail or pick up take-up. I'm fucking fragile and if I spend one more moment with my family... I'm going to lose it! So they strap a bunch of guns to themselves and go protest in Lansing in their cars. What a bunch of fucking losers!

No, we aren't supposed to like, but it ain't that bad. Yes, there are economic complications, and unfortunately, the conservatives have elected a bunch of fucking idiots to Congress over the last 15 to 20 years. So, you fucked that up too!

042020.InfectiousDiseaseExperts.jpg

There is absolutely no question that COVID-19 is significantly and materially more dangerous than influenza.

Nah, we’ve (USA) had worse. Not too long ago either. And that was with people using flu vaccines.

Cite please.

Ooh! I can do this!

Worse? Technically, yes. It is estimated that over 618,000 Americans died in the Civil War.

IF the same number of Americans are infected with the Coronavirus as were with H1N1 (61 million) AND the mortality rate is held to 1 percent (it's currently much higher) THEN a mere 610,000 Americans would die.

Piece of cake! Seven thousand less than the deadliest war in US history! This is no big deal!

(do I need to mention that this is sarcasm?)

Cite please.

Ooh! I can do this!

Worse? Technically, yes. It is estimated that over 618,000 Americans died in the Civil War.

IF the same number of Americans are infected with the Coronavirus as were with H1N1 (61 million) AND the mortality rate is held to 1 percent (it's currently much higher) THEN a mere 610,000 Americans would die.

Piece of cake! Seven thousand less than the deadliest war in US history! This is no big deal!

You lieberals with your fake news sicken me*. That's eight thousand less, not the seven you are claiming in a desperate attempt to slur our glorious leader.

* Unlike fake news Corvid-19

Cite please.

Ooh! I can do this!

You lieberals with your fake news sicken me*. That's eight thousand less, not the seven you are claiming in a desperate attempt to slur our glorious leader.

* Unlike fake news Corvid-19

Hey, what's a thousand lives one way or another in our genocide of the unborn?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. In a couple of days, outlets like OAN and FOX will be using this argument with a straight face. Then whether you mean it or not is incidental.

Jebus... imagine what things would be like if this were a nation wide emergency where we lacked access to electricity! People are shitting themselves right now, and we have access to power, food, the Internet, and can leave the house. Those bitter people still managed to grab more guns, whine about religious persecution and want to dump this all on foreign China (Obama isn't holding his breath to wait for an apology).

These same people would be out of their minds if things were really bad. Opening up fire at food markets where they could be established to protect themselves.

People are shitting themselves right now, and we have access to power, food, the Internet, and can leave the house.

The access to these things is not the problem. It's the paying for these things when you haven't got a job and the $1,200 check has been spent.

I've got to ask, what has changed between the end of March and now? Is the virus less pervasive? Is there adequate testing? Has there been a vaccine distributed that I know nothing about? Seriously, what has changed that has made quarantine so untenable?

Throughout most of the US, hospitals aren't overloaded. The quarantine has reduced the rate of hospitalization enough to prevent that from happening. That by itself isn't a good reason to reopen, though, as we're likely to see an increase in cases as soon as we loosen restrictions.

I would speculate that the biggest change since March is the number of people who have no (or insufficient) income and are now more worried about eviction and food insecurity than about becoming sick.

Cite please.

The CDC estimates that deaths from flu is between 12,000 and 61,000 annually since 2010. 2017/2018 being a particularly bad year, estimated at 60k+ deaths.

I will mention again, that the 61,000 is the deaths over AN ENTIRE YEAR, versus the current US death toll of 42,000 over less than two months, with social distancing in place for a large part of it?

Then again... there are two types of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete information.

I will mention again, that the 61,000 is the deaths over AN ENTIRE YEAR, versus the current US death toll of 42,000 over less than two months, with social distancing in place for a large part of it?

A "flu season" would be more accurate. Also, the number of deaths attributed as being caused by covid 19 are undoubtedly well over stated as is the fatality rate. It's serious, but so far things appear to be in line with a particularly bad flu season.

A "flu season" would be more accurate. Also, the number of deaths attributed as being caused by covid 19 are undoubtedly well over stated as is the fatality rate. It's serious, but so far things appear to be in line with a particularly bad flu season.

Are they?
Almost everywhere where there have been major outbreaks and where we have data about total deaths from all causes, the excess mortality (number of deaths per week compared to the same week in previous years) is higher than the recorded deaths, most typically about twice as high. https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...kJdex8_GdlJNXb3NwIWlSZQHT6SO9j7HbsVg9XmuSesnU

On what do you base your assumption that deaths from COVID are overstated? From my research, there seems to be a better likelihood that they're understated. The resources I'm using report deaths that are directly attributed to positively tested COVID infections.

Are they?
Almost everywhere where there have been major outbreaks and where we have data about total deaths from all causes, the excess mortality (number of deaths per week compared to the same week in previous years) is higher than the recorded deaths, most typically about twice as high. https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...kJdex8_GdlJNXb3NwIWlSZQHT6SO9j7HbsVg9XmuSesnU
I'm assuming they mean relative to 1918. Because otherwise, they are full of it. I think NC reported that they exceeded their annual flu deaths with just one month of deaths from Covid-19. Granted, the deaths are overstated because TSwizzle says so. NYC is always burying people in mass graves.

TSwizzle's character in a horror film is the one you actually enjoy watch getting filleted.

Cite please.

The CDC estimates that deaths from flu is between 12,000 and 61,000 annually since 2010. 2017/2018 being a particularly bad year, estimated at 60k+ deaths.

Look on the bright side - by some time in early May Covfefe-19 will have cost about as many American lives as 20 years of the Vietnam War. And that was no big deal, right? So it happened in 4 months instead of 20 years; not much difference there, right?

Then again... there are two types of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete information.

'fraid you're dealing with a Type II here. :rolleyes:
Also two types; those who know how to reference their assertions and those who pull it out of their ass. And again... II

NYC is always burying people in mass graves.

Yes, I know that. Hart Island has always been used that way. A bit busier these days but it's not quite the shocking image you like to project.

For a sociopath, perhaps. But for human beings, this:

As of Tuesday afternoon, there have been more than 253,400 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in New York, including more than 141,235 in New York City. More than 14,828 people with COVID-19 have died in the state, not including the deaths of people with probable cases.

Nationwide, more than 788,920 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed across all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and three U.S. territories. More than 42,458 Americans have lost their lives to the virus, and the toll now grows by more than 2,000 each day. COVID-19 has killed more than 171,800 worldwide. The disease has killed far more people in the U.S. than in any other country.

Is not just shocking, it's inexcusable since the vast majority of it would not have happened were it not for Trump's profound incompetence, recklessly endangering narcissism and irrational Obama Derangement Syndrome.

And we haven't even reached peak deaths (even by Trump's own professional liars) or have any idea how severe the anticipated second wave will be, or if there will be a third or fourth or tenth or twentieth wave or how severe those may be, etc.

Thankfully there are now thousands of deplorable dipshits all deliberately infecting each other because their fuhrer told them to in order to save the stock market, so at least we will now start seeing a significant increase in their deaths, as well, which will only be a silver lining in this mounting, unnecessary horror show.

Back
Top Bottom