• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Profound Thoughts

you know, it's kind of impressive that our modern medical knowledge is SO GOOD that people are generally so healthy and long-lived enough that they can convince themselves that modern medical knowledge is not the reason they're so healthy...

Doesn't make THEM any less stupid, but it is a compliment on the knowledge.
When things are too good for too long, people start thinking this is just normal.

Heck, even in music where it is possible to have uncompressed music, people buy records today because they think it sounds better.

you know, it's kind of impressive that our modern medical knowledge is SO GOOD that people are generally so healthy and long-lived enough that they can convince themselves that modern medical knowledge is not the reason they're so healthy...

Doesn't make THEM any less stupid, but it is a compliment on the knowledge.

Yeah, in the absence of modern medicine, this is normal:

IMG_4851.JPG

The death roll for London, 1632.

'Chrisomes' are baptised babies under one month of age; Along with infants, they make up a quarter of all deaths.

Most of the rest of the diseases listed are rare in the developed world today because of vaccination; And those few who do contract them mostly survive, due to antibiotics.

The King's Evil, for example, is Scrofula, an infection of the lymphatic system in the neck by the same bacterium responsible for Consumption or Tissick (Tuberculosis) when it infects lung tissue. All of these are easily cured by a week or two of antibiotic therapy today - but could easily be fatal before WWII, as antibiotics didn't exist.

Even as recently as a century ago, these were routinely fatal diseases.

If kinetic energy is converted into thermal energy, how hard do I have to slap a chicken to cook it?

Winter - The Justin Bieber of seasons.
It's cute when you first see it, and the kids love it, but after a while it becomes grating. Annoying. You just wish it'd stayed in Canada.

Victor Frankenstein. Ambitious. Brilliant. Arrogant af. On the cutting edge of biological science.

And a tragic figure responsible for many tragic figures in his orbit.
But we probably should not judge him too harshly. He was, in the end, just a man with a dream.

And a shovel. A dream and a shovel.
Probably shouldn't forget the shovel.

Victor Frankenstein. Ambitious. Brilliant. Arrogant af. On the cutting edge of biological science.

And a tragic figure responsible for many tragic figures in his orbit.
But we probably should not judge him too harshly. He was, in the end, just a man with a dream.

And a shovel. A dream and a shovel.
Probably shouldn't forget the shovel.

Reminds me of a profound thought expressed by our County Commissioner (a rancher) in a closed-door Water Board meeting:
"I'd rather be upstream with a shovel than downstream with a decree."

Footprints on the sand

I only see one pair of footprints in the sand. Lord you promised my guidance. Why do I see one set of footprints in the sand.

Footprints?

Yeah, you know, walk along side me.

Walk? What are in the heck you talking about? There seems to be some misunderstanding here. Let me ask you a question, what species on Earth is inteligently designed to not get cancer.

Well... umm... I think whales.

Uh huh. And which animal is capable of communicating with others from great distances.

Well... I guess whales again.

Uh huh! And which species targets and kills these majestic beasts?!

Oh boy, I don’t like where this is headed.

Sitting at the E.R. I don't want to get into details but the "Dyson Ball Cleaner" is a very misleading product name.

NOTHING freezes a parent's heart like hearing "Oh-oh!" from a room you didn't know your kid was in.

If kinetic energy is converted into thermal energy, how hard do I have to slap a chicken to cook it?
If you are Batman, 243 efficiently placed slaps.
Superman, .03 slaps.

From 4 feet away. Do not actually touch chicken unless making chicken broth.

I've been wondering. A friend of mine hasn't been having any sex whatsoever with his wife for many years. Given the coronavirus crisis, is it safe for me to continue?

The next time your wife

gets angry, drape a towel

over her shoulders (like a cape).

and say "Now you're

SUPER ANGRY!"

Maybe she'll laugh.

Maybe you'll die.​

If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the first inappropriately.

Back
Top Bottom