• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Racism And Kamala Harris

Good reporting
... yes, on what they actually report on. They're pretty picky in that regard. They tend to focus on shit that doesn't run afoul of or challenge their VERY BIASED editorial policy.
As I understand it, if they are choosing to not report the news on something because it sounds pro-left, then that also influences their media bias rating and they get "right leaning" points as a result. And as I noted earlier, their opinion pages are biased to the right. Not the far right, like Alex Jones, Breitbart and Qanon crap. The WSJ appeals to those in the business and finance world. You would expect their opinion pages to favor pro-business policies, like lower corporate taxes, less regulation, favorable tax code, etc. The civilized world needs thriving businesses (small and large) and entrepreneurs. Its not like its some great evil.

The civilized world needs thriving businesses (small and large) and entrepreneurs. Its not like its some great evil.
I agree. And if these businesses could operate ethically on their own they wouldn’t need as much regulation.

(Sorry, the quotes got messed up. That should be a response to thebeave’s text.)
Edited by mod to fix quotes

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue of qualifications always comes up, for any appointment.
But when the appointing officer artificially restricts the consideration to a demographic group comprising only ~2.7% of the population, it is unlikely that anything close to the best candidate for the job is being picked. That's because more than 96% of potential candidates have been excluded based on nothing more than having the wrong skin color and wrong plumbing.
There is no single best candidate for the job of VP. 2.7% of the population is a little under 891,000. It is pretty narrow thinking to believe that a good VP candidate could not be found from the demographic of black women.
That supposed "liberals" are defending this bullshit just shows how far American liberalism has fallen.
Take a look at George W Bush and remember it was all about anti-intellectualism and how the right despised "intellectual elites" of which they portrayed Gore and W was the guy you'd like to drink a beer with and maybe snort some coke with off of a hooker's back.
The "have a beer with" is a shorthand for likability, not "anti-intellectualism". Although W was quite dumb, admittedly.
Biden and Obama are not "anti-intellectual" and yet they have that quality too.
So, yeah, of course, Kamala Harris was more qualified than J.D. Vance...just like QOP accusations are their confessions.
KH is running for president, JDV for vice president - why are you comparing them?
That said, both of their qualifications look good on paper, but are far less impressive "on tarmac".
For example, KH showed utter lack of judgment during her ill-fated 2020 campaign that fizzled out even before 2020 rolled around. And as Veep, she failed in the task she was given, that of the border czarina.
Oh contraire. The job of the border czar was to draw the critiicism off the President for the inevitable criticism for the lack of "action" that a bureaucrat hindered by laws and the lack of resources and bipartisan support, and perhaps even basic human decency. As a target, Ms. Harris has done that well, as your post demonstrates.

There really are only two ways to "migrant invasion". Deportation doesn't stop the "flood", it just changes the faces. Either kill them as they try to enter or make the USA a shittier hole than the one they are trying to escape.
2.7% is 8.9 million.

There is no single best candidate for the job of VP. 2.7% of the population is a little under 891,000. It is pretty narrow thinking to believe that a good VP candidate could not be found from the demographic of black women.
On the other hand, there absolutely IS a single worst example of a US President; And yet that very individual is currently one of the two candidates to take on the role next year.

The Democrats are in the enviable position of not having to find a candidate who they believe is the very best American for the job of President; They merely have to meet the extraordinarily low bar of finding a candidate who is better than Trump.

To hear Repuicans hinting darkly that Harris may be less qualified than other Dems, and have been chosen because of her race or gender, is beyond absurd.

Whatever the reasons for picking Trump were (and his race and gender certainly may have played a role), it is undeniable that there are hundreds of better qualified candidates, even amongst the slim pickings offered by the GOP.

Harris will make an infinitely better POTUS than Trump was. As would any of millions of Americans, of all races and genders.

Could the Dems have picked an even better candidate? Probably not; But even if they could, who cares? Apart, obviously, from racists and sexists, the only person to care would be that hypothetical "better qualified candidate" himself, and as he hasn't spoken up, it seems likely that he is imaginary.

In the unlikely event that he isn't, his smart move would be to get himself picked as VP, and then run in his own right in 2032.

Good reporting
... yes, on what they actually report on. They're pretty picky in that regard. They tend to focus on shit that doesn't run afoul of or challenge their VERY BIASED editorial policy.
As I understand it, if they are choosing to not report the news on something because it sounds pro-left, then that also influences their media bias rating and they get "right leaning" points as a result.
Correct. It likely contributes to their editorial rating, being an editorial decision to include or not include items…

The issue of qualifications always comes up, for any appointment.
But when the appointing officer artificially restricts the consideration to a demographic group comprising only ~2.7% of the population, it is unlikely that anything close to the best candidate for the job is being picked. That's because more than 96% of potential candidates have been excluded based on nothing more than having the wrong skin color and wrong plumbing.
That supposed "liberals" are defending this bullshit just shows how far American liberalism has fallen.
Take a look at George W Bush and remember it was all about anti-intellectualism and how the right despised "intellectual elites" of which they portrayed Gore and W was the guy you'd like to drink a beer with and maybe snort some coke with off of a hooker's back.
The "have a beer with" is a shorthand for likability, not "anti-intellectualism". Although W was quite dumb, admittedly.
Biden and Obama are not "anti-intellectual" and yet they have that quality too.
So, yeah, of course, Kamala Harris was more qualified than J.D. Vance...just like QOP accusations are their confessions.
KH is running for president, JDV for vice president - why are you comparing them?
That said, both of their qualifications look good on paper, but are far less impressive "on tarmac".
For example, KH showed utter lack of judgment during her ill-fated 2020 campaign that fizzled out even before 2020 rolled around. And as Veep, she failed in the task she was given, that of the border czarina.
Oh contraire. The job of the border czar was to draw the critiicism off the President for the inevitable criticism for the lack of "action" that a bureaucrat hindered by laws and the lack of resources and bipartisan support, and perhaps even basic human decency. As a target, Ms. Harris has done that well, as your post demonstrates.

There really are only two ways to "migrant invasion". Deportation doesn't stop the "flood", it just changes the faces. Either kill them as they try to enter or make the USA a shittier hole than the one they are trying to escape.
2.7% is 8.9 million.
Thanks, I misplaced a zero.

That correction makes Derec’s complaint look even more damning since it is pretty hard to believe that a good VP could not exist within a pool of 8.9 black women.

That correction makes Derec’s complaint look even more damning since it is pretty hard to believe that a good VP could not exist within a pool of 8.9 black women.
Now you've misplaced six of 'em!

Mind you, even 0.9 of a black woman would probably make a better VP than Vance.

First black woman named to SCOTUS and people still get their panties in a bunch over it.
The problem is that Biden vowed to only consider black women for the position as part of his corrupt bargain with Clyburn, who delivered South Carolina to him in the primaries.
The problem is that some are unable to recognize t that until very recently the only people ever considered for high office were white and male. That did not mean that there were no females or persons of color who had the attributes most valuable for high office. Biden saw very up close and personal what a talented person Harris is. He dud make the decision to check look among a subset of highly qualified candidates for those who were female and persons of color. In the past the only subset of candidates that mattered were those who are white and male. Did not hear you cry about that or consider it anything other than normal or assumed.

So why dies Kamal Harris bother you when neither Bush bothered you. Jr. after all was a nepo baby who got backing based on who his ( white) daddy is.

How about a half of a boy?

How about a half of a boy?

I think what was missing was the M.

I think what comes out of a dog’s hind end would be better than either Trump or Vance.

First black woman named to SCOTUS and people still get their panties in a bunch over it.
The problem is that Biden vowed to only consider black women for the position as part of his corrupt bargain with Clyburn, who delivered South Carolina to him in the primaries.
And from a practical standpoint do you think The Felon considered anything but white males? He's just as much a racist/sexist pick as Kamala Harris.

And from a practical standpoint do you think The Felon considered anything but white males? He's just as much a racist/sexist pick as Kamala Harris.
Except that Orange Manboy's DEI credentials are Discrimination, Exclusion and Intimidation.

J.D. Vance Wins Trump Veepstakes. Here’s Everyone He Beat Out.

There were men, women, whites, blacks, asians, an hispanic and a disabled guy in his VP short list.

I see this Atwaterism arising on X. And right winged media. Paint me disgusted.

I don't follow the dumpster fire formerly known as Twitter, but I'm not the least bit surprised. The next 100 days or so will be thinly veiled racism and misogyny from the GOP, and blatant racism and misogyny from the likes of Gorka, Charlie Kirk, and the other right wing ghouls. Oh, and how about that whole narrative that Trump would be a "changed man" after his experience, and would run as a "unifying candidate?" That shit lasted about a nanosecond. Side note, the right wingers on social media are blaming the Secret Service failure on the fact that the Director is a woman, and that there were female agents on Trump's detail.

This is going to get really, really ugly.
Thinly VEILED??? HA!!!

It will be interesting to see how racist they get, and how that affects the black voters they have been trying to attract lately.

On a petty side note, I'd love it if Biden resigned just before the end of his term, making Harris the 47th president, so all that Trump 47 merchandise will now be out of date.
Actually, I thought that Biden had the better chance of beating Trump, especially since he’s done it before. And if he didn’t feel up to it, Harris would take over.
I respectfully disagree. Have you 'joined the call'?

It will be interesting to see how racist they get, and how that affects the black voters they have been trying to attract lately.

On a petty side note, I'd love it if Biden resigned just before the end of his term, making Harris the 47th president, so all that Trump 47 merchandise will now be out of date.
Actually, I thought that Biden had the better chance of beating Trump, especially since he’s done it before. And if he didn’t feel up to it, Harris would take over.
I respectfully disagree. Have you 'joined the call'?
I understand. If you mean, have I joined the call, as in an I voting for Harris: yes, gladly.i did need a day to mourn and to be enraged at people pushing Biden out.

Kamala was on my short list for 2020. I groaned loudly when Biden joined the race but firmly committed when he was named and enthusiastically supported him as I would have nearly any Dem. Biden thoroughly surprise me and I’ve been happy with how much he has accomplished given the extremely narrow margin on the Senate and the GOP House majority.

And Goodhair only considered black women (it's a trend in the contemporary Democratic Party it seems) even though they comprise only ~2.7% of the population of the state.

Not sure how you decided that 2.7% was a defensible number to use regarding California Black women for the role of Senator for Newsome’s pick. Maybe being sloppy about numbers is part of deriding people for race.

But,

African Americans in California
Ethnic group, race and minority in California
African American Californians, or Black Californians are residents of the state of California who are of African ancestry. According to 2019 United States Census Bureau estimates, those identified solely as African American or black constituted 5.8% or 2,282,144 residents in California. Including an additional 1.2% who identified as having partial African ancestry, the figure was 7.0%. Wikipedia

Obviously Newsome would have been happy to select someone with partial African ancestry, moving the female percent from 2.9% (not 2.7%) to 3.5% and encompassing something like 1.3 million black women.

… back on the presidential race

It is so interesting to me that people will still call Harris unqualified through the “DEI pick” slur. Her qualifications (DA, AG, Senate, VP) are clearly and objectively better preparation than either Trump or Vance. So the message seems to be, Look how bad Harris is - and GOP couldn’t even aspire to being as good as that!

And further, for derec in particular, It is so interesting to me that you have stated that you plan to vote for Harris because, you say, she is indeed obviously a better choice than Trump. So I take that to mean you think Trump losing is a goal worth achieving. But then you spend days and days denigrating the candidate that you hope (I presume!) people will vote for. It’s as if you are warring between your desire to see Trump defeated, and you are willing to personally act to make that happen, and an inability to refrain from sabotaging that objective due to a need to publicly put down Harris. I honestly don’t know why a person would do that. You’re not the only one I see do it. But it puzzles me. Why sabotage the effort that you say you want to achieve? What if people hear you and listen to your denigration of Harris and decide to vote for Trump because of your message? That goes against your earlier claim that you are not a Trumper.

It plumb evades me.

There were men, women, whites, blacks, asians, an hispanic and a disabled guy in his VP short list.
According to that article there were 17 people on the "short" list. Doesn't seem short for me.

According to that article there were 17 people on the "short" list. Doesn't seem short for me.
Not so short if you’re thinking about a potential pool of >1M

Back
Top Bottom