• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein's Deterioration

One thing a person on CNN noted was the reaction of McConnell's staff during the incident. 100% unsurprised and even had a protocol it seemed, to manage it.

It is obvious that McConnell is sick and won't be able to effectively run for re-election in 2026. If he is even still alive by then. I suspect soon, some GOP politician or two will soon be floating a balloon about a run for his seat. Lining up support, money and laying out his or her vision for an U.S. Senator.

Interestingly, Georgia harpy Majorietaylorgreenepalooza has tweeted that Mitch is unfit for office: "Severe aging health issues and/or mental health incompetence in our nation's leaders MUST be addressed." Then she goes where you expect: "Biden, McConnell, Feinstein and Fetterman are examples of people who are not fit for office." Apparently deleted from her tweet is the coda: "I, of course, am a malicious media troll and crazy as a craphouse rat. Catch me if you can."

Sad to see, hope he's okay.

His staff seem unconcerned so I suspect they know exactly what is going on.

Ironic that it happened during a question asking if he will be running for the 26 election.

Ironic that it happened during a question asking if he will be running for the 26 election.
There's a (likely apocryphal) story that when the Soviet Army stormed the German government complex in Berlin in 1945, they encountered a clerk who was still at work, dutifully calculating the Wehrmacht's paperclip requirements for financial year 1946-7.

I’d love nothing more than for Kentucky governor Andy Bashear (D) to appoint a Democratic replacement, right after Mitch the Glitch strokes out on national television.

And when the GOP starts screaming foul, WTF, there’s a rule to be followed—you have to pick one of the three (Republican) names submitted by “the party of the Senator being replaced”, I’d just say, “There’s a rule in the Constitution, too, that says Supreme Court vacancies be filled promptly, too, and guess who broke that one?”

I’d love nothing more than for Kentucky governor Andy Bashear (D) to appoint a Democratic replacement, right after Mitch the Glitch strokes out on national television.

And when the GOP starts screaming foul, WTF, there’s a rule to be followed—you have to pick one of the three (Republican) names submitted by “the party of the Senator being replaced”, I’d just say, “There’s a rule in the Constitution, too, that says Supreme Court vacancies be filled promptly, too, and guess who broke that one?”
If Obama had operated like Trump’s ideal
Government he would have just sworn Garland in and threatened the Congress to sue him. The case would have been heard by the Supreme Court and Garland wouldn’t have recused himself.

Once we take integrity and ethics out of government the whole thing will unravel. We currently have a few threads hanging loose begging to be pulled.

Government he would have just sworn Garland in and threatened the Congress to sue him. The case would have been heard by the Supreme Court and Garland wouldn’t have recused himself.

Once we take integrity and ethics out of government the whole thing will unravel. We currently have a few threads hanging loose begging to be pulled.
THIS ^^^^!

There are still people who are competent, steady, centrists. People who want to do their best to Keep America Great.

Imperfect people, but you do what you gotta do with what you've got.

They are consistently Democratic politicians. Overwhelmingly politicians with a (D) after their name. I don't like that at all, I liked the good old days when the party affiliation didn't matter. Basic competence and integrity were what mattered.

But that was then and this is now. Nowadays, a politician with an (R) after his name I can assume is a liar and a criminal. A politician with (D) after their name might be. But a Republican politician wouldn't be in politics if they couldn't lie and dissemble well enough to suit the party of Trump, which is going a piece.
Tom

THIS ^^^^!

There are still people who are competent, steady, centrists. People who want to do their best to Keep America Great.

Imperfect people, but you do what you gotta do with what you've got.

They are consistently Democratic politicians. Overwhelmingly politicians with a (D) after their name. I don't like that at all, I liked the good old days when the party affiliation didn't matter. Basic competence and integrity were what mattered.

But that was then and this is now. Nowadays, a politician with an (R) after his name I can assume is a liar and a criminal. A politician with (D) after their name might be. But a Republican politician wouldn't be in politics if they couldn't lie and dissemble well enough to suit the party of Trump, which is going a piece.
Tom
At least we have seen a few (R)s with integrity in this whole affair: Raffensperger, Kemp, Bowers, and a few others. But far, far from enough.

I frequently find myself of two minds about this; this temptation to wish the Left would fight fire with fire instead of consistently “taking the high road,” “refusing to go down to their level,” whatever metaphor one chooses to reflect the Left’s general tendency to play by the rules as opposed to the Right’s general tendency to cheat them.
For the Left, playing by the rules these days just makes you a principled loser, able to cling to your useless, purely conceptual self-image while the Right is systematically taking away real-world assets like abortion rights, a moderate, balanced Supreme Court, electoral districts that reflect reality, confidence in our very democracy.

I’m reminded of an old joke—it’s not a good one, but it came to mind:
There was a nice (but dumb) guy who happened to be married to a beautiful woman. One day, a bully showed up at his house and proposed a little game—the bully drew a circle on the floor outside the bedroom, telling the husband, “you have to stand in this circle, while I go into the bedroom with your wife, for as long as I want.” The husband agrees, and of course the bully screws hell out of her. When he emerges, exhausted, the husband is standing in the circle, unable to stifle his giggling. Curious, the bully asks him what’s so funny.
The dummy, through his laughter, says, “While you were in there, I stepped outside of the circle three times!”

I see a lot of that dummy in today’s Democratic party. We seem content to take these little symbolic “wins” where we can get them, even if they are essentially conceptual or illusory, while the Right is doing the dirty work of dismantling everything we hold dear in the real world.

And I realize that the Left is not without some genuine, meaningful victories—after all, Biden was sworn in January 2021, not Trump, and, justice is (slowly) being meted out to the insurrectionists—but liberal wins tend to be scored despite having one hand tied behind our backs.

I’d be curious to see what we could do if we played ball “their way” for a presidential administration or two.

If we took integrity and ethics out of government…how would we know?

I know that sounds like a pithy bumper sticker or t-shirt, but at its core there’s a legitimate question there.

If everyone (or very nearly everyone) in a government isn’t clean, the thing is dirty.
Not every player on the 1919 Chicago White Sox was in on the plot of throwing the World Series to the Reds—but the whole team, rightly, is forever stained with dishonor. Fully half of the U.S. government (at least) is dirty right now…and we’re damaging our democracy, perhaps permanently, as a consequence.

There's a (likely apocryphal) story that when the Soviet Army stormed the German government complex in Berlin in 1945, they encountered a clerk who was still at work, dutifully calculating the Wehrmacht's paperclip requirements for financial year 1946-7.
Obviously apocryphal--the requirements are clearly zero. There's no work to be done.

Great news!

article said:
The Capitol’s attending physician, Brian Monahan, said in a new letter that Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell did not suffer a stroke or seizure – and is not suffering from Parkinson’s disease – after the 81-year-old Kentuckian was evaluated by a group of neurologists following two recent health scares in front of TV cameras.
:)

Letter link

That's wonderful!

I mean the only thing we really need to fear is fear itself. The letter did a great job of saying what didn't cause the pausing the McConnell has demonstrated twice in public and an unreported number of times out of public eye. Other things that we can likely exclude from being the cause: aliens, Tom Brady, and Ukrainian Nazis (probably).

While I am certain McConnell has been to a real doctor and the doctor has told him what is going on (and my need to know what is really going on is likely not my business, other than whether he is compromised regarding his capacity to fulfill his role), this Capitol Doctor letter is as on the level as was Trump's physical results.

Great news!

article said:
The Capitol’s attending physician, Brian Monahan, said in a new letter that Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell did not suffer a stroke or seizure – and is not suffering from Parkinson’s disease – after the 81-year-old Kentuckian was evaluated by a group of neurologists following two recent health scares in front of TV cameras.
:)

Letter link

That's wonderful!

I mean the only thing we really need to fear is fear itself. The letter did a great job of saying what didn't cause the pausing the McConnell has demonstrated twice in public and an unreported number of times out of public eye. Other things that we can likely exclude from being the cause: aliens, Tom Brady, and Ukrainian Nazis (probably).

While I am certain McConnell has been to a real doctor and the doctor has told him what is going on (and my need to know what is really going on is likely not my business, other than whether he is compromised regarding his capacity to fulfill his role), this Capitol Doctor letter is as on the level as was Trump's physical results.
Have they ruled out "Edgar suit" yet?

Re: McConnell’s glitches. It seems that they may very well be a consequence of a concussion he suffered during a fall some while ago.
One thing noted by Gupta on CNN was that McConnell grabbed the podium during his freeze. Kind of like it is the only thing he can ponder and his head is all fuzzy, so he grabs the podium to remain steady. Concussion was 6 months ago, it must have been a doozy of an impact.

The only question I'm pondering about is if this is happening often (as we can tell by the reaction of his staffers) why isn't he using a cane.

Back
Top Bottom