• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged So what's next for Trump?

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
******************BREAKING NEWS****************
A MESSAGE FROM SENATOR LINDSEY GRAHAM
My fellow Americans:
I'm sorry. I'm so upset. But please help President Trump.
If you can afford five or ten bucks, if you can't afford a dollar, fine, just pray.
Pray for this country.
And if you've got any money to give...GIVE IT.
Send your donations to:
Mar-a-Lago Club
ATTN: Bullion and Currency Steward
1100 S. Ocean Blvd.
Palm Beach, FL 33480

Thank you and God bless each one of you.

My fellow Americans:
If you can afford five or ten bucks, if you can't afford a dollar, fine, just pray. Oh wait! Did I say pray? Stupid phone - I meant pay!
Pay for this country.
Send your donations to:
Mar-a-Lago Club
1100 S. Ocean Blvd.
Palm Beach, FL 33480

FIFY, Windsock.

My fellow Americans:
If you can afford five or ten bucks, if you can't afford a dollar, fine, just pray.
Pray for this country.
Send your donations to:
Mar-a-Lago Club
1100 S. Ocean Blvd.
Palm Beach, FL 33480

Trump fucker is flying around in his personal 757. But he NEEDS these donations from the brainwashed cultists. Have they no brains?

If I were better at the internetz,

I would find and post a link to Trump's original claim "I'm incorruptible! I've got so much money I don't want anyone else's. I don't need it."
Tom

More charges coming from Jack Smith it seems.

As Feuer wrote, "...the reference to continuing investigations was the first overt suggestion — however vague — that other criminal cases could emerge from the work that the special counsel Jack Smith has done in bringing the Espionage Act and obstruction indictment against Mr. Trump in Miami last week."

The Times report notes that the mention of "ongoing investigations" likely are related to Smith's inquiry into the events of Jan 6th when the former president helped incite an insurrection at the Capitol where protestors attempted to halt the certification of the 2020 presidential election that Trump lost.

Trump just lost another lawyer, Jim Trusty, due to "irreconcilable differences".

Trump's interview with Bret Baier on Fox News was a total disaster for his defense lawyers, not that they had much hope of beating the charges anyway. However, clips from that interview will be shown to the jury, because he offers excuses for why he hid boxes of secret documents from the government and claimed he had turned everything over. He said that he was "too busy" and needed to sort through them first. This was why his lawyers did not plan to put him on the stand to testify under oath. However, the taped interview will be admissible as evidence of his knowledge and intent. He also continued to claim that he had declassified he documents.

At this point, his numbers are beginning to dip even among Republicans.

CNN Poll: Trump’s GOP support appears to soften post-indictment, but he holds lead in primary field

A quarter of Republicans now appear to be Never Trumpers. Those naming Trump for their first choice in the CNN survey among Republicans is only at 47% now, down from 53% last month. His approval rating among Republicans dropped from 77% to 67%.

Among the general public:

Most Americans view charges as disqualifying​

Outside of the Republican Party, though, these charges are broadly viewed as disqualifying. Among all Americans, 59% say that Trump ought to end his campaign now that he’s facing federal charges, with another 11% saying he should do so if convicted on these charges. Among all registered voters who are not aligned with the Republican Party, there’s broad agreement: 85% say Trump should end his campaign now, and another 7% that he should end it if he’s convicted.

Most US adults, 55%, say that Trump acted illegally in the situation involving these classified documents, with 30% saying that he acted unethically but not illegally, and just 15% that he did nothing wrong. The partisan divide in views of Trump’s actions has widened since earlier this year. Compared with a January survey, more Democrats (up 10 points to 89%) and independents (up 7 points to 59%) now say they believe Trump acted illegally, but the share of Republicans who feel that way has dropped (down 7 points to 18%).

Overall, even as 61% of Americans approve of the decision to indict the former president, majorities across party lines believe politics played a role in the decision to charge him, including 53% of Democrats, 67% of independents and 92% of Republicans.

Hopefully, it should become clear that irrespective of anything else he cannot be trusted to properly handle classified information. Imagine a scenario in which he becomes President again and the intelligence community will not show him classified information. I'm sure they can get fired for that, but would you want to be the one to hand over military secrets to Trump after all this?

"Among all registered voters who are not aligned with the Republican Party, there’s broad agreement: 85% say Trump should end his campaign now, and another 7% that he should end it if he’s convicted."

Then there are those of us who want the real Republicans to get a shot at nomination. Therefore hope Trump keeps up his shenanigans and crime long enough to melt down the TeaParty wing of the GOP.

It's a dream, not a hope really.
Tom

It's a dream, not a hope really.

And a dangerous one. I just hope that the man never makes it to the nomination. Biden and his party should just have to try to win without Trump's help.

The damage was done when the TeaParty took over the GOP.
Folks like McConnell and Cruz etc. decided to accept Trump as the new Republican norm. That's when the disaster began.

Now, the question is "Do Conservative politicians care about the U.S. enough to fix the problem they caused, or not? How far into the danger zone must the U.S. sink before they start caring about it(the US).

Apparently a long way.
Tom

Now, the question is "Do Conservative politicians care about the U.S. enough to fix the problem they caused, or not? How far into the danger zone must the U.S. sink before they start caring about it(the US).

I think conservatives have a different take on what is dangerous to the US and what it takes to fix the problem. Appealing to their patriotism doesn't always help. Trump does that, and it works out well for him. "Make America Great Again" is an appeal to their patriotism. The Trump cult is perhaps the greatest threat to America's greatness in the minds of liberals.

I'd say that Trump appeals to nationalism which is easy to cloak as patriotism. After all, his stump speeches were hardly ever about growing the American brand. It was about putting toothpaste back in the tube, putting people back in their places (closet, slums, Mexico/Central/South America)., and oddly enough... whining. Trump is the whiniest putz I'm aware of in US politics.

Global Reaction to Trump Indictment Runs the Gamut - The New York Times - "Worldwide, Trump’s Latest Legal Woes Draw Outrage, and Shrugs" - "Allies and rivals alike, beholding the messiness of America, must calculate the risks and opportunities in the latest plot twist in Donald Trump’s legal troubles."
China’s propaganda machine, which would normally leap on a U.S. scandal, stayed quiet. Russian commentators called the charges a fake production of the “deep state.” And among American allies in Asia and Europe, there were concerns that the episode hurt not just the former president, but also the United States by highlighting that security secrets were not safe in America’s hands, and that the country’s disorienting, partisan fever has yet to break.

“The case shows once again that Donald Trump belongs behind bars, not in the White House,” Ralf Stegner, a German Social Democrat who sits on the German intelligence oversight committee, said in a text message, adding: “This man is a threat to security and democracy in the U.S. and around the world.”

Many countries chose silence in public and eye rolls in private. “Save your energy, because there will be other things to react to,” said Ian Chong, a political scientist at the National University of Singapore, summing up how many in Southeast Asia in particular are viewing Mr. Trump’s latest case.
Some Russian commentators sounded just like MAGA right-wing commentators, saying that the 2020 Presidential election was rigged and that Trump was the real winner, saying that the charges are an effort by the "deep state" to push Trump out of the 2024 Presidential race, and saying that Joe Biden is running for re-election so that he doesn't get charged with anything.

“This is coming after the leak of the so-called Discord documents” — a batch of classified documents that surfaced on social media sites — “and all the concerns about what may have been leaked about the Ukrainian offensive,” said Jacob Kirkegaard, a Brussels-based senior fellow with the German Marshall Fund. “There’s a degree of Europeans thinking, is Trump someone we can rely on for our own security?”

He added that “Trump seems to be politically quite happy about being able to be the victim and the martyr, because it does appear to energize his base,” arguing that with a Republican Party seemingly wedded to such a leader, “Europe needs to take care much more of its own security.”
Good description.
“Neglect, narcissistic desire for possession, lying, concealment. But above all, absolute disregard for national security,” an article in the French daily Le Monde declared in its coverage.

Ahn Byong-jin, a political scientist at Kyung Hee University in Seoul, suggested that the indictment would further damage the reliability of American diplomacy abroad, while revealing the deep flaws of Mr. Trump as a leader.

He said Mr. Trump’s indictment presented the United States with a challenge: how to restore respectability to its political system while preventing a cycle of past presidents facing criminal charges under new presidents amid outcries of political revenge — a pattern that has bedeviled countries like South Korea.

“This will be a barometer moment for the Americans: whether they will decline to become a political Third World nation, or will re-establish themselves as a liberal democracy,” he said.

Back
Top Bottom