• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged So what's next for Trump?

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
A lawyer from Palm Beach County has filed one of the first legal challenges to disqualify Donald Trump from the 2024 presidential race under a clause in the U.S. Constitution's 14th Amendment.

Boynton Beach tax attorney Lawrence Caplan filed the challenge in federal court in the Southern District of Florida citing the amendment's "disqualification clause" for those who engage in insurrections and rebellion against the United States. The amendment was ratified in 1868 after the Civil War, during Reconstruction, and also addressed the citizenship status of freed slaves and the re-integration of the defeated Confederate states back into the Union.

Applying the 14th Amendment's disqualification rule to Trump has been a rising talking point this month. Legal scholars, including from conservative corners, have advocated for it. And state elections officials have conceded they are having discussions about how they would respond if a challenge is lodged.

That doesn't prove dishonest behavior on the part of the lawyer. That could just be that His Flatulence won't pay the bills of someone who flips.
Uh, they flip after they get rid of their trumpy lawyers.
Or they get new lawyers because they know they'll lose theirs if they flip.

With Idalia barrelling down on Florida, I can't help but think of the most pathetic thing a US president has *ever* done. Does Trump have his Sharpie out this time?

With Idalia barrelling down on Florida, I can't help but think of the most pathetic thing a US president has *ever* done. Does Trump have his Sharpie out this time?
That guy is such a moron. I probably won’t live a whole lot longer than the Donald if we both go to near ‘expectancy’, but however brief the interval I hope someone compiles and provides context as needed for the best of Teh Stoopid, in a short documentary. Maybe an hour and a half, The Dumbest 200 Clorox Moments. Then you could do 8-10 sequels- “201st - 400th Dumbest Clorox Moments” etc.

Former President Donald Trump has been called to sit for a deposition in September as part of his lawsuit against his former attorney Michael Cohen.

Mr Trump is seeking $500m from his former fixer. According to NBC News, a Monday filing shows Cohen’s attorneys scheduled the deposition for 6 September at a Miami law office.

“Mr Trump has put at issue significant matters relating to at least one of his pending criminal indictments,” Mr Cohen’s attorneys, Ben Brodsky and Danya Perry, said in a statement to The Independent. “He will have to answer under oath, among other things, exactly what happened with the payments to Stephanie Clifford. Or he can assert his Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination. Either way, his testimony will strip the lie as to his claims against Mr Cohen.”

The Independent has reached out to an attorney for Mr Trump for comment.

Mr Trump’s complaint had argued that his client has “suffered vast reputational harm as a direct result of Defendant’s breaches,” and suggested that Cohen took part in other misconduct that violated New York’s Rules of Professional Conduct.

Former President Donald Trump has been called to sit for a deposition in September as part of his lawsuit against his former attorney Michael Cohen.
Mr Trump is seeking $500m from his former fixer. According to NBC News, a Monday filing shows Cohen’s attorneys scheduled the deposition for 6 September at a Miami law office.

“Mr Trump has put at issue significant matters relating to at least one of his pending criminal indictments,” Mr Cohen’s attorneys, Ben Brodsky and Danya Perry, said in a statement to The Independent. “He will have to answer under oath, among other things, exactly what happened with the payments to Stephanie Clifford. Or he can assert his Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination. Either way, his testimony will strip the lie as to his claims against Mr Cohen.”

Mr Trump’s complaint had argued that his client has “suffered vast reputational harm as a direct result of Defendant’s breaches,” and suggested that Cohen took part in other misconduct that violated New York’s Rules of Professional Conduct.
You would think Trump would have learned his lesson about depositions.

"Trump" and "learn" in the same sentence? I don't think so. Same goes for the army of orange idiots who send him money, literally send their money to a billionaire. I don't think "to learn" is operating here.

I think it's hilarious that people can sue each other for breaching a professional code of conduct while engaging in criminal activity. If Trump wins his suit, then future criminals will have a new way to keep their minions from ratting them out to the authorities.

You're talking about Miranda Rights
I don't recall ever meeting her. Is she licenced to practice law in Florida?
Trump's been reduced to hiring Mandy Leftovers--a step up from the lawyers Rudy Rance Idshowboater & Rancy D. Kraken he had working for him when he was trying to steal the election, not to mention such non-legal adjuncts as Gene Nose-Bunnion and Ginny (Blossom) Thomas.

Maybe they didn't confiscate his passport hoping that he might do something that stupid. It would save everybody a lot of trouble if he self destructed that way.

Ha ha ha!
Totally this^^^^

Trump is no flight risk because he couldn't live without his MAGA fans. Personally, I'd love it he fled the country!
Tom
Most of his maga fans would stick with him. There's nothing so romantic to the devoted followers as a high-profile political exile.

Maybe they didn't confiscate his passport hoping that he might do something that stupid. It would save everybody a lot of trouble if he self destructed that way.

Ha ha ha!
Totally this^^^^

Trump is no flight risk because he couldn't live without his MAGA fans. Personally, I'd love it he fled the country!
Tom
John Kelly, his former Chief of Staff and one of Trump's "very best people" from the early days of his administration told the Washington Post that his former boss is "scared shitless."

“This is the way he compensates for that. He gives people the appearance he doesn’t care by doing this. For the first time in his life, it looks like he’s being held accountable. Up until this point in his life, it’s like, I’m not going to pay you, take me to court. He’s never been held accountable before.”

I mean yeah...thanks Captain Obvious. Or is it General Obvious? Anyway, at this point I'm wondering when Fragilego Mussolini is going to break. Everyone has their breaking point. I don't mean an epiphany where he finally realizes what he's done...that's just about impossible to imagine...but what he's going to do when he finally realizes that this is something he can't bullshit or bluster his way out of. By all accounts, he looked pretty subdued at his arraignment. I'm just hoping that he's on camera when he finally breaks down into a sobbing mess.
Sociopaths don't sob spontaneously, do they? Narcissists generally try to avoid presenting themselves as "a Mess".

Some Russian commentators sounded just like MAGA right-wing commentators,
Not different from "MAGA right-wing commentators sound just like Russian commentators."

Reagan has to be spinning in his grave.
Tom
Why?--Putin and his oligarchs are not Communists--they are what came after the wretchedness of Communism, and they came with the support of Reagan and Bush 1, and to a degree Clinton.
Why do Americans opposed to Trump attack the right-wing's hard-on for Putin's Russia as if Putin's Russia were synonymous with Communist Russia, as if they thought American right wingers either wouldn't know the difference or would be equally horrified by "Russia", "Russia", "Russia" in any tyrannical incarnation?

Not different from "MAGA right-wing commentators sound just like Russian commentators."

Tom
I'm old enough to remember the Cold War, and I agree on being baffled by this huge shift.

Especially since Vladimir Putin and his supporters talk about the fall of the Soviet Union as a great geopolitical catastrophe, as if it is something that ought to be undone.
I think they talk about the fall of the Russian empire--an older concept than its highly expansive manifestation in USSR's communist bloc.

Ha ha ha!
Totally this^^^^

Tom
Most of his maga fans would stick with him. There's nothing so romantic to the devoted followers as a high-profile political exile.

It gets better and better!
If everyone who wants to follow Trump to Russia or wherever did so...
I'd like my neighborhood a good bit better.

Whee...
Tom

American RW extremists love Putin’s fascist Russia. And it’s mutual.
Reagan, for all his stupidity, wasn’t intentionally fascist.

A lawyer from Palm Beach County has filed one of the first legal challenges to disqualify Donald Trump from the 2024 presidential race under a clause in the U.S. Constitution's 14th Amendment.

Boynton Beach tax attorney Lawrence Caplan filed the challenge in federal court in the Southern District of Florida citing the amendment's "disqualification clause" for those who engage in insurrections and rebellion against the United States. The amendment was ratified in 1868 after the Civil War, during Reconstruction, and also addressed the citizenship status of freed slaves and the re-integration of the defeated Confederate states back into the Union.

Applying the 14th Amendment's disqualification rule to Trump has been a rising talking point this month. Legal scholars, including from conservative corners, have advocated for it. And state elections officials have conceded they are having discussions about how they would respond if a challenge
Of course conservatives like the idea - that albatross is starting to chafe their collective neck to the point of life-threatening bleeding. Disqualifying him would probably give them a chance to elect another one of their scumbags in ‘24.
Worst case from their perspective, a bunch of hardcore trumpsuckers write him in. But I think - and I think they think - that the gains from his disqualification would far outweigh the losses.

Ha ha ha!
Totally this^^^^

Tom

It gets better and better!
If everyone who wants to follow Trump to Russia or wherever did so...
I'd like my neighborhood a good bit better.

Whee...
Tom
Wouldn’t it be funny if someone started spreading rumors about how Trump was going to escape to… SomePlace… and they all rushed to buy property there to live together in paradise? Maybe Alabama?

Tom
Why?--Putin and his oligarchs are not Communists--they are what came after the wretchedness of Communism, and they came with the support of Reagan and Bush 1, and to a degree Clinton.
Why do Americans opposed to Trump attack the right-wing's hard-on for Putin's Russia as if Putin's Russia were synonymous with Communist Russia, as if they thought American right wingers either wouldn't know the difference or would be equally horrified by "Russia", "Russia", "Russia" in any tyrannical incarnation?

Technically, Putin is a holdover from the wretchedness of Communism. I don't know if he kept his party membership card.

Back
Top Bottom