• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

So when does it stop being 'PC' and start being 'Common Decency'

Europe is a continent that comprises the westernmost part of Eurasia. Europe is bordered by the Arctic Ocean to the north, the Atlantic Ocean to the west, and the Mediterranean Sea to the south. To the east and southeast, Europe is generally considered as separated from Asia by the watershed divides of the Ural and Caucasus Mountains, the Ural River, the Caspian and Black Seas, and the waterways of the Turkish Straits.[4]

See bold.

Eurasia is a continent. Europe is a racist excuse for not wanting to be associated with the rest of the landmass.

Europe is quite well defined these days. Again, google can help.

Europe is a continent that comprises the westernmost part of Eurasia. Europe is bordered by the Arctic Ocean to the north, the Atlantic Ocean to the west, and the Mediterranean Sea to the south. To the east and southeast, Europe is generally considered as separated from Asia by the watershed divides of the Ural and Caucasus Mountains, the Ural River, the Caspian and Black Seas, and the waterways of the Turkish Straits.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe

Unless they changed the definition of what a 'continent' is, then no, Europe is not a continent.

Technically a continent is whatever we say it is. Let me introduce you once again to the wonders one may learn with the google:

A continent is one of several very large landmasses on Earth. Generally identified by convention rather than any strict criteria, up to seven regions are commonly regarded as continents. Ordered from largest in size to smallest, they are: Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

What the fuck are you talking about?????

Is this yet another case where when your assertions are are shown to be full of shit you begin throwing out anything you can think of to distract from your original point?
You are confused. Your claim "The Middle East is in Asia so Middle Easterners (as we call them in the US) are correctly called Asians by Europeans." is false. You agreed that term "the Middle East" may refer to the geographic Middle East or the political Middle East (which includes Egypt which is part of Africa, and parts of southeastern Europe). Which means that the nebulous term "the Middle East" cannot automatically be taken to refer to only Asians.

To communicate in terms you seem to understand, you are literally full of shit on this matter.

You really need to learn to read for comprehension.

I'm barely able to follow anything being thrown around in this thread. Brits don't call people from the Middle East 'Asians' - it's used for Pakistani, Indian, and East Asian people.

And Egypt is in the African continent, both as a matter of convention (the 7 continents) and from the perspective of tectonic plates.

You are confused. Your claim "The Middle East is in Asia so Middle Easterners (as we call them in the US) are correctly called Asians by Europeans." is false. You agreed that term "the Middle East" may refer to the geographic Middle East or the political Middle East (which includes Egypt which is part of Africa, and parts of southeastern Europe). Which means that the nebulous term "the Middle East" cannot automatically be taken to refer to only Asians.

To communicate in terms you seem to understand, you are literally full of shit on this matter.

You really need to learn to read for comprehension.
You are now embarrassing yourself.

Unless they changed the definition of what a 'continent' is, then no, Europe is not a continent.

Technically a continent is whatever we say it is. Let me introduce you once again to the wonders one may learn with the google:

A continent is one of several very large landmasses on Earth. Generally identified by convention rather than any strict criteria, up to seven regions are commonly regarded as continents. Ordered from largest in size to smallest, they are: Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.[1]

So if there's no strict criteria, then what grounds do you have to rebut my contention that Europe is not a separate continent besides "Nu uh"? You just legitimized my argument without even realizing it.

Eurasia is a continent. Europe is a racist excuse for not wanting to be associated with the rest of the landmass.

It seems like a blatant act of racism on your part to blatantly pretend Africa is not part of the great landmass of Afro-Eurasia.

I already addressed this. It is or isn't depending on wether or not man-made breaks in the landmass count. I don't believe there is any consensus on that matter.

So if there's no strict criteria, then what grounds do you have to rebut my contention that Europe is not a separate continent besides "Nu uh"? You just legitimized my argument without even realizing it.

Hmmm, my version of what I posted says we determine what is and isn't a continent by convention, and that Europe is one of the continents we have determined by convention.

If yours says "nu uh" I think the problem is with your browser.

Hmmm, my version of what I posted says we determine what is and isn't a continent by convention, and that Europe is one of the continents we have determined by convention.

The thing about convention is it can be challenged. So I ask again, what do you have to rebut my contention besides "Nuh uh"?

It seems like a blatant act of racism on your part to blatantly pretend Africa is not part of the great landmass of Afro-Eurasia.

I already addressed this. It is or isn't depending on wether or not man-made breaks in the landmass count. I don't believe there is any consensus on that matter.

Why are you straining so hard to keep Africas out of Afro-Eurasia? Racism?

- - - Updated - - -

The thing about convention is it can be challenged. So I ask again, what do you have to rebut my contention besides "Nuh uh"?

You mean besides the sources like dictionaries and wikipedia that definitively prove you wrong that I have already linked?

That depends on what you mean by "we". In America, we means "all of us", and since LordKiran does not agree, it cannot be said that "we" made this determination. I understand that in the UK, where they have Royalty, they tend to use the Royal "we", meaning "I". In the case of your using the Royal "we", it seems that you are under the delusion that you are, in fact, Wikipedia.

Actually the Trumpsters loved being called deplorable. They adopted the name and wore t-shirts emblazoned with it proudly proclaiming themselves as "the deplorables".

Yes, they reveled in Hillary being politically incorrect, while lambasting her for political correctness... true to Trump form, contradicting themselves.
I think you misunderstood why they loved it. People love to point out hypocrisy and much of Clinton's campaign was attacking Trump and his supporters for being politically incorrect. Opposing PC was one of the draws so they embraced the term.
It was the opposite of what the PC crowd do. They insist that any word they find offensive to never be uttered or written.

Buncha slopes - that's all they are. :D

:slowclap:

A valiant try but you need more experience on selecting the appropriate slur. Try "snowflakes". ;)

Why are you straining so hard to keep Africas out of Afro-Eurasia? Racism?

Your false rhetorical inferences aside, there's no reason you couldn't break up Africa into similar ethnic or cultural regions, though my knowledge of the various peoples who live there is far too limited to make any kind of such declarations.

That depends on what you mean by "we". In America, we means "all of us", and since LordKiran does not agree, it cannot be said that "we" made this determination. I understand that in the UK, where they have Royalty, they tend to use the Royal "we", meaning "I". In the case of your using the Royal "we", it seems that you are under the delusion that you are, in fact, Wikipedia.

I support LordKiran's right to think whatever he wants is a continent, even it's colored by his racism. By "we" I mean only to include those of us who read the dictionary and such for the definitions of words as opposed to making them up ourselves.

So the question now becomes when is it being PC and when is it just not being a prick? Is there ever a given context where mocking someone for their physical differences is an acceptable part of public discourse? Does reprimanding people for mocking others for their physical differences automatically make you an SJW then? If so, then what is the alternative when faced with such language?

Well it should be. If someone is fat and they are said to be fat, people should not lose their shit over it, "OMG, they are not FAT !! They are "big boned"" or some such nonsense.

Would you be willing to say there is a difference between calling someone fat, and calling them fat after they asked you not to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl6TWGRcs6E

I support LordKiran's right to think whatever he wants is a continent, even it's colored by his racism. By "we" I mean only to include those of us who read the dictionary and such for the definitions of words as opposed to making them up ourselves.

Because all of those academic circles and independent nations who also do not acknowledge Europe existing as a separate continent are just plain wrong because they don't adhere to your conventions.

Also I don't understand where you get this idea of racism from since I have never once said anything to give you that impression.

Because all of those academic circles and independent nations who also do not acknowledge Europe existing as a separate continent are just plain wrong because they don't adhere to your conventions.

Also I don't understand where you get this idea of racism from since I have never once said anything to give you that impression.

You claimed to adhere to the idea that a continent is a landmass then strained to exclude Africa from Afro-Eurasia. Pretty clear why that would be.

Would you be willing to say there is a difference between calling someone fat, and calling them fat after they asked you not to?

Depends.

... only make you look fatter.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, they reveled in Hillary being politically incorrect, while lambasting her for political correctness... true to Trump form, contradicting themselves.
I think you misunderstood why they loved it. People love to point out hypocrisy and much of Clinton's campaign was attacking Trump and his supporters for being politically incorrect. Opposing PC was one of the draws so they embraced the term.
It was the opposite of what the PC crowd do. They insist that any word they find offensive to never be uttered or written.

Buncha slopes - that's all they are. :D

:slowclap:

A valiant try but you need more experience on selecting the appropriate slur. Try "snowflakes". ;)

You got something against crackers?

Back
Top Bottom