• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Special Counsel investigation of Trump part 2

Trump is fucked! I mean, this is the thing... if they don't charge him over this, why even bother having the law?
Well, we obviously need the law to prosecute the little people. It's been years since Trump stole classified documents, which he has openly admitted to on live, national television, but look how fast that gamer bro got whisked into the system for leaking classified info.

Trump is fucked! I mean, this is the thing... if they don't charge him over this, why even bother having the law?
Well, we obviously need the law to prosecute the little people. It's been years since Trump stole classified documents, which he has openly admitted to on live, national television, but look how fast that gamer bro got whisked into the system for leaking classified info.
Maybe there is a difference in that the harm done by blabber boy was already evident, whereas it took a while for DOJ to feel like they could prove harm done by Cheato’s obvious dishonesty and indiscretion.
And then there’s the fact that nobody ever heard of gamer guy.

Maybe there is a difference in that the harm done by blabber boy was already evident, whereas it took a while for DOJ to feel like they could prove harm done by Cheato’s obvious dishonesty and indiscretion.
And then there’s the fact that nobody ever heard of gamer guy.
Sure, that's likely correct, but it's not like they asked the gamer guy to return the classified documents, then waited patiently until he didn't, then issue a subpoena for the documents, then waited until he defied the subpoena, then finally get a warrant and find the documents in his house and then wait another ten months to finally charge him.

The evidence against Trump has actually been around quite a while. It just takes a lot more effort to take on a rich guy with a clown car full of unethical lawyers and sympathetic federal judges than some poor schmuck who can't defend himself.

GamerBoy broke the law bigly. The dumb ass illegally accessed the docs, illegally copied them, and illegally leaked that stuff to the public.

Trump broke the law in possessing the docs and hiding that he had them. There are no charges that Trump passed the docs around for others to read.

So there are some notable distinctions here. Much like how all the moving of docs, lying about docs, admitting about docs, etc... makes this completely different from the cases of Biden and Pence as well. They got him dead to rights on obstruction and conspiracy. And the problem with conspiracy is that it indicates you knew what you were doing was illegal.

Exclusive: Donald Trump admits on tape he didn’t declassify ‘secret information’

Former President Donald Trump acknowledged on tape in a 2021 meeting that he had retained “secret” military information that he had not declassified, according to a transcript of the audio recording obtained by CNN.

“As president, I could have declassified, but now I can’t,” Trump says, according to the transcript.

CNN obtained the transcript of a portion of the meeting where Trump is discussing a classified Pentagon document about attacking Iran. In the audio recording, which CNN previously reported was obtained by prosecutors, Trump says that he did not declassify the document he’s referencing, according to the transcript.

Trump broke the law in possessing the docs and hiding that he had them. There are no charges that Trump passed the docs around for others to read.

They didn't charge him with passing anything around, but the indictment does recount two times that he did so.

Adding up the various counts, the maximum penalty he is facing is four hundred years in prison.

Even if he only gets a tenth of that, he's unlikely to see daylight again at his age; Federal prison isn't going to be easy for a man in his state of general health.

I find it very unlikely Trump will see a single day in prison. I would like to see his assets get seized though; his temper tantrum would be epic.

Adding up the various counts, the maximum penalty he is facing is four hundred years in prison.

Even if he only gets a tenth of that, he's unlikely to see daylight again at his age; Federal prison isn't going to be easy for a man in his state of general health.

Sentencing though is where a friendly judge could especially make a difference.

I find it very unlikely Trump will see a single day in prison. I would like to see his assets get seized though; his temper tantrum would be epic.
I thought it was unlikely that he would be indicted.

Now that he has been, it seems difficult for him to avoid prison without completely trashing the entire legal system.

Of course, his pet Judge could well achieve exactly that, so we will have to wait and see.

They didn't charge him with passing anything around, but the indictment does recount two times that he did so.
Zackly. If it occurred outside FL, could there yet be another indictment on that charge?

Zackly. If it occurred outside FL, could there yet be another indictment on that charge?
According to the indictment, those offences occurred in New Jersey.

What did Martha Stewart get for lying to the FBI? The trouble we have here isn't that he had the docs. It was that he had them, knew the Government wanted them back, knew he shouldn't have them, and repeatedly conspired to commit acts to try to maintain them.

And then there is the whole issue of how he was storing them. Criminal level of negligence with some number of very sensitive docs. It is stuff like this that should lead one to being disqualified from having access to them... and if you can't be trusted with these docs, you can't be President. I mean, when a judge says that lawyer-client privilege is revoked... said client probably can't be allowed to be a President.

Pondering if the term "double jeopardy" is going to become a household term. if charges are filed in Federal Courts in addition to Florida. It could be for different charges, but I've got to imagine, it will be raised.

Pondering if the term "double jeopardy" is going to become a household term. if charges are filed in Federal Courts in addition to Florida. It could be for different charges, but I've got to imagine, it will be raised.
They do all the charges in the court in the district where most of the criming occurred.

So the only way I can process this right now is to relate it to my work.

At my job, one of the most stressful things I can hear is the robotic voice from the computer that says "escalation incoming."

That means that something has gone terribly wrong, and the person a level below me has "noped" out of the situation, and it's up to me to try and fix what caused them to smash the "escalate" button.
What in the world do you do?!

I certainly can understand a problem being kicked up the tree, but an "escalate" button and a robotic voice to announce it?!?!

Back
Top Bottom