• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Special Counsel investigation of Trump part 2

So the only way I can process this right now is to relate it to my work.

At my job, one of the most stressful things I can hear is the robotic voice from the computer that says "escalation incoming."

That means that something has gone terribly wrong, and the person a level below me has "noped" out of the situation, and it's up to me to try and fix what caused them to smash the "escalate" button.
What in the world do you do?!

I certainly can understand a problem being kicked up the tree, but an "escalate" button and a robotic voice to announce it?!?!

It's hard to explain. My current job didn't even exist 2 years ago, and I have some constraints on what I can say (even anonymously on a small forum), but...

Imagine you're sitting in this self-driving taxi, going from point A to point B. Somewhere along the way, there's an obstacle that the car can't navigate on it's own. A water main break that shuts down a street. It needs a little help to reroute around the problem. That's easy. Now let's say that while your ride is waiting for one of our advisors to figure out a way around the blockage, a person outside the car (possibly under the influence of a substance or whatever) decides to "strike a blow against our robot overlords" and attempts to impede or even attack the vehicle. At that point, the person trying to reroute around the road closure says "oh shit, this is above my pay grade," presses the "escalate" button and it comes to me.

I go from there. If need be, I loop in people above MY pay grade (this happened in spades today) and we try to develop mitigation strategies for future incidents. Or ways to avoid such incidents altogether. I work with product design, incident response, crisis management, and field service teams on the regular to improve our processes. The amount of progress we've made in just the past year is incredible.

The folks around Trump seem to be a never-ending cavalcade of "oh shit, this is above my pay grade" people all the way up the food chain. Stupid Watergate undersells this by a long shot.

I find it very unlikely Trump will see a single day in prison. I would like to see his assets get seized though; his temper tantrum would be epic.
I thought it was unlikely that he would be indicted.

Now that he has been, it seems difficult for him to avoid prison without completely trashing the entire legal system.

Of course, his pet Judge could well achieve exactly that, so we will have to wait and see.
Keel over with a stroke when he's convicted.

Do you think it’s possible that Jack Smith will negotiate with the Manhattan DA to allow the documents case to go to trial first?

Mulroy suspects that an intelligence and security review may be conducted alongside the criminal proceedings to discover “any potential damage that may have been done to our national security.”
I would like to think this has already been done just as soon as they discovered what this asshole had in his possession. They have to assume the information is compromised. Mar-a-Lago must have been crawling with foreign agents. Probably half the maintenance staff were Chinese women passing themselves off as Honduran. The jury can't know, doesn't need to know the contents of the documents, just their classification is enough but I hope the prosecution has technical experts to inform the jury, in general terms, just how much damage Trump has done.

Trump broke the law in possessing the docs and hiding that he had them. There are no charges that Trump passed the docs around for others to read.

They didn't charge him with passing anything around, but the indictment does recount two times that he did so.
Zackly. If it occurred outside FL, could there yet be another indictment on that charge?
According to the indictment, those offences occurred in New Jersey.
Pondering if the term "double jeopardy" is going to become a household term. if charges are filed in Federal Courts in addition to Florida. It could be for different charges, but I've got to imagine, it will be raised.
The charges in Florida are in Federal Court. There’s no “in addition to”, unless they indict for things he did in NJ. All of the charges related to the documents are Federal.

Meanwhile, Kevie McCarthy and Jim Jordan are vowing to "investigate" the AG, and many MAGATs on line are calling for violence. And GOP clowns now want to defund the FBI. Meanwhile Trump is still facing problems over January 6 and attempts in Georgia to steal the election. I wonder how this will all shake out by election day 2024? Will America be weary of GOP lawlessness and witch hunting?

Trump broke the law in possessing the docs and hiding that he had them. There are no charges that Trump passed the docs around for others to read.

They didn't charge him with passing anything around, but the indictment does recount two times that he did so.
Zackly. If it occurred outside FL, could there yet be another indictment on that charge?
According to the indictment, those offences occurred in New Jersey.
Pondering if the term "double jeopardy" is going to become a household term. if charges are filed in Federal Courts in addition to Florida. It could be for different charges, but I've got to imagine, it will be raised.
The charges in Florida are in Federal Court. There’s no “in addition to”, unless they indict for things he did in NJ. All of the charges related to the documents are Federal.
I understand. But Federal Courts have the same limitations. The question would be how fine cut the charges are regarding similar actions.

I'm not saying it is dj, but that it'll be raised if charges are brought in New Jersey.

I'm not saying it is dj, but that it'll be raised if charges are brought in New Jersey.
Not if the charges are for violating a different statute or for a separate act violating the same statute. Being charged with a murder doesn’t get you off the hook for another murder.

Reactions: jab
Meanwhile, Kevie McCarthy and Jim Jordan are vowing to "investigate" the AG, and many MAGATs on line are calling for violence. And GOP clowns now want to defund the FBI. Meanwhile Trump is still facing problems over January 6 and attempts in Georgia to steal the election. I wonder how this will all shake out by election day 2024? Will America be weary of GOP lawlessness and witch hunting?
I don't share your optimism.

I don't share your optimism.
It's too late to save us. "Idiocracy" is here!

Have you watched any of the interviews with the Trump cultists? Trump is raising money due to this inditement, as his cult will sacrifice for him. He's their savior. The asshole Republican hypocrites who are running against Trump are defending him. They, with the exception of good ole Chris Christie are terrified of Trump and his cult members.

Sadly, we don't even have laws in this country to prevent Trump from running the country from prison, as if that's where he will end up. Prison, I mean, not the WH. I'd be happy to declare him insane, put him in a fancy assisted living facility, tell him he's in the new WH, put a sign on his desk that says, "President Trump" and humor him. At least he'd be harmless and an example of how you can treat a delusional, mentally ill sociopath in the most therapeutic way. /s. ( well sort of sarcasm....it might work )

Well, of course, one can only hope. It's just that this grifter has been getting away with crimes, lies, misdeeds etc. since early adulthood. He's a malignant narcissist and a sociopath. I'm glad they are finally doing something about his crimes, but I'm not optimistic that justice will be served.

Not if the charges are for violating a different statute or for a separate act violating the same statute. Being charged with a murder doesn’t get you off the hook for another murder.
Its being utter nonsense isn't a safeguard against its being raised as a pseudo-defence by the usual suspects in the right wing media.

Its being utter nonsense isn't a safeguard against its being raised as a pseudo-defence by the usual suspects in the right wing media.
Absolutely. If it delays proceedings for one day, it’s worth investing (promising) a couple million in lawyer fees.

Do you think it’s possible that Jack Smith will negotiate with the Manhattan DA to allow the documents case to go to trial first?

The scheduling is up to the judges, and they will typically work with each other to avoid conflicts.

Cannon would probably be happy to delay her case. Trump's favorite strategy is to bslow walk the process.

Though I don't think it's certain yet that Cannon will be there for the trial.

You can all thank me. I read OANN so you don't have to.

The MAGAtards seem to have agreed on a counter narrative and wouldn't you know it, of course it involves Clinton in some way. Here is their argument so strap in;

Clinton recorded an interview with himself and historian Taylor Branch and kept the tapes in his sock drawer.

That's it.

Fuck off, you knew there wouldn't be anything extra to add before you clicked this the third time. I am not joking, that's their whole argument.

How the fuck can you parody that? I think the writers for John Oliver, Steven Colbert etc are currently thinking, "Thank fuck we're on strike 'cause that shit's just wild on its own! There is literally nothing we can add to that."

Here's a disturbing "gifted" article that I just read after waking up this morning.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/10/..._UHdPbbim2yo8TdIggbQYtFb2eAmTW&smid=url-share

The federal indictment of former President Donald J. Trump has unleashed a wave of calls by his supporters for violence and an uprising to defend him, disturbing observers and raising concerns of a dangerous atmosphere ahead of his court appearance in Miami on Tuesday.

In social media posts and public remarks, close allies of Mr. Trump — including a member of Congress — have portrayed the indictment as an act of war, called for retribution and highlighted the fact that much of his base carries weapons. The allies have painted Mr. Trump as a victim of a weaponized Justice Department controlled by President Biden, his potential opponent in the 2024 election.

The calls to action and threats have been amplified on right-wing media sites and have been met by supportive responses from social media users and cheers from crowds, who have become conditioned over several years by Mr. Trump and his allies to see any efforts to hold him accountable as assaults against him.

Experts on political violence warn that attacks against people or institutions become more likely when elected officials or prominent media figures are able to issue threats or calls for violence with impunity. The pro-Trump mob that attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, was drawn to Washington in part by a post on Twitter from Mr. Trump weeks earlier, promising that it would be “wild.”

In Georgia, at the Republican state convention, Kari Lake, who refused to concede the Arizona election for governor in 2022 and who is an ardent defender of Mr. Trump, emphasized that many of Mr. Trump’s supporters owned guns.

“I have a message tonight for Merrick Garland and Jack Smith and Joe Biden — and the guys back there in the fake news media, you should listen up as well, this one is for you,” Ms. Lake said. “If you want to get to President Trump, you are going to have go through me, and you are going to have to go through 75 million Americans just like me. And I’m going to tell you, most of us are card-carrying members of the N.R.A.”
How is that not a terrorist threat!

Or this:

On Pete Santilli’s talk show, the conservative provocateur declared that if he were the commandant of the Marine Corps, he would order “every single Marine” to grab President Biden, “throw him in freakin’ zip ties in the back of a freakin’ pickup truck,” and “get him out of the White House.”

One of his guests, Lance Migliaccio, said that if it were legal and he had access, he would “probably walk in and shoot” Gen. Mark A. Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and someone Mr. Trump has identified as one of his enemies.

• Wow
Reactions: jab
You can all thank me. I read OANN so you don't have to.

The MAGAtards seem to have agreed on a counter narrative and wouldn't you know it, of course it involves Clinton in some way. Here is their argument so strap in;

Clinton recorded an interview with himself and historian Taylor Branch and kept the tapes in his sock drawer.

That's it.

Fuck off, you knew there wouldn't be anything extra to add before you clicked this the third time. I am not joking, that's their whole argument.

How the fuck can you parody that? I think the writers for John Oliver, Steven Colbert etc are currently thinking, "Thank fuck we're on strike 'cause that shit's just wild on its own! There is literally nothing we can add to that."
Writers at The Onion have all resigned.

Back
Top Bottom