• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The death of Tyre Nichols

Yes, that was my question. I live in a city, I don't proclaim to be the holder of knowledge of all things that happen in that city. I figured most people felt that way,
Really?

You live in a city, or nearby, and wouldn't notice a street demonstration of people chanting "Death to cops"?

I don't know everything that happens in Indianapolis, but I'd know about that(if it ever happens).
Tom

We are specifically taking about police recruitment not "the problem"

To which problem are you referring?
What don't you understand about the bold-faced underlined above?
I'm trying to talk about the big picture problems.

One is poor quality police. But that's not happening in a vacuum.
Tom
Well, when someone is explictly referring to "A", it is reasonable for any reader to think that a response is referring to "A" not something else.

Yes, that was my question. I live in a city, I don't proclaim to be the holder of knowledge of all things that happen in that city. I figured most people felt that way,
Really?

You live in a city, or nearby, and wouldn't notice a street demonstration of people chanting "Death to cops"?

I don't know everything that happens in Indianapolis, but I'd know about that(if it ever happens).
Tom
I don't know what protesters were or were not shouting in demonstrations against police in Indianapolis but I do know that there have been a number of protests over the actions of police in recent years. Including this month.

The fact that many IIDB posters were talking about something other than Tyre Nichols.
Like the police.

That's kinda a problem. People talk about what they want to talk about, then dodge other issues. Or post snarky rhetoric and pretend that they've responded to a nuanced question.

It happens a lot on IIDB.
Tom

Really?

People must chant much louder in Indianapolis. Might be because of the speedway and people needing to speak louder?

So what did they chant at the demonstrations in Indianapolis? Or do you only have a list of things they didn't say?

The fact that many IIDB posters were talking about something other than Tyre Nichols.
Like the police.
You mean the police that killed Tyre Nichols?
That's kinda a problem. People talk about what they want to talk about, then dodge other issues. Or post snarky rhetoric and pretend that they've responded to a nuanced question.
Well, you've got the snarky responses down. That is about 86% of your posts, complaining about other people's posts. The remaining 14% is that people aren't complaining about the right things, like young black male violence.

Really?

People must chant much louder in Indianapolis. Might be because of the speedway and people needing to speak louder?

So what did they chant at the demonstrations in Indianapolis? Or do you only have a list of things they didn't say?

Bless Your Heart!
Tom

Like the police.

Tom
Yes, threads are often long, rambling conversations with lots of derails.

I’m not sure what it is about Tyre Nichols that isn’t being discussed. By every report I’ve seen, he appears to have been a talented young man with dreams and and a loving family and friends. He’s dead and those dreams will never be realized.

We are left with trying to figure out what lead to the police officers brutalizing him and causing his death.

This is not an isolated instance of police brutality resulting in the death of a young black man. Each instance is unique but also part of a pattern that is played out across the United States. There is no simple cause and solution. This is going to be a long conversation, a long series of conversations.

Really?

*snark snip*
No one is dodging anything here, other than you. You want people to recognize black on black violence in a thread about police murdering a person. When it is raised that we are aware of this issue and organizations exist to try and deal with it, you want to blame poor police staffing on some alleged chants at some random march impacting national police hiring standards. When that is shown to be inconclusive, you drop down to the LCD and complain about snark, which didn't kill anyone.

Like the police.

Tom
Yes, threads are often long, rambling conversations with lots of derails.

I’m not sure what it is about Tyre Nichols that isn’t being discussed. By every report I’ve seen, he appears to have been a talented young man with dreams and and a loving family and friends. He’s dead and those dreams will never be realized.

We are left with trying to figure out what lead to the police officers brutalizing him and causing his death.

This is not an isolated instance of police brutality resulting in the death of a young black man. Each instance is unique but also part of a pattern that is played out across the United States. There is no simple cause and solution. This is going to be a long conversation, a long series of conversations.
And it has become a Hillary Clinton email like response to these killings... "... but what about #BLM."

You mean the black guys who committed a murder?

Let's not talk about that, it wouldn't be politically correct.
Tom

The same black police officers that nobody is protesting across America? I'm a little surprised you went with the "black officers" and not the usual "where's the outrage?" play card. I suppose that card was more useful for whatever it is you were trying to say.

No one is dodging anything here, other than you.
Some black guys killed a black guy in Memphis.

Let's talk about black culture and violence.
Oh wait, that's not politically correct. Not Woke. Let's keep talking about cops.

Yeah. You Wokesters are dodging and squirming. Because when black guys kill other black guys talking about race stops being expedient.
Gotta find another, more politically correct, oppressor.
Tom

The same black police officers that nobody is protesting across America? I'm a little surprised you went with the "black officers"
Seriously?

Where the cops black?

I'm not as racist as most politically correct people are.

I'm not saying I'm not racist at all. I am, and I know it. One important distinction between me and the Wokesters is that I do know that. So I don't assume that every opinion I have is ideologically pure. I need to be careful.

But that's just me.
Tom

IT's all a game to some people. Just a bunch of talking points.

No one is dodging anything here, other than you.
Some black guys killed a black guy in Memphis.

Let's talk about black culture and violence.
Oh wait, that's not politically correct. Not Woke. Let's keep talking about cops.

Yeah. You Wokesters are dodging and squirming. Because when black guys kill other black guys talking about race stops being expedient.
Gotta find another, more politically correct, oppressor.
Tom
Really. That's your take in this?

It's just more black on black killing? There is absolutely zero relevance to the fact that police officers pulled over a young man for a minor traffic violation and then brutally beat and stomped him to death?

What you want to talk about is why black people are killing black people.

Fine. But let's also talk about why white people are killing white people. Because that happens a lot more often.

You mean the black guys who committed a murder?

Let's not talk about that, it wouldn't be politically correct.
Tom
I don't think that is your actual beef. I think you aren't happy with people not agreeing with you.

We are not talking about black people killing another black person.

We are talking about police killing another person. Who was unarmed. Who had no criminal history. Over a minor traffic violation.
The victim happened to be black.

In this case, so were the officers.

Back
Top Bottom