• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The incel issue

All this talk of “levels” (above your level, below your level) reminds me of Huxley’s novel Brave New World. The novel takes place in the future where all babies are test tube babies and from birth are “trained” through aversion therapy and other behavioral techniques to be attracted to different occupations and intelligence levels. (The novel was written before DNA was discovered and genetic engineering became possible.)

“Alphas” were the smartest and most attractive, followed by Betas, Gammas, Deltas and Epsilons. The latter were fit for picking up trash in the streets and not too much else.

It was frowned upon and gossiped about when an Alpha dated a Beta.

But seriously, I echo the observation that there are many factors that bring two individuals together besides purely looks. On the negative side, as an alcoholic I attracted many women who came from alcoholic families and my behavior seemed familiar to them. Some were quite good looking. On a more positive note, once I sobered up I was fortunate enough to meet a woman who told me “Some of the finest men I have ever known were recovered alcoholics.” We’ve been married 29 years now. I try to live up to her expectations.

I am a knuckle dragging cave dwelling Neanderthal. And proud of it.

We pick mates by dragging women into the cave by the hair.

It makes life simpler for everybody. Learning social skills and dating rituals are not required.
Good old-fashioned courtship had its virtues.

There is a fly in that ointment, though. Modernism. .

Good caves are hard to find anymore, most already having been taken. What's more, I haven't seen a wooly mammoth or a saber-toothed cat around here since I was a young lad.

When I was younger, I was a bit MRA-ish. Heck, MRAs are right about some, very specific and very rare things.

I think the biggest tragedy of Inceldom is that it has captured a large number of self-closeted gays. I could care less about the quantity of gay men in the world but the toxic worldview of Inceldom does harm not only the gay "incels", but women, and men, and even eunuchs and stranger things still. It's a spider's web made of ideas to catch and consume minds, and do what any entity that survives must seek: to exist.

And I will, indeed, fault inceldom for merely existing.

I'm not a pacifist, for all that I loath violence.

Maybe there is a variety of Inceldom that does not step on rights, but as Nazis are to Jews, Inceldom seems to Women/eunuchs/* and fairly hostile even towards most men.

Demanding as a man that someone who looks some specific way pay attention to you and accusing them of being wrong for doing anything they want within consent, can fuck off.

There are women who have very smooth curves, looking bodies who are very kind and thoughtful people who live their best life as prostitutes, and it doesn't matter what you look like, these people often make the majority of their money just talking to people.

Not even these women will generally want to take money from someone who will spend all their time talking about how none of the women they want to love them will love someone who spends all their time talking about how those women are impure and objectifying them behind their back. The women who want you to objectify them generally want that after the conversation about safe words and context and an assumption of role.

Incels, rather, suffer from a lack of education and/or interest in consent.

People can decide to say words in their heads to themselves. Well, most of us can. Some of us need to do things like writing things down on a note pad or even a forum post in the middle of the afternoon for them to really come around. Sometimes it has to be heard from the sound of your voice. You can talk to yourself all sorts of ways, but you can talk to yourself. Some people can talk to themselves in ways far more information-dense than spoken language, though that's more a thing largely discussed in spiritual terms.

These men need to talk to themselves and say the words in whatever language "everyone can and should make their own decisions about who to spend their time with and that's their right. I should accept the way people want to spend time with me and understand what it means to be a friend rather than a lover."

If possible, they need to mix it with whatever way of speaking to themselves might induct the emotional verbs "acceptance", "humility", and "shame" into the mix at particular levels.

It would be nice if BOTH men and women would be less shallow. Then again I'm shallow in a way too: I love novelty. Honestly it turns me on a bit. Outliers are just the most interesting. How did they get like this? What is the scientific mechanism? And who is it inside; what is the nature of the the diffuse existence of a weighted graph structure dancing around as a construction of meat? What became of that glorious mess?

What do they believe and what can they? Can they dare to not believe something they once did? Can they dare to understand something rather than counting on believing it?

How far can I open up new paths for people?

How far can I help someone along on their own path?

But these incels don't think that way. In some ways, I guess, it's kind of nice that the gays don't have to claim them. Honestly, I pity them. They lack critical thinking skills, and perhaps they largely lack that power to inject emotional inflection at the rest of themselves and frankly I don't think it's worth it for someone who can't make themselves admit that they're people, women are people, men are people, and all are people before any of those other things.

Or probably people. Usually I give the benefit of the doubt, but with Incels it's kinda hard to tell.

There seems to be attitude about incels in this thread that incels are just making excuses, aren't trying hard enough, can't handle a little rejection, lack confidence, etc. and if they would just quit whining and put their mind to it, they could find someone. As a woman yourself, what would suggest as a remedy for this person to free herself from the incel pity party?
Yup--those who have it easy can't comprehend that it's not easy for everyone.
It's all kinda weird when you think about it. Take the example in the earlier video about the short guys. When asked what it would take for the women to consider the short guys, one woman said she might consider them if the taller men were murderers and the other women laughed and agreed. On the other hand, suppose instead of short guys, it was black guys and they went through the same sort of rejection and ridicule from the women as the short guys received, just because of their skin color. I'm sure there would be outrage here (and rightfully so) about that situation, but with the short guys the attitude is basically "<shrug> too bad...just try harder ". Height and skin color are both immutable physical characteristics, so how/why would the attitude be so completely opposite?
Also, looks. Pretty much immutable.

From reporting there are yiong people who are so used to electronic communication they are unable to socialize face to face.

I saw it when email became common. Instead of walking 10 feet to somebody's office you sent an email. Enmail became a sorce of conflict, misreading and misinterpreting and getting pissed. Without the tone of vice and body language intentt gets lost.

As kids we are supposed to learn relationships from being around adults. As the saying goes, we have kids raising kids.

If you are in your 20s and don't undesnd how to have realtionship with oppoite sex or same sex these days you are in trouble. You are supposed to learn it growing up.

That kids are not learng sociall skills is evidbce by the rising mental health issues from kids to 20 somethings. Feeling alienated.

It makes life simpler for everybody. Learning social skills and dating rituals are not required.
The problem with this technique is sooner or later you will be asleep and she will not be.

The problem with this technique is sooner or later you will be asleep and she will not be.
Plus I have been known to get pretty damn physical with any one who laid an unwelcome hand anywhere on my person. They were always wide awake. Unfortunately for them, I was too.

I always won.

Always.

From reporting there are yiong people who are so used to electronic communication they are unable to socialize face to face.

I saw it when email became common. Instead of walking 10 feet to somebody's office you sent an email. Enmail became a sorce of conflict, misreading and misinterpreting and getting pissed. Without the tone of vice and body language intentt gets lost.

As kids we are supposed to learn relationships from being around adults. As the saying goes, we have kids raising kids.

If you are in your 20s and don't undesnd how to have realtionship with oppoite sex or same sex these days you are in trouble. You are supposed to learn it growing up.

That kids are not learng sociall skills is evidbce by the rising mental health issues from kids to 20 somethings. Feeling alienated.
From having a daughter, even one that has issues making and keeping friends due to her impulse issues, almost none of the above is accurate. Social media is a problem for children, but for different reasons.

All this talk of “levels” (above your level, below your level) reminds me of Huxley’s novel Brave New World. The novel takes place in the future where all babies are test tube babies and from birth are “trained” through aversion therapy and other behavioral techniques to be attracted to different occupations and intelligence levels. (The novel was written before DNA was discovered and genetic engineering became possible.)

“Alphas” were the smartest and most attractive, followed by Betas, Gammas, Deltas and Epsilons. The latter were fit for picking up trash in the streets and not too much else.

It was frowned upon and gossiped about when an Alpha dated a Beta.

But seriously, I echo the observation that there are many factors that bring two individuals together besides purely looks. On the negative side, as an alcoholic I attracted many women who came from alcoholic families and my behavior seemed familiar to them. Some were quite good looking. On a more positive note, once I sobered up I was fortunate enough to meet a woman who told me “Some of the finest men I have ever known were recovered alcoholics.” We’ve been married 29 years now. I try to live up to her expectations.
You have a point: sometimes people are attracted to familiar dysfunction. Offspring of addicts are often attracted to those with addictions. Someone who grew up with a parent with a bad temper might be drawn to someone who is similarly explosive. Or they unconsciously look for what they were missing.

These incels or whatever need to be careful with what they desire.
But the incel movement isn't about desire, it is about a sense of entitlement so strong it becomes rageful.
And anger at what they think they are missing in life. I would hazard a guess that the Venn Diagram would show a lot of overlap between incense and Trump supporters who feel as though they are left behind all the good things that they imagine everyone else but them is unfairly enjoying.

But the incel movement isn't about desire, it is about a sense of entitlement so strong it becomes rageful.
And anger at what they think they are missing in life. I would hazard a guess that the Venn Diagram would show a lot of overlap between incense and Trump supporters who feel as though they are left behind all the good things that they imagine everyone else but them is unfairly enjoying.
I think the pathos varies quite a bit, but leads to similar baseless presumptions about those they hate.

Those marching on 1/6 were often white collar. They think that people and their condition are their own fault. They look at their own hard work / success and just assume that if you haven't succeeded like them, then you aren't even trying.

Meanwhile, incels never look into themselves as possibly being part of the problem, they just assume others are the reason why they are not in demand.

I think the pathos varies quite a bit, but leads to similar baseless presumptions about those they hate.

Those marching on 1/6 were often white collar. They think that people and their condition are their own fault. They look at their own hard work / success and just assume that if you haven't succeeded like them, then you aren't even trying.

Meanwhile, incels never look into themselves as possibly being part of the problem, they just assume others are the reason why they are not in demand.
I guess I don't equate white collar with success but seriously, those guys thought they were winners in life????

Wow.

I guess I don't equate white collar with success but seriously, those guys thought they were winners in life????

Wow.
They equate success with hard work. No success, then you didn't work hard. The math is pretty crappy, but that is the math one needs to idolize a business failure fucking twice (W then Trump).

Wow.
Well, up to that day, most of them were doing pretty good. Not everyone can take time off work to attend a wild time in Washington DC. When you look at the people charged with illegally entering the Capitol, most did not have a criminal record. There were a lot of small business owners and the comfortably retired. It just goes to show that karma is patient, but relentless.

As for incels, the color of their collar depends mostly on whether his mother is still doing his laundry.

Would the incel movement even exist without Jordan Peterson? He channeled their frustrations so he could profit off of them. Which President does that remind you of?

The e-mail doesn't disrupt the person you're sending it to. As such, for things that don't need discussion it's likely superior.

There seems to be attitude about incels in this thread that incels are just making excuses, aren't trying hard enough, can't handle a little rejection, lack confidence, etc. and if they would just quit whining and put their mind to it, they could find someone. As a woman yourself, what would suggest as a remedy for this person to free herself from the incel pity party?
It's all kinda weird when you think about it. Take the example in the earlier video about the short guys. When asked what it would take for the women to consider the short guys, one woman said she might consider them if the taller men were murderers and the other women laughed and agreed. On the other hand, suppose instead of short guys, it was black guys and they went through the same sort of rejection and ridicule from the women as the short guys received, just because of their skin color. I'm sure there would be outrage here (and rightfully so) about that situation, but with the short guys the attitude is basically "<shrug> too bad...just try harder ". Height and skin color are both immutable physical characteristics, so how/why would the attitude be so completely opposite?

You're misrepresenting the views expressed in this thread. Nobody is shunning people who have trouble finding a partner. But there's not really a polite and inoffensive way to say - 'if you want a romantic partner, that's your problem to solve'. We all get that some people have a harder time, and have sympathy for them, but that doesn't make the reality for these people any different than those who don't have a hard time.

Race is an entirely different scenario, but I won't bother getting into it.

You're misrepresenting the views expressed in this thread. Nobody is shunning people who have trouble finding a partner. But there's not really a polite and inoffensive way to say - 'if you want a romantic partner, that's your problem to solve'. We all get that some people have a harder time, and have sympathy for them, but that doesn't make the reality for these people any different than those who don't have a hard time.

And what you're missing is that for those at the lower end of the attractiveness scale it can be a barrier many are unable to overcome.

And what you're missing is that for those at the lower end of the attractiveness scale it can be a barrier many are unable to overcome.

That's not something I've commented on in this thread. I know that for some the barrier can be very high, even impossible, but the reality that 'finding a partner is an individual problem' is still true for them. You're replying to an argument I never made.

If you want to talk about people who are locked out of the dating pool, that's fine, it just doesn't have much to do with anything I've said in this thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom