• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump have laid out starkly contrasting blueprints for the U.S. economy as they vie for a second term in November.

Trump has said he would seek to extend and expand his 2017 tax cuts, severely restrict illegal immigration while deporting millions of foreign-born residents, impose tariffs on all U.S. imports, and roll back much of Biden’s initiatives to transition the nation to clean energy.

Biden would extend some of the Trump tax cuts − but not for wealthy individuals and corporations – establish more targeted tariffs on Chinese imports and toughen immigration constraints but not nearly as dramatically as Trump.

He also would push a lengthy wish list of social service programs that would make child care more affordable, provide free college tuition, cancel more student loan debt and lower drug prices, among other proposals. But analysts say they’re unlikely to pass a divided Congress.
Which is why we need to vote Blue.

It's kind of silly to be focused on this event. It looks to me like its ambiguous as to whether he's wandering off or just checking out the skydiver. There are better, non-ambiguous examples of Biden not being all there. Like his reading out loud of teleprompter cues ("Pause", "End of Message", etc). Or forgetting cabinet member names (e.g. his DHS secretary most recently), getting names wrong, calling out dead people, forgetting where he is, mixing up countries, calling Kamala "President", forgetting when he was VP...
Here’s the thing: If you buy the narrative that both Trump and Biden are cognitively unfit for office, then consider who each have had in their cabinet and in a host of appointed offices, who their advisors are, etc. it is extremely clear to me that Biden appointed and relies on advisors who believe in democracy and whose values align most closely with what I think is best for the country and its people.

Trump mostly surrounded himself with amateurs, no-nothings and sycophants, with only a few who had actual experience and expertise to carry out the duties of their job.

Frankly, we were lucky that he mostly filled posts with incompetents. We won’t be nearly so fortunate next go-round. Project 2025 is linger up with an army of people with credentials and knowledge to turn this democracy into a theocracy. Frankly, they are his only hope of being ejected. The only question is how quickly he would be deposed for incompetence or general unfitness after he is elected. It would take generations to recover from such destruction.

Here’s the thing: If you buy the narrative that both Trump and Biden are cognitively unfit for office, then consider who each have had in their cabinet and in a host of appointed offices, who their advisors are, etc. it is extremely clear to me that Biden appointed and relies on advisors who believe in democracy and whose values align most closely with what I think is best for the country and its people.
Biden's key advisors are Mike Donilon, Ron Clain, and Ted Kaufman. Three men very much like him, aging centrist Party politicos who mean well but struggle to understand the current state of affairs or how to respond to a world and public that makes up its mind about things in minutes while they spin their wheels for days.

Trump's advisors are a mix of direct family members of his, and a rotating crew of sycophantic morons, crooks, and lobbyists who are willing to say any damn thing (or nod along to whatever he's saying) long enough to pursue their own disturbing agendas while they're still somewhere near the nucleus of power.

A large majority of the people who were in Trump's cabinet said he should never get near public office again.

Biden's key advisors are Mike Donilon, Ron Clain, and Ted Kaufman. Three men very much like him, aging centrist Party politicos who mean well but struggle to understand the current state of affairs or how to respond to a world and public that makes up its mind about things in minutes while they spin their wheels for days.

Trump's advisors are a mix of direct family members of his, and a rotating crew of sycophantic morons, crooks, and lobbyists who are willing to say any damn thing (or nod along to whatever he's saying) long enough to pursue their own disturbing agendas while they're still somewhere near the nucleus of power

Trump's advisors are a mix of direct family members of his, and a rotating crew of sycophantic morons, crooks, and lobbyists who are willing to say any damn thing (or nod along to whatever he's saying) long enough to pursue their own disturbing agendas while they're still somewhere near the nucleus of power.
Here is Biden’s Cabinet

It’s a diverse group of individuals with a lot of professional expertise.

And none of them are saying he should never be near the Oval Office again.

In their only 1980 presidential debate, Ronald Reagan posed a famous question that sealed Jimmy Carter’s political fate: “Are you better off now than you were four years ago?” Bill Clinton similarly denied George H. W. Bush a second term in 1992 by running a campaign based on James Carville’s famous expression, “It’s the economy, stupid.” Donald Trump faces a real challenge coming up with a similarly plausible line in his contest with Joe Biden. Last year, the Democratic president presided over the largest income gains in the 21st century.

I recently showed in the Washington Monthly how Biden easily eclipses Trump in categories such as how much the economy has grown, how much businesses have invested, how much consumers spent after inflation, how many jobs businesses created, and how many new enterprises entrepreneurs started. In every case, Biden’s superior record stands—even if Trump gets a pass for 2020 when the COVID-19 pandemic ravaged the global economy.

How Trump Took the Middle Class to the Cleaners

In 2016, Trump campaigned as an iconoclast, blasting former Republican standard bearers Mitt Romney (“doesn’t have a clue”) and Paul Ryan (“very weak”). In contrast to the 2012 GOP ticket, Trump didn’t divide America into industrious “makers” and parasitic “takers,” blaming the poor for their lack of pluck. Trump instead blamed America’s economic woes on the greed of self-interested elites. He posed as a selfless billionaire, vowing to betray his own interests to champion America’s “forgotten men and women” — rhetoric that echoed Richard Nixon and which is code for the white working class. (This “forgotten man” framing has always erased working people of color, whose struggle has never been the concern of the modern Republican party.)

Trump’s “Make America Great Again” sloganeering tapped into honest nostalgia for a more economically just America. The post-World War II boom created broad prosperity: The wages of the bottom 90 percent of Americans grew in line with the overall economy. But that trajectory flat-lined in the mid-1970s. And the share of the nation’s income accruing to the bottom 90 percent shrank from close-to-half to barely one-third. A new study by the RAND Institute offers insight into how different America could be today had the post-war trend continued: The median worker would be making $57,000 a year, instead of just $36,000. In aggregate, the 90 percent have been $47 trillion richer, taking home an extra $2.5 trillion in 2018 alone. What happened to the bottom’s share of America’s expanding economic pie? Economist Kathryn Edwards, co-author of the RAND study, explains simply: “The top ate it.”

A large majority of the people who were in Trump's cabinet said he should never get near public office again.

He picked some fellow criminals and utter nincompoops for his cabinet, so "large majority" may be an exaggeration.

But if we cast a wider net that includes those who observed his Presidency most closely -- top White House staff -- the chorus that has turned against him is almost deafening. Here is a partial list. Remember that almost all of these started out as strong Trump supporters.
  • Vice president Mike Pence "I cannot in good conscience endorse Donald Trump in this campaign.... The American people deserve to know that President Trump asked me to put him over my oath to the Constitution. … Anyone who puts himself over the Constitution should never be president of the United States."
  • Defense secretary Mark T. Esper "Trump is a threat to democracy"
  • U.N. ambassador Nikki Haley "United States would not survive another four years of Trump. A terrible thing happened on January 6 and he called it a beautiful day.”
  • White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson "I think that Donald Trump is the most grave threat we will face to our democracy in our lifetime, and potentially in American history.... Everybody should vote for Joe Biden if they want our democracy to survive"
  • White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham "I am terrified of him running in 2024.... I spent six years nonstop with Donald Trump, and I’ll tell you what: If Biden does decide to debate Trump, I would sure like to prep President Biden"
  • Deputy White House press secretary Sarah Matthews "I don’t think we can survive a second Trump term, in terms of our democracy.... wholly unfit to hold office every again."
  • White House counsel Ty Cobb "If that reelection actually happens, the consequences will extinguish what, if anything, remains of the American Dream.... Trump relentlessly puts forth claims that are not true."
  • White House communications director Alyssa Farah Griffin "Trump is a threat to democracy, and I will never support him.... We can stand by the policies, but at this point we cannot stand by the man."
  • National security adviser John Bolton "Trump’s not fit to be president.... He follows his own personal interest, and that’s not what you need in a president.... (foreign leaders) think he is a laughing fool."
  • White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney "I quit because I think he failed at being the president when we needed him to be that... If anyone can lose to Joe Biden, it would be him"
  • Attorney general William P. Barr "Someone who engaged in that kind of bullying about a process that is fundamental to our system and to our self-government shouldn’t be anywhere near the Oval Office."
  • White House chief of staff John F. Kelly "What’s going on in the country that a single person thinks this guy would still be a good president when he’s said the things he’s said and done the things he’s done? It’s beyond my comprehension he has the support he has.... A person that has nothing but contempt for our democratic institutions, our Constitution, and the rule of law. There is nothing more that can be said. God help us."
  • Secretary of defense James Mattis: “Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people – does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us.”
  • Secretary of defense, Mark Esper: “I think he’s unfit for office. … He puts himself before country. His actions are all about him and not about the country. And then, of course, I believe he has integrity and character issues as well.”
  • Chairman of the joint chiefs Gen. Mark Milley, seemed to invoke Trump: “We don’t take an oath to a wannabe dictator. We take an oath to the Constitution and we take an oath to the idea that is America – and we’re willing to die to protect it.”
  • Secretary of state Rex Tillerson: “(Trump’s) understanding of global events, his understanding of global history, his understanding of US history was really limited. It’s really hard to have a conversation with someone who doesn’t even understand the concept for why we’re talking about this.”
  • Presidential transition vice-chairman Chris Christie: “Someone who I would argue now is just out for himself.”
  • Personal lawyer and fixer Michael Cohen “Donald’s an idiot.”
  • Top aide in charge of his outreach to African Americans Omarosa Manigault Newman “Donald Trump, who would attack civil rights icons and professional athletes, who would go after grieving black widows, who would say there were good people on both sides, who endorsed an accused child molester; Donald Trump, and his decisions and his behavior, was harming the country."
  • National security adviser H.R. McMaster “We saw the absence of leadership, really anti-leadership, and what that can do to our country.”
  • Communications director Anthony Scaramucci “He is the domestic terrorist of the 21st century.”
  • Secretary of education Betsy DeVos “When I saw what was happening on January 6 and didn’t see the president step in and do what he could have done to turn it back or slow it down or really address the situation, it was just obvious to me that I couldn’t continue.”
  • Secretary of transportation Elaine Chao “At a particular point the events were such that it was impossible for me to continue, given my personal values and my philosophy.
  • Secretary of the Navy, Richard Spencer “…the president has very little understanding of what it means to be in the military, to fight ethically or to be governed by a uniform set of rules and practices.”
  • Homeland security adviser Tom Bossert “The President undermined American democracy baselessly for months. As a result, he’s culpable for this siege, and an utter disgrace.”

It will be amusing to see how the 2 or 3 Trump supporters we have here respond to this list. Or rather, FAIL to respond at all.

ETA: I Googled and then opened several tabs to compose the list above. But I got tired, and truncated the list after merging just two pages' worth.

While closing the unused tabs I came across a quote that supports ZiprHead's "large majority" claim:
NBC News reached out to 44 of the dozens of people who served in Trump's Cabinet over his term in office. Most declined to comment or ignored the requests. A total of four have said publicly they support his run for re-election.

1. Original video was not edited by right wing scum, as biden scum claimed.
How do you know this? Was it Russians then?
I know that because I have at least basic understanding of geometry and space.
Plus original video was shown on all major medias.

Now, why do you have debates before conventions? What's the purpose of that?

BLM protests weren't the only protests during Trump's time in office.

I don't recall anything anywhere near the level of chaos and destruction as BLM. Keep in mind that the US was for the most part in lockdown and there wasn't a lot going on.

The entire nation was on edge due to the threatening nature of Trump.
LOL, if you say so. Seemed to me only a small section of deluded loons were "on edge".
Quite a few people understood that it was a coup attempt.

Referring to Americans as vermin, communists, and saying Nazis were good people will do that to a nation. Thankfully his utter lack of preparedness and incompetent yes men helped foil his more destructive impulses during this time.

Thank goodness for that hey? Otherwise it would have been what, gas chambers, gulags, death squads?
Gulags (when they find they can't deport many of the illegals) and death squads (kill the trans, perhaps even the gays), probably not gas chambers.

Drama? Dismiss it all you want, but there's an actual plan this time. The goal is to persecute political opposition, give Trump dictatorial powers in order to bypass Congress and the Senate, require loyalty oaths from government employees, and the creation of national bans on civil rights.
LOL, you really need to stop drinking the kool-aid.
We aren't drinking kool-aid, you are.

It appears you still haven't checked out that project2025 website. That's their own website spelling out what they want to do.

If one doesn't see this as a recipe for the loss of democracy and potential mass murder, then I don't know what to tell you.

Behave yourself.
Open your eyes. Don't take our word for it, look at what they are saying!

Drama? Dismiss it all you want, but there's an actual plan this time. The goal is to persecute political opposition, give Trump dictatorial powers in order to bypass Congress and the Senate, require loyalty oaths from government employees, and the creation of national bans on civil rights.
LOL, you really need to stop drinking the kool-aid.
We aren't drinking kool-aid, you are.

It appears you still haven't checked out that project2025 website. That's their own website spelling out what they want to do.

He won't click.

Based on my own very limited samples, there are millions of Americans who consider themselves "independents" and NOT Trump supporters. They get their information from BOTH major sources of news: Facebook AND Xwitter. Their political philosophy can be summed up as "Liberals are too stupid to see that everything is same-same." When they finally vote -- if they vote at all -- they'll follow their prejudices and put the X next to Trump's name.

How are the Presidential debates in Russia working out for you?
Why do you have debates before conventions? What's the purpose of that?

Answering a question by repeating a previously asked question? Is this some Soviet-style Socrates?
I had no intention to answer irrelevant to the topic question.

How are the Presidential debates in Russia working out for you?

Answering a question by repeating a previously asked question? Is this some Soviet-style Socrates?
I had no intention to answer irrelevant to the topic question.
It is actually quite unusual to have a presidential debate so early in the season, or for that matter to have only two, or for it to be hosted directly by a media company rather than a bipartisan organization. But the candidates in this particular election were chosen for us more than a year ago, there's nothing for the public to weigh over or consider except which Party will suffer more from lack of voter enthusiasm. So I guess they're just trying to get it out of the way. Even the candidates are bored with the theater of the electoral process.

Back
Top Bottom